Author Topic: Quick-Strike IS Combined Arms Battalion vs Combined Arms Clan Trinary  (Read 5115 times)

Frantic Pryde

• Sergeant
Hey everyone, my local group (Miami, FL) just played our first real game of quick strike and loved it! Here is a link to the AAR on our local forum: http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com/t4595-battletech-quickstrike-batrep-review#43962

Enjoy!

RangerRob

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Campaign GM
 O0  Nice Write up!  Quick Strike for the Win!
Rangerrob

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Lovely looking Hells Horses Forces.

Quick strike is a fun way to do big games.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Glad to see you guys playing again, and doubly glad to see you using Quick Strike. Say hi to Joel for me ;)
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Frantic Pryde

• Sergeant
Glad to see you guys playing again, and doubly glad to see you using Quick Strike. Say hi to Joel for me ;)

Never really stoped playing...just keep forgeting to post here!   ;D

Have we met before?

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
Really cool; love seeing these large scale games.  Now I need to get some of my stuff painted to HAVE that large of a force!  Thanks for the insperation!

Cherno

• Private
Thanks for the AAR. It's too bad we don't see QS reports more often, as it's such a great game system. I guess it has to catch on yet ;)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Have we met before?
Yup - Ray Arrastia. Several years back I was running demos at Sunshine (and I played in your games a couple times), but it's an hour south of me (I was also running in Orlando a few times a year). Also the regular game you guys had dried up, and there came a time I couldn't justify the travel anymore.

I also wrote QuickStrike.  ;)
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
So would say that numbers are more important than Clan technology?
What were the skill breakdowns?

What do you use for record sheets for the Battle Armor?

Frantic Pryde

• Sergeant
Yup - Ray Arrastia. Several years back I was running demos at Sunshine (and I played in your games a couple times), but it's an hour south of me (I was also running in Orlando a few times a year). Also the regular game you guys had dried up, and there came a time I couldn't justify the travel anymore.

I also wrote QuickStrike.  ;)

Oh wow, yea...man that was a long time ago! Funny, when I read your name in the credits for the QS strike i thought it sounded familiar! Well Your rules are awesome! They have really helped us revive the game. The last 2 weeks I've had 3 of the FoW guys playing...joel just needs to get some btech product in! You should come by and play again :) we do every other saturday and its looking like weekly thursday nights also.

EDIT: Speaking of QS, I have a good question that maybe you would like to give me an answer to in the official questions thread for strat ops :)

So would say that numbers are more important than Clan technology?
What were the skill breakdowns?

Clan Mechs where 3 gunners and tanks where 4s. All IS unit where 4s.
We used the regular BF stats for the BA and printed cards with SSW.

The clan player was a tad bit over confident and fell into all of our traps. The numbers did help though.

I think that the QS system down plays the clan tech a bit though. I haven't played enough games to know for sure...but I think clan mechs may need a free skill upgrade to retain their potency.

What do you use for record sheets for the Battle Armor?
« Last Edit: 03 February 2012, 16:41:19 by Frantic Pryde »

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Quick-Strike IS Combined Arms Battalion vs Combined Arms Clan Trinary
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2012, 12:26:15 »
EDIT: Speaking of QS, I have a good question that maybe you would like to give me an answer to in the official questions thread for strat ops :)
They only want one person posting on the official Q/A forum, so I've already got the question, I need to come up with an answer to filter through them and get it posted officially. Until then, I can tell you unofficially (and unfortunately, at the moment, without any detailed info), that protos run individually in QS with rules similar to the optional Squad and Trooper Deployment (BA/Infantry) Rules in the Miniatures Rules section of SO. Also, since BF stats represent 5 of the same proto, you'd have to use the BF conversion rules to build 1 Proto. That is, in each step of the rules it instructs you to multiply by 5, or add all the Protos in the unit together, and you would not do this when figuring a single Proto (or, a quickie and imprecise way is to take all the Protomech stats and divide by 5, rounding up. ).

As to the second, the way the rules stand right now it reads as if you apply to the whole damage bracket.

Hope that helps for the moment - but this is unofficial - keep watching the official Q&A for the detailed official answer (especially since it could contradict what I just told ya)
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2012, 13:34:21 »
For Quick Strike, numbers, then durability are the biggest factor i think.  The few times I've played, my sturdier designs held up longer, even to the more powerful stuff (because we use dice, having all that firepower's worthless if you wiff... one of the drawbacks of the all-or-nothing system; although, it really speeds up the game and is an acceptable sacrifice)  I've never ventured a Clan vs IS game and I think it really depends on the honor rules in use.  The more units you can use to tag stuff, the more damage it takes (and dies.)  So having more units gets you more damage/shots in on something.

When the games an equal number of units (in the first CSO Quick Strike game at GenCon 09, we each had a light, medium, heavy, and assault) durability usually wins out, although at the end of that game I had the SSRM-6 Daikyu jumping from terrain to terrain keeping up high to hit numbers and killing off 'Mechs left and right.  I had one of the last 'mechs on the field and I also lost the first when turn one, my Owens got blown out by something big, bad, and Davion.  It takes a little getting used to, but I think it keeps the flavor well enough and adds a different element to the strategic outlook.

Frantic Pryde

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2012, 17:29:11 »
Thanks for the unofficial answer. I can get by with that for now. Much appreciated! I will be playing tomorrow so its helpful (again, feel free to drop by :)).

I agree Coyote. I really like it a lot. It the perfect thing for those late weekday night games and the real big battles. I'm playing more battletech than ever now! I'm hoping that whatever replaces BV will reflect better in BF also. As it stands right now the dividing of BV to get the PV is not the best system in the world for battleforce but it works for now and I'm glad to have it!

Register