Author Topic: Harebrained Schemes Bought by Paradox Interactive  (Read 3860 times)

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Harebrained Schemes Bought by Paradox Interactive
« on: 05 June 2018, 13:34:17 »
Looks like HBS is going to become a independent studio of Paradox.  At least they say more Battletech is coming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2202501

« Last Edit: 05 June 2018, 14:19:37 by Bedwyr »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Harebrained Schemes Bought by Paradox Interactive
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2018, 13:38:26 »
Wow. Now that's news. I thought they would have wanted to stay independent. At least Jordan and Mitch have done that before and know what to expect of such processes. Also Paradox is a good home for strategy game makers; they respect big games and long term support.

edit: I should also add while watching the video is that Mitch and Jordan's attitude appears to be primarily one of relief. Running a video game studio is really hard (even if you're a serial entrepreneur) and this has to be a load off their shoulders.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2018, 13:42:54 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2018, 13:52:18 »
Seems like the future of Battletech on PC is safe. :)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2018, 13:57:45 »
Official Press Release.
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-to-acquire-seattle-based-harebrained-schemes/

7.5 Mill......wow......

Not a bad chunk of change for a studio that started out making a cellphone game with a Crimson Skies name association (Crimson: Steam Pirates).
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2018, 14:18:25 »
From RockPaperShotgun: "As a big hullo, Paradox say they’ll give a free copy of Stellaris to everyone who backed BattleTech’s Kickstarter campaign." I'm not entirely sure where they got that, but big, if true. I still haven't picked up a copy and would like to try the game.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2018, 14:19:55 »
For the benefit of the PC game players, I've split this into its own topic.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2018, 14:20:26 »
Good for HBS.

I'm really happy to see all of their hard work on the BT and Shadowrun universes rewarded. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2018, 17:03:21 »
From RockPaperShotgun: "As a big hullo, Paradox say they’ll give a free copy of Stellaris to everyone who backed BattleTech’s Kickstarter campaign." I'm not entirely sure where they got that, but big, if true. I still haven't picked up a copy and would like to try the game.

Cool....except I already own Stellaris :(

But more Battletech? YAY! :D
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2018, 00:51:40 »
Must curb my wishful thinking that maybe this means we will get a Hearts of Iron/Stellaris meets Inner Sphere at War game.

Random

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2018, 01:58:17 »
Must curb my wishful thinking that maybe this means we will get a Hearts of Iron/Stellaris meets Inner Sphere at War game.

What gods do I have to sacrifice to get this and what is their sacrifice of choice?
Can we throw some Crusader Kings II in there as well?  I want my Blind, Eunuch, Mentally unstable heir........just when you think of have your dynasty sorted out.........

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2018, 15:09:11 »
Can we throw some Crusader Kings II in there as well?  I want my Blind, Eunuch, Mentally unstable heir........just when you think of have your dynasty sorted out.........

Found the Capellan...
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2018, 20:22:38 »

What gods do I have to sacrifice to get this and what is their sacrifice of choice?

Crusader kings mixed with Vic2 and Stellaris set in battle tech.... take my money!

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2018, 03:40:55 »

OMG, a Inner Sphere at War computer game with Crusader Kings II elements would be like THE BEST game ever since the invention of games!

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2018, 12:03:33 »

I'd buy that. I'm pushing 900 hours in CKII over the last 6 or so years of owning it.

That aside, I'm cautiously optimistic about the purchase and I'm looking forward to see what comes next for the Battletech games.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2018, 15:46:24 »
I just want Julian taken out by a manure bomb.

No really, Paradox is a great company. Stellaris and CK2 are two of my favorite games ever. Hopefully this works out for HBS.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2018, 16:14:08 »
Sounds fun.  Haven't tried Stellaris but I do like a little HoI, though I'm not sure how one could get it to work on a multiplanetary scale.

Maybe we could also get something a bit smaller scale than HoI/Stellaris, but larger scale than the typical Battletech lance or company-scale game.

Eugen & Paradox cooperated to make Steel Divisions: Normandy '44, right?  So since Paradox and HBS are now intertwined, it could be technically possible for cooperation between HBS and Eugen.

So here's my pipe dream: A Battletech-ified Wargame:Red Dragon.  A tactical RTS w/ a focus on combined arms would be interesting in terms of the BT universe.  Combined with Red Dragon like mechanics where you can make custom deck with some faction specific equipment (Catapults for Cappies, Panthers for the Combine, etc), and in BT there's certainly no shortage of factions.  In theory one could cover multiple eras.

PvE campaigns could be interesting too.  How about fighting off clans in the Battle of Tukayyid as the Com Guards?  Commanding a section of coalition forces in the Battle for Terra vs the WoB near the end of the Jihad, including some of the Word's superweapons and other fancy machinery like Rattlers, Wyrms, Castle Brians, Omegas to encounter?  Trying to not be instantly vaporized as a Society Cell with a handful of fancy Society technology and Ultra-Protomechs but mostly a bunch of downtrodden, untrained dark caste militia to protect your existence from an angry clan galaxy about rain in and knock down your door?

Well, a guy can dream can't he...

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2018, 21:36:26 »
Interesting video about the purchase, very business orientated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn8iCTHzON0

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 17 June 2018, 10:31:07 »
Interesting news... but how do I get the offer from Paradox? (the free Stellaris)
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 17 June 2018, 12:41:34 »
It was supposed to show up in your backer kit last week or so, but supposedly some Swedish holiday threw off their schedule so we're waiting for the ever so popular "soon" now.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2018, 12:47:19 »
It was supposed to show up in your backer kit last week or so, but supposedly some Swedish holiday threw off their schedule so we're waiting for the ever so popular "soon" now.

Oh! Ok... thx.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Androsynth

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2018, 12:47:22 »
Cool. I've always liked Paradox's products, this seems like a great fit.

I'll second the 'Crusader Mechs of the Inner Spehere' suggestion. Combing Battletech with a 4x game sounds like genius.