Author Topic: Biggest fall you've had a mech suffer?  (Read 4505 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Biggest fall you've had a mech suffer?
« on: 16 April 2018, 03:22:19 »
What's generally the biggest falls you've seen mechs take?  2 levels worth?  3?  5??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
Re: Biggest fall you've had a mech suffer?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2018, 03:28:32 »
Crab falls 3 levels into a basement.
Stands up...falls 2 more levels into a sub-basement.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2018, 08:13:15 »
The game was a king-of-the-hill style (points for being on top), modified to be a giant tower, with elevators to get up the sides. My Tomahawk gets pushed off the edge, for a 15-level fall, directly onto my waiting Mad Cat II.  xp

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2018, 08:36:13 »
My record is having an opponent miscalculate the movement profile of an OTL-8M resulting in a poorly placed Devastator getting slammed off Large Mountain 2 to fall 6 elevation levels to the ground. Along the way, it collided with a Cavalry on the way down and landed on an Ajax.

Sure, it cost said Ostsol both arms and a pair of engine crits due to point blank fire, but it was worth it.

Needless to say my Fed Suns opponent was irate. I however was ecstatic.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2018, 08:40:02 by Dies Irae »

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2018, 08:39:33 »
Marauder charged a Kodak, knocked it back off level 4 cliff. That Kodak was ripping me up. The tide turned after that.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2018, 08:48:55 »
IN Megamek, 20 levels DFA'd off a building, both units died.

On the Tabe top, a Charge and fall off a level 4 cliff.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2018, 08:51:39 »
2009. Clan grinder held in Gaithersburg, MD. A battered but still-active Thor D run by Redshirt is standing on top of a Lv.5 building with a CF of 150. Hellbie stands in a near-mint Stooping Hawk Prime nearby. Hellbie knows that he can't do enough damage to the building to cause a collapse- which is a bummer. Hellbie DOES have an idea though- if he jumps up on the building as well, another nearby unit will be sure to oblige- and with the Thor in bad shape, and the legendary-tough Hawk being fine, the chances of surviving vs. Redshirts are pretty high. Plus, it's a grinder, doing stupid things is almost required, right?

Hawk hops up on the building, the two Mechs exhange fire doing little beyond armor dings. Sure enough, a nearby Night Gyr put both Gauss rifles into the building, and down we both went (we were playing full building damage vs. per hex).

The Thor lost every square inch of armor it had ever had, took damage to a couple of backup components like an arm actuator and such, and was just fine.

Hellbie rolled a double basement, landed head first, and immediately applied most of the damage to the head, and took a cockpit crit. The last thing to go through his mind after what was basically a seven-level fall was a 55-ton Omnimech. Hilarity was had.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2018, 09:47:42 »
I dimly recall a situation in our gaming group back in the mid-90s, when we tried double-blind tabetop. (And we tried this only one single time.)

As far as i remember, it went something like this:
One side had all their LRM boats (Archers, Crusaders) behind a hill, trying to get shots in by indirect fire.
The other side put a scout 'Mech - a Locust - on top of that hill, without the MP to get back should he actually find something. And find something he did. Something with LRMs. The poor Locust was shot to a smoldering wreck, but it wasn't dead yet. However, for some reason I don't remember (20+ damage, gyro hit, something like that) it had to make a piloting roll that failed. It fell into its front hex, which happened to be an 8 level fall. That killed it good.

I do recall this because to this day I have that image in mind of a crater with a pair of bent, blacked Locust legs jutting out.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2018, 09:53:11 »
Playing Megamek years ago(circa 2002, I think), the way the map-generator worked led to an 8-high cliff as a mountain map bumped up against a plains map. So naturally, I ran my 3025-tech Hussar 12 hexes in a charge attack against someone standing on the edge. It was something fairly chunky by comparison, like a Thunderbolt, but between the charge and the fall I stripped off more than half of its armour in a single attack, without even firing.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2018, 11:27:42 »
I was in a campaign where the GM tried to land a Catapult on top of a level 6 light building.

The mech found the subbasement and got buried.  After we destroyed or routed the other enemy forces, we went back to the building the catapult was in.  I believe my exact words were "you can surrender and we dig you out now, or we can wait until your air starts running out.  Your choice."  He surrendered and we got a Catapult that needed some armor replaced but was otherwise completely intact.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2018, 11:56:11 »
IIRC no more than 3 levels. It was a Caesar vs a clan somethingorother. My opponent gets a CT crit on the very first shot he made with a CERML, blows out the gyro. Caesar falls off the hill & wipes out the head. All without firing a return shot in anger. Worst mech death EVAR!

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2018, 12:01:35 »
In the Battle of Monte Diablo, a Razorback got pushed off the edge of the Tall Mountain, falling ten levels.  It actually survived the impact and was able to limp away while the rest of its team was getting ripped apart up on the plateau.

In terms of most hexes fallen by a single 'Mech in one scenario, when the McCarron's Armored Cavalry book came out, I played a scenario where I lined the near bank of a river with 'Mech pits (Depth 3 concealed pits), so that the other side would take at least one fall no matter where they crossed. 

The enemy leader, a BattleMaster, forded the stream and fell in.  He survived the fall and climbed out, then decided to walk along the river bank to get to a better position.  He fell into five more pits (one after another) before he realized the pattern (missing only one), and swore that I was cheating on the placement, even when I showed him the pre-plotted hex list.  All told, he fell 15 hexes that game, and ultimately remained at the bottom of the last pit, battered and sulking.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2018, 13:56:14 »
The game was a king-of-the-hill style (points for being on top), modified to be a giant tower, with elevators to get up the sides. My Tomahawk gets pushed off the edge, for a 15-level fall, directly onto my waiting Mad Cat II.  xp

Ouch!   15 level fall.  That equated to what, 120 or so damage!

Playing Megamek years ago(circa 2002, I think), the way the map-generator worked led to an 8-high cliff as a mountain map bumped up against a plains map. So naturally, I ran my 3025-tech Hussar 12 hexes in a charge attack against someone standing on the edge. It was something fairly chunky by comparison, like a Thunderbolt, but between the charge and the fall I stripped off more than half of its armour in a single attack, without even firing.

I'd have laughed if You were the one who fell cause you missed the charge..

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2018, 15:14:29 »
I'd have laughed if You were the one who fell cause you missed the charge.

Meh, it's a 3025 Hussar. After you've taken your first dozen damage, the rest is just overkill. :P

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 17 April 2018, 00:35:31 »
True dat..  Hussars are rather paperthin on armor.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 17 April 2018, 03:38:32 »
So I have no massively tall falls, but a story of a massively effective one.

In the opening turns of a battle on a sizable map, before engaging the enemy, a 3025 Hunchback decides to wade through a depth 1 stream.  Alas, it trips on something underwater and falls, which will be a measly 3 points of damage (halved because of falling in water).  This gets dealt to the rear Left Torso, which only has 2 armour.  The one leftover damage causes a critical, which is AC20 ammo.  Boom! An entirely intact medium 'mech gets taken out.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #17 on: 17 April 2018, 03:46:48 »
I once saw a one-legged Griffin IIC DFA a Ti'Tsang off a Level 30 building hex, where it landed directly on the head of the Atlas in the hex below.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #18 on: 17 April 2018, 03:52:41 »
Knocked a Phoenix Hawk off the table once... we calculated it was about a 72 level fall...
The pilot did not survive.... 😢

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2018, 03:57:01 »
Last turn of a game I pushed an assault into the level six trench with a chimera on the solaris ice map. he kicked my leg off and survived the fall. We called it a draw.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2018, 12:34:20 »
Mech fell 12 levels off the skyscraper map, pilot ejected when the fall roll failed. On anothe note i hate Arrow IV homing missiles 😝
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 17 April 2018, 13:41:07 »
I once saw a one-legged Griffin IIC DFA a Ti'Tsang off a Level 30 building hex, where it landed directly on the head of the Atlas in the hex below.

???  How would a griffen get up to that L30 building?? 

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2018, 14:23:23 »
If it's the skyscraper map, there are actually enough tiers for it to happen. Just take some determination.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #23 on: 17 April 2018, 14:59:44 »
One of the infamous stories in my gaming group involves a Talon and the large mountain map.  An element of what was my opponent's force that game was cresting the mountain and coming down via the road on the map.  This Talon failed a PSR and skidded - right off I think was a level 6 or 8 portion of the mountain.  It landed, and the pilot took damage but remained conscious.

The next turn, the Talon attempts to stand, fails, pilot takes damage again and knocks himself out. 

Over the course of the battle, every time the Talon pilot woke up, he promptly fell over and knocked himself out.  Eventually he got up, right as his side began to fall back.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2018, 16:22:17 »
Who was it that worked out the falling damage from orbit and applied it to a Great Turtle?  I seem to recall it would have just barely enough armor and IS to survive, though the word was very loosely applied to its final state.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 17 April 2018, 17:15:12 »
Over the course of the battle, every time the Talon pilot woke up, he promptly fell over and knocked himself out.  Eventually he got up, right as his side began to fall back.

I am surprised he didn't kill himself..

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2018, 19:25:51 »
Playing on Megamek, I gave the bot one of the tripods.  Bot has it on a level 3 hill, using Hidden unit rules, I discovered it when my Spider landed right beside it.  I drop both med lasers as I figure it's dead.

The Colossus shoots at my other units instead so come physical attacks, I decide to push.

dropped it the 3 levels, into depth 2 water damage to the head, breech.

I figured that Spider pilot never had to pay for drinks again.

Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 17 April 2018, 21:38:15 »
Not mine, but was playing a campaign years ago and enemy commander in Atlas on the top of lvl 15 hill, spots a recon lance slipping thru a valley and charged off the hill, and managed to land on a Wasp...  but didn't end well for the commander.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #28 on: 17 April 2018, 23:59:14 »
I am surprised he didn't kill himself..

I think his last successful consciousness roll was on a 10.  He came very close to death.  In almost 30 years of playing BattleTech I've only seen two deaths from 6 pilot hits, both of them in the last couple of years.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #29 on: 18 April 2018, 00:20:08 »
Was playing mm with rage and sjw one time way back in the day, ran up to sjw's stone rhino and basically took it on the chin..then pushed him off a lvl 18 cliff...
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face