Author Topic: How does a mercenary go from zero to hero?  (Read 4326 times)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: How does a mercenary go from zero to hero?
« Reply #30 on: 09 April 2018, 17:04:16 »
Here’s an idea: Chaos March militia.

You joined for patriotism, because you’re sick of the Sucessor Lords raping your planet or just because uniforms gets chicks.
After a couple years in grade, the raiders come calling and you’re the hero of the fray.
Now, you’ve spent a couple years honing your craft, you have the reputation and hero status, people will willingly follow you (maybe half your old company declares they want to form their own outfit with you at the head after an epic drinking session).

So... who would refuse you a loan? Maybe you’ll even get government backing and some discounts while buying equipment if you offer to stick around for a bit.

Now you’re a merc. You spend a couple years working the Chaos March - nothing flash, lots of small time contracts helping governments put down insurgencies, lots of garrison and defence work.
But now you have a rep - honest and hard working. But Kell Hounds you ain’t.

So, now you get a sponsor: the Word of Blake is looking for hardworking types to help them restore order on a couple world.
Now, you’re getting wealthier - finally you can afford that second company and fill out your armour company.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #31 on: 11 April 2018, 16:48:59 »
A Merc isn't a hero until he has gone interstellar.

What do I mean? Don't despise small beginnings.  Don't fret starting local, or assume that there's nothing local to do.

Each BattleTech World is chock full of millions of people. A good portion actually have a couple billion. Many of these worlds have those populations broken out and down by levels of nobility overlords.

It's not hard to assume, in a neo-feudal society that there are generational grievances and grudges constantly leading to small, isolated conflicts.  For that matter, nobles jockeying for power could lead to machinations that result in a small armored battle in the countryside somewhere. 

Whether this conflict is handled by a lord's bodyguards, or some of his vassal retinues disguised as pirates/mercs, or by honest hired mercs, is up to the people styling the conflict. But, you don't need to go interstellar to start looking for trouble that may or may not pay.

You build your reputation on the planet, and if you do well enough, handle yourself honorably enough, and are generally discreet, it might not take long before you have your first interstellar contract.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #32 on: 12 April 2018, 18:03:24 »
Step 1) Get a Battlemech

Step 2) do something REALLY DESPERATE AND STUPID that looks totally awesome from a third person perspective (See the Pacific Rim Flare Gun Scene)

Step 3) Hire a PR Agent

Step 4) Paint your Panther Pink

The legend of Ace Darwin in a nutshell
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #33 on: 12 April 2018, 19:01:08 »
Yeah, until you get bush wacked in a dark alley by a Waco Warhammer on Outreach just before you deploy for a contract!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 12 April 2018, 19:07:14 »
Yeah, until you get bush wacked in a dark alley by a Waco Warhammer on Outreach just before you deploy for a contract!

TT

Dude, that's the way Ace wanted to go! There's old mercs and bold mercs - no old, bold mercs...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #35 on: 12 April 2018, 19:10:19 »
Dude, that's the way Ace wanted to go! There's old mercs and bold mercs - no old, bold mercs...

I don't know... Snord Cranston was old and bold, shewed as hell too!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #36 on: 13 April 2018, 18:07:23 »
I'm pretty sure the real answer is just simulator time anyways...

Like... How does an Olympic Athlete go from zero to hero?

Well.. they were a zero when they were like.... 4.

It doesn't seem to me that Phelan Kell and a Clan Trueborn had that wildly different of an upbringing.

So just start good. Or die. Or become dispossessed.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith