Author Topic: Best Mechs for the BV?  (Read 2543 times)

topcat

• Corporal
  • Blake save us from combined yawns... err, arms!
Best Mechs for the BV?
« on: 14 July 2020, 17:15:54 »
The Blood Asp D thread below started me thinking about which mechs are among the best given their BV?  I've got some preferences, but I'm curious to see what others mention first.

StoneRhino

• Captain
Re: Best Mechs for the BV?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2020, 20:34:10 »
Hatamoto-Chi, ignoring all of the problems with this particular question. Its big, it has some reach, and comes with plenty of variants that stick to it's core dual ppc assault role. Against newer designs its going to be limited, but the BV keeps it a solid choice for the armor.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2020, 22:53:11 »
Some of the more well-put-together introtech heavies, like the Grasshopper 5H and 5N. If you need something that can take a beating and stay in the fight, they will do it and they won't charge you the premium for advanced tech.

I was intrigued by the new 8K as well. A few hundred BV more expensive, but it reaches a lot further.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2020, 22:57:12 »
The Wulfen C costs 1334 BV.
By reducing the number of jump jets it carries to 7 and replacing the Stealth armor with standard plate, its BV becomes 1768.

So basically, by jumping 10 and having Stealth capabilities the Wulfen C is 434 BV cheaper than it should be.
It also happens to be a superb striker, skirmisher, and scout hunter, so yeah, that's my vote. Completely breaks the BV system, hard.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2020, 01:06:03 »
The Wulfen C costs 1334 BV.
By reducing the number of jump jets it carries to 7 and replacing the Stealth armor with standard plate, its BV becomes 1768.

So basically, by jumping 10 and having Stealth capabilities the Wulfen C is 434 BV cheaper than it should be.
It also happens to be a superb striker, skirmisher, and scout hunter, so yeah, that's my vote. Completely breaks the BV system, hard.
Holy crap

That's amazing

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2020, 08:32:45 »
That is what happens when you are severely under heat sinked for your stealth armour.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2020, 10:12:46 »
 The 5M Cerberus is surprisingly BV cheap. For context, it is cheaper than a Falconer (Admittingly a bv hog). The Albatross has always been cheap (Which is why it snugly compliments so many forces).
« Last Edit: 15 July 2020, 10:26:25 by Minemech »

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2020, 21:54:03 »
I will note that the Yeoman is a shockingly cost effective platform. You get the LRM firepower of a stock Longbow, with a bv figure little over a stock griffin.  This buys you some breathing space when employing special munitions.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2020, 23:38:48 »
That is what happens when you are severely under heat sinked for your stealth armour.
Yeah, but the BV manages to be *cheaper* with stealth armor than standard armor.  In this case you could play the stealth armored 'Mech as a standard armored 'mech while ignoring the armor, and it'd function exactly the same, but cheaper, with a tad more crit soaking, and all while still possessing a "panic button".

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2020, 23:40:11 »
Meanwhile the poor Adder Prime must pay the full BV cost for its second ER PPC that it can only occasionally fire.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2020, 07:52:31 »
Huh. I knew about the bad calculations for having too many weapons (as noted, poor Adder prime...) but I hadn't noticed the screw-up with JJ and stealth heat. Anyone up for another round of "Let's design BV3.0!"? ^-^

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2020, 16:48:10 »
For good BV you basically want to avoid a lot of the following.

1.  JJ's
2.  MASC or TSM
3.  Overheating of any kind.   (Especially a full Bracket mech with 2 weapon sets)
4.  Under-armored mechs  (Because if it dies fast it was wasted BV)

The cheapest mechs function more like a MBT.

They stay on the ground, move a moderate speed, have just enough firepower to match HS, & can take a hit.

BV2 was surprisingly good in many cases, it was just some small things that were off.

To Hit Mods need to be weighted more,  I want to say it was 10% but should be 15% or something like that?
So you have Pulse being too cheap & Heavy/MRM being too expensive.  Its not a huge difference but its noticeable.

Heat calculations should start overheat at 0 not at 6.
Perfect examples of this are the Spider-7M v/s 8M   &  the Champion-1N  v/s  1N2.
Identical mechs except for the swap to DHS & yet they have the same BV since they overheat by 6.
And I don't know about you but DHS to me makes both those mechs much more functional.

The formula for TC & C3 are both off & need a bit of tweaking IIRC.
Semi-Guided LRMs are too cheap in most cases & should never have been based on AMMO BV

MASC & TSM are both weighted too heavily as are JJs.

Skill boosts/reductions for G/P are also both weighted too heavily.

This seems like a big list but its small amounts & its not the main items like movement mods or armor points.

The biggest issues is when you see several items stacked on the same unit.

As Sabel mentioned, JJs & Stealth Armor add boatloads of heat & if its not an Alpha baby you will know it.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2020, 12:29:27 »
I will note that the Yeoman is a shockingly cost effective platform. You get the LRM firepower of a stock Longbow, with a bv figure little over a stock griffin.  This buys you some breathing space when employing special munitions.

You pay for it though ... "oh man, what's that? a boom box on legs?"  (wait, need to check sarna to make sure I'm making fun of the right mech ... oh yeah that's it.).   Assist in  a battle or look good? tough call.  >:D
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 26 July 2020, 15:08:56 »

BV2 was surprisingly good in many cases, it was just some small things that were off.

It should be good, it was try 4 or five. I remember just how borked the point system was when I got into the game the first time- do you consider a Vapor Eagle to be a fair fight for a Jagermech? Or even in the same league?
« Last Edit: 26 July 2020, 23:03:44 by Greatclub »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #14 on: 26 July 2020, 15:30:33 »
No discussion here. Glam before bang. Always. The yeoman is just a LRM carrier with an identity crisis

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2020, 22:50:18 »
I recall Combat Value & BV 1-2.

So I count 3, I am not sure where 4-5 different attempts comes from.   But maybe I'm forgetting something.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #16 on: 26 July 2020, 22:52:29 »
Yeah, but the BV manages to be *cheaper* with stealth armor than standard armor.  In this case you could play the stealth armored 'Mech as a standard armored 'mech while ignoring the armor, and it'd function exactly the same, but cheaper, with a tad more crit soaking, and all while still possessing a "panic button".
BV assumes you will be using your equipment to the maximum. EG using your jumping defensive to-hit even if you don't jump. So BV assumes stealth armor will be active at all times. With the hit to heat which will lower your BV.