Author Topic: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps  (Read 15660 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps
« Reply #90 on: 19 October 2017, 08:16:23 »
Another block for the Unproductive Quarter, we have apartments and low-rent housing across an alley from the Overton Storage warehouse.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #91 on: 19 October 2017, 08:23:21 »
Parking can cost more than housing in major urban areas, so this seven story Parking Garage is far more important than Watry's Jewelry or Richard's Golf and Goal. 
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #92 on: 19 October 2017, 08:27:39 »
The Peabody Food Court has a unique glass-topped atrium (though the cooling bill on sunny days must be murder), surrounded by Gaishin's sushi bar (Kurita), Die Schwarzer Haus (Steiner), Big Ben's British Pub (Davion), and The New Delhi (Marik...or at least Regulus).  Put a Chinese restaurant across the street (either the Red Dragon or the Jade Peacock), and you've got the Star League in miniature.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2017, 14:29:25 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #93 on: 19 October 2017, 08:29:51 »
This block has some questionable eateries - "Fast Burgers & Fish"?  I guess when you want your surf & turf in a hurry...  Add in Pierce Photo, Baur's Bakery, the Eye-to-Eye Clinic, and Wright's Ton-of-Art Supply. 

What do you suppose the "Etc." covers in Pizza, Etc.?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #94 on: 19 October 2017, 08:31:50 »
On many worlds in the Inner Sphere, ComStar handles local mail delivery as well.  With a main ComStar compound just a few blocks away on the full map, though, this Post Office shows that this isn't one of those worlds.  We also have the Falstaff Apartments (named after the Shakespeare character, most likely), and One Simon Tower.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #95 on: 19 October 2017, 08:34:42 »
Public School #507 is flanked by the Higher Ground theater, the Organdy restaurant, Harrison's Tai-Kwon-Do (reflecting spelling conventions of the 80s), and the Danse Academy.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #96 on: 19 October 2017, 08:37:03 »
The Randolf Building, Mardon House publishing company, and Crystal's department store share a block with townhouses and condos. 

Printed at full size, the alley is just wide enough for a Striker or Hetzer miniature to slip through, giving them an advantage over 'Mechs when fighting on the mean streets.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #97 on: 19 October 2017, 08:59:02 »
Rathbone park is the largest park in the city map, and was originally split between the Basic Set map and the Secret Wars II map (accounting for the shift in the grass texture halfway through the park)

The first chunk is the western edge - the curved area is where the St. Arbogast Hospital is located, but you could also slot in any of the blocks with a trimmed off corner there, including Guthrie Mansion, the Museum of Science and Natural History, Dobson Plaza, the Civic Museum,

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #98 on: 19 October 2017, 09:01:14 »
The next chunk is the duck pond.  I remember one battle where I hid an Annihilator at the bottom of the pond, and greatly surprised an enemy force when it surged out of the depths, autocannons blazing.

The ducks immediately migrated south.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #99 on: 19 October 2017, 09:03:15 »
The southeast portion contains a parking lot and a bandshell for performances or political speeches.  Be a nice visual to have a couple of 'Mechs flanking the stage, holding up "APPLAUSE...OR ELSE" signs.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #100 on: 19 October 2017, 09:04:50 »
Another soaring skycraper, reaching 71 stories, this attempts to recreate the real-world RCA Building.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #101 on: 19 October 2017, 09:09:34 »
Another block packed with interesting little stores, this is anchored by the Red Dragon Chinese Restaurant.  It seems to be located in the kid-zone, hosting the Annie Plowman Candy Store, the Candy Cane Toy Shop, and Richard's Costumes. 

It's also a one stop shop for chaotic-evil characters, with Roundel's Liquor Store, Stokes Firearms, the Royal Gem Jewerly [sic] Store, and a drive-thru bank.  Buff up at the health spa, get a super villain costume and some guns'n'booze, and go on a rampage.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #102 on: 19 October 2017, 09:13:12 »
More likely to show TriVids than ancient two-dee films, the Reel Adventure Movie Theater offers 40 parking spaces, which it shares with the 4th Avenue Bus Depot.  While waiting for your bus (or Land Train, depending on local conditions), you can visit Dot's Grill or the Burger Pit.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #103 on: 19 October 2017, 09:17:23 »
Robert Holmes Memorial Park is an interesting example of the poor scaling between maps.  A standard basketball court is 15 meters long, but when put on the BattleTech maps at this scale, each is at least 45-60 meters long. 

Perhaps these could be introduced as part of the Noisiel Games for 'Mech-scale basketball.  (The Spider steals the ball and triggers its jump jets, going for a slam dunk on the 40-meter-high hoop!)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #104 on: 19 October 2017, 09:19:59 »
This block was drawn in the early 1990s, when the speculator craze must have made it seem plausible that Billy Bob's Baseball Card Emporium and Esoteric Comics could afford the rent on a quarter of a Manhattan city block, with Rossi's House of Style taking up the southern half.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #105 on: 19 October 2017, 09:34:49 »
The Roxxon Corporation was created during the 1970s energy crisis, and can be summed up as "Exxon's lawyer-friendly Marvel Universe evil counterpart). 

It's flanked by the Midtown Utilities Building and the Elliot Building.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #106 on: 19 October 2017, 09:36:32 »
Just in case you didn't get Roxxon's vibe already, Roxxon Plaza features a sculpture entitled "Enfolding the Earth" (which I photoshopped to "Enfolding the Planet" to make it less Terra-specific).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #107 on: 19 October 2017, 09:40:43 »
On the Basic Map, the St. Arbogast Hospital adjoins Rathbone Park. 

Googling, it looks like Saint Arbogast was a 7th-century missionary to the Frankish Empire and an early Bishop of Strasbourg.  One of his miracles was bringing the son of Merovingian King Dagobert II of Austrasia back to life after he died in a boar hunting accident.  So slapping his name on a hospital seems to fit. 

Now where was he when Robert Baratheon went boar hunting near King's Landing?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #108 on: 19 October 2017, 09:47:17 »
Saint Bartholomew's Church is a representation of the actual building in NYC.  Named for the 1st Century apostle who was killed while preaching in Armenia.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #109 on: 19 October 2017, 09:49:15 »
Saint Matthew's Church adjoins the Harrison Street Police Station and the closed-down Harrison Street Fire station.  It features the only graveyard on the city map.  Like St. Bartholomew's, it's also named for an Apostle.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #110 on: 19 October 2017, 09:50:55 »
Luxury highrise apartments adjoin a building meant to represent New York's Sak's Fifth Avenue.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #111 on: 19 October 2017, 09:52:05 »
The Sargent Memorial School seems grimmer than some of the other schools on the map, with only a paved courtyard as a playground and no green space. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #112 on: 19 October 2017, 09:53:44 »
The School District administration building, garage, and warehouse are in a poorer section of town (adjoined by high rise tenements), but enjoy underground parking (a nice place to hide tanks when trying to take enemy forces from the rear).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #113 on: 19 October 2017, 10:07:23 »
The Sherman House Hotel adjoins a pet store, a video store (streaming video is LosTech), and a water works. 

Damage to the original map wiped out the title for the other building, so I BattleTech-ified it as an outpost for Ceres Metals, which was originally described as a trading cartel with operations spanning the Inner Sphere, rather than simply the core of the Capellan defense industry.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #114 on: 19 October 2017, 10:08:40 »
Siekman Shipbuilders is a half-block warehouse designed to fit on a riverfront or coast.  With five stories to work with, they could have drydock facilities inside and launch directly into the water.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #115 on: 19 October 2017, 10:10:46 »
This is a representation of the famous skating rink at Rockefeller Center, complete with the statue of Prometheus.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #116 on: 19 October 2017, 10:13:09 »
Back in the slums, we have more abandoned buildings and "shanty town" houses.  Guests at the Sleep Cheap Hotel might have a hard time doing that due to the noise from the Hot Time nightclub next door.

Who rents televisions?  Maybe a big screen for a big game broadcast, but what sort of business model is that?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #117 on: 19 October 2017, 10:15:37 »
Slipped Disk Software is a pun good for people familiar with both spinal injuries and antiquated removable storage media.  While laughably dated, the Fax X-Press building could be a good locale for AFFS to base their black-box "interstellar faxes" in. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #118 on: 19 October 2017, 10:17:23 »
More Roxxon action at the Roxxon gas station.  The La Elmore art gallery is a shout out to TSR contributor Larry Elmore.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #119 on: 19 October 2017, 10:18:25 »
This block is a representation of New York's Summit Hotel, and adjoining high rise apartments.