Author Topic: Interstellar Ops feedback  (Read 39665 times)

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
Interstellar Ops feedback
« on: 13 September 2011, 15:48:36 »
The outline for IO has been posted and you can comment on it!

First visit the blog here and then give us your feedback.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
Re: Interstellar Ops feedback
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2011, 16:18:50 »
What about Track construction rules? Like in Wars of Reaving Campaign, but expanded to be more general in scope. Will that be included?

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2011, 16:20:32 »
That seems to cover pretty much everything I want out of that book. Two suggestions, though:

1) In the General Rules section, perhaps a subsection covering covert ops (i.e. assassination, sabotage, kidnapping high-level personalities, etc.). I don't know if that's already covered under the "Communications/Intelligence" subheading, but if not, covert ops in campaign settings definitely deserves its own set of rules (outside of gaming it out AToW-style, that is).

2) Also in the General Rules section, a reprise of something like the Public Opinion rules from the old Operation Flashpoint campaign book. Those were excellent and I think they should be a part of current campaign mechanics.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Eldragon

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2011, 16:22:12 »
I wonder what "Inner Sphere At War" is. Is that rules for a "Succession Wars"-esque or "Risk-like" boardgame?

I have to admit I've gotten hooked to "Warchest Points" and have no plans on every tracking individual C-bills again.

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2011, 16:23:35 »
So far so good...

A question about a couple of sections under the General Rules, the Electronic Warfare and Maintenance, Salvage, Repair, and Customization sections to be specific.

Are these sections-

A) A scale above tabletop play to use with the Strategic BattleForce?
B) A Scale below tabletop play to use with AToW?
C) Additional/Addendum to Tac Ops / Strat Ops rules for same?
D) Reworking of Tac Ops / Strat Ops for same?
E) All/None of the Above?

And to add to Newfeld's comment, is there any interaction of the tract system with the new rules in IO?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2011, 16:24:47 »

Creating A Force.
Will this include the possibility and/or guidelines for creating deep periphery factions? For that scale would fit well with Strategic BattleForce and Solar System Construction.

Alternate Eras.
Question: Which eras will be presented?
Suggestion: Is it possible to give each era a very short bit of fiction about a pivotal moment of that era to get people excited?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2011, 16:58:39 »
I thought Maintenance, Salvage, Repair, and Customization was already covered in Strat Ops?  I guess there's going to be a more scaled version for IO.  :)
A slight misspelling with Alterante Eras.

So now it's called Inner Sphere At War eh? Is that the easier version or the more "AccountantTech" version of ruling a stellar empire?
I do agree with the others about Track construction, rules on how to scratch build them would be helpful for those who want everything written down.
However that might fit into Supporting PDF-only Material so I could be wrong.

We're getting Colonization rules?! I squee loudly at this idea! Forward into the Deep Periphery I forge onwards leaving Terra behind!  [rockon]
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2011, 17:54:38 »
Is there going be a standard scale force that book going go by?  Regiment?  Multi-Regiment army? Division etc?

Will the era specific equipment be listed here or just kept in their various sourcebooks.  I remember mentioning the full LAM rules were to be included in this product, or have they been cut to make room?

Will there Quick-Start Rules for some of the game sets in this book? I think it maybe needed in some cases, to help easy a player into using the game.

Will there be quick reference tables for various items people need refer to quickly?
« Last Edit: 13 September 2011, 21:12:56 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2011, 17:58:52 »
Is this 'the Battleforce book', or is it a campaign book?

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

RavensPsi

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2011, 18:13:36 »
Looking this over, I really like what I am seeing here. I play Battleforce instead of Battletech. I am really wanting something where we can play on a galactic scale and this sounds like it.

http://ourbattletech.com/
Clan Snow Ravens Psi Galaxy "Nevermore"

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2011, 19:15:42 »
Can't wait. This should be better than all the rules I made fifteen years ago doing Chaos March campaigns. First day buy for me.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2011, 19:16:34 »
That outline is pretty dry.

I assume "creating a force," "running a force," "solar system construction" and "planetary assault" will be more or less along the lines of previous books. No thoughts on "miscellanous" or "scaling," and I never saw "Inner Sphere in Flames."

Other than having LAMs, no idea what the "alternate eras" chapter is supposed to be about. Debut of Catalyst's post-DA future era, maybe. EDIT: or is this instead a simple reprise of the "mercs in alternate eras" chapter from the Merc Supp books? /EDIT

Is the "general rules" chapter aimed at a specific scale of play, or what? Some of that stuff (campaign play, economy/infrastructure, chains of command, logistics/supplies, random encounters) looks to be from old merc handbooks. Is this the contract/mission generation & execution chapter? If it isn't, then what's "factions" about?

Interested to see what "electronic warfare" and "communications/intelligence" end up being, especially considering the limited treatment they get in Total Warfare and Tactical Operations.

What could "maintenance, salvage, repair and customization" have that wasn't covered in Strategic Operations? "Space travel," same question? (Are these repeated so that players don't have to buy two corebooks?)

"Colonization" is new. A regular topic on the forums, but it seems (to me) to be irrelevant outside of Successor State-level play. Assuming the "general rules" chapter is primarily aimed at merc battalions, I am curious what aspects of colonization are of interest to the typical 'Mech unit.

Not only do I have no idea what "supporting PDF-only material" is supposed to be about, I have no idea what that phrase is supposed to mean here. Where PDF-exclusive products fit into Catalyst's product line? What e-readers to choose, the etiquette of bringing electronic devices to the game table? How to end real-world arboricide?

Looking forward to the "strategic battleforce" chapter. Sensors, electronic warfare, recon units and other stuff with kilometer ranges ought to shine at kilometer ranges.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2011, 19:33:20 by skiltao »
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2011, 19:41:44 »
Well since you asked for feedback and ideas, here you go!

Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or mention of myself.

I don't remember ever seeing electronic warfare playing a part in any battle, strategic or tactical, so unless I'm just totally loosing my memory (please enlighten me) I really can't see how that would add to the game much and would just add a rule people may end up avoiding.

Looking forward to the updated solar system construction, I have an app I wrote that uses the old explorer corps rules, it'll be nice to program that update ;)

Economy/Infrastructure.  I'm not really looking forward to the economy rules, I thought they were a way to restrict/enhance factions too much in the ISIF rules posted in CO.  They really didn't add to the game much, but if they are more scalable without fixed limits they would be a nice optional rule.  I *really* think that money shouldn't be an issue, ever.  Instead planets produce a # of raw materials (type irrelevant), and factories need X number of raw materials per 1K BV output or some such.  This way the populations just don't matter, your restrictions on production are how many resources you can get from your systems and how many factories you have.  This also explains what ties up the civilian jumpship I mention later.

Factions.  It'd be really neat if each faction had some advantages/disadvantages.  Nothing significant, perhaps Davion is a bit better without a strategic commander, Liao works better when combining units, etc.  Something to give each faction some flavor would be a cool thing.  Thought with 50+ factions it would have to be either really extensive, or simplified into quirks or something.

Communications/Intelligence.  The ISIF rules in in CO were really good on this.  Some fixed limits may be necessary (perhaps based on training facilities or something), but those rules were really a step in the right direction and I hope to see them further enhanced.  Communications are rough though, on one hand you can give rules on using the HPGs for communications, but on the other hand you can't really make people write orders down in advance or you also need a ref.  It would be a neat optional rule to have say 10-20 different commands you can give to units, and then just write them on a piece of paper or something in order.  This way if communications are "lost" they would fall back to the orders previously given.  This would make communications essential if you want your units to be versatile, and would really show why the 4th SW was so successful for Davion as Hanse gave individual commanders quite a bit of leeway.

Personalities/Nobility.  These rules in ISIF were ok, but I think would need extended a bit.  Aside from just LD, also give a couple other factors, kinda like succession wars did.  Perhaps each has a Leadership, Strategy, Tactics, and Administration, which worked ok.  Some leaders are great leaders, but not so great soldiers, others may be great on the battlefield, but horrible when commanding it, etc.  Also, the list was never very complete, each region needs its leaders, each faction, and a few additional ones.  I'd avoid leaders on specific military units however, unless ya'll are willing to list all 500+ mech regiments in a dozen different eras ;)  Leaders could be abstracted as well.  You'd have a faction leader, randomly determined from a d6 roll, and each major region gets a leader, from another roll, etc.  This way its different every game, sometimes you'll have better leaders in different locations, etc.  Loyalty was neat, but I think it should be more abstracted to make playable.  Some units for example would only be loyal to their regional commanders, and if that commander was bribed, those units would in turn act differently.  There is a lot of fluff to support that (Syrtis Fusiliers, Skye Rangers, etc).  Also, to avoid needing hundreds of players, just have a bribe force a loyalty check, if that check fails have a dozen or so random events (like going after the Wolf's Dragoons with all your forces).  This way you don't get excessive with factions and who is loyal to who.

Space Travel.  Woohoo!  This should really be pretty simple tho.  1 week to recharge your jump drives (sure its more or less, but do you really want to list all 3000 systems?), 1 more week to transit to/from the planet.  I really can't see having any more detail on this, *unless* there are plans for a map or showing detail on all 3000 systems, then I'd definately welcome it and would be happy to program a computer to do it for you :)  When it comes to JS/DS though, this is weird.  The original numbers of 2500 JS and 25000 DS worked well if you discounted fasanomics, which I think IO *has* to address somehow.  If you use the updated numbers in SO, JS simply become to commonplace that moving a regiment is like hailing a cab in NYC when your in a suit and holding up a wad of $100s.  The old numbers however actually did work really well.  2500 jumpships, 5 houses, roughly 400 per house (plus periphery & corporate).  Half those are civilian, so make it down to 200.  Treat them in small groups of 3-6 that carry 10-15 dropships, and you have a number of about 50 jumpship "factors" per house.  You can take more, but you would loose the economy for the region you took them from.  The same sort of thing with Dropships, 25000, groups of "10-15", half civilian, roughly 300 "factors" per house.  As 1 jumpship factor carries 1 dropship factor, you simply can't move everything all the time.  TIkonov would have been taken with 25 JS and 25 DS factors (roughly 50% of the Davion JS's).  Group DS's into assault, mech transport, aerospace, cargo, etc flotillas.  They can easily be abstracted by house (5 assault dropship points available, pay 5 RP per turn to use or something), or tracked individually. 

Colonization.  Woohoo again!  I have no idea what would be in this part, but it would have to have some limits to avoid players colonizing those other 110,000 systems in the inner sphere.  I'd recommend just sucking up resources that normally would be used for production of units and JS/DS for a duration.  This way its simply hard to do, not impossible, but probably only going to occur in really long games.  The game shouldn't be about colonization IMO.

Random Encounters.  Pirates, plagues, viruses, tratiors, meteors, some planet that apparently once per 1000 years has a "noah's ark event", etc, etc... a few pages and a couple hundred of these could be a real element to throw into a game, perhaps some of the bad things could be avoided if adequate resources (JS/DS/Materials) were applied to prevent it.

Though it wasn't mentioned, I *REALLY* think there needs to be a way to model how war declines technology.  In my own models and math, my ideas led me to use "technical groups".  These groups are only created at "technical schools", and are needed to run every factory, repair stuff, build things, etc.  A certain number may be necessary to fix a mech regiment, another much higher number to run a factory, a MUCH higher number to run a warship facility, etc.  This way when you start loosing tech groups (which can be attacked, or even schools lost) you have to sacrifice the warships first, then the jumpships, then the dropships, etc.  Its a way to show how that warship bombarding the NAIS *reduced* the ability for Davion to build everything, especially warships.  Its a way to see direct results from excessive war.  If you want to keep your units fixed and fighting, you can't be off building tons of new stuff.

Misc.  What about buildling fortifications, creating bases, building research facilities/science academies/pilot training school/etc, caching equipment (don't want to give your elite regiments old crap, and you don't have enough schools training mechwarriors to outfit a new regiment with their old stuff, so cache it).

Planetary Assault.  Since so far all the rules have scaled from 1 person (ATOW) up to lances (BF), I really think this should be kept.  Instead of having abstract planetary assault values simply use a BV ratio and something like capital damage.  Lets say you have a company of 1500 BV mechs, thats 18000 BV, lets say there is 2000 BV per "strength point", so that heavy/assault company has a strength of 9.  A light company may be closer to 3, while the best mech company possible would be closer to 18.  These are direct BV conversions, as in PA nothing else really matters (well except speed, but that is taken into account in the BV).  Now, when you want to scale up to battalion strength, simply divided BV by 6,000 as those units are 3x as large.  This way you can easily convert between the 2 scales, and better yet, have a company vs battalion battle like so often happens.  In that case, every damage point the battalion does against the company is x3, while it takes 3 points of damage from the company to do 1 damage to the battalion.  A single piece of paper could easily hold dozens of regiments depending on the amount of other detail (fatigue, morale, quality, movement, tech base, RP, artillery, aerospace, etc).  Most battalions would simply have a type (mech) and strength (#).  Some may have an artillery value like #/#, indicating a strength that could be used to a certain range, or aerospace value indicating that unit can be used in space too.  If a full map is being produced, changing systems so they have icons to denote things like vacuum, can help show how mechs are so much more useful, as they can operate there without reduction, while a tank unit (even a fusion one) may have serious reductions in capabilities (or just take 2x or 3x the damage) if they can be used at all.  This makes mechs worth it, and without having *something* to make mechs so much more useful nobody will really notice if its a mech regiment, tank regiment, or whatever aside from its strength.  Techncial groups (mentioned above) get rated by the # of repair points they can do. 

I *highly* recommend units be rated on the amount of supply it takes to do an "attack", or suffer a penalty.  This means you need supplies handy for sustained operations.  Some units may have higher attacks, but need higher supplies to use them, and if unsupplied they fall down to lesser values than those that need minimal supplies.  1 supply point may be say 1000 tons, and be enough to supply a company for a month, or something like that.  This way you can haul around supplies where necessary, and in big wars, you have to be careful not to run out in critical operations. 

Supporting PDF material.  This would be *awesome* to see all 3000 systems mapped out, heck I already have code that could do it in <1 minute, so I know its possible ;)  It would also be awesome to see a huge map, with only 1-2 systems per hex (hopefully 1), with some small details around the world (vacuum, water rich, food rich, raw materials, etc), though this is a pretty big task (computers again do it in minutes, but those values need defined and based on canon, which is FAR more time intensive).  It would be cool to see all factories in all eras, what/how much they output (1 assault 3025 mech line per week, 1 infantry platoon per week, 2 heavy omnimech 3050 mech line per week, etc).  It'd be cool to see all the units as well, though this could simply be broken down into units (Each unit has an entry for each era, like Size/Strength/Quality/Morale/Leadership/Tech/?/?/?)) but again, without a computer that'd be intensive too.

I'd love to see this game become a counter/map based game, but doing my own metrics means that even with a 10 LY per hex scale, your talking about a map 6' across (not including clans) and filled full of thousands of counters.  Federation and Empire by StarfleetGames does this, and its a great game, and I have tens of thousands of counters for it, but I kidna think that is probably out of scope a bit.... but would love to be wrong :)

Scaling will be nice, I kinda mentioned it above, I think it should be pretty seemless.  Sure, you can fight regiment on regiment, but if you throw a battalion or company in there it should be able to still interact the same (Black Widow Company did often).  One could use a rule of '3s' or something to do this.  Strategic battleforce is a company/trinary, or about 10 to 30 elements.  PA is a battalion/cluster, or about 24 to 90 or so units, ISIF regiments, etc... If SBF is a scale of 1, PA is 3, and ISIF 9.  A SBF company strength 6 vs a ISIF regiment strength 54 may get lucky and do 1 hit for every 6 hits it takes, based on leadership, tactics, etc.  This way a unit like the black widow company, when playing with particular tactics, may have a chance to do a couple hits against that regiment and escape, instead of just ignoring companies at battalion+ level, or ignoring whole battalions at ISIF level.  Many times units are deployed in battalion sizes, so battalions and regiments interacting is a *must* IMO.  Again, just use a BV scale.  This makes it really easy to detemine the strength of your unit.  Give a few other things, like if half the company or more has ECM/AEP denote it, if units have fuel limitations denote their PA range before needing supply, if a tracked unit is amphibious denote it, etc.  Basically the conversion between all 3 scales should be like a page of text, be simply, and easily allow people to fight battles in all kinds of situations, even those where one side is greatly outnumbered.

Some other notes:
 - Fixing units with lesser quality troops lowers their XP, gaining XP increases quality, pretty hard to do except in long games
 - SIL can convert easily enough:
--Technological Sophisitication.  Only higher tech planets can build higher tech units or have science schools.
--Industrial Development:  Only higher numbers can have factories that produce stuff, and the higher the number the higher its capability of producing raw materials for production
--Raw Material Dependence:  If any, it has no material output.  If really low, its the # of JS factors required to support this world (if no JS, planet can succeed)
--Industrial Output:  Mirrors the number of raw materials it creates, also the # of JS tied up in getting those materials where they need to be.
--Agricultural Dependence:  Again, # of JS necessary to keep colony from dropping morale in its region.
 - Some planetary attributes:
--Vacuum or no atmosphere:  Mechs function normally, vehicles require * to denote fusion power to function, but take x2 damage,
--Extreme Temps/Gravity (high or low):  All units gain/loose a bit of effectiveness, infantry may be unusuable unless they have XCT
 - If system details are supplied, the transit days from Z/N points, the transit days from non-standard points, and perhaps some number to denote how complicated (# of stars?) or fast (higher orbit #s?) a pirate point can be

I'd be more than happy to give up any programming skills to help with any of the mundane tasks on this for no compensation, in fact I'm nearly ready to release a new version of my cartographer that is beginning to support much of the functionality a book like this would have (system/unit generators, map of IS at any scale, etc).

Oh, and there is the old thread where something like this was asked that may have some great ideas here as well:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forumarchive/index.php?PHPSESSID=c4f1515d8c499048b54ffde62565f5e0&topic=57726.0;all
« Last Edit: 13 September 2011, 19:56:47 by Bad_Syntax »
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2011, 21:37:30 »
Electronic Warfare and the Comunication/inteligence section.

I bring these up together because I was thinking about them before I read this.  I am guessing this section could add to the the satilate section of TacOps.   IE more way's to comunicate to gain tactical bonuses and the Electronic Warfare section would give you a way to jam mechs comunications and Sat advantages.  I would also think that using Electronic Warfare could cause units to fail moral checks in a campaign game from lossing all contact with other units.

Creating a Force.....I know this has been talked about it is going to replace the create a merc from the FM.   I am really hoping this gives more options than in the past.  IE new salvage options and other misc things to negotiate on.  Example we know mercs sometimes bargan for varies size landholds.  But how many bargaining points does that cost.   I would also like some sort of a retainer contract that can be easily switched over to an offensive mission instead of just Defensive ones.

Colonization....I am guessing expanded explorer corps rules. Lots of fun things that.   I would see a lot of mining groups and Pirates needing these rules.

What does the * mean behind some of the listings?

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2011, 22:20:15 »
I'd like to see rules that break down the individual sectors of each Power into what each produces, such as luxury goods, war materials, and so on. This would fit into what Syntax is saying, but I don't know if it needs to have a TacOps sized chapter for that.
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2011, 23:07:00 »
Given those general outlines it does come across that some information is being repeated from existing books.

The rest it is kind of hard to give meaningful feedback because so little information is given about what we can expect in those sections.

For now though I will say you've got my attention and I may have trouble waiting for this one.

Arcologist

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2011, 23:11:56 »
Most of what I saw, I liked, but I do have two concerns.  The first is how much non-battlefield sourcebook fluff there seems to be in the outlines - is this book going to eliminate the "Universe Book?"  To be honest, I was always a bit more interested in that one than IO (not that I was ever going to skip IO, especially with the alt-eras parts, but it just never had quite the draw for me that UB did).

The other big concern I have is how to integrate a supplemental PDF file into what's supposed to be a Core Rulebook.  I was disappointed to see how several items were moved from "advanced/prototypical" to "tournament legal" in an appendix to Tech Readout: Prototypes, almost as an afterthought.  That seems to me to be exactly what should go into a Core Rulebook (in my opinion, it looks like an ideal "era rule" for the Republic sub-era, in IO).  Putting what should be core rules into PDF Supplements goes even further from what the stated purpose of the CRs has been ever since Total Warfare (ie, a seven-part "one stop shop" integration of all the rules to BattleTech).

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2011, 04:04:37 »
I hope we will see rules for factory construction: Socio-Industrial Levels needed, time to build, costs, and production rates (all factories, not just mech, also ASF, armor and so on). Also, the same for troop training centers.

Also, all the new rules spread out over non-rulebooks should be added in.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2011, 07:21:26 »
One thing I've run into in the past involves creating a Merc force. Some of the rules involved using character skills/levels from the unit commander's MW:RPG character as a bonus modifier to the ratings or dice rolls You didn't have to have a MW:RPG character to use the rules, you just missed out on any potential bonuses, making your rolls lower. I've played MW:RPG and I haven't used AToW (yet), but I'd like to see the rules set up so there's no benefit or penalty to using characters made from AToW or not.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2011, 07:56:43 »
Universe Introduction*
Ares Conventions sourcebook*
I hope that these two aren't just reprints of available materials (Universe PDF and Era Digest: Age of War). I understand the desire to reduce development time, but a simple copy/paste of those documents into IO would annoy me greatly.

Just a free opinion, worth exactly what it cost me to type. ;)

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw that there were asterisks behind the topics meaning they're fiction. I'll go clean my glasses and shut up.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 07:58:41 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2011, 10:13:07 »
Looks very good. I wonder if there will be a section about mass media and propaganda? To be able to put the right spin on certain events would be nice. Perhaps to influence the general popolation to support or rebel against a leader/government.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #21 on: 14 September 2011, 10:18:23 »
Colonization....I am guessing expanded explorer corps rules. Lots of fun things that.   I would see a lot of mining groups and Pirates needing these rules.

Colonization would be tricky to handle. Establishing a sizable, useful colony that does something other than digging for one rare mineral is a work of generations, which runs beyond the average campaign length.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2011, 11:12:06 »
Looks very good. I wonder if there will be a section about mass media and propaganda? To be able to put the right spin on certain events would be nice. Perhaps to influence the general popolation to support or rebel against a leader/government.
mmmm Popular Opinion rules from Operation Stilletto or was it Flashpoint? Anyways, yes that would be nice  [applause]
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 14 September 2011, 11:14:20 »
Colonization would be tricky to handle. Establishing a sizable, useful colony that does something other than digging for one rare mineral is a work of generations, which runs beyond the average campaign length.

Won't a solution to take care of that is to have a preset amount a time the colony was setup prior to the beginning of the campaign?  Perhaps rolling how many decades the colony been around?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2011, 11:25:24 »
I would strongly suggest that as much fluff or non-rules background as possible be excised for use in roleplaying products or PDF-only releases. I imagine ISO is going to be a beast, and I feel like the more space allowed for all the rules, the better off things will be.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 14 September 2011, 11:32:12 »
looks like everything I might want.  I assume that force creation rules will cover something like mercenary creation? 

I agree with most of Bad_Syntax's suggestions.  The one thing I don't agree with, however is the "get rid of the c-bill" suggestion as that is what mercenaries are all about.  Many mercenary units can't make it just because they can't generate the c-bill income to maintain their expenditures.  Others just know how to make it work, till they get too big, then they seem to bottom out.  others seem to thrive as a larger unit. 

I love the scaling, but would also like to be able to quickly generate some random results between forces as well. 
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 12:01:31 by PurpleDragon »
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #26 on: 14 September 2011, 13:03:43 »
looks like everything I might want.  I assume that force creation rules will cover something like mercenary creation? 

I agree with most of Bad_Syntax's suggestions.  The one thing I don't agree with, however is the "get rid of the c-bill" suggestion as that is what mercenaries are all about.  Many mercenary units can't make it just because they can't generate the c-bill income to maintain their expenditures.  Others just know how to make it work, till they get too big, then they seem to bottom out.  others seem to thrive as a larger unit. 

I love the scaling, but would also like to be able to quickly generate some random results between forces as well.

RP, or resource points would easily be the motivating factor for mercs.  You could think of it as cash, as its used to do repairs, upgrades, but it isn't generated through taxes or paid for.  When you want a merc unit, you bid the number of RP per year they'd get.  Highest bidder wins.  You could also provide, as a house, technical support, salvage rights, and all sorts of other things that could help offset their costs.  Just don't call it C-Bills please, else fasanomics breaks the entire system down :(

Of course there could be a system for generating C-Bills from RP, or purchasing RP with C-Bills, but having C-Bills get generated by any other means would be insanity.  But the conversions would allow your ATOW mechwarrior to buy stuff worth C-Bills at his local wal-mart-tech.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 13:42:52 by Bad_Syntax »
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 14 September 2011, 13:47:17 »

Unless you play Brithright the Battletech version.

Seriously though I am drooling for this sourcebook.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 14 September 2011, 14:00:28 »
Unless you play Brithright the Battletech version.

Seriously though I am drooling for this sourcebook.

Birthright...that explains why the House Lords have been in charge so long.  Divine blood!

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 14 September 2011, 14:05:30 »

Of course there could be a system for generating C-Bills from RP, or purchasing RP with C-Bills, but having C-Bills get generated by any other means would be insanity.  But the conversions would allow your ATOW mechwarrior to buy stuff worth C-Bills at his local wal-mart-tech.

This "1 RP = (a set number, maybe with a variable die roll or something) C-Bills would be very acceptable to me.  I learned the game with C-bills and house bills, and, since I don't do the Jihad or Dark Ages, is exactly what I would use.  When you go to a RP system, then it starts towards more abastraction. I always looked at it as "You have (insert number) C-Bills worth of resources at your disposal, now what do you want to buy?"

give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Register