Author Topic: Cheap Plastic Tank Minis  (Read 12503 times)

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
Cheap Plastic Tank Minis
« on: 25 January 2011, 21:38:08 »
Question, looking at these, how do you think they'd scale to Battletech and do you think they'd look decent painted up?

awclawson

• Captain
Re: Cheap Plastic Tank Minis
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2011, 21:42:57 »
I think they would be good.  Are they plyable rubber?  I have some rubber spaceship type figures from a gum ball machine.  They painted OK but the paint will peel if they bend.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy states: "There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

Leonard Kerensky

• Sergeant
  • The smart ones know when to duck.
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2011, 21:48:37 »
well, given what you have as a scale refrence (a quarter), i put that side by side with my metal Behemoth and my scratch built behemoth tanks and those look to be about heavy  or high end medium range scale wise.

paint'em up! it looks good to me, and should be more than enough to get the point across. (or at the very least a guass round between the shoulders of a mech)
Overkill is only overkill when you cannot find the pieces.

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2011, 22:15:53 »

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2011, 22:18:15 »
The trick on rubber is to give them a coat of shellac first, then paint the shellac. There's a brand I use (can't find the can right now) that works great with just a thin coat.

It also helps stop the peeling if you alternate a quick pass of testors dullcoat between each color layer... this works with the 'very likely to peel' cheap craft paints too -- which is why I generally use the 49 cents a bottle walmart stuff.

See my crappy old Fire Falcon tutorial.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 03:07:14 »
Question, looking at these, how do you think they'd scale to Battletech and do you think they'd look decent painted up?

well, given what you have as a scale refrence (a quarter), i put that side by side with my metal Behemoth and my scratch built behemoth tanks and those look to be about heavy  or high end medium range scale wise.

More like light or Med I would think.  :-\
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 04:44:27 »
I think they might work as Scorpions.
Or a Varient style of Scorpion.

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 05:27:54 »
With a bit of conversion work they could make for a great (cheap) range of plastic BT (or sci-fi) tanks. Some plastic bits for missile pods or different/additional guns. Great for cheap local Militia tanks!

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 18:16:28 »
The trick on rubber is to give them a coat of shellac first, then paint the shellac. There's a brand I use (can't find the can right now) that works great with just a thin coat.

It also helps stop the peeling if you alternate a quick pass of testors dullcoat between each color layer... this works with the 'very likely to peel' cheap craft paints too -- which is why I generally use the 49 cents a bottle walmart stuff.

See my crappy old Fire Falcon tutorial.

They're actually PVC board game pieces. They probably have about the same consistency as the current line of plastics.

More like light or Med I would think.  :-\

Heh. One guy says light/medium, another says medium/heavy.  ;D

Great. Now I'm confused, but at least I know they ain't too small to use!

paint'em up! it looks good to me, and should be more than enough to get the point across. (or at the very least a guass round between the shoulders of a mech)

Or an AC round depending on era. I'll order some next week and see how they look painted up.

Which color you think would prime over the nicest?

I think they might work as Scorpions.
Or a Varient style of Scorpion.

I'm not sure. They look a big heaver than the scorpion, but to be honest, that was my first thought as well.

Maybe stat it something like this as default? http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=383.0

Make it like a Super Scorpion?

With a bit of conversion work they could make for a great (cheap) range of plastic BT (or sci-fi) tanks. Some plastic bits for missile pods or different/additional guns. Great for cheap local Militia tanks!

I'm always open to ideas. What suggestions do you have for modding them. I'd by them in lots of 25 so it's not like there isn't room to experiment!

Schottenjaeger

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 18:43:32 »
I bought a stack of them. They paint up okay, and they're a dream to convert compared to most tanks that scale.
Paint sticks well, and with a little work they can look really good. Make sure to wash off the mold release, but that's a given. The material is a hard plastic that works well.

Couple warnings:
Flash. It's ugly, and the front underside of the tank needs serious file work to look good.
Scale: These things look like 20-tonners. They do scale well with Micro Armor models, but not so well with Battletech armor.

If, like me, you're okay with packing a full 2 companies of Scorpions, then go to it - with the ease of conversion, I made several LRM and RL/LAC-5 versions then used the leftover guns to make the new twin LAC5 variant and various other things. 
If you have the box set minis handy, the tank itself is about as long and deep as the body of the Catapult.
Standing proudly on other pilot's cockpits since 1997

LordChaos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 18:48:26 »
As a fan of the lowly tank, I'd be interested in seeing how they look next to btech tank or mech.  I could easily see myself ordering a regiment or so....
There is no problem that can't be solved by C-4.

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 19:16:32 »
I bought a stack of them. They paint up okay, and they're a dream to convert compared to most tanks that scale.
Paint sticks well, and with a little work they can look really good. Make sure to wash off the mold release, but that's a given. The material is a hard plastic that works well.

Oh! Got pictures?

Couple warnings:
Flash. It's ugly, and the front underside of the tank needs serious file work to look good.

How bad?

Scale: These things look like 20-tonners. They do scale well with Micro Armor models, but not so well with Battletech armor.

Yeah! Cheap Scorpions!  [rockon]

If, like me, you're okay with packing a full 2 companies of Scorpions, then go to it - with the ease of conversion, I made several LRM and RL/LAC-5 versions then used the leftover guns to make the new twin LAC5 variant and various other things. 

From the sound of it the AC conversion is simple. Snip off barrels and use only the front half on the ones with the duel LACs. How did you do the LRM conversion? Did you relocate the MG? Got any pictures?

If you have the box set minis handy, the tank itself is about as long and deep as the body of the Catapult.

I wish I did...  :-\

*mutters about wishing the boxed set*

As a fan of the lowly tank, I'd be interested in seeing how they look next to btech tank or mech.  I could easily see myself ordering a regiment or so....

Yep! Another request for pictures!

Show us your conversions!  ;D

maddyfish

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 22:24:37 »
I think those would look good painted. Also candidates for some kit bashing.
Have Wasp, will travel

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2011, 02:08:13 »
100 tanks for... $33.00? Holy hey-zues! Anti-mech spam, here I come!!!
Maker of big things.

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2011, 18:03:04 »
I think those would look good painted. Also candidates for some kit bashing.

Yeah. I've asked Schottenjaeger to put up some pics when he has the chance.

That's what I'm thinkin'!  [rockon]

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2011, 18:40:29 »
As long as it fits in a hex I wouldn't angst about them not being perfectly to scale.
For something smaller you could easilly remove the turret, cut the body into quarters, trim the cut surfaces down, and glue them back together. Shave the back and sides of the turret and glue it back on.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2011, 04:49:15 »
Any painted pics yet?

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 03 February 2011, 20:33:10 »
Ask Schottenjaeger. I haven't been able to buy any yet so they're his pics. I'm not about to go bug him quite yet though...

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #18 on: 04 February 2011, 09:43:32 »
From the size reference, they do appear to be a littls small, but in any game, sub out what you don't have with what you do. I remember playing chess during lunch in high school with paper. We made a board with paper and pencil, tore rought shapes of paper and put letters on them to mark the pieces.

This would be so much more recognizable then that ;) But if your going to use them to proxy, make sure to mark them. I still can't help but thinking, just from looking at these, that you should cut Risk infantry soldiers in half and glue them to the tops to make tank commanders, maybe a head near the front for the driver ;) Make sure to match the colors  [brew]

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #19 on: 04 February 2011, 12:56:21 »
I picked up a company worth of these tanks.
I use them as generic militia Scorpions.
I have modded a few by adding the upper half of SRM/LRM launcher techs from MWDA minis as tank commanders.
I removed the MG off the turret, and moved it to the bow plate.
Additionally, I've pinned in a few antennas here and there.

One of these days, I'll try to create the Laser, SRM and LRM varients with the MWDA scrap I have laying about.
Modding these is VERY easy.

I havent' painted any yet, tho.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 04 February 2011, 19:34:56 »
From the size reference, they do appear to be a littls small, but in any game, sub out what you don't have with what you do. I remember playing chess during lunch in high school with paper. We made a board with paper and pencil, tore rought shapes of paper and put letters on them to mark the pieces.

This would be so much more recognizable then that ;) But if your going to use them to proxy, make sure to mark them. I still can't help but thinking, just from looking at these, that you should cut Risk infantry soldiers in half and glue them to the tops to make tank commanders, maybe a head near the front for the driver ;) Make sure to match the colors  [brew]

Or you can just use them as Scorpion and get "Ye Olde Death Swarme of Militia Light tanks"

Schottenjaeger

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 04 February 2011, 19:59:01 »
Sorry it's taken so long, guys. GF's good camera is apparently broken, so I'm just gonna throw up some half-way decent cellphone shots. As you can see, the mini is a good scale. Apologies for the rotation - apparently Imageshack is convinced they go that way.

<edit: removed mucho fail cellphone pics>

And yes, that thar's a French flag, not Iraqi. Although the irony of the paint scheme has not escaped me...
« Last Edit: 05 February 2011, 06:59:20 by Schottenjaeger »

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 04 February 2011, 22:33:58 »
fact it's a camera phone kills the detail, but that actually doesn't look half bad! :)

Schottenjaeger

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2011, 06:58:42 »
Finally - Got the camera running. Have some 10Mp goodness. The paint's not up to my standards, but then that's why 99% of my battletech collection just got stripped. :P Dratted flaky primer.

Anyway

Gallery of the shots
http://img528.imageshack.us/g/awesomescorpsandjenner1.jpg/

Minis are a 5e box set Jenner and Awesome - which is only slightly shorter than the standard pewter, and everyone should have at least one copy of that bad old girl.. Didn't include the LRM conversion in these shots. I can try other mechs and positions (within reason), but I don't have any actual Battletech vees (It's always been cheaper to pick up Starsiege and micro armor ^^; .)
« Last Edit: 05 February 2011, 07:00:13 by Schottenjaeger »

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2011, 07:22:55 »

At that price it would make fielding the entire Armor Brigade of an RCT affordable.

maddyfish

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 05 February 2011, 09:01:01 »
Those look pretty good
Have Wasp, will travel

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 05 February 2011, 16:45:16 »
Thanks dood! These look great! I'd love to see the LRM version

Just one question... anyone who has Btech tanks able to point out a tank on tank comparison based on the pics?
« Last Edit: 05 February 2011, 17:50:26 by Psyckosama »

Register