Author Topic: One shot weapons  (Read 321 times)

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
One shot weapons
« on: 23 March 2024, 09:27:13 »
What do you think why only missiles are available in one-shot version?
Just imagine lasers and autocannons would be available in one-shot versions too.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: One shot weapons
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2024, 20:40:07 »
I think the problem is that the missile is considered the weapon instead of its launcher. That said BT OS Missile Launchers are terribly inefficient (because they are counted based on the launcher) except for the rocket launchers, because of that I think they should be removed except for Battle Armor (and only then for reenabling jump capability after a missile ambush). At least the Fusillade and Elemental have enough sense to give you two shots.

Could these be improved? Maybe, but it would have to be half the mass of the launcher with no additional penalty for the ammo.

There is an OS Energy Weapon, the Dragonsbane Pulse Laser, which is fluffed as being capable of seriously harming an elemental in comparison to a regular SRM before its optics burn out (and was featured in one of the better IC fics in LosTech). I think a Heavy OS chemical laser could be a viable weapon on Battlemechs but it would have to do a lot of damage (either 20 like a Cap+HPPC, 16 for a HLL, or 12 for a Blazer) and have some disastrous side effects if hit for it to be viable. It would also need to be short ranged (maybe 4/8/12), compact (no more than 2), a little heavy (at least 3-4 tons), and hot when popped though to make it viable (and nonviable or explodey for vehicles).

For ballistics I think the gun being the heavy part is the problem, now you could have something like a Recoilless Rifle but those are not treated as 'ballistic' as I recall. Arguably land mines, and certainly Vehicular Grenade Launchers plus the (A,B,M)-pods are OS ballistic weapons.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2024, 12:03:46 »
Once you have an autocannon or laser, adding the fuel for it is negligible.

The same rule applies for missiles, but they're lighter and they're less wasted tonnage for that and save on explosive ammunition.

Improved one-shot launchers factor away some of the reloading tonnage, but they're still not very efficient. Better than a 5.5 ton One-Shot AC/2, but still bad.

"One-shot missile systems are light enough to shrug off how bad they are," is the answer to your question, but I feel the real question is why one-shot missile systems exist at all
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2024, 15:03:11 »
Just imagine lasers and autocannons would be available in one-shot versions too.

Yeah, I designed ACs like these for my project using the metalstorm concept rather than a single-shot .  It's OK on lighter, faster units that can retreat quickly but we have options for chemical lasers that short circuited designing something with lasers.

I found the option of carrying a barrel was a big factor in designing a new weapon - RLs and one-shots are light enough to make the framework of the Racks carrying them a more attractive option.  I'm reasonably certain a 'holdout'-style weapon would be too inaccurate to be a threat outside of point-blank range without spending an absurd amount of mass for a rifled barrel.

I imagine you could adapt the chemical laser rules to single use, but with the technology as is, I'm not sure it would be useful.

*Although something like this might be interesting on the Drones I'm working on,  but the internal structure, etc, may make it an attractive option.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2024, 07:26:05 »

Because the other type of weapons are unfit for making it by one use only, while the design of missiles itself already allows it to be one use weapon. It is inevitable.

For example, if you want to make an autocannon as an one shot version? For what? Since it's all the same weapon with almost same tonnage, but only have 'one shot' amount of ammunition? All it need to be absent is the reloading mechanism 'from the ammunition cache to the autocannon', nothing more. Not to mention that it DOES requires the reloading mechanism, for autocannon needs to shoot several bullets by fast succession. So it ends up that the 'one shot' variant of the autocannon is virtually the same autocannon but only have one shot worth of ammunition on the storage. Because you can shoot more with that if you increase the capacity of the storage, you better do that instead.

Laser is similar but even worse, for one shot version means it cannot be used again, so it is more like the consequence of hyper laser, such as explodes, melted inner mechanism, etc. For infantry/battle armor their armor grade lasers are limited uses for they need to carry the battery with it, but for armors it is unlikely to be happend - at least for the weapon that is meant to be stable enough to use.

But for missiles, virtually the entire frame is the one completed one-use weapon, so why it won't work as an one-use weapon?

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2024, 09:25:07 »
Thanks for your answers.

When I thought about the OS-AC / Laser I was thinking along the lines of the LAW / bazooka anti-tank weapon.

So, a one-shot weapon to get you out of a tight spot.
And in comparison to a OS-missile system you would not make variable damage but a fixed amount of damage.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2024, 10:13:38 »
It is the way heat is tracked or not . You can a hovertank with 10 Rocket launcher 10s with next to no armor and moves to short range  and fires all the launchers the return fire becomes irrelevant as weapon phase is simultaneous.  Hidden unit with a support trailer with 10 SRM 6s iOS. It shows existence by firing  all of its ordinance then detach trailer. The tank then fights normally now that its postion is known  . Without being slowed by pulling a trailer .
« Last Edit: 26 March 2024, 11:29:04 by Col Toda »

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2024, 12:07:09 »
Thanks for your answers.

When I thought about the OS-AC / Laser I was thinking along the lines of the LAW / bazooka anti-tank weapon.

So, a one-shot weapon to get you out of a tight spot.
And in comparison to a OS-missile system you would not make variable damage but a fixed amount of damage.

The most close weapon group with what you describe is missiles, actually, and are almost nothing in common with the standard tank guns. LAW/bazooka are RPGs, and although these weapons does needs for the firing stands but ultimately those weapons are self sufficient for its own travel as well and its 'weapon' part holds not much things. But the guns are requires much quality on the weapon side as well.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2024, 22:06:21 »
Should someone point out M-Pods being basically one-shot LB-15X?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2024, 22:43:35 »
Should someone point out M-Pods being basically one-shot LB-15X?

I did actually mention it. I actually like using them on hovercraft, pop and zoom away. Rockets I use for ambushes on wheeled chassis. Tracks are for endurance but I do put VGLs on them for the crit soaking and smoke. WiGE's get Fusillades.

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2024, 23:18:27 »
I've long played with one shot physical weapons - an ax with a ton of warheads... In the Impact the damage is EPIC.😎

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2024, 00:34:12 »
Of all the one-shot weapons, I LOVE the Mpod and like the incendiary VGL.  If I read the VGL right, the inferno based one causes an area inferno hit so a squad of 4 battle armor takes 4 inferno hits, killing 1 random trooper.  I think apods are OK, much better then bpods, because apods dont explode when hit.  So they are decent crit padding in the legs while providing some anti-infantry protection.