Author Topic: C3-related question  (Read 6168 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: C3-related question
« Reply #30 on: 30 December 2011, 05:11:21 »
Yeah, there's so many decent C3+ECM mechs, or good fast units you can use as interdictors (3058 pegasus - mainstay of my DCMS armour support for 15 years and counting!), that boosted C3 is overkill on the BV front.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #31 on: 30 December 2011, 05:14:12 »
Depends on whether or not you can make the tonnage of an extra long-range weapon or two worth the same weight as the additional accuracy provided by C3B.  Way more to it than simple comparison--range, weapon selection, target to-hit numbers used as stock values, 2d6 statistics, everything would have to be taken into account.  Man, being an armchair general is hard! #P

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 30 December 2011, 05:20:32 »
Way more to it than simple comparison--range, weapon selection, target to-hit numbers used as stock values, 2d6 statistics, everything would have to be taken into account.  Man, being an armchair general is hard! #P

Reminds me of the quote from Shooter about the spin of the Earth effecting his shot...

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #33 on: 30 December 2011, 05:25:08 »
Believe me, I love standard tactics just as much as the next player.  Even better when you can turn out an advantage with inferior equipment!

Which is why trying to balance scenarios with numerical systems is kind of silly.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #34 on: 30 December 2011, 05:25:39 »
Depends on whether or not you can make the tonnage of an extra long-range weapon or two worth the same weight as the additional accuracy provided by C3B.  Way more to it than simple comparison--range, weapon selection, target to-hit numbers used as stock values, 2d6 statistics, everything would have to be taken into account.  Man, being an armchair general is hard! #P

It's less the design issues, and more the BV balancing.  Boosted C3 drives a lance's cost up considerably higher than regular C3/C3i (add 10% of the Pre-C3 lance BV to each unit instead of 5%, IIRC)- so if your enemy doesn't bring ECM, you've wasted a lot of points on something you could have gotten for a lot less with regular C3+ECM
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 30 December 2011, 07:02:02 »
What LN said.

Register