Author Topic: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End  (Read 10081 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End
« Reply #180 on: 24 March 2024, 17:21:05 »
for its faults, Crunchyroll doesnt censor anything. If anthing's blurred or steamed out, thats on the broadcast version that Japan also gets. If you're discussing the 'see everything' versions, that's purposely done by the studio to increase disc sales. Thats not anything Crunchyroll (or any other service) is doing just for giggles.
Don't Blueray disks also get animation touch ups? To upgrade the animation quality or fix errors.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #181 on: 24 March 2024, 17:22:11 »
I asked this question on Macrossworld (in regards to news about The Mouse and Ma-cru-oss becoming a thing, streaming services-ish) but I'm leery (since most folks here sneer at his mere mention):

What does Doomcock think about Disney getting the International rights to Macross (as opposed to, say, Crunchyroll)? Oh heck, what do YOU think about this?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #182 on: 24 March 2024, 17:24:47 »
I asked this question on Macrossworld (in regards to news about The Mouse and Ma-cru-oss becoming a thing, streaming services-ish) but I'm leery (since most folks here sneer at his mere mention):

What does Doomcock think about Disney getting the International rights to Macross (as opposed to, say, Crunchyroll)? Oh heck, what do YOU think about this?
International rights isn't the same as International distribution, and as far as I heard this just concerns distribution.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #183 on: 25 March 2024, 04:12:26 »
Started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes DNT. the main characters are supposed to be two competing strategic geniuses, but it seems to me that the reason they win against impossible odds is because their opponents are usually too arrogant or dumb, and so the enemy falls for their plans. I only watched about 5 episodes so far but I hope it gets better.

Sleet01

• Recruit
« Reply #184 on: 25 March 2024, 10:27:34 »
Started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes DNT. the main characters are supposed to be two competing strategic geniuses, but it seems to me that the reason they win against impossible odds is because their opponents are usually too arrogant or dumb, and so the enemy falls for their plans. I only watched about 5 episodes so far but I hope it gets better.

If you're more interested in plot than pretty pictures, definitely check out the original on, iirc, HiDive.  Still a lot of arrogant/incompetent foes, but it gives more context and I personally prefer it to DNT.
- I laughed, I cried, I fell down, it changed my life... it was good!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #185 on: 25 March 2024, 10:57:35 »
I'm very saddened by the end of Beyond Journey's End.   Which is weird because I'm still reading the ongoing Manga, but the anime was really good.

Also, went back and checked out the dub of the first episode. To say it was "phoned in" would be generous. There are so many animated shows and films with great voice acting.  Why do so few animes hire any of them!?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #186 on: 25 March 2024, 11:12:20 »
Also, went back and checked out the dub of the first episode. To say it was "phoned in" would be generous. There are so many animated shows and films with great voice acting.  Why do so few animes hire any of them!?

Welcome to the dub factory farm, courtesy of Crunchyroll - the demand for simuldubs has meant a shift from fun, quirky dubs by people with a passion for the original work into assembly-line box checking projects by directors more concerned with the cost per hour in the booth & a stable of 20 or so actors whose main qualification is proximity to the recording studio & ability to read lines in as few takes as possible. I used to be a big fan of dubs but simuldubbing has all but killed that for me.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 13:10:53 by MadCapellan »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #187 on: 25 March 2024, 11:16:39 »

The personal & political drama of Legend of the Galactic Heroes is better than it's military scenes, which mostly crib Napoleonic era tactics. It's just one of those "The author can't write a character smarter than themselves" things. The first battle is literally "No one has ever thought of defeat in detail for thousands of years!?!" You watch for the drama, not for the battles. The battles are mostly just shouting while the little red & green lines flash outside.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2024, 12:48:07 by MadCapellan »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #188 on: 25 March 2024, 11:51:13 »
Many times those same voice actors often never get to see art of the character or get a chance to know the personality of said character.  Especially if its a 1 off or virtually unknown series.  I'm also not a fan of hearing a voice that does not fit the character archetype. 

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #189 on: 25 March 2024, 11:58:22 »

actually i sent doomcick that question
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #190 on: 26 March 2024, 10:16:34 »
If you're more interested in plot than pretty pictures, definitely check out the original on, iirc, HiDive.  Still a lot of arrogant/incompetent foes, but it gives more context and I personally prefer it to DNT.
I watched some of the original, but the animation felt too crude for me to really get into. The new version has a nice opening song lol

The personal & political drama of Legend of the Galactic Heroes is better than it's military scenes, which mostly crib Napoleonic era tactics. It's just one of those "The author can't write a character smarter than themselves" things. The first battle is literally "No ine has ever thought of defeat in detail for thousands of years!?!" You watch for the drama, not for the battles. The battles are mostly just shouting while the little red & green lines flash outside.
Yeah I think Im gonna skip the battle scenes from now on since Im truly after the sociopolitical drama more as a research thing. All I end up doing when the battle scenes are on is shout at the screen about how stupid the enemy commanders are lol.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #191 on: 26 March 2024, 16:46:25 »
Joe Hisaishi Symphonic Concert: Music From the Studio Ghibli Films show
nyc this july in madison square garden.
of you cant place the name think of any studio ghibli movie and who wrote the music for them
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #192 on: 30 March 2024, 02:24:49 »
Lycoris Recoil got itself a live-action movie.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #193 on: 30 March 2024, 10:30:21 »
Just finished 13 eps of Dungeon Meshi.  Wonder if/how they will change Falin's role in this.  I wouldn't mind her being a more active participant with Laius's group instead of what happened to her in the Manga.

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #194 on: 30 March 2024, 10:54:00 »

Gundam : Requiem for Vengeance - Trailer 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fNP-ipgJA

Nuff said..

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #195 on: 30 March 2024, 11:19:06 »

*SIGH*

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #196 on: 30 March 2024, 11:21:15 »
Gundam : Requiem for Vengeance - Trailer 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fNP-ipgJA

Nuff said..

Gouf Custom spotted. INSTANTLY EPIC

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #197 on: 30 March 2024, 13:03:55 »

You have GOT to be kidding me! Why can't people keep animated stuff animated?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #198 on: 30 March 2024, 13:25:26 »
You have GOT to be kidding me! Why can't people keep animated stuff animated?
The same reasons that we get reboots, well-connected people want work & corporations want projects with already established audience.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #199 on: 31 March 2024, 17:40:46 »
At least its being done by the Japanese and not Hollywood; I trust them a little bit more. I wonder if this will be a rehash of the original 12 episodes or its own story?

Gushing Over Magical Girls: this series is the definition of NSFW but I heard the manga went out of stock die to its popularity in Japan
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #200 on: 31 March 2024, 18:34:57 »
Gushing Over Magical Girls: this series is the definition of NSFW but I heard the manga went out of stock die to its popularity in Japan

I'm not going to lie, it's a lot of fun! Not really the most forum friendly work, though.

thx1140

• Recruit
« Reply #201 on: 01 April 2024, 00:11:16 »

No, it's a live-action theatrical stage, not a movie.

Basically, it's retelling of TV series.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #202 on: 01 April 2024, 07:39:52 »
well new spice and wolf just aired in japan...my friend stationed there rubbed my nose in it...
he will be back state side on around x mas...must pay this one back...
sugar free gummie bears are definetly on his menu....

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #203 on: 01 April 2024, 08:39:55 »
Well, I finally got a chance to watch Girls und Panzer Das Finale part 4. I gotta say, Oarai did well for themselves despite the circumstances in their match. But next time they're up against an opponent that they have never beaten before, combined with a tank commander who almost defeated them in the movie. So, yeah, this one is gonna be their toughest match yet.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #204 on: 01 April 2024, 09:20:08 »
Any word on when that's getting a US release?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #205 on: 01 April 2024, 10:39:28 »
Any word on when that's getting a US release?
Not yet, but I'm hoping it'll be soon.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #206 on: 01 April 2024, 19:09:27 »
No rush; its not like we're going to have to wait two years for the fifth film anyways

I enjoyed Gushing Over Magical Girls; hope for a second season. Intense Yuri Ecci series are hard to go by nowadays

Caught the first episode of the Spice and Wolf Redux; liked the beginning with Holo recounting the tale of how she met Lawrence with their daughter
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #207 on: 01 April 2024, 20:55:45 »
Been enjoying Mr Villain's Day Off.  I have found that I really like magical slice-of-life comedies.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #208 on: 01 April 2024, 21:15:18 »
Quite a fun read too.

Been enjoying Mr Villain's Day Off.  I have found that I really like magical slice-of-life comedies.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #209 on: 09 April 2024, 23:01:17 »
So question: is there a reason why colds are treated as being so dire in anime?  It seems pretty common for a character to catch a cold and be incapacitated for a few days while others worry that they're going to die.