Author Topic: Jettisonable external fighterbays  (Read 1712 times)

Suralin

• Lieutenant
Jettisonable external fighterbays
« on: 26 May 2012, 03:14:59 »
I don't know if there's already anything like this somewhere in TacOps, but an idea came to me when I remembered an RP I participated in way back when, called NodeWars. In the penultimate battle, the scattered nations gathered their fleets in a last-ditch defense of Sol against an alien threat.

One of these nations decided to go for broke and sent practically every fighter they possessed with their battlefleet. They did this by more or less duct-taping a bunch of external fighterbays (little more than crude mounting brackets holding a bunch of fighters each) to all their capital ships and launching them all in one giant swarm once they got to the battle.

The fighters weren't really expected to survive the battle anyway, so the fact that they wouldn't have anywhere to land was a secondary issue.

Now I bring this all up because, as I said, I'm not sure if rules for anything like this are covered in BT. And as mentioned, it would have a lot of drawbacks; pilots would have to go EVA to get to their fighters, it would be prohibitively difficult to collect or repair the fighters after the battle, the brackets are useless for absorbing shots, the fighters are exposed to the elements, etc. Basically only seen in desperate situations where kamikaze swarm tactics are called for, or for situations where one side has lost all common sense and is running on pure hatred.

As I have no experience coming up with large Aerospace equipment, I was wondering what you all thought of the idea, and whether it would be at all workable.

wundergoat

• Master Sergeant
Re: Jettisonable external fighterbays
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2012, 04:16:26 »
I think a poor man's fighter cube could work, so I took a shot at making rules.  I tried to capture the idea of it being generally a poor, last ditch sort of idea, but if you can live with the limitations, it gets a lot of extra fighters into play.

The bay does not include any space for a pilot or technicians.  Pilots must be allotted to passenger berths or cargo.

The bays are only the fighter's cradle, rocket boosters, and minimal micrometeorite protection for the fighter.  When the fighter launches, the cradle is ejected and considered destroyed.  Cradles weigh 50 tons when carried as cargo, but do not count against a ships weight when attached.

Fighters are loaded into the cradles following the rules for transferring cargo.

When mounted in a cradle, fighters may not be serviced in any way.  No fuel, no ammo, no repairs.

The carrying ship can only use 2 thrust points/turn.  Any more automatically ejects all fighter cradles as the brackets are not designed for the stresses.

Ejection bays are automatically ejected in atmosphere.  Ejection bays mounted on a ship during a hyperspace jump are destroyed, along with any fighters and pilots contained.

Fighter pilots must EVA to their fighters and then re-pressurize the fighter.  This process takes 1 hour, after which the pre-flight process begins.  Pre-flight takes 50% longer as a result of not having technicians supporting.  If the carrier spends thrust while the pilots are in EVA, the pilots must make immediate piloting rolls as if ejecting.  Failure indicates pilot damage, while success merely indicates the pilot is tossed into space.  On an unmodified result of 2, the pilot falls into the carrier's drive plume and incinerated, regardless of success.

Since the fighter cradle is ejected from the carrier, a ship to launch any number of fighters from these bays per round.  However, the pilots must then detach the fighter from the cradle.  Fighters attached to cradles may not spend thrust and follow the velocity and heading of the carrier at time of launch.  Detaching the fighter requires a successful piloting roll, while failure indicated that the fighter did not detach.  Fighters attempting to detach may not spend thrust, even if they make the piloting roll.

A dropship may carry 1 ejection bay per 1000 tons of mass.  Stations, jumpships, and warships may carry 1 ejection bay per 10,000 tons.  Ejection bays are 'mounted' on the side hit locations of the vessel (side/wing for dropships, fore/aft quarters for jumpers and warships, any location for stations).  Maximum capacity per location is the maximum overall capacity divided by the number of valid mounting locations, rounded up.  Ejection bays mounted on anything but a station must be mounted symmetrically.

Any weapon bays firing from the side or wing arcs of a carrier may not fire while ejection bays are still attached.  Examples: An interdictor is carrying 6 fighters, 3 side/wing.  While the ejection bays are mounted, the interdictor may not fire forward or rear wing weapons.  A McKenna is carrying 60 fighters in ejection bays in the fore quarter locations.  While the bays are attached, the fore quarter and broadside bays may not fire, though the aft quarter bays may fire as normal.

Damage inflicted to locations with attached ejectable bays do damage to the carrier as normal, but also strikes random fighters in 5 point groupings to the Nose location.  If a fighter is struck, it is ejected though it is still considered attached to its cradle and must detach as normal.  If a fighter is ejected in this manner while its pilot is in EVA, the pilot is killed.

BritMech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2012, 05:25:07 »
One of these nations decided to go for broke and sent practically every fighter they possessed with their battlefleet. They did this by more or less duct-taping a bunch of external fighterbays (little more than crude mounting brackets holding a bunch of fighters each) to all their capital ships and launching them all in one giant swarm once they got to the battle.

Anything making a jump needs to be contained within the KF field, and to be certain of that it needs to be inside the DropShip. Everything outside risks being torn apart, with some parts making the jump and some not.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2012, 09:00:14 »
Anything making a jump needs to be contained within the KF field, and to be certain of that it needs to be inside the DropShip. Everything outside risks being torn apart, with some parts making the jump and some not.

This. The practical reality of jump mechanics in the BT universe preclude the use of jettisonable external pods outside dropships, jumpships or warships.

You can fluff a design to say that it has this feature, but it would gain no practical bonus, given that units are designed with a fixed tonnage: regardless of equipment loss, a unit will always "weigh" the same.

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2012, 11:44:19 »
This. The practical reality of jump mechanics in the BT universe preclude the use of jettisonable external pods outside dropships, jumpships or warships.

Dang. I forgot about that. Being based loosely on Freespace, NodeWars' jump mechanics were different (and thus more forgiving of objects outside the hull proper).

It *might* still be workable in a defensive situation, tho, if the ship in question didn't particularly have to go anywhere.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2012, 12:28:45 »
In giving it some thought, It might be possible to create a dropship with minimal everything (SI, thrust, armour, etc...) but with a number of ASF bays; flavour-wise it might fit the description, but would really offer no real advantage over a more traditional CV dropper.