Author Topic: This mod seems Quotidian, right? LRM 10 :-\  (Read 1360 times)

Zombyra

• Master Sergeant
This mod seems Quotidian, right? LRM 10 :-\
« on: 16 November 2011, 22:19:38 »
Before I purpose it as a house rule for a campaign I thought I'd run it through the gauntlet--so to speak--just to see if it's going to do something awful to the balance.

I understand the shortcomings with the LRM10, and personally, I don't care that much; it's just a piece in the game, love it or leave it.  But I've heard complaints.  I know they're justified on one level or another; AND, we're already playing with house rules; SO--All I want to do is change the heat output of the LRM10 from 4 heat to 3 heat.

I think it brings the weapon in-line with the other LRM launchers in terms of performance (weight, damage, and heat)--importantly for me, it doesn't require alot of housekeeping or recalculating, & it doesn't affect the BV2 calculations (much).  From what I can tell it's a really quick and easy mod that puts the weapon in balance (almost like it should have been written that way originally). 

Plenty of people must have thought of this before, of course.  And, since I haven't run this mod before I thought I'd check that I'm not tipping the metaphorical scale in some unforseen way i'm going to regret?

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
Re: This mod seems Quotidian, right? LRM 10 :-\
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2011, 09:18:32 »
Being "less than optimal" doesn't make it a bad weapon.  I've seen a lot of very good designs that use it, as opposed to a lot of designs being outright bad or severely limited because of it, as with the AC/5.  From a "min/max" standpoint, there are some small advantages to twin LRM-5 launchers in place of it (at the expense of reduced damage concentration), and the LRM-15 is more efficient, but not by a large margin.  OK, so you save half a ton (rounding it off) and/or a HS, like that's going to make or break the whole design....

A few of my favorite 'Mechs use the LRM-10 launcher, and I see no reason to "apologise" for it being "less than perfect", or fiddle with the game mechanics to fix something that's not really "broken", when so many other things about the game are.

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
    • "Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
Re: This mod seems Quotidian, right? LRM 10 :-\
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2011, 11:16:09 »
I think Zombyra already conceded that point.  I think that you have a balanced rule. If the GM is happy and the players are happy then everything is great. You could even simulate it in mega mech by letting all the LRM 10's have the "improved cooling jacket" quirk.
"Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38140.0.html

"Against the Clans" Against the Bot ruleset for Clan campaigns project thread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39685.0.html