Author Topic: Favorite bit of silly BTech trivia?  (Read 22898 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Favorite bit of silly BTech trivia?
« Reply #30 on: 09 April 2018, 15:39:11 »
definitely the spider's fault for not occupying the behemoth's hex and kicking it to death over the next seven hours.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #31 on: 09 April 2018, 17:39:14 »
Yeah that's the one... I'm a  :wheelchair:!

Could have sworn it was a Wasp... oh well.

definitely the spider's fault for not occupying the behemoth's hex and kicking it to death over the next seven hours.

Why? Turreted pairs of AC/10's and SRM-6's, also you have the rest depending on the arc. I'd fire those LRMs point-blank at 1 hex if I had a chance to hurt you.

TT
« Last Edit: 09 April 2018, 17:46:01 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #32 on: 09 April 2018, 19:33:44 »
tank can't fire on the spider if they're in the same hex. the spider is Annikin with the high ground.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 09 April 2018, 20:24:08 »
Since when?

Behemoth has " tactical " control of hex when in combat. Spider can only hit physically from next hex over. ( 1 hex ) Infantry can attack by the way of Swarming attacks.

But two NON align units cannot occupy same hex.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #34 on: 09 April 2018, 20:43:28 »
Quote from: TW pg 147
Vehicles: A ’Mech can kick or stomp a vehicle in the hex it occupies; randomly determine the side on which a vehicle takes damage.

But two NON align units cannot occupy same hex.

this is decidedly not true. see stacking rules

Quote from: TW pg 57
At the end of each Movement Phase, up to two units from each side may occupy a single hex (a maximum of four). These units can consist of any combination of vehicles and infantry, but only one of the four can be a ’Mech. This maximum is called the stacking limit.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2018, 20:50:49 by Sartris »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 09 April 2018, 20:58:14 »
Vehicles: A ’Mech can kick or stomp a vehicle in the hex it occupies; randomly determine the side on which a vehicle takes damage.

I read that as  A Mech can whatever to a vehicle's HEX, and said vehicle, but occupying said hex with said Mech is violating stacking rules.

Spider is OpFor- meaning it cannot occupy, without displacing unit beforehand, the hex.
Tank is player unit- meaning it needs to be displaced, there for it can still fire at anything!
Infantry as OpFor- meaning it can only occupy hex via swarm attack only, after that needs to return to last hex moved before swarm attack.
Infantry is player unit- meaning it can move thru hex, same goes for other player units.

At the end of each Movement Phase, up to two units from each side may occupy a single hex (a maximum of four). These units can consist of any combination of vehicles and infantry, but only one of the four can be a ’Mech. This maximum is called the stacking limit

But two NON align[/u] units cannot occupy same hex.

TT
« Last Edit: 09 April 2018, 21:00:02 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 09 April 2018, 21:01:59 »

I read that as  A Mech can whatever to a vehicle's HEX, and said vehicle, but occupying said hex with said Mech is violating stacking rules.

Spider is OpFor- meaning it cannot occupy, without displacing unit beforehand, the hex.
Tank is player unit- meaning it needs to be displaced, there for it can still fire at anything!
Infantry as OpFor- meaning it can only occupy hex via swarm attack only, after that needs to return to last hex moved before swarm attack.
Infantry is player unit- meaning it can move thru hex, same goes for other player units.

TT

Since this is really off topic (and it was originally meant more as a joke for how long it would take the spider to kick down the behemoth's armor), I'm not continuing this line of discussion. Suffice to say, the stacking rules are not ambiguous. A tank and a mech from opposing sides can occupy the same hex.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #37 on: 09 April 2018, 21:23:09 »
Ladies and gentlemen, if you have a rules question, post it in the correct area.  In the meantime, the stacking discussion is over.  Get back on topic, please.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 09 April 2018, 22:28:20 »
The thing that sticks with me, more than 20 years after I first read it, is Ricky Rodent from the Packrat entry in TRO 3025 - still gives me a chuckle, for some reason. Hey, I was a kid, kids can like dumb things.

One thing I HATED, though, was in an issue of Battletechnology Magazine, some lame-ass story that supposedly used Enter Sandman as code to signal a jailbreak.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 10 April 2018, 03:38:55 »
For me its definitly the way the tank crews on the Alacorn tank found out how a Pharaoh beer was the perfect track tension gauge. It was one of the rare good writing moments in BT, since you actually learn something about the universe with humorous side note. It´s way more interesting than the usual summing up armies and battalions that we usually get from this brand.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2018, 03:41:40 by Domi1981 »

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 10 April 2018, 03:51:17 »
The ATOW weapon descriptions tickle me no end. But the most memorable for me definitely is the Alacorn pyramid-beers. Maybe the Reed's Brew (?) party vans too.

One thing I HATED, though, was in an issue of Battletechnology Magazine, some lame-ass story that supposedly used Enter Sandman as code to signal a jailbreak.
using some kind of LAM modded with what Techmanual would call an "infantry bay" as well. I always thought that was fanfiction.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #41 on: 10 April 2018, 04:07:30 »
yes, the heady days when the lore wanted any tank to be outmatched by any mech, and the Behemoth pulled off an "improbable" victory against a Spider :)

That Spider *should* have been invincible in that scenario, without double-blind rules at least.

Lost initiative? Jump out of line-of-sight of the Behemoth.
Won initiative? Jump into the Behemoth´s hex where neither of you can shoot at the other, and kick it.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. I should read the rest of the thread before commenting.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 10 April 2018, 04:11:14 »
The story of the founding of the New Avalon Catholic Church always tickled me.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #43 on: 10 April 2018, 10:43:04 »
The story of the founding of the New Avalon Catholic Church always tickled me.
just the right mix of plausible and improbable. i mean, it basically used an Antipope scenario. Given the nature of the incident used to kick it off, and human nature, it is immanently believable.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #44 on: 10 April 2018, 10:53:13 »
The Star League SB tells that the Gestapo, after an attempt to extort money and riches from the already-stripped Rome and Vatican City, killed Pope Clement XXVII and many cardinals and bishops of the Roman Catholic Church in 2770.  Egocentric Cardinal Kinsey de Medici of New Avalon got a garbled version of the "you're on your own" message from Terra, and believed he’d been given full control of the Inner Sphere’s Catholic Church, declaring himself Pope Thomas X.

Interestingly, an NACC Pope named Clement XX is running the show by 2796 (per “The Purge” sidebar).  So not only did New Avalon break with the rest of the Catholic Church in the Inner Sphere over a garbled HPG transmission, but they decided that the last eight Clements (and perhaps any number of other Popes in between) didn’t count, and reset the numbering.

When I asked Herb Beas about this in a BattleChat (typo or schism?) he came down on the side of schism.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 10 April 2018, 14:43:47 »
At the end of each Movement Phase, up to two units from each side may occupy a single hex (a maximum of four). These units can consist of any combination of vehicles and infantry, but only one of the four can be a ’Mech. This maximum is called the stacking limit

A fast food restaurant created an entree based on that rule. From one to four patties.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #46 on: 10 April 2018, 14:44:43 »
Early fiction tried to establish that "Death's Head" Vang was one of the greatest 'Mech instructors in the Federated Suns, putting his students through grueling training apprenticeships.  Yet, the scenario that pitted his cadet graduates against the Black Widow Company showed most had gunnery skills of 6 or worse.  (Of course, scenarios of that era also gave Natasha a Gunnery of 4 or 5, and Grayson Death Carlyle a Gunnery of 8, so...)

Yeah. I remember the odd choices for Gunnery and Piloting I'd find, even in the MechWarrior RPG Character stats.

I like to think that this is proof that Grayson Carlyle and other POV characters can't be trusted as valid authorities on Mech combat when you read about why they choose to do something.  They aren't authoritative, just blessed by pools of fiat, and that a lot of the secondary characters that fight alongside them are the really, truly skilled people.

So, Grayson has a gunnery of 8, but he also has an edge pool of 8, too. Or more, even.

:thumbsup:
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 10 April 2018, 15:11:03 »
I don't recall which merc unit it was in FM:Mercs(R) (I don't have the books on-hand at work to check), but the CO and two XOs were familiar names to hockey fans- they formed the front line of the Vancouver Canucks of the mid-aughts (Markus Naslund, Brendan Morrisson, Todd Bertuzzi).
Quint's Olympian Groundpounders
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 10 April 2018, 17:35:01 »
I've always found it hard to believe the real life McDonalds theme song most of us heard on the radio / television sets of the 70's-today, (about the special sauce and all sesame seed bun one) is used in a reference to a BT Merc unit!

I'm talking about McCarron's Armored Calvary....

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #49 on: 11 April 2018, 02:47:50 »
using some kind of LAM modded with what Techmanual would call an "infantry bay" as well. I always thought that was fanfiction.

Pssst. BattleTechnology was fanfiction. FASA hadn't yet figured out that letting fans write canon is a Bad Idea.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 11 April 2018, 03:29:38 »
For me it's the treatment of the cartoon. it's a canon in universe cartoon.

ok i kinda want to read a 80's styled fanfic where TPTB are in fact mechwarriors from the future that come back in time to create Battletech to make sure they give people the inspiration to develop 'Mech's so that their future comes true  :D
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 11 April 2018, 03:49:31 »
Pssst. BattleTechnology was fanfiction. FASA hadn't yet figured out that letting fans write canon is a Bad Idea.
You're using "Fan Fiction" as a derogatory term, in the sense of "Bad Writing". That's a bit harsh, given that my own published BattleCorps stories are nothing but fan fiction at the end of the day, elevated to canon. Any fiction written for a shared universe boils down to fan fiction.

The point is that you need someone to factcheck and coordinate the universe building. A Line Developer who really knows the nuts and bolts of the universe. Herb was a godsent in this respect, he really tied the BattleTech universe together and fixed oh so many issues.

As for BattleTechnology, at least the first ten or so issues under the aegis of the Keith brothers were actually pretty good, certainly on par with their novels and actually pretty close to the Jihad era sourcebooks in their "newsreel as it happens" style, complete with oftentimes excellent artwork (especially the magazine covers) and even stories hidden between the lines and across several issues. It neatly fit into the timeline as it was being developed through the novels, and even gave extra background and tie-in information, like Keith's extensive writeup on Hassid Ricol. BattleTechnology was some impressive universe-building right there.

That said, I do grant you that the later issues could not uphold the initial sterling quality. But I wouldn't go so far as to call them outright bad, even when individual pieces of art and fiction had... issues.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2018, 03:52:45 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #52 on: 11 April 2018, 03:55:25 »
Yeah. I remember the odd choices for Gunnery and Piloting I'd find, even in the MechWarrior RPG Character stats.

I like to think that this is proof that Grayson Carlyle and other POV characters can't be trusted as valid authorities on Mech combat when you read about why they choose to do something.  They aren't authoritative, just blessed by pools of fiat, and that a lot of the secondary characters that fight alongside them are the really, truly skilled people.

So, Grayson has a gunnery of 8, but he also has an edge pool of 8, too. Or more, even.

:thumbsup:
Iirc, in the battledroids version of the rules, weren't piloting and gunnery figured a bit differently?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 11 April 2018, 13:12:06 »
Not to mention Team Banzai and the Fighting Urukhai.  Ah, for the days when an homage didn't break the seventh seal and summon forth hordes of slavering copyright lawyers. ;)
That kind of stuff has been with table top RPG since the Gygax and company first gave us D&D. 

My brother had an interesting question.  How much does Ready Player One have to pull in just to pay for all the cameos?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 11 April 2018, 13:26:30 »
My brother had an interesting question.  How much does Ready Player One have to pull in just to pay for all the cameos?

Less than you might think.. Warner Bros ultimately owns more than a few of the references in the WB movie...

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #55 on: 11 April 2018, 13:48:02 »

Its the Abbey Distric. Someone in the FWL like vintage music.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #56 on: 11 April 2018, 15:06:47 »
If you conquer both Boardwalk and Park Place...do you get to build hotels?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 11 April 2018, 16:18:57 »
I like the planet Fjernet, after it was pointed out that Fjernet translated to deleted/removed in Norwegian.

Then there's the Tedibyhr system...

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 11 April 2018, 17:16:35 »
I like the Planet Annunziata... literal translation from Italian: annunciation or the announcement by Gabriel to Mary about her having a son, Jesus.

Was annexed from Rim World Republic and is currently owned by the Falcons.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 11 April 2018, 18:37:16 »
BattleTech's non-combat robots (as rare as they are in its fiction) seem to be the Three Laws compliant.