Author Topic: Vincent Mark 57: Blake Triumphant  (Read 2572 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Vincent Mark 57: Blake Triumphant
« on: 11 May 2020, 17:10:35 »
An upgraded version of my eariler Mark 27 vincent, built by the Word of Blake to establish forward bases and outposts to control the Inner Sphere.

No fluff yet. I have a vague notion of using the design in an alternate universe story where the Word of Blake won the jihad. The story would be set primarily aboard one of these ships, captured by rebels and named the Whore of Babylon.

Vincent Corvette Mk 57
Mass: 420,000 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Introduced: 3076
Mass: 420,000
Battle Value: 20,792
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-F-F
Cost: 11,387,868,000 C-bills

Fuel: 2,000 tons (5,000)
Safe Thrust: 4
Maximum Thrust: 6
Sail Integrity: 4
KF Drive Integrity: 10
Heat Sinks: 493 (986)
Structural Integrity: 40

Armor
    Nose: 44
    Fore Sides: 51/51
    Aft Sides: 51/51
    Aft: 44

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Small Craft (4)         1 Door   
    Bay 2:  Fighter (6)             2 Doors   
    Bay 3:  Dropshuttle (2)         1 Door   
    Bay 4:  Dropshuttle (2)         1 Door   
    Bay 5:  Dropshuttle (2)         1 Door   
    Bay 6:  Dropshuttle (2)         1 Door   
    Bay 7:  Cargo (51398.0 tons)    2 Doors   

Ammunition:
    400 rounds of Light SCC ammunition (4 tons),
    30 rounds of Barracuda ammunition (30 tons)

Dropship Capacity: 0
Grav Decks: 1 (60 m)
Escape Pods: 8
Life Boats: 8
Crew:  28 officers, 111 enlisted/non-rated, 24 gunners, 32 bay personnel, 40 passengers, 36 BA marines      

Notes: Equipped with
    lithium-fusion battery system
    1 Mobile Hyperpulse Generators (Mobile HPG)
   336 tons of ferro-carbide armor.

Weapons:                                    Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat)                              Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV      ERV    Class       
Nose (20 Heat)
2 Capital Missile Launcher (Barracuda)  20   4(40)   4(40)   4(40)    4(40)   Capital Missile
    Barracuda Ammo (30 shots)
FRS/FLS (122 Heat)
5 Sub-Capital Cannon (Light)            60   10(100) 10(100) 10(100)   0(0)   Sub-Capital Cannon
    Light SCC Ammo (100 shots)
2 Large VSP Laser                       20   2(20)   1(14)    0(0)     0(0)   Pulse Laser
6 Laser AMS                             42   2(18)    0(0)    0(0)     0(0)   AMS         
RBS/LBS (122 Heat)
5 Sub-Capital Cannon (Light)            60   10(100) 10(100) 10(100)   0(0)   Sub-Capital Cannon
    Light SCC Ammo (100 shots)
2 Large VSP Laser                       20   2(20)   1(14)    0(0)     0(0)   Pulse Laser
6 Laser AMS                             42   2(18)    0(0)    0(0)     0(0)   AMS         
ARS/ALS (42 Heat)
« Last Edit: 14 May 2020, 18:01:41 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
Re: Vincent Mark 57
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2020, 17:52:16 »
I thought that the WoB did win the Jihad...

... :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2020, 18:07:45 »
Needs a few NL/45s, really...  ^-^

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 18:31:09 »
out of curiosity, why would the WOB use obsolete dropshuttles instead of standard dropcollars?

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 19:07:40 »
out of curiosity, why would the WOB use obsolete dropshuttles instead of standard dropcollars?

Moving around space stations without having to pay the ridiculous price for a KF boom.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2020, 22:44:15 »
Moving around space stations without having to pay the ridiculous price for a KF boom.

This. It's literally cheaper to build this ship with all its bells and whistles and a 150,000 ton capacity repair yard to stuff in the bay than it is to just build the same sort of repair yard with a KF boom.

I mean, I think it is. I haven't actually run the numbers myself so I'm trusting what MML gives me. But even if it isn't, you're only paying for the ship once, so it'll make up the cost really quick. 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2020, 22:56:43 »
This. It's literally cheaper to build this ship with all its bells and whistles and a 150,000 ton capacity repair yard to stuff in the bay than it is to just build the same sort of repair yard with a KF boom.

I mean, I think it is. I haven't actually run the numbers myself so I'm trusting what MML gives me. But even if it isn't, you're only paying for the ship once, so it'll make up the cost really quick.

I've found MML's cost calculations to be very accurate.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2020, 23:12:00 »
I've found MML's cost calculations to be very accurate.

I was suspicious about whether it was actually accounting for the cost of the dropshuttle bays accurately, and after some quick checking it turns out I was right. From what I can tell, MML is including the per-unit cost of each dropshuttle bay, but isn't including the additional cost of them being treated like docking collars (each dropshuttle bay counts as two collars for cost calculation). The Mark 57 Vincent should actually come in at around 30 billion instead of 11.

And it's STILL more cost effective than building stations with KF booms!  :D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2020, 23:49:14 »
I do wonder how hard it is to refit a vessel with DropShuttle bays versus docking collars.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2020, 23:57:59 »
I do wonder how hard it is to refit a vessel with DropShuttle bays versus docking collars.

I see no reason why it would be a serious problem to do as long as the physical space is available, since the actual mass being jumped doesn't change.

Aside from Cthulhu problems. Cthulhu is my go-to explanation for everything that doesn't make sense in aerospace rules. Particularly if they're cost related.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2020, 03:36:30 »
Interesting design but I feel sorry for the rebels if they encounter another WarShip I know it's only a Corvette but some range other than the missiles would be nice.

Then again maybe that's why it was captured
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2020, 03:43:20 »
Interesting design but I feel sorry for the rebels if they encounter another WarShip I know it's only a Corvette but some range other than the missiles would be nice.

Then again maybe that's why it was captured

In the ship's defense, she's a more capable combatant than the original Vincent.  :P

But yeah, Corvette designation aside, functionally she's an armed transport rather than a combat ship. Against serious opposition the priority to running rather than fighting.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2020, 04:30:33 »
As a transport shes maybe over gunned? But it's still a 420k WarShip it needs something and the sub-capital guns look really good on it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2020, 08:10:11 »
I was suspicious about whether it was actually accounting for the cost of the dropshuttle bays accurately, and after some quick checking it turns out I was right. From what I can tell, MML is including the per-unit cost of each dropshuttle bay, but isn't including the additional cost of them being treated like docking collars (each dropshuttle bay counts as two collars for cost calculation). The Mark 57 Vincent should actually come in at around 30 billion instead of 11.

And it's STILL more cost effective than building stations with KF booms!  :D

I thought that I had checked that specific annoying feature of dropshuttle bays.

Maybe I just thought about it.

My bad.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2020, 08:17:50 »
Nice ship!  Question, ahhh what are you exactly putting in those DropShuttles Bays? I don't think there ever been official dropshuttle design made.  I suspect the Saturn Patrol Ship (Primitive DropShip) maybe one that could.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2020, 18:00:49 »
author: Hey look! Fluff text!

We all know about the Vincent. Propaganda from out Protectorate way is full of them moving relief supplies, shipping food to starving settlements, transporting valiant peacekeepers fighting against filthy anarchists, rebels, pirates, and Taurians. Anybody who works the spacelanes has seen them too, at space docks carrying a League governor's Luggage, in transit hauling "malcontents" from one penal colony to another, or disgorging swarms of landing craft on planets whose definitions of "freedom" have gotten a bit too permissive. We've all seen them, they're everywhere.

The Star League depends on them is what I'm getting at. And they have for a while, even before they managed to nuke everybody into accepting them as the Star League. The Mark 57 is actually based on an older design, the Mark 27, which dates back to the actual Star League. Anyway, the Word either already had or converted a couple of these old Mark 27s and used them to set up outposts and staging areas for their upcoming campaign, and it worked so well that they kept doing it. Eventually, deciding an old Mark 27 wasn't really equipped to protect itself if it got caught by any of the naval forces they hadn't run down yet, they came up with an upgrade package that they called the Mark 57. More armor, newer guns, marines, an extra deep missile magazine to hold nukes. All that good stuff. And it did its job, so they made more of them. Lots more.

Let me be pedantic for a moment. Most people call them Vincents. People who want to show off how "with it" they are will call them Vincent Mark 57s. It's my pleasure to call those smug losers wrong, because they call every Vincent a Mark 57. They aren't. At least not really. Mark 57 specifically refers to those ships that are equipped to transport station modules, and the majority of the Vincents floating around the League aren't equipped for that. The first ones were, because it was what the Word needed. Once they started building them to support their empire, though, what they needed were cargo carriers and troop transports. So that's what they built, and that's what you see nowadays, and because they're different, they each have a slightly different designation. The Mark 57A carries bulk cargo, about ninety thousand tons worth. Those are the ones shipping cargo from place to place, including people if the need arises. You can fit a lot of cots and very basic sanitation equipment in a 57A's cargo hold, and if the passengers get upity it's just a short jaunt out the cargo bay door to not being a problem anymore.

The ones you see valiantly suppressing the hell out of unruly civilians are Mark 57Bs. These are troop transports, with space for over a hundred landing craft and their complements of protomechs, vehicles, and cybernetically augmented psychopaths. Smart people know these things on sight, and will usually know to get away from a world if one or more of them show up.

And if we're gonna talk Vincents, we gotta talk about the Whore of Babylon. Regular listeners will know all about her. Out fighting the good fight, running guns to rebels, supplies to the unfortunate, supplying faxes and transport so humble pirate broadcasters like yours truly can get the word out, even taking swats at the League directly when they can. But there's more to it than that. Hearing about the Whore is the first time I've felt hope since old Yvonne ordered the banners pulled down. And to explain that, I gotta explain just how important the original Mark 57, no bloody A or B, was to the Word's takeover.

We know how the Word beat us. And if you don't, you can get a hint from how every "legitimate" jumpship started from a Terran yard and is registered and secured via FTL beacon and the Star League Department of Trade. The Word stripped away our interstellar capabilities. Starting halfway through 68, they hit every jumpship yard in the Inner Sphere. Didn't try to take them, didn't try to preserve anything, they flattened them with swarms of megaton yield missiles. Then they used more missiles (or just great big rocks) to take out the places that had built them, and the places that had the understanding to build them. The trade hubs where lots of traffic went through were hit with biological weapons, spreading contagions along the trade lines, killing jumpship crews, infecting other worlds, and making those that survived afraid to even let a jumpship visit for fear of bringing another plague.

Then they started hunting every jump capable ship they could find. They had a hell of a lot more warships than we thought they did, hell, more than we thought anybody could have. They didn't get all of ours, but between the ones they got, the yards we lost, the ****** bioweapons, they did enough. The interstellar economy collapsed. The Inner Sphere went dark. Worlds were isolated from one another. Unable to count on each other. Unable to fight alone. Then they just started picking us off, world by world. Some surrendered. Most resisted. None of them for very long. Either they learned the error of their ways and bowed to the new order, or their homeworld briefly got some new moons until they suddenly didn't. We won't ever actually know how high it got, but by simple math based on the number of worlds that aren't on the map anymore, the death toll during the "Second Reunification War" was easily over a trillion people.

But that wasn't the only thing they did. They also used the Mark 57s to set up new industry in out of the way places. They built up massive industrial complexes, starting from small manufacturing modules stuffed in a Mark 57's bay, hidden and off our radar, to protect themselves against the exact same tactics they were using. That's why when the Capellans got lucky and took out the Titan yards in '78, and when the Regulans managed to drop half a hundred megaton yield nukes on Europe in '79, and when those suicidal Taurians managed to crash the Vandenberg into Hilton Head in '82, it only slowed them down. It never stopped them. It couldn't stop them. They knew where all our weak points were, and they'd already moved theirs to somewhere else.

So now we circle back to the old Whore, and why I feel hope again. You see, the mad lads who took her didn't just steal a transport. The League's got plenty of those, no real loss. They didn't take out a troopship. They captured a station transport, and this one was packed to the gills with a full load of manufacturing modules. The same ones the Word used to build their hidden industries. And they're using them. Somewhere, out there, there's a new network of stations churning out material, equipment, entire jumpships, and most importantly more stations, always expanding. Free folk, ex-military, ships and crews who'd been hiding all this time trying to avoid being eliminated, they're starting to gather. They've got something to rally around, an ever expanding source of supply to put their gear back together, get their ships back into trim. And they've got humble broadcasters like yours truly, willing to spread the word. Letting you all know that we can fight back.

And we will fight back. However long it takes. And we will win. Ladies and gentlemen, mankind will be free.

~Excerpt from "Pirate Radio" broadcast circulating in Avalon City, New Avalon, Circa 26 NSLC (New Star League Calendar)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2020, 18:02:40 »
Nice ship!  Question, ahhh what are you exactly putting in those DropShuttles Bays? I don't think there ever been official dropshuttle design made.  I suspect the Saturn Patrol Ship (Primitive DropShip) maybe one that could.

Small space stations, which are then chained together at their destination into a larger space station complex.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Vincent Mark 57: Blake Triumphant
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2020, 18:14:51 »
Well...that's a bright and cheery AU.  Wow.

Note, I'm not saying it was badly done.  It wasn't.  It's very well done.  Just...wow.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2020, 20:51:50 »
Gives the term unleash hell a whole new meaning and to think all it took was a Vincent

If sounds like the Jihad done on hard mode and actually pretty interesting it's like the Empire being picked apart by rebels always a point away from destruction

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2020, 00:43:30 »
you know, the end of that radio broadcast reminds me of something..  I wonder if there a Leia in the rebel command structure.

Doesn't sound like "happy" AU, but could be interesting
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2020, 03:10:13 »
what do you want to bet that the first thing those rebels did after taking a warship and finding a full turn-key orbital factory set up was to go out to some remote spot, set up the factory, and set it to start making more factory modules? go for exponential growth until you can afford to devote it to other things.

Register