Author Topic: AMS Query  (Read 1823 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
AMS Query
« on: 19 January 2014, 22:56:49 »
Okay, so I'm coming up with a complete blank on this one. I've looked all through TacOps so I don't think I could have missed it. (Maybe in errata though?)

Anyway, was talking to someone and they said you could set your AMS to engage any missiles that went through its arc. (Therefore could protect lance mates.)
(Also said could do the same thing with Aero units, but I haven't looked through StratOps.)

Is this an actual rule, or only home-brew?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: AMS Query
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2014, 22:58:21 »
it worked that way in the CCG. and I wish that it worked like that in the tabletop game, but no rules exist to make it do that, that I am aware of.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2014, 23:00:19 »
The closest thing I can think of for that would be the Covering/Protecting movement rule.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2014, 23:08:32 »
The closest thing I can think of for that would be the Covering/Protecting movement rule.

You mean the Shielding movement mode (TacOps p. 19)? Hm...didn't see anything about AMS in there...

Thanks anyway.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2014, 01:07:06 »
Considering the AMS is more or less a machine gun built to target incoming missiles, I would think the AMS would have the same range as your standard MG so you would have to be standing right next to your lace mate for this to work.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2014, 01:24:06 »
I think you can only do this in Aerotech.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2014, 01:25:46 »
Anyway, was talking to someone and they said you could set your AMS to engage any missiles that went through its arc. (Therefore could protect lance mates.)
(Also said could do the same thing with Aero units, but I haven't looked through StratOps.)

Is this an actual rule, or only home-brew?

There's nothing I can think of for ground units, but as per SO p97 AMS can attack any missile salvo that crosses its field of fire, even if the unit possessing the AMS isn't the target.

Sounds like a house rule to me.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2014, 02:46:20 »
You mean the Shielding movement mode (TacOps p. 19)? Hm...didn't see anything about AMS in there...

Thanks anyway.

Yeah, that's the rule I was thinking of.  And I know that there's nothing about AMS in it, just that if you had a Shielding mech with an AMS when there were incoming missiles, it would have an effect if the Shielding mech got hit.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

RAITH 1313

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2014, 13:17:15 »
There's nothing I can think of for ground units, but as per SO p97 AMS can attack any missile salvo that crosses its field of fire, even if the unit possessing the AMS isn't the target.

Would that be considered a optional or level 3 rule because of being from SO? I had thought for say level 1 or 2 it was considered that a AMS could only engage missles that targeted the AMS equipped unit. I tought I read this somewhere but could have been a older rule. I don't have the books with me to check.  O0

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2014, 13:19:44 »
Would that be considered a optional or level 3 rule because of being from SO? I had thought for say level 1 or 2 it was considered that a AMS could only engage missles that targeted the AMS equipped unit. I tought I read this somewhere but could have been a older rule. I don't have the books with me to check.  O0

consulting StratOps, the rules being referred to are for aerospace units.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2014, 17:57:52 »
yeah I thought ams engaged ay missile flight in its arc.  which made the Black hawk A, and Myst Lynx A so much more useful
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2014, 18:45:18 »

Okay, for the record then...only Aero are allowed to use their AMS in this way. (And only as an optional rule at that.)

Alright, thanks for clearing this up guys.

Death or Glory

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2014, 03:20:55 »
Okay, for the record then...only Aero are allowed to use their AMS in this way. (And only as an optional rule at that.)

Alright, thanks for clearing this up guys.

More specifically its an optional rule for DropShips, WarShips, and JumpShips with AMS bays.

serack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2014, 03:23:11 »
or standard rule for smallcraft, making them good anti-missile units in the game :)