Author Topic: Fan Finance 2.0 Questions  (Read 193975 times)

klarg1

• Captain
Re: Fan Finance 2.0 Questions
« Reply #210 on: 29 June 2015, 06:03:27 »
I have the master for the new Highlander in hand and am assembling.  Wow.  Like, thats all I can say.  Wow.

I am more about fixing turds or things that can be better.  My dream's a Gunslinger *shrug*

I don't want to take Fan Financing down again with such obscure stuff that five people are going to buy and it's shelved.

Not that the Gunslinger wouldn't benefit from a little love, but I'm still wishing for a Bellerophon.  :'(

Of course, 2 of my 3 votes from the first round got funded and made, so I can't complain all that much.

My only real concern going forward is that the race to add variant parts will drive up the prices on the fan-funded kits. All that extra mold-making and material costs, and not many people will be happy to pay a 30-50% premium to get them. (Numbers pulled out of thin air - do not take as data!)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #211 on: 29 June 2015, 07:10:26 »
Well, the 'slinger only has one or two variants that aren't needed as they look nearly identical to each other!  :D

I don't know if it's been clear whether the variant models come with the main unit all as one or if you have to buy the variant pieces like you would Omni variant parts.

I would look at BA from 3145 myself.  I'm hesitant to go after 'mechs from 3145 as I don't want them to end up on an online only basis.  I guess I don't mind waiting for awhile longer for some of them.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #212 on: 29 June 2015, 07:30:01 »
BA and vehicles would be my hope for round 2. Mechs have enough spotlight in the regular IWM releases, what we don't see so much are the other unit types.
I want the Red Kite. Did I ever mention that before? ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #213 on: 29 June 2015, 07:47:44 »
I want the Red Kite. Did I ever mention that before? ;)

Nope, never heard you say that before.   :D
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #214 on: 29 June 2015, 09:16:52 »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but with limited time I need to; is this project ongoing. It looks like all the mechs are already funded, I dont want to be late to the party for every model.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #215 on: 29 June 2015, 11:15:22 »
I THINK the Flashman needs another 25 or 50 to get all the variants "unlocked" and then the thread for the Black Knight will go up to fund.  After that I think there will be a new vote.

Gunslinger, Grey Death Infiltrator BA, Cuchulainn Support BA, and Schildkröte tanks are some I'd love to get done in later rounds :D

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #216 on: 29 June 2015, 11:48:56 »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but with limited time I need to; is this project ongoing. It looks like all the mechs are already funded, I dont want to be late to the party for every model.

Yup. There were six items chosen for round 1. The XTRO: Most Wanted "Red Reaper" Black Knight is the final entry of the original six. Sometime in the not-too-distant-future, another round of suggestions followed by a poll to select a new group of fundable projects will follow.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #217 on: 29 June 2015, 19:18:54 »
The Gunlinger just needs new arms. Similarly, the Blood Kite could be salvaged with new, longer legs and a better head. The Pillager needs a 3mm insert above the waist, and it's brilliant.

There's stuff that could be "fixed" without needing an entire resculpt. But I don't know what issues may be involved in selling combinations of new & old work - whether royalties etc. would become a problem.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #218 on: 29 June 2015, 19:47:06 »
IWM and us fundicators just need to be careful not to contravene the moral rights of the original sculptor if we go down that route with the fan funding.

There was a big court case here in Canberra, Australia a few years ago when they decided to do the extension to the National Gallery of Australia. The original architect did not like the proposed design of the extension and took the Australian Government to court claiming that they impinged his moral rights by modifying his original architectural design for the building. All federal government construction/consultancy contracts now have a clause which has the designers sign over their moral rights to the design as a result of this court case.

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #219 on: 29 June 2015, 19:51:54 »
Thanks Feenix for providing detail on the vague and unspecific recollections I had about that sort of thing.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #220 on: 29 June 2015, 20:05:17 »
No problems.

It certainly can be done. Just best to do it with the consent of the original sculptor, which adds an extra level of complexity to the process and then we would have to consider whether it is just easier to do a complete re-sculpt instead.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #221 on: 29 June 2015, 21:15:59 »
The Gunlinger just needs new arms. Similarly, the Blood Kite could be salvaged with new, longer legs and a better head. The Pillager needs a 3mm insert above the waist, and it's brilliant.

There's stuff that could be "fixed" without needing an entire resculpt. But I don't know what issues may be involved in selling combinations of new & old work - whether royalties etc. would become a problem.

W.

See, I disagree on the 'slinger.

vs

It's a very tall flat miniature (I own like four... I kind of like it even if I only use it on occasion lol) overall and I've always felt Plogg's reworking of it gave it more beef and also fixed the arms.  Add to the fact that the original is a one piece and would need reworking I'd personally like to see it ground up from the Plogg art.  We've seen amazing resurrections with the Battle Hawk, Huron Warrior, Fireball and Dart (I think?) from 3055 and of course I have the resculpt Highlander in hand and am still cleaning the drool off the table and I'd love to see the same with the 'slinger :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #222 on: 29 June 2015, 21:19:55 »
I confess I'm biased; I quite like the 'bash I did with DA parts, which just replaced the arms. A full resculpt - albeit not looking like it's about to fall backwards - would be great; I was just thinking "along the edge of the box" about how to get more bang for buck.

You want flat, talk to me about the Cerberus ;)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #223 on: 29 June 2015, 21:26:26 »
Haha, true true.  I trust B-3 to not have a backwards tipping 'slinger.

The Cerberus is pretty flat, though I always thought it worked well enough.  Dunno.  My bias there as I never cared for the ride lol

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #224 on: 30 June 2015, 10:24:00 »

W.

I like the idea of doing parts, but I had thought one of the rules was specifically against that?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #225 on: 30 June 2015, 16:17:00 »
Probably because of the sort of legal reasons Feenix74 raised. Still, a man can dream ;)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #226 on: 30 June 2015, 17:42:18 »
Probably because of the sort of legal reasons Feenix74 raised. Still, a man can dream ;)

Dare to dream Worktroll, dare to dream brother. O0

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #227 on: 30 June 2015, 17:51:26 »
I will just bide my time for the DFA lord's backing, as I still don't have a clear idea of how the community is approaching the Flashman.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #228 on: 01 July 2015, 00:24:09 »
Judging by the conversation in the Flashman thread, it sounds it's going to be a similar process to the Highlander re-sculpt. IAMCLANWOLF is doing the orthos based on inspiration of an amalgamation of the best parts of the various canon art work. It turned out fantastic for the Highlander so I expect the Flashman to turn out just as well. So far I'd say fan Financing has been a great success although in the future, maybe we should call it a semi-annual project instead of a quarterly project.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #229 on: 01 July 2015, 10:02:47 »
Judging by the conversation in the Flashman thread, it sounds it's going to be a similar process to the Highlander re-sculpt. IAMCLANWOLF is doing the orthos based on inspiration of an amalgamation of the best parts of the various canon art work. It turned out fantastic for the Highlander so I expect the Flashman to turn out just as well. So far I'd say fan Financing has been a great success although in the future, maybe we should call it a semi-annual project instead of a quarterly project.

The Flashman will be done like the Highlandernad the first draft that IAMCLANWOLF showed me looks awesome!  O0

I agree the Fan Financing 2.0 has been a great success.  It has been slow out of the gate but I expect things to ramp up now that we have streamlined our operation in this first round. 
"Don't start nothin' won't be nothin' " - J

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #230 on: 01 July 2015, 10:16:25 »
I've been really impressed with the level of community cooperation and the fidelity shown to the coolest versions of the models in question.

A.E. Housman

wolfshadow

• Recruit
« Reply #231 on: 05 August 2015, 20:41:54 »
Hi guys.  I need a small, teeny, tiny clarification.  8)  I've read the 2.0 stuff, but still a bit unsure.

So say there is an 800 dollar funding fee for oh I dunno...an Urbanmech doing the moonwalk.  It gets funded.  Those 800 dollars go towards the sculpting, and molds right?  But then after that...it's available to anyone to order online?  Like it's not a limited release, and not only available for a specific window of time etc?

Thanks!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #232 on: 05 August 2015, 23:57:15 »
Based on the IWM catalogue numbers for the APCs and the Primitive Rifleman (ie they start BT-) they will likely be an IWM webstore online exclusive item but not limited editions or available only for a limited time.

Your friendly local miniature pewter arms-dealer should be able to get them in for you as well (they may have to charge you a little bit extra).

wolfshadow

• Recruit
« Reply #233 on: 06 August 2015, 13:56:28 »
Thank you for the reply! :)

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #234 on: 06 August 2015, 14:33:44 »
This isn't a question so much as a request, but before we start the round 2 suggestion thread, could we please get an updated release schedule so that we don't waste time suggesting something that's already on the release schedule?
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #235 on: 06 August 2015, 15:05:14 »
Last time weren't we just given a list of choices? I don't recall a thread where we decided what to vote on. We already have a base of knowledge in the re-sculpt and Not-Done-Yet threads that provides a starting point.

A.E. Housman

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #236 on: 06 August 2015, 15:24:08 »
As far as I'm concerned you can start voting on the 6 subjects for the next round.
"Don't start nothin' won't be nothin' " - J

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #237 on: 06 August 2015, 17:29:21 »
Wilco. Will do this in the IWM News and Announcements Thread.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #238 on: 06 August 2015, 17:53:12 »
I have also some small suggestions I feel may be of interest to the community. I'd like to make a poll, but I don't want this to descend into a war on the subject.

1. Parts. It would of course be up to the community, IWM and B-3, but do we wish to devote some effort to new sculpted parts for current minis to create variants or "fix" otherwise serviceable sculpts?

2. Re-sculpts are always a contemptuous issue; I would propose that no more than half the projects be re-sculpts.

3. Finally, I would like to see the floor opened to other types of minis. So far we have only proceeded with Mech and Vehicle projects. I propose we open the floor to others; such as BA and Aerofighters.

A.E. Housman

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #239 on: 06 August 2015, 20:10:53 »
I would suggest a batter Leviathan sculpt. I would easily throw 200 bucks towards that.