Author Topic: Firing prone question  (Read 1831 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Firing prone question
« on: 17 May 2018, 10:30:18 »
Rules questions being answered at the rate they are . . .

So its come up and seems off to me . . . when a mech is on the ground, standard rules say it has to prop up with a arm to fire weapons- be they in the torso or other arm.  Being on the ground propping up, its a +2 to the THN for being prone.  But BMM says you add a +1 for propping on a arm, which means +2 for being prone & +1 for propping on a arm to make it a total of +3 TH?  I do not have BMM, just TW and the charts from the box which just gives the +2.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Re: Firing prone question
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2018, 11:04:32 »
BMM p.30

"Add a +2 Target Number modifier to weapon attacks made while prone, in addition to any other standard modifiers."

That is the same as TW.

What you are missing is the next line:

"One-Armed Prone Fire (Optional): Under this optional rule, a prone ’Mech with one arm destroyed may still prop itself up using its intact arm and fire any non-limb mounted weapons. Apply a +1 Target Number modifier (in addition to the standard prone modifier) to all shots made in this fashion."

That is TacOps one-armed prone firing, where you are missing an arm, and is an optional rule (otherwise you cannot shoot from prone when missing an arm.)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2018, 11:22:54 »
Okay . . . so, does that also apply when a prone mech is propping up and firing weapons in one arm?

Since it sounds like TW is 2 arm prop vs TacOps 1 arm prop optional rule
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2018, 11:27:20 »
Okay . . . so, does that also apply when a prone mech is propping up and firing weapons in one arm?
You can only fire weapons from an arm, while prone, if you have two arms.  You only get the +2.  This is the TW and BMM rule without the optional rule.
Since it sounds like TW is 2 arm prop vs TacOps 1 arm prop optional rule

That's exactly what it is.  Some TO rules made it to BMM.  The additional option in BMM is the Tacops 1 arm prop.
In TW, you need 2 arms.  You can fire the torso and one arm.  +2.
TacOps presents an optional rule, that BMM lists as an option, you can use when you have only one arm.  You can only fire torso, and there's both the +2 and the +1.
The +3 is only when you have a single arm and you can fire any arm weapons then.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2018, 11:47:20 »
And I had a raging debate with an old player a month ago who insisted that you could always use one arm to prop and fire with the standard +2 penalty.  I showed him rulebooks going back to 2nd ed. that you always needed both arms to fire from prone.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2018, 19:44:04 »
And I had a raging debate with an old player a month ago who insisted that you could always use one arm to prop and fire with the standard +2 penalty.  I showed him rulebooks going back to 2nd ed. that you always needed both arms to fire from prone.

Yeah, one of the more typical misconceptions.
In their defense, it is a little bit hard to follow when you quickly read the rules. Usually I say "Do a pushup with 1 arm", which makes it easier for some to be at peace with.
The solution is just ignore Paul.