Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I'm an Alpha Strike player, not BattleTech, so I'm used to how that rulebook is laid out which is the way I'm describing. Rules for individual unit types are included under the main categories like I've described so to me, that makes sense when reformatting the BattleTech rules. The BattleMech Manual has the same layout (Intro, Movement, Combat, Damage, Heat) so I would expect anything new that replaces or updates Total Warfare will follow the same format as these two rulebooks.

Ultimately it sounds like we are both on the "Total Warfare needs an update" side of the question.

We are on the same side that it needs an update.  The biggest questions are the approach and how much should be included or excluded.

The Battlemech Manual can afford to keep things simple because it's only dealing with a single unit type, not 4-7, each with their own sub-unit types.

Alpha Strike is similar as the biggest differences between "ground" units are how they react to HEAT, their Critical Hits table, and Vehicle Motive Checks.  Those Critical Hits even have the same affect across the board no matter which unit type you're dealing with.

Classic is notably different in this regard.  A Critical Hit on a Vehicle could mean that the Crew is just Stunned, or the Stabilizer on one side is now out.  Specific Location Hits on a Vehicle mean that the Motive System may also be damaged.  Infantry take Damage considerably different, taking far less Damage from Heavy Weapons, and often taking more from Burst-Fire Weapons.  Protomech Pilots take a Hit every time their Internal Structure is damaged.  Hovercraft and VTOLs have a chance to sideslip if they do a turn while Flanking.

So there is a LOT that goes in to the crunchiness of Classic Battletech that one rulebook can't quite fit.  It's doable to fit a lot in to one book, but you have to set limits or it will literally break its own binding before a year is out.

I like the BMM.  I think setting up a Manual series so that you only have to bring what you use would be a good idea.
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Most Iconic Mech
« Last post by Gray_Noton_4lfe on Today at 10:30:17 »
Commando added
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Most Iconic Mech
« Last post by Gray_Noton_4lfe on Today at 10:27:48 »
There's only one 'Mech so iconic that Catalyst brought a 100% scale inflatable statue to conventions to represent the brand, one so iconic, it became the first official plushie' Mech and the first star of a children's book, and it ain't on this list? For shame.  :grin:

Holding my vote until the UrbanMech gets its proper recognition.

Urbanmech added!
MechWarrior Hall / Re: Word Association 36: SAY WHAT AGAIN!!!
« Last post by rebs on Today at 10:26:28 »
power
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Adepticon livestreams
« Last post by Weirdo on Today at 10:14:31 »
A couple issues back, though I forget exactly which one.

It was a very tiny mention, I'm not surprised a lot of folks missed it.
Ground Combat / Re: Clan Large Pulse Lasers
« Last post by Empyrus on Today at 10:08:35 »
The Vixen moves 9/14.
Oh, so it does. So, okay, it is fast. Hmm. Must've been thinking some other similarly shaped mech (visual memory so...), not the Peregrine though.

But still only 30 tonner, and the kind that actually gets targeted with pulse lasers since it is hard to hit it with anything else. Still think my point about cLPL availability, such as in Periphery General, stands. The Vixen may be good, but you can hardly built a force of cLPLs with just it. And if one happens not to like it or doens't have mini for it... Building a force with cLPLs is hardly guaranteed option.
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Adepticon livestreams
« Last post by Empyrus on Today at 10:01:35 »
Oh. Must've missed that, unless it was in the latest Shrapnel, haven't even gotten that yet.
I'll echo what others have already said, use slow 'Mechs with some hitting power to make the first fight a fast one. Strongly advise against anything faster than 5/8/x.
That’s the most important thing.

Two more that come to mind that are both based in the players having zero previous experience in classic boardgame BattleTech: Remember that even the most basic rules and tactics are new to them.
Start lightly on the rules. Go for 3025 tech. When you’re still learning movement 101 and the basics of overheating, the rules for variable x-pulse lasers don’t add anything to the experience.
And start light on the tactics. Partial cover, torso twisting and firing arcs/attack angles are plenty enough for thr first few games to be new and interesting even when seasoned players would call it a 4/6 slugging match. That’s okay. Let maneuvering and positioning be the second tier, after the basics are covered.
Strategic Combat / SBF Engagement Control Clarifications
« Last post by Burzmali on Today at 09:38:57 »
Does anyone know of there are clarifications out there on how Engagement control should work?

Here's where I am caught up:

• What actions trigger an Engagement control check? The text specifies it is "Any time a Formation attempts to move through or out of an [sic] a hex containing an enemy formation", which reads, to me, like it is only when a formation attempts to exit a hex.
  • The term "allowed" is used when discussing movement after an Engagement control check, does this imply that, in every case, if the formations do not engage, the moving formation can elect to end their movement in the current hex instead of continuing the movement that triggered the engagement control check? If so, do they retain their unspent MP to potentially Force Engagement if the enemy formation attempts to leave the hex on the opponent's turn?
  • In what order do players declare their intent during an engagement control check? Are engagement types declared at the same time? The sequence can make a big difference in the outcome as the player that gets to declare last has a sizable advantage.
  • How is damage divided up from overruns and evasion? The rules in the combat section mention standard, artillery and indirect attacks, that doesn't cover engagement control attacks.
  • How does a formation losing its movement on an opponent's move due to engagement affect initiative? Is that unit now a sink, do you recalculate or do you lose moves off the end?
  • Of the 3 types of engagement, is Overrun the only one limited to the moving formation, or can a player declare an overrun when their opponent is moving a formation?
Catalyst Game Labs Demo Team / Re: Demo Team access
« Last post by Sorenson93 on Today at 09:37:02 »
John Hollenbeck #1241
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10