Author Topic: 1.25 Hex Hole Punch.  (Read 11526 times)

Hatachi

• Corporal
1.25 Hex Hole Punch.
« on: 20 December 2011, 22:45:25 »
I was curious if any of you would be able to help me track down a tool.  With the release of the new hex maps I've put some work into finding a good use for the old paper maps.  My solution is cutting the maps out by level and gluing them to painted foam board with the levels accurately displayed to give me a 3d hex map.  My biggest issue is cutting "inside" hexes out of the foam board without ruining the board around it.  I was curious if anyone knew of a 1.25 inch hex foam punch that I could use to only cut out the necessary spot and keep the lines nice and straight.  Thanks in advance.

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
Re: 1.25 Hex Hole Punch.
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2011, 03:33:39 »
Make one....it's super easy.

Got a sheet of clear plexi glass, lay it on top of a sheet of printed 1.25" hexes and get a dremel with a drill bit and drill holes.

I did this in about 10 minutes....

Works like a champ

Xmarx.com

• Sergeant
  • the SPOT for Gamers!
    • Xmarx.com
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2011, 06:58:33 »
It's a long shot, but you might look into card making supplies at craft stores.  My wife and daughter have been making their own Christmas cards, they've found different punches that cut out flower patterns and the like.  You may be able to find one that does hexes, not sure.  Good luck!

scatcat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2011, 08:52:33 »
It's a long shot, but you might look into card making supplies at craft stores.  My wife and daughter have been making their own Christmas cards, they've found different punches that cut out flower patterns and the like.  You may be able to find one that does hexes, not sure.  Good luck!

I've looked. Large hexagon punches do not exist. You'll have to custom fabricate one. Closest off the shelf products I've seen are cookie and candle molds, but these products are neither durable nor sharp enough to do the job. I've tried....

Propnut

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2011, 09:10:57 »
Scatcat, I might be able to make one. I will fiddle around the shop today and see what I come up with.

I have some 1/16" steel laying about and a metal bender (flashing type bender) that should do the job. Then just sharpen the bottom edge, or do that before I bend it. Might be a handy tool to have around.

I will let you know if it worked.

David

Slade_Deleportas

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2011, 10:14:25 »
Propnut, I'm just waiting for the day you unveil your full sized mech sim cockpit...  With the talent and tools at your disposal should be easy for you. lol.

scatcat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2011, 10:22:37 »
Scatcat, I might be able to make one. I will fiddle around the shop today and see what I come up with.

I have some 1/16" steel laying about and a metal bender (flashing type bender) that should do the job. Then just sharpen the bottom edge, or do that before I bend it. Might be a handy tool to have around.

I will let you know if it worked.

David

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  O0

Propnut

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2011, 10:31:13 »
I worked on it for a while this morning but unfortunately no matter how sharp I get the cutter, it will not cut down into the foam it just crushes it. So this project is a no-go for me, sorry.

Slade, I have a Simpit for airplane sims and do plan on a mechpit someday. You might check out Chewy's Vulture pit here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3168699/1.html

« Last Edit: 22 December 2011, 10:34:15 by Propnut »

Slade_Deleportas

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2011, 10:48:08 »
I saw the construction methods of that one over at the MekTek forums. Over on MWO we got this one:
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/2573-mech-simpit-elh-wasp1-unseen/

Both are amazing pieces of work. Wish I had the time money and most importantly tools to do one of my own.  lol

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2011, 16:41:01 »

If you have the tools, Make a template/guide out of wood first, then you can use a dremel with a plunge bit (or a hot cutter - pencil type) it to cut out the hexes.

It's very hard to compression-cut extruded styrofoam without crushing it.
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2011, 17:12:50 »
Get one of those cheap hobby knifes with the snap-off blade sections (hopefully that makes sense). Use a template like btp2k2's, and use a whiteboard marker to mark dots onto the styrene. Then get a candle. Drag the knife edge across the candle - this makes the blade slick and less likely to hang up in the styrene.

Plunge the blade down about halfway through an edge where you want to cut, then cut both ways to complete the side. Re-wax the blade frequently. Repeat for the other 5 edges, and with a little care, voila! You've cut your hole. I used this technique to make these.

Did the waterholes that way - then sliced the top 1/4 off the plug, and glued them back in place. Which reminds me, I need to run a Quick-Strike game sometime ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2011, 18:14:15 »

WT, a serrated-edge blade (like a steak knife) works almost better for that; it works with the wax trick and  cuts foam (styro or floral foam anyway) better than a hobby knife,  plus you can make bigger cuts.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Lt Dan

• Corporal
  • 1st ANZAC Corp.
    • Anarchy League Battletech, Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2011, 18:15:16 »
Ive been using a scroll saw to cut foam/rubber for 3D terrain for a while... very good results I think.

I've attached a couple of pics for example.  The terrain isn't finished yet but you can see the edges quite well.

Hope this gives you an idea or two.

Shijima_3085

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 25 December 2011, 22:47:05 »
WT, a serrated-edge blade (like a steak knife) works almost better for that; it works with the wax trick and  cuts foam (styro or floral foam anyway) better than a hobby knife,  plus you can make bigger cuts.

Was just about to suggest that - I've had fairly good results with an old steak knife, and a little fine-grit sandpaper to clean up the edges.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2011, 05:29:11 »
One of these days I'll take six weeks off, and do the Canyons and Moonscape maps - I'll give the steak knife a go then!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hatachi

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 01 January 2012, 23:09:24 »
For you people using steak knives etc.  When you're doing multiple layers in that way how do you keep the edges square?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 02 January 2012, 00:12:38 »
.  I was curious if anyone knew of a 1.25 inch hex foam punch that I could use to only cut out the necessary spot and keep the lines nice and straight.  Thanks in advance.

hmm whats the lenght of a standard razor blade?
if you could build a rig to hold 6 of them in a hex formation you might be able to make the punch work
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Shijima_3085

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 02 January 2012, 20:13:12 »
For you people using steak knives etc.  When you're doing multiple layers in that way how do you keep the edges square?

If you mean, all exactly the same size, thats still something I'm considering.  For now the minor mismatches look alright.  If I make a lot, I'll just rig up a jig to clamp several pieces between while sanding.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2012, 22:00:34 »

Clean up the edges with a small hobby knife or a hobby saw.  Or just go with the rough mismatches.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Register