Author Topic: Special Abilities: CT & IT - "Reduced in Value"?  (Read 2007 times)

Captain Punka

• Sergeant
Special Abilities: CT & IT - "Reduced in Value"?
« on: 18 May 2020, 16:54:06 »
I'm confused on the wording in both the IT and CT special abilities. For example, for the CT

(p. 84) "This ability can be reduced in value and the same amount of Infantry Transport (IT#, see p. 78) added to a unit prior to the start of a game."

What do the rules mean when they say "reduced in value"?  For instance, if a combat vehicle has a CT4, does the value ("4") get reduced when it is converted to an IT capability?  I'm guessing not because the next part of the sentence says "...and the same amount of Infantry Transport...", so then I'm left confused what the reduction is referring to.

Any insights?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Special Abilities: CT & IT - "Reduced in Value"?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2020, 17:19:08 »
Means you can (before the game) turn CT4 into - say - CT3 and IT1, CT2 and IT2, etc. etc.  As long as the value - the sum of CT - remains the same across both, eg. CT and IT have to add up together to 4 in this example.

Yes, there are times I think they run the rules through an English-to-Marik translator & back.

And yes, I always enjoy picturing a flatbed truck loaded with battle armour, Keystone Kops style  :thumbsup:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Captain Punka

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2020, 17:48:40 »
Great explanation!  Thanks Worktroll!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2020, 20:31:29 »
Always a pleasure!

* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2020, 20:45:01 »
Means you can (before the game) turn CT4 into - say - CT3 and IT1, CT2 and IT2, etc. etc.  As long as the value - the sum of CT - remains the same across both, eg. CT and IT have to add up together to 4 in this example.

Yes, there are times I think they run the rules through an English-to-Marik translator & back.

And yes, I always enjoy picturing a flatbed truck loaded with battle armour, Keystone Kops style  :thumbsup:

I love having Battle Armor, equipped with clamps, jumping on a Savannah Master, or Gabriel..... imagining the visual is great for a few laughs.
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2020, 21:55:24 »
The absence of an omni-Savannah Master, just for such hijinks, is a horrifying omission, no? :D

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2020, 19:52:32 »
The absence of an omni-Savannah Master, just for such hijinks, is a horrifying omission, no? :D

Ok, now we need one.....LOL

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Register