Author Topic: gear and pilots on pre AOD mechs  (Read 4217 times)

455_PWR

• Recruit
gear and pilots on pre AOD mechs
« on: 27 January 2016, 19:34:33 »
Was there ever an official ruling on this?  IIRC, you could buy gear for units as usual, but I thought there was a discrepancy on using pilots.

Recently I have been using gear with mechs, but I only use pilots in non unique mechs.

What do you all do?

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: gear and pilots on pre AOD mechs
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2016, 21:45:18 »
If I remember correctly, the rules never actually said you couldn't, however, the rules required you to place the little paddles into the slots by the heat dial so if you couldn't do that(like if your mech didn't have slots by the heat dial), you couldn't upgrade the unit.  There was also the issue of pre-AoD units not having their weight class printed on them.  Gear cards were for specific weight classes. So for something like a DA Centurion couldn't use a piece of gear for a medium mech because there's nothing on the Centurion saying it's a medium mech.  Wizkids was weird like that.  "we're not saying that you can't do that, but no, you can't do that."

With the tournament scene more or less dead(I think a couple people still run one now and then), it's really up to you and your opponents to decide whats cool and what's not.  All I can point out is that all the points cost and balancing of upgrades was done around AoD and new mechs, and all AoD and newer mechs were designed with upgrades in mind.  If you decide to start using upgrades on older units, it's quite possible you might come up with something a little unbalanced or under costed. If you start using pilot upgrades on older mechs, I guarantee you're going to run into problems since it's possible to start seeing 14 attacks and 24(maybe even 25) defenses.  And that's before things like evade and camo.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2016, 21:47:35 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2016, 08:21:00 »
The official ruling was that you needed to insert the paddles into the slots on the heat dial. If the mini didn't have slots, you could not use the gear or pilots. Modifying the heat dial to allow it was not allowed either.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2016, 10:58:33 »
In our social groups, we allow gear and pilots on old mechs so long as they are the right weight, and with one caveat toward Unique mechs; they can only get generic pilots, so no putting Anastasia Kerensky on Kal Radick's ride. :)

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2016, 00:44:40 »
Treat every non unique mech as an AOD non unique mech.

All DA unique mechs can receive one gear and a regular, unnamed pilot. 

Extremely balanced with very few loopholes.  We of course banned artillery and TSEMP because they both severely ruined the quality of the game.
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.