Author Topic: StuG - Assault Gun based on the Scorpion Light Tank  (Read 2462 times)

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
StuG - Assault Gun based on the Scorpion Light Tank
« on: 01 December 2019, 23:57:53 »
One more design based on existing ones. This is a more extensive modification.

[ftp]StuG (Scorpion tank conversion)
Mass: 25 tons
Movement Type: Tracked
Power Plant: 75 ICE
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:     1 AC/10
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2880
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-D-D-D
Cost: 396,563 C-bills
Overview
Unhappy with the lack of firepower of the standard Scorpion Light Tank, a few users have converted their Scorpions to Assault Guns, equipped with a more powerful Autocannon class 10. It was renamed StuG after the assault guns used by the Germans in WWII.

Capabilities
Slightly slower and lacking a turret, the StuG is less mobile than the Scorpion and depends on finding a good spot to fire against enemy targets. The AC10 is about two times more destructive than an AC5 and the combined firepower of a lance of StuG presents a considerabel threat to any Battlemech.

Deployment
The StuG is usually deployed in combined armies units equipped with other vehicles and infantry that provide side and rear arcs cover.

History
The conversion consists on the removal of the turret and replacement of the front armor for a ticker one that incorporates the AC/10 for a much lower sillouette. Side skirts protect the tracks and improve side armor. In order to provide room and save weight a more compact engine is installed in the rear.

Type: StuG

Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)

Tonnage: 25

Battle Value: 343

Engine   75 ICE   

Cruising MP:   3   

Flanking MP:   5   

Armor Factor:   64   

Internal Structure   Armor Value

Front      30
R/L Side   12/12
Rear      10

Weapons and Ammo   

AC/10 (Front)
AC/10 Ammo (10)   
« Last Edit: 02 December 2019, 00:04:36 by kaliban »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: StuG - Assault Gun based on the Scorpion Light Tank
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2019, 04:33:41 »
Nice!  Once Fuel Cells are a thing, an AC/20 fits too!   :thumbsup:

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2019, 04:49:11 »
Unfortunately, the only advantage of a turret less design is that you have more armor for less weight, but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to have a design without turret.

Ok speed is not exactly necessary for a stug maybe you could even drop it further- it's just a better armored fieldgun?

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2019, 11:16:48 »
Unfortunately, the only advantage of a turret less design is that you have more armor for less weight, but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to have a design without turret.

Ok speed is not exactly necessary for a stug maybe you could even drop it further- it's just a better armored fieldgun?

I don't disagree. This one only makes sense because it is based on an existing vehicle. Some people prefer to restrict the vehicles in use to canon units or variants of these ones.

One hint is to use the StuG with motorized infantry to cover the flanks in case enemy units gets closer (in fact, you want them to get close just near your infantry!).

You can have a much better tank with 30-35tons and the AC10 in a turret. It is even better if you place 2 AC10 in a 65tons tank (name it Sultan and posted it some time ago).

I consider 3/5 the minimum to guarantee mobility to a combat vehicle.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2019, 13:11:26 »
One thing to consider in an assault gun design is adding a second ton of ammo for specialty ammo, if you play with that.

This way, a platoon of Stugs can be set up for a mission - eg. a ton of flechette rounds if you're facing infantry, a ton of AP rounds for city lurkers, and so on.

You don't make Stugs because you think they're the be-all and end-all; you make them so you have a cheap mobile heavy gun.  :thumbsup:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2019, 15:04:44 »
An Light Gauss Rifle refit would be a decent sniper upgrade. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2019, 16:15:15 »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought of putting an AC/10 on a Scorpion!

Assault guns.

AC/2 support gun

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2019, 17:39:40 »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought of putting an AC/10 on a Scorpion!

Assault guns.

AC/2 support gun

Remembering that Scorpion and Vedette were two tanks created when the games were still called Battledroids and the only autocannon available was the AC/5.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #8 on: 29 February 2020, 08:01:37 »
You could always try to, instead of going for the adhoc route of the late model AT STuG, rewind time a bit and go for the models that they were intended for:  'Short ranged' assault gun support.

It would mean slipping a Thumper Cannon into the mount that the AC-10 current fills but it would free up 2 tons for additional armor or ammunition.  Plus, you get an indirect fire capability, scattering instead of full-on missing, and an AOE... only 5/2 but considering that the original Scorpion had only an AC-5, this is, in general, an upgrade in capability.  On a cheap, lightweight chassis, having something you can target a hex instead of targetting directly and that can be beneficial.

Just an option honestly for a Succession Wars era model (3012 being the introduction of the gun).  I came to conclusions very similar to this one a while ago and have come to enjoy using mass, cheap indirect fire from vehicles very similar to this to back up cheap foot infantry.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 29 February 2020, 08:18:40 »
I don't think that's exactly how Artillery Cannons work...

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 29 February 2020, 21:23:01 »

In what way?

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #11 on: 29 February 2020, 22:17:16 »
pp.284 of TactOps seems to be the starting point for picking things up …
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2020, 00:07:58 »
as someone who straps a pair of AC/20s on SRM carriers, i can get behind this refit

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2020, 00:27:09 »
Artillery Cannons can't fire indirectly.  Regular Artillery can.

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2020, 12:01:16 »
According to my copy of TacOps with the retro cover, you can't use an artillery cannon to make an Indirect Artillery attack. However, the rules there also say it still works like indirect LRM fire.

However however, TacOps errata now says that you can use an artillery cannon to make a direct or indirect attack.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 01 March 2020, 12:23:35 »
Ah, so it does.  Version 3.6 of the errata has the change on page 48 of 94, referencing TacOps page 285.  Hopefully the new printing will be even clearer.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2020, 12:52:38 »
I don't disagree. This one only makes sense because it is based on an existing vehicle. Some people prefer to restrict the vehicles in use to canon units or variants of these ones.
One hint is to use the StuG with motorized infantry to cover the flanks in case enemy units gets closer (in fact, you want them to get close just near your infantry!).
You can have a much better tank with 30-35tons and the AC10 in a turret. It is even better if you place 2 AC10 in a 65tons tank (name it Sultan and posted it some time ago).

Another advantage of the StuG-pion (as well as everyone liking StuG life) is that nice low weight - if you've got map makers with a tendency for medium bridges (40CF) on minor roads, the StuG can take the minor roads and small bridges, while the heavy monsters are restricted to the main roads with the big bridges. And the StuG can still cross the bridges after they've taken a hit.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

acksed

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2020, 17:27:48 »
Scorpions also make for fairly good chibi LRM Carriers:
Code: [Select]
Scorpion (LRM20)

Mass: 25 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Motive Type: Tracked
Rules Level: Advanced Rules
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-C-C-A
Production Year: 3025
Dry Cost: 464,063 C-Bills
Total Cost: 524,063 C-Bills
Battle Value: 475

Power Plant:  75 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 32.4 km/h
Flanking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Armor: 5 tons Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  LRM-20 w/ 2 tons ammo
My Fic: [BattleTech] Not Invented Here - Technological progress is hard when you're all alone in the night... so why not send for help?

Register