Author Topic: PWS Fleet Transport  (Read 3695 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
PWS Fleet Transport
« on: 28 April 2012, 19:08:47 »
In the era of no Warships and squadrons of PWS I was thinking we need a Jumpship designed for that role.

Code: [Select]
                    AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
                                  VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name:  Monolith MkII Combat-Transport   
Tech:              Inner Sphere / 3085
Vessel Type:       JumpShip
Rules:             Level 2, Modified design
Rules Set:         AeroTech2

Mass:              430,000 tons
Length:            750 meters
Sail Diameter:     1,270 meters
Power Plant:       Standard
Safe Thrust:       0
Maximum Thrust:    0
Armor Type:        Standard
Armament:         
   18 Ramtech 1500Z ER Medium Laser
   54 McArthur II AMS
Manufacturer:   O'Neil Yards
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class/Model/Name:  Monolith MkII Combat-Transport   
Mass:              430,000 tons

Equipment:                                                            Mass 
Power Plant, Drive & Control:                                        5,160.00
Thrust:  Safe Thrust: 0
      Maximum Thrust: 0
Kearny-Fuchida Hyperdrive:  Standard (Integrity = 8)               408,500.00
Lithium Fusion Battery                                               4,300.00
Jump Sail: (Integrity = 5)                                              87.00
Structural Integrity: 1                                              2,867.00
Total Heat Sinks:    146 Single                                           .00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps:                                                      88.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters:              1,075.00
Fire Control Computers:                                                   .00
Armor Type:  Standard  (95 total armor pts)                            236.50
                           Capital Scale Armor Pts
   Fore:                                 16
   Fore-Left/Right:                   16/16
   Aft-Left/Right:                    16/16
   Aft:                                  15

Cargo:
   Bay 1:  Cargo (1) with 1 door                                       174.00
   Bay 2:  Small Craft (4) with 2 doors                                800.00
   Bay 3:  Cargo (1) with 1 door                                       173.50

DropShip Capacity:  6 Docking Hardpoints                             6,000.00
Grav Deck #1:  (95-meter diameter)                                      50.00
Life Boats:  5 (7 tons each)                                            35.00

Crew and Passengers:
      7 Officers (7 minimum)                                            70.00
     21 Crew (21 minimum)                                              147.00
     12 Gunners (12 minimum)                                            84.00
     20 Bay Personnel                                                     .00
Weapons and Equipment      Loc        SRV    MRV    LRV    ERV  Heat    Mass
3 ER Medium Laser          Nose     2(15)  2(15)     --     --   15      3.00
9 AMS(216 rounds)          Nose        --     --     --     --    9     22.50
3 ER Medium Laser          FL/R     2(15)  2(15)     --     --   30      6.00
9 AMS(216 rounds)          FL/R        --     --     --     --   18     45.00
3 ER Medium Laser          AL/R     2(15)  2(15)     --     --   30      6.00
9 AMS(216 rounds)          AL/R        --     --     --     --   18     45.00
3 ER Medium Laser          Aft      2(15)  2(15)     --     --   15      3.00
9 AMS(216 rounds)          Aft         --     --     --     --    9     22.50
TOTALS:                                              Heat: 144     430,000.00
Tons Left:                                                                .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        2,363,431,930 C-Bills
Battle Value:      4,405
Cost per BV:       536,533.92
Weapon Value:      3,110 (Ratio = .71)
Damage Factors:    SRV = 231;  MRV = 65;  LRV = 0;  ERV = 0
Maintenance:       Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 26,418
                   (9,815 Structure, 12,245 Life Support, 4,358 Weapons)
                   Support Points (SP) = 76,281  (289% of MPV)
BattleForce2:      Not applicable [/quote]

Thoughts, Opinions, Comments ?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
Re: PWS Fleet Transport
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2012, 19:50:13 »
In warship-free or warship-light environments, there really is no need to transport large squadrons of PWS.

I have found great success in using an Invader or Tramp to carry a single PWS, a cargo dropper (Buck or Mule) and a third combat dropper; either a CV (Leopard or [for major invasions] Vengeance) or a jumpship-defense assault dropper like an Avenger.

With that in mind, for my use, I'd remove 2-3 collars and replace them with fighter bays (for defense), marines (for anti-boarding defense), fuel (for long endurance, even for recharging the battery while the sail recharges the main drive), cargo (for supplies) and a few capital missiles for anti-fighter defense and stand-off capability.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2012, 01:25:33 »
In warship-free or warship-light environments, there really is no need to transport large squadrons of PWS.

I have found great success in using an Invader or Tramp to carry a single PWS, a cargo dropper (Buck or Mule) and a third combat dropper; either a CV (Leopard or [for major invasions] Vengeance) or a jumpship-defense assault dropper like an Avenger.

With that in mind, for my use, I'd remove 2-3 collars and replace them with fighter bays (for defense), marines (for anti-boarding defense), fuel (for long endurance, even for recharging the battery while the sail recharges the main drive), cargo (for supplies) and a few capital missiles for anti-fighter defense and stand-off capability.
Nice thought
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2012, 02:07:07 »
I would keep the collars-- a jump ship is pretty immobile, so any fighter bays on the ship are going to rapidly cease to be useful if the combat moves away.  Better to just detail some dropship carriers, which have the added advantage that you can send them elsewhere if you need to.

Personally, I feel that the main use for jumpships is solely moving dropshiops-- anything that cuts down on docking space, is, IMHO something that harms the design.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2012, 08:59:06 »
I disagree, if the other guys are fielding squadrons of PWS then you might want to be able to match them.

Not a bad option, but not really a major naval force either, and it lacks LFBs.
The goal w/ the MkII was to be able to move a Naval Squadron around rapidly.

All of that can be on dropships attached to those 2-3 collars.
For 3000 tons of Collars you can have an Intruder, Vengeance, & Mule to get all that you suggest & have the advantages of being larger & being mobile.

I would keep the collars-- a jump ship is pretty immobile, so any fighter bays on the ship are going to rapidly cease to be useful if the combat moves away.  Better to just detail some dropship carriers, which have the added advantage that you can send them elsewhere if you need to.

Personally, I feel that the main use for jumpships is solely moving dropshiops-- anything that cuts down on docking space, is, IMHO something that harms the design.
My thoughts exactly.  If I'm going to the trouble of building a Jumpship I'd like it to carry as much as possible.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2012, 18:15:16 »
Also, the damn things are so comparatively fragile that ANY attempt to arm them of make them hard targets is practically inviting an enemy to go out of his way to whack the damn thing, if only to deny you your pseudo warship carrier.

I would rather use a larger unarmed jumpship that can be off doing other things when it isn't hauling half a dozen PWS/Assault/Carrier droppers around, and worse comes to worst, you give them standing orders to simply surrender. That way you eventually get your people back, who are highly trained, and you can always plan a recovery, or steal one of his the same way you ended up losing yours. You make it too good at resisting, and he kills it instead, costing you the ship and its crew.

That and as noted and of the things you can mount inside a jumpship, you can instead mount inside a dropship, and it can do the job you are asking instead. A Star Lord or Monolith and its 6/9 collars makes for a mean PWS/Assault/Carrier based space superiority deterrent, though that's a lot of eggs in one basket. An enemy potshots your jumper, he strands all those eggs in one system, probably behind enemy lines. Might make it worth it to him to leave those ships marauding around in one system rather than being able to gallivant around in multiples. Might make using 2-3 Invaders, Tramps or Merchants more sensible, especially since they are so much "easier" to replace now a days.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2012, 20:41:56 »
Also, the damn things are so comparatively fragile that ANY attempt to arm them of make them hard targets is practically inviting an enemy to go out of his way to whack the damn thing, if only to deny you your pseudo warship carrier. 
Agreed, You'll notice the "weapons" I put on this one were 75% AMS w/ a few ML's for show.

I would rather use a larger unarmed jumpship that can be off doing other things when it isn't hauling half a dozen PWS/Assault/Carrier droppers around, and worse comes to worst, you give them standing orders to simply surrender. That way you eventually get your people back, who are highly trained, and you can always plan a recovery, or steal one of his the same way you ended up losing yours. You make it too good at resisting, and he kills it instead, costing you the ship and its crew.
Take a look, it is a Monolith, w/ 3 less collars, 2 less shuttles, and some reduced cargo, all to pay for LFBs, and some extra defensive armor & systems.
They key here was to get the LFB's for better strategic mobility w/ the loss of as few collars as possible and some minor defensive upgrades.

Might make using 2-3 Invaders, Tramps or Merchants more sensible, especially since they are so much "easier" to replace now a days.
Which, except for a Tramp Variant don't have LFBs, though I'd happily use 2 Tramps for the same roll of this ship, but one Monolith is cheaper.

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2012, 02:02:13 »
Not you chief, I was more replying to some other posters. The design is pretty functional really, I just noted someone saying you should put some cap ship launchers on it to really make it able to defend itself. Then the enemy treats it as a warship, and not a transport.

And I still lean towards flotilla's of "smaller, lighter" jumpships for this role. But then, I really wasn't a fan of where they went with naval warships anyhow, I was looking forwards to really large droppers being transported around like monitors, as opposed to super heavily armed and armored jumpships with docking collars and fighter bays to boot. Ah well, life is disappointing, no?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2012, 19:39:37 »
Agreed,  I'm a fan of plain old jumpships myself & save the combat for Warships.

With one exception, there is a niche for designs like this as support for Warships &/or fast response forces.  You keep the cheapness of a standard core jumpship but attach Lithium Fusion batteries for mobility.  Its not a big niche, but I think its there.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2012, 14:20:00 »
First, let me apologize for the delay in replying; work sometimes sucks.  [blank]

I did offer a quantifier; it is unfair to take single sentences out of context:

This presumes a situation similar to that in the IS, where not only are true warships extremely rare, but where full-on PWS are equally rare. In such an environment, nobody is transporting "squadrons" to battles.

Additionally, tactical doctrine in BT aero combat centers around relatively small numbers of major combat vessels (which for these purposes includes PWS). This precludes specialized designs for this specific purpose.

Note that the second paragraph is dependent on the first one. Essentially using a relatively large standard-core jumpship to carry 3-4 dropships as part of a cohesive unit under the command of a single officer.

The fighters are there specifically to defend the jumpship when the PWS is away; if the battle moves away from the jumpship, the fighters have fulfilled their purpose and stay with the jumpship. These fighters are in addition to those of the PWS (if any), which will not be available while the PWS is away from the jumper, or those of the CV, which might be tactically used to support the PWS instead of remaining behind.

The capital missiles are there specifically to provide anti-fighter capability for the jumpship in support of the secondary assault dropper. It also provides stand-off capability: this means that an enemy ship can't just park itself outside of the jumper's/Assault Dropper weapon's range and force a surrender. Keep in mind that there are all sorts of useful things that can be done with capital missiles; like bearings-only launches and using them as dormant "seeker mines". Combine this with the fact that detection ranges are very long and that a station-keeping drive can bank thrust over five turns to gain a point of velocity and chances are good that lesser raiders will give such a military jumper a wide berth.

Why concern oneself with this? Remember that a PWS's weakness is its dependence on a separate jumpship; a completely unarmed jumpship is just begging for an enemy's attention. Every dropship assigned to protect the jumper is one less assault dropship that can be used in the attack and one less collar that can be used for something else... plus a large collars-only jumper the size of a Monolith will definitely attract attention on its own.

OTOH, if the jumper is part of a dedicated group including its own dedicated PWS, Assault Dropper and supply ship... with additional dedicated defense assets, then it serves as a sort of surrogate warship: the users need not worry about diluting their forces by designating defenders; just add the jumper and its attendant droppers as a single unit.

Quote from: Fireangel

I disagree, if the other guys are fielding squadrons of PWS then you might want to be able to match them.

Like I said earlier; this presumes an environment where squadrons of PWS are not doctrinally employed.

OTOH, using this system, both sides could be similarly equipped; a large armed dropper could carry 1-2 PWS, 1 dedicated defense assault dropper or CV and one dedicated supply dropper. An assault could field several such units on each side.

Not a bad option, but not really a major naval force either, and it lacks LFBs.
The goal w/ the MkII was to be able to move a Naval Squadron around rapidly.[/quote]

A dedicated jumper desighn could be easily equipped with LFB's. Your comment seems to imply that non-LFB-equipped jumpers are not useful for "major naval forces"; the definition of which is created by the environment in which they operate; You could have "first-rate" PWS units with full-on super jumpers with LFBs, "second-rate" PWS units with full-on non-LFB-equipped super jumpers and "third-rate" PWS units riding conventional jumpers; offering strategic flexibility without breaking the bank.

All of that can be on dropships attached to those 2-3 collars.
For 3000 tons of Collars you can have an Intruder, Vengeance, & Mule to get all that you suggest & have the advantages of being larger & being mobile.

Quote from: Korzon77

My thoughts exactly.  If I'm going to the trouble of building a Jumpship I'd like it to carry as much as possible.

Sure, for commercial jumpers or troop transports; there are some significant advantages to having fewer collars, like emergence signature or sheer cost.

You forget that this is the means used by a squadron of PWS involved in a major attack... and a major jumpship in its own right; it will be a target of the enemy regardless of how its armed; take out the jumper and an entire squadron on PWS is stranded in-system, requiring other jumpers to jump out.

Giving it a well-though-out defensive doctrine, you will force your enemy to use more than a token force to take you out.

Which works great in the 3rd SW, but still causes you the loss of the jumper and the stranding of your squadron of PWS in other eras.

Think about it: are you willing to strand 5-6 PWS in a hostile system during a major assault? That will happen if the single jump transport gets captured.

Instructions to surrender? That means a single Avenger just stranded six PWS more effectively than if it had engaged them in direct combat.

Even with "smaller" (fewer-collar) jumpers, you can make it so that the enemy can't take out your KF assets with impunity; use sufficient assets or leave it alone - either way, either you keep your ship or the bad guys lighten pressure on your line forces; good results all around.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2012, 14:21:16 »
DANG!

That was one long post!  :D

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2012, 23:29:58 »
Yes, surrender, because armed or not, this thing isn't a warship, so a single Avenger could kill this thing even if it is carrying a few missile launchers. No half measures here chief, either you are fielding this force off a real warship that won't be threatened by a single fairly dangerous dropship (or escort them in system), of you're paying the money to build a pseudo warship that WILL attract this sort of unwanted attention.

The aspect of having a "standard" jumpship be a core element is that ANY "standard" jumpship will suffice. Your method creates a design the enemy will specifically plan to kill in any given engagement, even one that your people aren't starting. Raiders hit one or more of your border systems a few times, you send in a carrier group, and find out the entire intent was to force you to commit one of your strategic (rather than tactical) assets so they can kill it. Your carrier group arrives in system and what then? They either sit around, being tied up, or they deploy in system to handle the threat, and a single warship or pair of jumpships jump in and nail your carrier dropship taxi...and then leaves. With a typical jumpship, you are out a typical jumpship (which more than likely just got captured, and may or may not be something you can get back), if you use your method than you are instead losing what is essentially a specialized light warship, one that the enemy can target with the intent to remove it.

As a potential aggressor, I will track these things to the best of my ability, and any assault plans WILL encompass the removal of at least the group's taxi, the entire group if I can strand it somewhere I can get to it that you can't reinforce rapidly. I suppose that you could just opt to field quite a few of these carrier groups, but do they really have the assets available to do that if they can't build warships? Even a few of them? (Hell, I would use a Fox or something similar first, rather than go to the effort to build a specialized jumpship, at least it CAN defend itself against other forces such as we are talking about, especially if your carrier group is with it, which is likely considering that the warship, unlike the jumpship, has a maneuvering drive worth a damn!)

Really, the carrier group idea works, it honestly does, as evidenced by several others being truly enthused about it. Where it starts to develop "plot holes" is the idea of building expensive dedicated jumpships with enough weapons to be a potential threat to a dropship, and then not expecting the enemy to treat it as the threat is really is and seek to neutralize it at the earliest possible moment...sort of like how the SW era saw the end of warships in general for exactly those reasons. Whereas a standard jumpships means any of them will work, and you can even shell game the system by getting an enemy to focus on one jumpship, and then switching the group to another for short term strategic surprise value.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2012, 17:13:09 »
Ergo, your enemy would have to dedicate more than a single avenger to deal with your jumpers.

Seriously; It is NOT intended to be used as a warship: it is intended to prevent its loss in the face of minimal opposition.

A single avenger is a threat to any standard jumper. A capital missile is a threat to any avenger. Bring enough avengers to deal with the jumper, its capital missiles, its defense fighter CAP AND its dedicated bodyguard dropper and I have just forced you to expend a significant force to deal with my jumper.

Add multiples: a single avenger is a threat to several standard jumpers; deal with multiple dedicated carriers, you must expend significantly more forces than you would for a single carrier; you might be better off not even engaging my droppers in the first place.

You say you have a PWS of your own or a warship? Against a PWS several cap missiles might make a difference, particularly if you use the avoidance tactics I mentioned in an earlier post. Against a warship, surrender is still an option is avoidance is unsuccessful.

Again: The idea is to prevent your opponent from just sending over a Leopard to capture your jumpers as an afterthought, not to provide an is-all-end-all defense.

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
  • Si vis pacem.. et caetera, ad nauseam
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2012, 16:39:25 »
A squadron of PWS (4) + 2 standard DS ?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2012, 21:39:35 »
A squadron of PWS (4) + 2 standard DS ?

I don't think anyone but the FS has stated what a "PWS Squadron" is.
In one bit of fluff they are deploying 4 Assault ships & 1 Carrier (Assumed Vengeance) with some 6th dropship (Cargo?).

Register