Author Topic: Converting TW Scenarios to AS - Buildings?  (Read 1395 times)

cpip

• Corporal
Converting TW Scenarios to AS - Buildings?
« on: 17 September 2017, 08:46:34 »
Having introduced some of my friends to the joys of Alpha Strike, we've discussed converting the Total Chaos/Jihad campaign over to AS and running it. I hit a question right off the bat, looking at the scenario Look Who's Coming To Dinner, where the player group is tasked with destroying a collection of Medium warehouses. However, I can't help but notice that a collection of Medium buildings -- at AS CF 12 or so -- will take longer to destroy, given most units will be doing 2-3 damage per turn, than they would have in TW, where the CF may be 25, but the units will can easily be doing 10-20 damage per turn. At four warehouses, it would take an entire lance one turn to destroy a building.

Reading this link, it suggests that perhaps all the warehouses might be collected into one mega-building, but I'm not sure I like that solution either, since it narrows it to one target.

Has anyone else encountered this dilemma? What have you tried on the tabletop?

makulator

• Corporal
Re: Converting TW Scenarios to AS - Buildings?
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2017, 09:30:10 »
Why donĀ“t you reduce the CF of the warehouses?
Maybe to 6 or 9
Or roll for every DP to determine if the Buildings take additional damage from an internal explosion (1D6 add. damage after a roll of 5+)

You will have to modify the TC scenarios to fit for AS. But they can be really fun. I try to keep the essential parts of the Scenario and mod the details to fit into AS

Mors Tua Vita Mea

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2017, 11:43:13 »
The general rule of thumb on Alpha Strike damage conversion is a 30 to 1 conversion for damage/armor. If you do a 10 to 1 conversion, you can convert 25 TW CF to 3 AS CV.

Also keep in mind that in TW, the CF is per hex or 2x2" area. So if the warehouse occupies 2 hexes, it should be twice the CF value.

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2017, 21:58:09 »
Thank you both! Reducing the warehouse did seem like the obvious fix, but I wanted to see what other players thought about it.  I'm absolutely looking forward to the prospect of later AS scenarios where we get to see battalion or larger actions; the battles on Terra are naturally incredibly promising...