Author Topic: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End  (Read 11730 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Recently rewatched Dragon Half; how the hell did they get that cast!?  Still the best Beethoven cover performed by a Sailor Moon VA that I'm aware of, too.

The 80s was waay before the idol seiyu era we live in today. Basically everyone was small time. Not even Megumi Hayashibara was so big as to turn down work.

elf25s

• Major
well went back to something i had not seen in 30 years almost
this is greenwood
animation is dated by todays standards manga is still funny and anime still has had me in stitches...especially the first episode and halloween episode
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Frieren proved it's possible...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
The isekai boom does finally seem to be waning, but it's definitely a slow decline. What I want now is more comedy & scifi anime. I'm very picky about my fantasy settings & there's far to much generic mush, isekai or no isekai.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
I'm tired of the video game paradigm tied to these isekais as well, hopefully they get away from that and work out a more realized world.

That said, I'm not turning down SOL, comedy, and mecha series. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
Other than Frieren, it has been annoying that most of the Fantasy Genre Anime have been Isekai. It would be really nice to have a series where the story does not involve a MC being reincarnated/summoned for once

Anyways, just got done watching Dark Gathering on HiDive; nice horror Anime that definitely deserves a second season
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

kato

• Captain
Other than Frieren, it has been annoying that most of the Fantasy Genre Anime have been Isekai.
There have actually been quite a lot of non-isekai "medieval fantasy" anime lately, about 3-4 per season.

Stuff like Dungeon Meshi, Shin no Nakama, Strongest Tank, Ryza no Atelier...

The isekai boom does finally seem to be waning, but it's definitely a slow decline.
It's more like they're running out of source material on classic male-centric wish fulfilment isekai. A lot in that genre that we're still seeing now was written 10-15 years ago and is often either fairly bad quality (e.g.: Re:Monster) or may be complicated to adapt (e.g. Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari).

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
I doubt there's any shortage of isekai stories to adapt. If they really wanted to they could roll right on down to Shosetsuka ni Naro & have their pick. The fact that there are fewer of them must in some way reflect a reduced desire to make such anime in the first place, since a lack of originality or narrative quality has never been a barrier to animating isekai before!  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: 16 May 2024, 08:46:33 by MadCapellan »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
The 'grab popular isekai and adapt it' machine has been running on the dregs for a while now. I dont expect it's over by a long shot, but I wouldnt expect the quality to improve all that much. All the super popular ones were adapted already. Expect more obscure and '...they're adapting THAT?' titles until the market hits rock bottom.

Not the first time we've seen this with anime mind you. Isekai is just the latest trend that's been run into the ground.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
One thing I've really noticed about isekai titles is that for a few years now, the fact that they're isekai has become increasingly irrelevant: if the isekai part were removed, it would have minimal effect on the plot.

What would honestly be nice is if the industry could get away from the RPG-mechanic fantasy idea.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
That would be nice; Re Zero, The Ascendance of the Bookworm, and The Saga of Tanya The Evil seem to be the only major Isekai series that come to mind without the RPG mechanic

I'm sure there are others but those are usually single season anime that didn't really stand out
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
The Ambition of Oda Nobuna is probably the most non-RPG isekai out there (and a very good anime all around), but as you say it was a single season show.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman