Poll

Do you include infantry in your 'average' Alpha Strike Forces?  BattleArmor?  Both?  Neither?  Tell us why in your responses.

I tend to use Infantry when I play Alpha Strike
2 (13.3%)
I tend to use BattleArmor when I play Alpha Strike
7 (46.7%)
I don't tend to use either Infantry or BattleArmor when I play Alpha Strike
2 (13.3%)
I tend to use both Infantry and BattleArmor when I play Alpha Strike
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: How do you handle Infantry & BattleArmor in your Alpha Strike Games  (Read 973 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Hey all.  I'm curious how people are using Infantry and BattleArmor in their Alpha Strike matches.  Please let us know your normal PV you play at (or what PV you enjoy playing at the most if it varies widely), how you use Infantry and/or BA, and why you choose to play the way you do! 

Cheers All,

Mad

MarauderD

• Major
I'll start off the discussion by saying I normally play in the 500-1k PV range.  In the beginning, I mostly focused on mechs because that is what I had from the Clan Invasion KS.  I've got to say though, that I really enjoyed the games where we included BattleArmor.  I'd be open to including regular infantry, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Since we regularly play some form of objectives, BA and Infantry would fit nicely as holding units.  I've used Elementals when playing Clan, and also some Grenadiers when playing as IS.  Obviously, Elementals flexibility with Mechs as battle taxis is really nice.  I've been looking at the Infiltrator Mk II (Magnetic) so I can use them with my standard non-omni IS forces. 

Burzmali

• Private
The only infantry or BA force I use regularly is a 250 PV Smoke Jaguars Nova, five points of Elementals and a star of light omnis to carry them. As yet, the force is undefeated, but that might be more due to the Fire Moth the star contains. I also have a company of Gray Death Legion mechanized infantry using CAR1 squads loaded into IFV-style vehicles, but I haven't had a chance to field it yet.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
I don't have the commander edition for myself yet so I don't know all the official rules yet.

Even though it's AS we still play mostly early era games,and most of my group has pretty much
rejected AS altogether or they heavily modify it. After seeing the mods they can each agree with in
use it really shows how great AS can be but the official rules have missed the mark IMHO.
So far I've only used standard infantry and mostly as either cheap spotters or as cheap objective takers.

Jump Infantry in VTOLs can take objectives like nobody's business. AS or Classic.
Unfortunately they die even easier in AS though.
For the PV VTOLs make far better spotters but can't take objectives without dropping infantry.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Battle armor, yes, but overwhelmingly for Clans. I dont use conventional infantry in anything.

As for why, I’ve always loved the standard Elemental. It’s a terrific addition to the game and lets me include an infantry element that doesn’t seem like they would get immediately vaporized by a stray PPC.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 18:31:47 by ActionButler »
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
500pv ish, I use infantry now and again - usually either the artillery or cheap ground-holders that can be infuriating to remove.

Inner Sphere 3035ish currently, so no real BA access.

Register