Author Topic: Box Box repeaters in the Dark Age  (Read 1622 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Box Box repeaters in the Dark Age
« on: 07 August 2018, 04:28:33 »
Black box tech was still available and used by intelligence services before and during the Dark Age . I figure a 20KG satellite package could have a black box with a large catch and a computer package to receive and re-transmit a message . Uncle Chande's was aquired by the Republic of The Sphere when his Coalition was aquired by Devlin Stone .  As the tech seems simple enough why would not the Draconis Combine and Federated Commonwealth institute slapping together a network ASAP in 3132 . It should not cost any more than about 4 million a unit . Sadley both unit cost and mass have been omitted from all canon sources though performance characteristics were not . The Yakuza provided some black boxes to the DC forces taking back territory from the Republic in the Dark Age Novels as do the Republic"s use of the same tech also in the Dark Age novels . Has Anyone come across any canon price and mass for nlack boxes ? If so please reply to this post and tell where to reference it .  My above estimates I believe is high and I choose to use them until otherwise informed.

Onion2112

• Sergeant
Re: Box Box repeaters in the Dark Age
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2018, 10:33:39 »
Handbook House Davion lists the weights (and capabilities) of the various Black Box models (up to 3067) on page 182, but it has no costs

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Black Box repeaters in the Dark Age
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2018, 17:17:57 »
You can edit the "Subject" field (like I did above) in the first post to correct the title of the thread...

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2018, 08:56:02 »
Thanks for where to find the mass info .  I am shocked that it has not been brought up for the Dark Age.  House Davion and Kurita should have had a Black box sattalight network incase of Com Star interdict or Word of Blake action interupting the HPG service . Even though clearly Uncle Chande Coalition used such a network the HPG blackout would slow communication for the military a bit but still cripple corporate communications as they would have far fewer long range contingencies than the military and business model revolves around faster communication. It would change the economic model of Solaris VII as the HPG allowed more and faster gambling to happen . It is why my unit could recruit for a mercenary unit there and get people.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2018, 10:20:09 »
i suspect they did have such a network.. and it just wasn't talked about much. after all, the Fedsuns, Lyrans, and Combine all managed to stay fairly unified and effective despite the lack of HPG's (well, in the lyrans case, they were partially effective anyway.. )

Register