Author Topic: HBS Discussion Thread (No Spoilers!)  (Read 29108 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: HBS Discussion Thread (No Spoilers!)
« Reply #30 on: 26 April 2018, 14:44:43 »
I see what you're saying NeonKnight... I was just making a wisecrack. :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #31 on: 26 April 2018, 14:55:28 »
I don't think that the player character is voiced, I think that's your mech's computer.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #32 on: 26 April 2018, 14:55:49 »
Hey, so how does multi-player work? Don't have the game yet, and a bunch of my old college friends and I are wondering.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 26 April 2018, 14:59:58 »
3.  However there is a persistent annoying glitch. My character is male but the pilot voice is female, any way to change this.

That's not your mechwarrior, that's the mech's AI Assistant.

As for difficulty, advance through a couple of storyline missions. Suddenly, instead of fighting Scorpion tanks and Locusts all the time, you're going to be seeing Wolverines, Griffins and Manticores, etc. Meanwhile, you still have your starter mech lance. I actually had to withdraw from one mission when I got bushwhacked by a medium lance as I was engaged with a different medium lance. We got the first lance, but my mechs were all shot to hell and my mechwarriors were complaining about "extra ventilation".

Speaking of lengthy repairs, if you schedule a month-long refit but then need to fix something real quick, mouse over the repair schedule display in the top right. There should be a "reorder jobs" button or something like that that'll allow you to re-prioritize your repairs.

Hey, so how does multi-player work? Don't have the game yet, and a bunch of my old college friends and I are wondering.
Multi-player - you go into the lobby, and either find a rando game or one of the players hosts a password-locked game. Then, you do an (up to) 4 vs 4 mech fight to the death (or surrender).

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #34 on: 26 April 2018, 15:05:06 »
Thanks, NickAragua. So mo cooperative multi-play?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 26 April 2018, 15:45:50 »
It does. It'll show x/3 in the chunk section.

Noticed that like 5 minutes after I made the post...! =)

My two cents? Turn off camera pan, and action cams. Makes things go a little quicker.

Yeah, I need to do that.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 26 April 2018, 16:01:12 »
I finally learned the value of using Sensor Locks.

I was contracted to fight a mech lance (turned out to be all mediums... pretty chunky for my 2 meds and 2 lights to handle) but then they had reinforcements in the form of 4 more locusts.  Yeah you can melee them to scrape off evasion charges... but Sensor locks let you do it without having to get into melee range!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 26 April 2018, 16:28:38 »
Light mechs and sensor locks are your best friend.  Zip it to the frontline, and stay HIDDEN.  Then sensor lock and call in the acid rain so they fight in the shade.  I usually have my reserve its movement so the AI has a wasted turn trying to get around the mountain between it an my spider.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #38 on: 26 April 2018, 16:46:46 »
regarding #2:  Your "pilot voice" is actually the 'mech's onboard computer talking, not you.  You're the only one that happens for though.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 26 April 2018, 16:53:44 »

Note I don't think this is a spoiler, but if it is, Please feel free to move to the appropriate thread.

Just don't bring up any surprise events or details about the story and I think you're good.

Anyone else finding that Jenners are harder to kill than assault 'Mechs? Doesn't seem to matter what I'm fielding, Jenners just screw me over.

I'm not that far into it, but I have a Kintaro, Shad I modded to be a Griffin, Vindicator, and Orion modded to be a... well, really big Griffin.. and the Kintaro can hit with nearly everything, with the trio of PPC's scoring 2 out of 3 per turn, and it STILL takes five or six turns for a bloody Jenner to go down! I've never seen a Jenner survive ten to twelve PPC hits before when there's multiple SRM strikes going on... and it seems to just be the nature of the beast.

Everything else seems normal... well, except I keep seeing quickdraws, thinking "oh crud" and then finding out they have a glass jaw.

Oddly enough, I had the same problem with Jenners in MW:Tactics.  You'd think something with its cockpit just hanging out there would die faster.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 26 April 2018, 16:56:48 »
Well, don't forget that certain things like Guard take literally half the damage off of any attacks...
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #41 on: 26 April 2018, 18:10:58 »
Not a spoiler, but sadly, regadless of the games outcome, things are not going to go well for the Augarians. By 3050, a few of their worlds will be a part of the Taurian Concordat, and at least one of them will be dead by 3079. Several more will end up inside the Capellan Confederation by the early 32nd century
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #42 on: 26 April 2018, 18:36:55 »
It's all that evasion bonus they have.  Smack 'em with a melee attack or two.
That would mean the weapons aren't hitting, which they are since things like critical hits and armor decreases ARE happening. In fact armor is stripped clean off since it keeps saying "internals exposed"

They just won't go down (or at least STAY down) even after losing one leg both arms and at least a side torse.

It's very strange.

Unless instead of being hit or miss for damage, the damage is SCALED by the evasion bonus -- and that seems unlikely.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 26 April 2018, 19:14:02 »
Anyone else notice that for an area between the Cappellans, Taurians and Canopians we seem to run into alot of Panthers and Jenners?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #44 on: 26 April 2018, 19:36:22 »
I'm sure it was part of a trade that resulted in all the Draconis Combine Ravens in Mechwarrior 2 Merenaries.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 26 April 2018, 19:36:54 »
That would mean the weapons aren't hitting, which they are since things like critical hits and armor decreases ARE happening. In fact armor is stripped clean off since it keeps saying "internals exposed"

They just won't go down (or at least STAY down) even after losing one leg both arms and at least a side torse.

One tactic that was helping me, is especially if an enemy goes down but isn't dead,is target the head or legs to make them stay down

It's very strange.

Unless instead of being hit or miss for damage, the damage is SCALED by the evasion bonus -- and that seems unlikely.
If they go down you usually get a round of aimed shots,you might try focus8ng on something like the legs or head to make them stay down
« Last Edit: 26 April 2018, 19:39:38 by guardiandashi »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 26 April 2018, 20:26:13 »
So hey one of those "loading tips" was to remind me that I can order mechwarriors to punch out once their mechs start getting too far gone.

But there's no keybinding for it... anyone know HOW to order an eject?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #47 on: 26 April 2018, 21:07:44 »
So hey one of those "loading tips" was to remind me that I can order mechwarriors to punch out once their mechs start getting too far gone.

But there's no keybinding for it... anyone know HOW to order an eject?

There is a red button on the top of the info card at the lower left.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #48 on: 26 April 2018, 22:19:08 »
This is the most fun I've ever had with the SHD-2H Shadow Hawk.  Ordinarily the only variants I'm really fond of are the SHD-5D and 5M but the way this damage model plays out, the SHD-2H feels like the switch hitter medium it's always been billed as.  I actually want to build a lance around the classic 55 ton trio and a Phoenix Hawk, and I might even not hold out for the WLV-6M the way I usually do with the AC/5 damage buff.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 26 April 2018, 22:24:00 »
The Phoenix Hawk is not in the game at the moment. (And Wolverine 6M needs to be recreated manually from 6K.)

My company has a Shadow Hawk 2H configured with three SRM-2+, an AC/5+, and a ML+, and three extra jump jets. Surprisingly useful skirmisher.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #50 on: 26 April 2018, 22:29:14 »
I have take a slightly different route, I have refitted my SHD-2H Shadow Hawk into a mini-Longbow with 2x LRM10 and a LRM5.

I needed an in-direct fire support mech and it was the only chassis that I have which could do the job. Not perfect but it will do until I can get my hands on a proper fire support mech.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #51 on: 26 April 2018, 22:29:51 »
I might have to try those variations but the baseline SHD-2H is serving me pretty well in the Periphery kiddie pool.  (Haven't gotten out yet because I haven't had a lot of time to play the game during the week.)

As for new 'Mechs, somehow I believe modders may be solving that problem for us eventually.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #52 on: 26 April 2018, 22:44:21 »
Hopefully that problem will be solved for us with prejudice soon  ;)

I am still in the kiddie pool too. Taking my time on a 2nd attempt after the first story-line mission taught me a lesson on the cost of Pyrrhic victories and I am now enjoying myself much more as I have a better understanding of how the game works and taking my time to explore all the corners of the kiddie pool before I try wading out into the deep end again.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #53 on: 27 April 2018, 00:47:31 »
More comments and questions.

1.  Sometimes internal damage takes a day or two, sometimes damage which is no worse takes a month.  Is this the penalty for using a custom mech?

2.  If I mothball a mech there is no button for returning armament, but there is if an arm is blown off.  I can replace a laser on an arm in a day, and build a mech from three piles of scrap even faster, but a mothballed mech takes a month to prepare.  I like that there is a penalty to mothball, but repairs seem random to me.

3.  The free mech I get from the hold after the second storyline mission on the moon.  Is there any way to add default armament to it.  It gives a unit type designation, but I can only assemble a custom  build, I cant seem to build stock, and thus all damage is on a 30 day timer except armour repair permanently.

4.  Can I change mech designations so I can see a glance that my Locust -1M is not a 1M.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #54 on: 27 April 2018, 00:54:15 »
Ans 4. From what I have figured out, you can edit the name of the mech from "Locust" to something custom but you cannot change the chassis designator displayed under it of "Locust LCT-1M" on the mech bay screen.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 27 April 2018, 01:01:16 »
I’m running a custom Centurion as my CO’s Mech (vale piece of crap Blackjack...) which mounts jump jets, LRM-10, two medium lasers and an AC-5. Vindy is also a custom ride after it was badly junked. Dropped small laser for a bigger LRM rack.

And finally! Finally, I’ve collected enough parts to build myself a Jenner. And it’s a beast!

Currently sitting on some backward planet near the Liao border that’s the Cappies seem to want to re-take. I’m equally helping the CapCon and the besieged planetary government - ie: good times to be a mec!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #56 on: 27 April 2018, 01:04:20 »
What are the repair times on your custom Centurion?
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #57 on: 27 April 2018, 01:30:44 »
A streamer I'm watching has renamed the Blackjack "the Coffin". On his pre release play through he lost 2 mechwarriors in it to head shots and badly wounded his main character twice... 🤣 I suggest you put in storage and never look back...
CohhCarnage?

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #58 on: 27 April 2018, 06:55:18 »
During a mission one of my mechwarrior just said "Show me your war face."  8)

Semper Fi Gunny Ermey.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 27 April 2018, 07:28:11 »
What are the repair times on your custom Centurion?

I think it was 20 odd days - but I had two pilots WIA and out of action for 25-30 days, so I was able to suck it up

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Register