Author Topic: Clan Weapon: Hyper Pulse Disruptor  (Read 3462 times)

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
Clan Weapon: Hyper Pulse Disruptor
« on: 30 January 2011, 12:08:29 »
I've been toying around with this idea in my head.

Please offer some criticism and advice on how to make this a better balanced weapon and something that doesn't look like it can fill an entire page like the C3 rules.
Hyper Pulse Disruptor

Direct energy, tech level F, Availability F

Type   Range       Dmg   Heat   Tons   Crits
LRG   7/14/21      3      2     1.5     4

MED   4/8/12       2      1     1.0     2

Design Rule:
Incompatible with targeting computers.

Penalty:
Soldiers augmented with enhanced imaging modify their targeting roll during the attack phase by -2/-1/0 at long/medium/short
 range respectively as long as you declare to fire that weapon.

Bonuses
Has two special abilities.

The first affects consciousness.
The second affects concentration.
The actual results varies from unit to unit.

Infantry
A direct hit renders X number of infantry as disoriented where X equals the weapon's damage.

For every 6 soldiers disoriented reduce infantry MP and JP by one for only the following turn.
MP can't be reduced below one as long as one soldier isn't disoriented.

When all soldiers are disoriented if they are struck again by a disrupter in that combat phase they can not move at all in the
next turn.

[Infantry modified by certain cybernetic enhancements increase the number of required soldiers to be affected by disorientation
to 9.]

Battle Armor
Lose one MP and JP for every soldier disoriented but can still move a minimum of one MP even when all soldiers are disoriented.

[Elemental phenotypes take 2 hits to be disoriented. All others take one hit.]

When all soldiers are disoriented and if they are struck again by a disrupter in that combat phase they can not move at all in
the next turn.

Protomechs
A direct hit to the Center Torso disorients the pilot. Make a consciousness roll in the end phase with a +2 modifier on your roll result
(i.e. rolling a 12 counts a 14 instead).

[Protomech warriors who are from the aerospace phenotype increase the modifier to +3 instead of +2.]

Vehicles/Fighters/VTOLs/WiGEs/Mechs
Each time a location is struck apply 1 Disruption Point (DP) to that Location and 0.5 DP to the adjacent location.
Adjacency is determined by how normal damage is transferred.

When A locations accumulates the following amount of DP that counts as a direct hit to the crew or pilot(s).

Refer to the table at the bottom to see DP accumulation requirements.

Vehicles
On the first direct hit to the vehicle crew the owner has to make a consciousness roll in the end phase with a +3 modifier to their
roll.

[Vehicles weighing less than 31 tons modify this roll by -1.]

[Vehicles weighing less than 16 tons modify this roll by an additional -1 for a cumulative total of -2 to the result.]

Each direct hit to the vehicle crew causes them to have a cumulative +1 piloting penalty that manifests during the physical attack
phase and goes away at the beginning of the next attack phase.

VTOLs/WIGEs/Fighters
On the first direct hit to the pilot the owner has to make a consciousness roll in the end phase with a +2 modifier to their
roll. You only roll once on the consciousness table for disruption attacks.

[Pilots of the aerospace phenotype increase this roll by +1.]

[A copilot increases this roll by +1.]

Each direct hit to the pilot(s) causes them to have a cumulative +1 control penalty that manifests during the physical attack

Battlemechs
On the first direct hit to the pilot the owner has to make a consciousness roll in the end phase with a +2 modifier to their
roll. You only roll once on the consciousness table for disruption attacks.

[Pilots augmented by enhanced imaging reduce the die result by -2.]

[A copilot increases this roll by +1.]

Each direct hit to the pilot(s) causes them to have a cumulative +1 piloting penalty that manifests during the physical attack

Definition clarification: Direct hits as described in these rules do not count as damage points to the pilot/crew.

Tank/VTOL/WIGEFront CenterFront LeftFront RightRear CenterRear LeftRear Right
DP333444
FighterNoseAftLeft WingRight Wing
DP3544
BattlemechHeadCenter Torso*Left Torso*Right Torso*Left ArmRight Arm
DP234466

*It doesn't matter if the attack comes from the front or rear.

evilauthor

• Captain
Re: Clan Weapon: Hyper Pulse Disruptor
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2011, 23:49:55 »
This thing is kind of hard to assess given the lack of fluff on just what this thing is. From the name and game effects though, it sounds like someone using a modified HPG as some kind of ECM attack.

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2011, 07:55:00 »
I didn't want to do fluff because the science would be wonky.

The weapon is essentially a giant white noise generator that focuses the sound wave into a confined cone.

Sound in general doesn't really have the properties to focus it into something usable as a direct impact weapon, so I just hand-waved that bad science with more bad science by assuming the clans understanding of HPG tech could overcome that.

So the damage is weak compared to other energy weapons but the impact on the human body is dramatic because it messes with their head.

The level of impact is affected by interference of all the slabs of metal and various forms of electronic interference between the sound wave and the target, and the number of humans represented as the target because genetically some will be more resilient than others.

I threw in extra consideration for enhanced imaging because my rough understanding of it as advanced radar. Therefore firing such a weapon is like putting a target painter on yourself but at the same time they are more prone to having their heads messed with by such a weapon.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2011, 22:07:16 »
Hate to be the bearer of dead catgirls, but a sonic weapon effecting something as hardened as a Battlemech seems unlikely. Espescially if it leaves unarmored infantry as anything but a thin paste. And as a purely game mechanic it seems like this disruptor would be pretty hard to use with the different rules for each unit type.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2011, 01:16:55 »
Yeah I agree the sub rules need more streamlining. I will work on that.