Author Topic: World of Warships Beta  (Read 156733 times)

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
Re: World of Warships Beta
« Reply #30 on: 28 April 2015, 23:36:17 »
So the Warspite is out for a bit for the British even though there is no tech tree at all...go figure...

I am also under the impression that it is only available from today all the way to the end of closed Beta but I don't have confirmation on that.

I don't seem to be having much luck in my BB's. Between the 30 sec reload times, slower shell speed and the usually much faster cruisers and destroyers moving around, I am lucky to get a few hits in before getting worn down or taken out by torpedoes. I guess I just really need to get better at plotting course and speed of the enemy ships and my own shell velocity.
Made by HikageMaru

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #31 on: 29 April 2015, 00:02:33 »
Those reasons really make me prefer the Destroyers and Cruisers. Torpedoes are the great equalizers, there is such a great thrill that comes with stalking a BB with my DD, in the hope of get off a devastating torpedo salvo. One the game goes full, I will have to get a Kitakami....
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 29 April 2015, 00:11:30 »
Yeah, the automatic secondary batteries on most ships don't do nearly enough damage to deter me if I am in a DD with most of my health. An isolated BB is a dead BB. I can usually weather the storm before getting off a killing salvo of torps.

Made by HikageMaru

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2015, 22:07:36 »
Got into the Pensacola recently.  A fantastic all gun cruiser that can lay a hurting on a Yamato until it decides to swat a fly.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

DisGruntled_kbd

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 11 May 2015, 11:26:15 »
I've really been enjoying the beta so far. 

I really like that unlike in tanks any ship can hurt any other ship if played well.

The only ship I think is bad so far is the Tier 6 Japanese destroyer.  Having 2 mediocre guns and 1:30 reload torps is not a good mix for me.

The Pensacola's a real let down after the op Cleveland.  Anything looks at you funny and you go swimming.  I vastly prefer the Mogami.  It is also sad when my friends Nagato's secondaries do more damage then I can with my main battery. It is a solid ship though and can have decent games if you're ignored.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2015, 16:10:55 »
Yeah, I have heard that the Jap DD line gets worse after tier V but I don't have anything more then hearsay and a few in game comments to back that up.

Keep thinking that the next update will be coming but no dice so far...finally got the Fuso on the Jap BB line but I am liking the Kongo more so far.
Made by HikageMaru

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2015, 10:19:12 »
Hmm all of the folks I have watched play the game prefer the Fuso over the Kongou for the larger number of guns, which I can see but them that many main turrets spread over the ship, I would imagine your more likely to catch citadel hits and such in the Fuso.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2015, 13:17:28 »
The Fuso's a heavy hitter for sure, but it does seem to have a bit of a glass cannon reputation too. Not only is it noticeably slower than the Kongo, its citadel is a lot easier to hit. I've dueled quite a few other Fuso in lesser ships and I've done significant damage.

But you do grow to love it.

I'm looking forward to the USN battleships. Plus we beta testers are getting some sorta free ship too once the beta's over, how nice of them. Personally I'm having a blast already with this game. It's an arcade naval game with just the right pacing.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2015, 22:23:13 »
Yeah, I guess I just prefer a BB that can keep up with the fleet instead of lagging in the back, plus more speed can mean being better able to dodge shells and torpedoes. Still, it's not as bad as the Warspite...

US BB's are said to be slower then their Japanese counterparts so I guess I will have to get used to the slower speeds.
Made by HikageMaru

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2015, 22:34:46 »
The Fuso isn't as responsive as the Kongo, so you have to be facing towards the enemy after firing then presenting your broadside only when you want to fire. All the while you're changing speeds to avoid easy torping.

With the Kongo you can get away with nearly last second changes to avoid fire.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 13 May 2015, 16:22:18 »
American Battleships are here.  Picked up the first three American BB's and they are pretty fun so far.  Not particularly fast, but boy can they turn.  The New York has decent range and can turn well enough you have a decent chance of dodging torpedoes.  Unfortunately you show your belly when you have to turn that hard to avoid something.  That hurt when a BB caught me turning.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 13 May 2015, 21:59:48 »
Yeah, I managed to download the update but the servers were down for a bit and I went on to do other things. Gonna get on tomorrow though.
Made by HikageMaru

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #42 on: 13 May 2015, 22:32:49 »
Using Japanese Aircraft Carriers seems like it will be an exercise in frustration as all of your(my) aircraft are slowly shot down, as their squadrons are smaller. Although in my first use of a CV i sunk a battleship, so.... not bad.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 01 June 2015, 21:03:26 »
Been playing the game for over a week now and luv it. Though I have developed a burning hatred of destroyers , both those on the enemy teams and my own after watching more friendly fire incidents to count due to destroyer players spamming torps irregardless of team mates being in the way.

Now i'll admit I have torped a team mate by accident, I fired a tight spread of fish at a grounded enemy ship ,but then one of our destroyers cut between me and the target and slide alongside of it grounding as well as if they were going to board it and they ate my torps. That's an accident launching a wide spread of torps like say 8 of them at a enemy thats on the other side of one of your own BBs and there is now way it had a chance of dodging any of them at the range fired is just stupidity.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 03 June 2015, 01:01:18 »
Using torpedoes to take out an enemy ship is definitely one of the most satisfying things I do in World of Warships. Especially a small little destroyer vs a hulking battleship.

Made by HikageMaru

DisGruntled_kbd

• Corporal
« Reply #45 on: 03 June 2015, 08:19:19 »
It's also one of the more frustrating things when a DD remains unspotted till within 1-2 kms away until it drops it's torps.  I've also seen Shinekaze remain "cloaked" at 2km while firing into an Iowa just by sitting idle in it's own smoke.

Granted it is an awesome time when you dodge thru those spreads, but the equipment and tier 5 concealment skill can be frustrating at times. 

They've also swung two far towards HE shells, especially with the fire and repair being on the same cooldown.

Despite this I'm still enjoying the beta, and look forward to the next wave of tweaks.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 03 June 2015, 20:34:01 »
Your not wrong there, more then one time I have looked out thinking 'Clear to port, look to starboard' only to get hit by torpedoes from portside from a destroyer that is only now just getting into range....this was all on open ocean no islands in between etc.
Made by HikageMaru

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 04 June 2015, 09:46:08 »
Your not wrong there, more then one time I have looked out thinking 'Clear to port, look to starboard' only to get hit by torpedoes from portside from a destroyer that is only now just getting into range....this was all on open ocean no islands in between etc.

Not only the stealth but the mods for reloading torp speeds need adjusting so that they can't keep up a near unending barrage of the things, though it does make when you do get to swat one of the little rats with your main battery all the more satisfying.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 10 June 2015, 15:39:47 »
So the Closed Beta may end soon and the Open Beta will start soon after.

If we have played at least 49 games then we'll receive the USS Arkansas for free, with a nifty camouflage too. You can check how many games you've played by logging in on wargaming.net and clicking on your profile.

DisGruntled_kbd

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 10 June 2015, 23:22:10 »
The Wyoming was going to be my T4 keeper.  My most enjoyable was in the Wyoming as I ran away from a failed flank, one salvoing DDs and light CAs at point blank range as I tried to dodge the torps they'd just fired on near zero hp.

If the Arkansas can dance nearly as well it should be a lot of fun.

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 11 June 2015, 18:09:07 »
I wish I had been recording one fight for my in my Wyoming, I was crawling across the board trying to get to the real fight when I spied a Omaha just sitting at the edge of my range just sitting there. Figured what the heck and tried a one turret ranging shot at it. Only one shell hit, but that plunging 12" AP round just vaporized that poor guy  >:D

My record against destroyers has improved to the supreme , satisfaction of sinking a few with torps from my Aoba, which I have finally gotten the hang of, frankly I hated it. Stock the guns were dirt and using the torps, well still is an issue as my team mates insisting on cutting between me and the other team when I'm obviously turning to set up a torpedo strike. I've all but screamed at idiots cutting between me and a enemy BB at like 5 ks range with their all gun cruiser, thinking they're going to win a gun fight at point blank with a full health BB.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #51 on: 14 June 2015, 21:28:47 »
The Myoko is the bestest Cruiser evar! Guns! TORPS! and okay anit-air! ;D I love this ship right now, and with the upgraded rudder it can actually turn a pretty well. It has all the fun of torpedoing BBs with the added fun of gunning down Cruisers and Destroyers!

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #52 on: 16 June 2015, 10:44:40 »
So I got the Humble bundle and I have a World of Warships closed Beta Key. Anyone want it?

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #53 on: 16 June 2015, 15:29:46 »
I love this game.  I play on a satellite modem and 750 ms lag is just too much to be competitive at WOT but is not a significant hindrance in WOWs.

-Jackmc

Ghost_msl

• Corporal
« Reply #54 on: 16 June 2015, 21:45:36 »
The Myoko is the bestest Cruiser evar! Guns! TORPS! and okay anit-air! ;D I love this ship right now, and with the upgraded rudder it can actually turn a pretty well. It has all the fun of torpedoing BBs with the added fun of gunning down Cruisers and Destroyers!

Only problem I have with her is the tendency to get citadel hits otherwise shes a great ship.
The Mogami is ALOT more stealthy, has 2 launchers be broadside from the start, 15 x 155mm with the option of 10 x 203mm - only problem is shorter range on the guns.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 22 June 2015, 04:05:49 »
Just got my hands on the Colorado last night.  Finally the Americans have an accurate BB.  Judging from the damage I was doing and the lack of fires i was setting with HE the shell damage was tweaked again.  AP is nice to use again.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #56 on: 22 June 2015, 10:46:40 »
*nod*

I love my Myoko and I see people complaining about the Colorado every now and again but having one myself I'm asking "Really?  This thing is way better than the New Mexico."

And yeah AP/HE really does seem to be a bit weird as far as what to use when but does seem to generally perform the way I think it should.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 22 June 2015, 14:06:53 »
*nod*

I love my Myoko and I see people complaining about the Colorado every now and again but having one myself I'm asking "Really?  This thing is way better than the New Mexico."

And yeah AP/HE really does seem to be a bit weird as far as what to use when but does seem to generally perform the way I think it should.
First full salvo fired from the Colorado netted a 30k citadel on a nagato.  And that was only the first.  I noticed the HE in the Cleveland isn't as pyromaniacal as it used to be.  AP in the New Orleans and Pensacola is back to being useful against cruisers again.  So it seems the balance has swung away from HE and more towards a semblance of balance. 

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 25 June 2015, 15:28:23 »
So apparently we just got wiped. Those who are in the Closed Beta will get a few days head start as a reward for testing. Also, free stress test.

I don't like what they've done to Destroyers, including the significant downgrade of my USN DD's guns. I'll be going down the IJN Cruiser line and maybe the USN BB line. 

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 25 June 2015, 19:04:36 »
Never really enjoyed DD's.  Cruisers usually chew me up before i can get much done.

For this beta, US cruisers, US BB's, and eventually IJN cruisers.

Register