Author Topic: 5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry battalion, CCAF, circa 3064 (FCCW)  (Read 2255 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!

The Capellan Confederation Reserve Cavalry originated as a source of replacement personnel and emergency reinforcements for front-line CCAF units. Over time, they became more regular garrison units, and by the time of the FCCW often patrolled several worlds. After successful operations against St Ives Confederation forces, aiding the "Big Mac", the unit was rotated for internal security work. To quote from the unit's official history,

In 3064 the 5th Reserve faced pirates while on regular rotation to Zanzibar. While the regiment was on Zanzibar raiding actions by the Shen-sè Tian pirate band forced the Cavalry to redeploy in battalion strength. A green battalion of the Cavalry subsequently fought two battalions of pirates commanded by Pirate-major Kerry Wung on Muridox and handily defeated them using combined armed tactics.

This is this battalion force.

The unit was led by Sang-Wei Barbara Thistlewaite, an ex-Solaris gladiator who had answered the Chancellor's call for Xin Sheng, bringing her Spatha with her. Thistlewaite had been a competent Class IV performer, obtaining  several minor titles, before joining the CCAF. She had worked her way up to company command, before being given the opportunity to lead the pirate-hunting force.

Sang-Wei Thistlewaite's lance is led by her deadly but fragile Spatha SP1-X. Her "praetorians" are responsible for guarding her back, and letting her concentrate on either leading, or deadly melee - a Thunerbolt TDR-7SE, Crusader CRD-5M, and Hunchback HBK-4SP.

Fire support comes from a Blackjack BJ2-OB, Catapult CPLT-C4C, and Archer ARC-7L. A Blackjack BJ-3 acts as bodyguard.

Very effective recon work is done by two Cicada CDA-3Gs, a Raven RVN-4L, and an Assassin ASN-23.

The recon lance is assisted by a platoon of Regulator hover tanks, with their potent Gauss Rifles.

While fire support comes from a lance of missile carriers - half LRM, half LRM.

Finally, a platoon of rugged and reliable Bulldog tanks round off the armour company.

The 5th, like most of the Reserve Cavalry, is not running top-shelf equipment. The infantry company for this force comprised two platoons of laser infantry, and two platoons of SRM infantry - the latter, with their Inferno rounds, having a potent effect on ambushed pirates.

This was a lightning job - I started them after I finished the Marik Guard, so about a fortnight. As mentioned elsewhere, I had to top up my paint supplies. The brown & green were Mr Hobby paints - I hadn't had good experience with them before, found them gluggy, but these ones were very nice to work with, and gave great cover.

The paintscheme - the reserve do "appropriate camo" with a metal trim (bronze for the 5th), was going to be winter MERDC. But my attempts to make that work failed repeatedly. Then I saw a Soviet camo - similar to forest MERDC, dating to the 1980s - and decided this was one I could do. The Soviet-Capellan thing was just icing (green icing!) So
- base green
- blotches of brown, about 25% of the area
- black metallic areas, and add the black line to one side of the blotches
- drybrush metallics
- brown ink (Citadel's Nuln Oil. Citadel inks - industry best practice!)

A nice simple job, after the grinding of the Cavaliers.

Comments as always welcomed,

W.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2018, 03:22:08 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
 :thumbsup:

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Great Job!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
I like IT! 😁

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Great looking unit! I really like what you did with the Blackjack omni and Spatha.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Well done WT!  I particularly like those Bulldogs. 8) And some great backstory as well. :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Very nice, but um... "...a lance of missile carriers - half LRM, half LRM."?  ???

I'm guessing a "heavy" is missing in there?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Very nice, but um... "...a lance of missile carriers - half LRM, half LRM."?  ???

I'm guessing a "heavy" is missing in there?

No I think those are SRM...

While fire support comes from a lance of missile carriers - half LRM, half LRM.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Yup. Typo, I think. Still 9 SRM-6s under the support of 6 LRM-20s is nothing to sneeze at.

That is a sharp cammo job, Troll. Like it.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
Yup. Typo, I think. Still 9 SRM-6s under the support of 6 LRM-20s is nothing to sneeze at.

9? Try 20 for both... IF I was him, I'd assign 1 each per hex... split them up, both Long range and brutal short!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: 5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry battalion, CCAF, circa 3064 (FCCW)
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2018, 04:28:26 »
Yup, sorry, pairs of LRM & SRM carriers. Fun for any occasion! 

Wait till you see the Heavy LRM Carriers ... BIG.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2018, 04:50:58 »
Some nifty mods.  Nice job on the camo paint too.

Mike
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2018, 14:38:17 »
9? Try 20 for both... IF I was him, I'd assign 1 each per hex... split them up, both Long range and brutal short!

TT

Sorry, meant to say 18. For some reason I was thinking they were only outfitted with 9 SRM-6s individually. Looking at Sarna, I see it is 10. That's 60 missiles!

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2018, 17:27:27 »
I know... now imagine a single ton of Inferno and/or Smoke? That's 60 Missiles doing 2 points each, or just 6 turns of standard HE.

Now IF I was running this, 1 ton of Inferno for 1 and 1/2 shots, 1 ton of Smoke ( same ) and 2 tons of HE or 3 turns!

Fun part is I could fire all three... if I keep a record of which launcher fired what! ( Accountech )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2018, 20:10:29 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2018, 09:32:45 »
I like that they come separate, though.  I like the look of the IWM sculpt, and I might use it as a stand-in for stock centurions in other eras by having a model that doesn't keep the sink vents.