Author Topic: Creating a "modern" military force.  (Read 7739 times)

Auman

• Warrant Officer
Creating a "modern" military force.
« on: 04 January 2012, 21:41:40 »
I don't know if there's a thread on this already... But glancing at the vast ranges of 1/285th miniatures out there, especially when it comes to moderns, how would you go about creating a force of MBTs, IFVs and the like for Battletech? I've played my hand at it by making an MBT a one hit wonder with an AC/10. But with rules out there for primitive armor and rifled guns, I'm sure there's more I could do. Have any of you guys statted out things like M1 Abrams for the Battletech universe and if so, how did you go about it?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Creating a "modern" military force.
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2012, 21:56:00 »
I don't know if there's a thread on this already... But glancing at the vast ranges of 1/285th miniatures out there, especially when it comes to moderns, how would you go about creating a force of MBTs, IFVs and the like for Battletech? I've played my hand at it by making an MBT a one hit wonder with an AC/10. But with rules out there for primitive armor and rifled guns, I'm sure there's more I could do. Have any of you guys statted out things like M1 Abrams for the Battletech universe and if so, how did you go about it?

I did a reprise of the Bradley once, but with modern equipment - a LAC/2, Thunderbolt-5 and a machine gun.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2012, 22:23:25 »
I figure that's pretty reasonable, but there's a lot of fantastic opinions on this forum... Enough that I figure it'd be good to check this out. I remember reading a few things that eluded to the diameter of autocannons. I think an AC/5 was compared to a 90mm cannon. If anyone could help me figure this out, it'd help. I got a bunch of GHQ micro armor the way that needs to be adapted for a meat grinder on a phantom world.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2012, 22:32:42 »
The rules for Age of War/Primitive weapons should be around somewhere.... 

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2012, 23:32:09 »
The rules for Age of War/Primitive weapons should be around somewhere....

That's helpful.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2012, 23:59:51 »
A "modern" tank will have BAR 3-6 armour and a Light Rifle Cannon at best. According to what Cray has said in the past, one hit with a Small Laser will leave an Abrams in a sore and sorry state, and more than that is going to reduce it to slag, so three or four points of armour per facing.

Age of War tanks are target practice for even Introductory Technology 'Mechs and vehicles. Stuff from today would be a joke against anything but conventional infantry.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2012, 00:10:07 »
your best bet is simply use micro armor as stand ins for Btech stuff

M1s can be Vedettes or Po's or whatever

I once made a group almost crap when I dropped my 50 M60A2 models on the field, thats a LOT of Vedettes
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2012, 01:07:50 »

I once made a group almost crap when I dropped my 50 M60A2 models on the field, thats a LOT of Vedettes

My plan was more or less to make the vehicles stand-ins for custom designs with a similar tech base. The help I was asking for was pretty much to figure out what the main cannon could be. I'm familiar with primitive armor and rifled guns, but since it will be my friends using these machines against Battlemechs and everything else the game has to throw at them, I'd really like to make them not die so easily... But I'd like them to die easily enough that hordes of them, like what you fielded, could be put down on the table and still have it so they could possibly win.

So I guess the question... Once again, is what can I put in these lightly armored, over gunned, death traps that can make up for their lack of actual physical protection and speed? Does anyone on the forum have any experience using said death traps? And beyond one line posts and border-line scorn, what do you guys have to offer this endeavor?

Tl;dr I want to make bad tanks, but I don't want them to be too bad.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2012, 02:00:48 »
The problem is that modern weapons have literally no real way of damaging modern Battletech armor. 200mm+ artillery weapons would count as Heavy Rifles on a good day and do the same damage as a medium laser.  :(

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2012, 07:51:31 »
After talking it out with a friend on IRC, I've figured out how to state what I mean. I'm trying to make a cheap throw away tank in terms of battle value and c-bills that is analagous to todays MBTs. Something in the thirty ton range that utilizes a sing autocannon as its main gun... I want to make it so that it is capable of winning objective based games using numbers as its main advantage. At this point I have figured out how to do it... The problem now lies in making the opposing forces different from each other while maintaining general themes. So, how do I take a.lightly armored, well armed tank and make it different from something that is almost exactly the same... What are neat sensor, probes, etc that I can throw on these things and if you have them, table top experience in Battletech armor tactics?

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2012, 08:10:28 »
BT basically has them already; the Vedette, and its lesser cousin the Scorpion.

Advanced electronics are a bit much on a supposedly disposable tank, IMO; maybe grenade or chaff launchers from Tactical Operations, but full-on Probes and what-not are expensive and still tend to be used on dedicated EW or recon platforms.

If you really wanted something to differentiate your tank from what's already out there, I'd suggest building it with the Support Vehicle rules or giving it a Fuel Cell Engine.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2012, 09:40:55 »

That is always a fun thing to do.   Tossing a couple battalions of tanks onto a board is always a blast.   That and watching left over miniatures from a panzer division and some remnants of a cold war era soviet armored battalion lined up in formations across from some mechs is always an interesting sight that causes passers by at the gaming shop to scratch their heads.    Only really in B-Tech.   No WYSIWYG.

That and I have yet to find a B-Tech VTOL miniature that is half as intimidating in it's profile as a fully painted Hind.

Hurray for cross using miniatures between game systems.   North Africa one week, Southern Germany the next, Luthien or some distant alien world no one cares about the week after!
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2012, 09:53:30 »
Getting stats for my Hinds would be the next project... Using a record sheet for the Vedette seems like a dishonor to the Vedette. A Vedette is a Vedette and it shall remain so and I shall stop being lazy and actually use my tech manual.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2012, 10:43:37 »
hinds depending on load out.  Ac2, or Light AC2, srm 4 packs, or lrm 5.  dont forget the 1 ton infantry bay.  Also dont forget hinds as far as air craft go are tough, and wont be brought down by small arms.  Wire guided sager missiles in BT? good luck
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2012, 23:27:59 »
Have any of you guys statted out things like M1 Abrams for the Battletech universe and if so, how did you go about it?
Yes.

The problem is that FASAfizziks has little similarities to Real World physics.

A rifle platoon firing at a Battlemech could eventually sand away its armor because BT armor is ablative. I ask you, how long would it take a platoon of men with AK47s to wear through the armor of the M1 MBT?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2012, 23:49:44 »
Yes.

A rifle platoon firing at a Battlemech could eventually sand away its armor because BT armor is ablative. I ask you, how long would it take a platoon of men with AK47s to wear through the armor of the M1 MBT?

3 weeks, and they wouldnt penetrate it would just break the M1 due to the mountain of lead its buried under
« Last Edit: 06 January 2012, 00:42:14 by Dave Talley »
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

krazzyharry

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2012, 00:29:36 »
I have a couple of GHQs Kiowa Warrior helos to use as Ferrets, M-ATVs for mechanized (wheeled) infantry, and I plan to order a pack of USMC Assault Breach Vehicles to represent the Engineer Vehicle.  I think I an going to use Bradleys for mechanized (tracked) infantry.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2012, 04:01:26 »
Yes.

Well, a major problem I seem to see with alot of people wanting a direct allegory to the machines we know today.   Which seems to mean to them a complete direct translation.   Suddenly, we get saddled with low end rifles and junk everywhere.

There isn't anything wrong though with trying to make something with equipment that is 'modern' in a game sense though.   I am sure the universe won't break with a speed 4/6 (ICE) or 5/8 (Fuel Cell to represent the annoyingly fuel guzzling turbine engine) 65 ton MBT with a high end, heavy damaging ballistic weapon (the Gauss Rifle or a sub-variant of the AC/10 family of weapons), 2 modern MGs, and a targeting computer wrapped in some form of advanced armor (probably a flavor of Ferro or Reactive).  Toss on a few smoke grenades and a pintle mount for some AP scaled weapon or some communications equipment for fun and profit.   You have at this a point... a battletech MBT that can easily stand in for any M1/3rd generation MBT you would want to put on the field.   Is it a direct stat to stat version of the M1A1?  No.   But it is one that you can put into play against any 'modern' B-Tech force, do well, and have fun driving it (which is the point honestly).

Sure, a Pz-IV (a personal favorite vehicle) would be a joke if trying to do the direct translations of technologies but then again, a 25 ton tank we all know well (the Scorpion) is pretty much a B-Tech analogue to one for those who try to reverse engineer one to fit in the modern sense.   After all, standard armor, speed 4/6, a single mid caliber/mid ranged ballistic weapon (A member of the AC/5 family of weapons works great), and a sparse amount of MGs to have some fun.   Redo some of the armor layouts, use some creative math (Fractional math is wonderful), squeeze on a second MG and you got any Pz-IVF2 or later 'light' tank you might want to field.  Use the chassis to make two dozen modified versions, enjoy the end flavored results when you toss a battalion of minis on the board for some good, clean tank driving fun as a GM needing a fodder unit for players to smash up against in a campaign.

It is really just having fun being creative with the equipment in the game to get a 'modern' stat block that you can use the rather large micro-armor collections that some of us have laying around.  Sure, your 'modern' Hummel won't be an exact Hummel but after a few dozen Sniper rounds, you won't care.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2012, 04:12:57 »
I'm pretty sure my wife bought me the MRAP combat command... Never thought of using them as mechanized infantry. I was just going to try and stat the things up and put squads of infantry in them. I am... Most pleased by this idea.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2012, 15:54:04 »
It really depends on how you want to due it. Do you want a these vehicles to be red-ably useable in game? Or some accurst in universe? Or perhaps something else altogether?

Some what useable in game would give you the most room to play with and allows one to build them as one feels like. AC-5s though would makes a good choice (a Heavy rifle could also work well enough for a more obsolete flavor and still be useable).

A more in universe look would be more restrictive and a bit harder to stat. In any case a Modern MBT would be between 40 and 65 tons and have a movement ability of around 3/5 or 4/6 (Most MBTs are restricted in their top speed for practical & safety reasons, but theirs "sprinting" rules that allow for faster speeds...), armor is going to be low bar, just how much of it and what BAR rating is up to the players but anything above 5 is likely pushing it. Weapons are for the most part going to be Rifles, the tricky thing is what kind, many favor the Light Rifle as modern tank guns, some favor the heavier ones... This will be up to the players of the group to decide on. (Thing to note, if a heavy is what modern MBTs use, it's odd that a ~10Mj impactor deals 6 damage but a 200+ megajoule impactor deals 15... (gauss rifle), or even an equivalent caliber AC-5 (as their are in the fluff 105 to 120mm AC-5s) doing less damage while firing more rounds per shot, even though the AC replaced the old Rifles...)

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 07 January 2012, 06:06:14 »
A key question to the OP: Do you want this to be an interpretive representation of the way modern militaries actually fight within the game architecture of Battletech, or do you want this to be as close to a literal translation as possible so as to it current era RL vehicles up against Battletech ones?

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 07 January 2012, 13:14:43 »
The idea is to build a light tank with a main cannon, two machine guns and an internal combustion engine. That is the intention and it has been done. This threadis more about the technical nuts and bolts of achieving that now... My mind has been boggled by the replies I have received.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 07 January 2012, 21:01:53 »
Ah, ok. I asked because I've been working on the other approach for some time. So far, I haven't found a way to fit enough lethality and survivability on the same chassis to mimic capabilities of modern vehicles within the Battletech universe.

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 07 January 2012, 23:11:32 »
Yeah, me neither... But I never really went into this wanting something that compared to other vehicles, but rather vehicles of the same type. The faction I'm working on has now only realized the immensity of the threats facing them externally. What was more than awesome for a modest 21st century tech base is now seriously outclassed as my fair heroes seek to find a way to defend themselves effectively from the expansion of powers into the deep periphery. They need to level the technological playing field and they're going to do it by acquiring war materiel by any means and developing their industry to produce facsimilies. Nueva Castille did it, these guys will do it in a way that is in step with their sinister and secretive society... Complete with shadowy covert death squads and everything!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #24 on: 11 January 2012, 17:02:47 »
After talking it out with a friend on IRC, I've figured out how to state what I mean. I'm trying to make a cheap throw away tank in terms of battle value and c-bills that is analagous to todays MBTs. Something in the thirty ton range that utilizes a sing autocannon as its main gun... I want to make it so that it is capable of winning objective based games using numbers as its main advantage. At this point I have figured out how to do it... The problem now lies in making the opposing forces different from each other while maintaining general themes. So, how do I take a.lightly armored, well armed tank and make it different from something that is almost exactly the same... What are neat sensor, probes, etc that I can throw on these things and if you have them, table top experience in Battletech armor tactics?

Anti-missile systems.

I have seen little to no tanks with AMS on them. This would protect against things like missile swarms and the BFM Thunderbolt LRMs.

Yeah, me neither... But I never really went into this wanting something that compared to other vehicles, but rather vehicles of the same type. The faction I'm working on has now only realized the immensity of the threats facing them externally. What was more than awesome for a modest 21st century tech base is now seriously outclassed as my fair heroes seek to find a way to defend themselves effectively from the expansion of powers into the deep periphery. They need to level the technological playing field and they're going to do it by acquiring war materiel by any means and developing their industry to produce facsimilies. Nueva Castille did it, these guys will do it in a way that is in step with their sinister and secretive society... Complete with shadowy covert death squads and everything!

Sounds to me more like a covert ops set-up, at first. That's mostly infantry. You could go the Total Warfare Mechanized infantry route.

I take it you want to stick directly with Total Warfare and the written rules, optional or otherwise. Take the following only as a suggested option. If they're as far behind as you say, it's still possible that their technologically par units will still be small in number when you first start, and you'll still have scads of technologically inferior machines that could be called upon in a pinch.

My friends and I have started to play invasion campaigns, and we've concluded this is true for a lot of human worlds in the Inner Sphere. (The periphery is a different matter.) So, for each different world we're running an invasion on, we decided to come up with a couple cheep lines of militia tanks and vehicles for that world alone.

Last night we were doing a Taurian Invasion of a FedSuns border world. The Bulls were backed by a Liao Warrior house, and I decided to come up with a really big, yet really fragile tank of the line.

It was 100 tons with a 3/5 movement profile. It's single big gun was a Light Gauss rifle. I also gave it a pair of MGs and a single AMS. (This is styled of the Heavy Gear Northern Heavy tank, which I have five fleet scale minis of, and I wanted to use it.) The rest was armor.

Without any modifications, the thing is a monster with hundreds of points of armor under the BMR construction system, which didn't put a limit on Vee location armor limits. (That's where HMVee is at anyway, so I stick with it.)

Time to give it a glass jaw. I'm not fond of BAR. I much prefer the damage threshold system from AeroTech (or the BattleTech: AeroSpace). I simply declared that it was operating with that damage system, with the reduced DT from damage optional rule found in AT2, and it uses the BMR vehicle critical hit table. (IE, you roll for a crit chance like you would for a Mech, each crit rolls a d6 compaired to a rather lethal chart. 4, 5, and 6 see the tank or crew dead in one spectacular fashon or another.)

These were perfect for the scenerio, because my friend running the Warrior house said he was deploying a lance of Ravens with tag and homing Arrow IV to open up a hole against these disposable tanks. We deployed 4 tanks in predetermined positions, backed by a modern Manticore tank using slightly modified TW Tank rules, and went to town.

Each of the throw away tanks had 190 points of front armor, so that meant that you needed a solid 20 point punch to invoke a critical hit check. A perfect match for the artillery. They blew up quite nicely, especially when taking 2+ Artillery Homing Missiles a turn. There were other weaknesses. The turret and side armors were only 10 or 20 points away from being vulnerable to heavy PPC, Laser, or AC fire. And the rear only had 90 points of armor, giving it a Threshold of 9.

No real modification to armor points or internal structure points was necessary as far as we were concerned. The idea of the mods is that the cheaper it is, the more flaws it has.

These were meant to be sustained by a single planet's economy and technology base. They're numerous, but slow and easily out maneuvered. A single one will eventually lose its protection and shots will start busting through long before the armor is near 0 points.

That was the opening engagement that led to a more conventional battle between regular BT tanks and Mechs, as the invaders try to break through the line to start the invasion proper.

Even the Liao player came up with a cheep artillery platform using the same rules. It has no turret, and only 50 armor points per side. With a DT of 5, it is vulnerable to a lot of penetrating hits.

Sometimes, even an interpretive sample just isn't enough, and you might want to take it a step further. When it comes down to it, in your house, at your table, it's your game. You will have to decide for your self. But, that doesn't mean you can't have fun with it.

« Last Edit: 11 January 2012, 17:39:24 by Daemion »
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Stolenbjorn

• Corporal
  • Knight of the Internet
« Reply #25 on: 11 January 2012, 17:23:34 »
I did this when I made a merc-unit and was fresh out of the Norwegian army. I made the Leopard I-analog, I made it look similar, minimal armor, ac10, 40tons, and as I was playing RPG, I let the mg's be roleplay-grade mg's only capable of inf-damage. Speed 5/6
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/2_norwegian_Leopard_tanks_in_the_snow.jpg

Then I went for the CV9030, I let it be a 35t vehicle, added a laser, I think, and 1inf-roleplay-mg, deacent armor, and the speed of 6/9
http://data.primeportal.net/apc/vik/cv9030/th12.jpg

It's very fun, and nice, until you realize the damage rolling for vehicles, and realizes that in order to have an efficiant anti-vehicle-thingie, you need loads of peashooters, peppering driving axels, engine radiators and turret joints  :-\

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 11 January 2012, 22:15:50 »
  It is all nice until you realize that a "modern" vehicle does more damage to a Battlemech by ramming instead of using its main gun.

I have played wargames since the 1970s I have seen all manners of rules and the Threshold rules from Aerotech are probably the closest to real world armor you'd find.
  When a Sherman fired its 75mm main gun at a Panther's glacis plate (front armor) the round would most likely bounce off without leaving a scratch. Armor penetration is often a pass/fail proposition but some armors are damaged by hits that do not penetrate and are therefore weakened.
  When designing armor standards for my group's BT3K (BattleTroops 3000) houserules I looked at Thresholds for armor and BattleMechs, 20% and 30% respectively, and they worked fairly well. In gameplay we also had to tone down the strength of infantry arms but heavy and crew-served weapons worked just fine and are always a threat.

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 11 January 2012, 23:56:17 »
Having read the entire thread I can tell that you have not, Mr. Zaman. Otherwise you would know that I was going for advice on ways of making a tank analagous to a modern tank. A throw away design with light armor, main gun and a pair of machine guns. Anyhow... The in-universe explanation for the heavy use of these vehicles, heavily upgraded for overseas(space?) usage is primarily due to a lack of industrial infrastructure combined with a need for direct action. The faction has a few battlemechs which cannot be replaced and so are reserved for very important actions. The hostility toward designing a "modern" tank, see: analog, is pretty hilarious.

Stolenbjorn

• Corporal
  • Knight of the Internet
« Reply #28 on: 12 January 2012, 04:33:29 »
Possibly a littlebit of a derail, but if you want good anti-mech-tanks from our world, I'd go for the MBT's, putting the biggest gun possibly on it.

For LRM-vehicles, I'd pick the stalin-organ-trucks, the MRLS and similar vehicles; perhaps the german automatic minelayers as well.

For good anti-tank-vehicles, I'd pick vehicles that looks as if they pack a load of weapons, perhaps the Ontos http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/34/Ontos.jpg/300px-Ontos.jpg

Depending on tech available, it could pack anything from 6+ ER-L-Lasers, 6x LB-X-AC/10's, 6 x ER-PPC, etc

Some missile-vehicles can allso be cool to put into BT: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7008/brdm2wbm1416afg02.jpg

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2012, 16:30:36 »
It's a little late, but this might be useful.

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #30 on: 12 January 2012, 17:19:03 »
Possibly a littlebit of a derail, but if you want good anti-mech-tanks from our world, I'd go for the MBT's, putting the biggest gun possibly on it.

For LRM-vehicles, I'd pick the stalin-organ-trucks, the MRLS and similar vehicles; perhaps the german automatic minelayers as well.

For good anti-tank-vehicles, I'd pick vehicles that looks as if they pack a load of weapons, perhaps the Ontos http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/34/Ontos.jpg/300px-Ontos.jpg

Depending on tech available, it could pack anything from 6+ ER-L-Lasers, 6x LB-X-AC/10's, 6 x ER-PPC, etc

Some missile-vehicles can allso be cool to put into BT: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7008/brdm2wbm1416afg02.jpg

Yeah, I've actually ordered some MLRS to act as LRM carriers... As for the Ontos, just in terms of scale in comparison to the other figures it would be on the table with, would be too small to pack around AC/10s. A clust of four AC/2s would be decent though. That would actually make the Ontos an absurdly long range, lightly armored combatant that could deal okay damage for less than a hundred BV (maybe).

Fireangel, that looks like a helpful article and I'll make a point of reading it.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 13 January 2012, 06:12:40 »
I'm still dangling the idea of IFVs with RAC2s. The Bolla seems to have stolen some of my thunder, but I think it's a good weapon to replicate the effects of the 25mm chain gun and .50 cal on todays IFVs. What I'm still trying to figure out are the MBTs. ACs have too short a range, and I'm having trouble getting iHGR concepts to fit together.

It could be because I'm so desperate to shoehorn in the armored motive system.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #32 on: 13 January 2012, 10:10:23 »
I'm still dangling the idea of IFVs with RAC2s. The Bolla seems to have stolen some of my thunder, but I think it's a good weapon to replicate the effects of the 25mm chain gun and .50 cal on todays IFVs. What I'm still trying to figure out are the MBTs. ACs have too short a range, and I'm having trouble getting iHGR concepts to fit together.

It could be because I'm so desperate to shoehorn in the armored motive system.

The Armored Motive System is definitely fun.   

iHGR and HGR are kinda only going to be for tanker hunter style vehicles due to the rules stating that they need to be hull mounted.   

That leaves the GR and LGR as the only real ballistic MBT main guns unless you really enjoy AC/10s (for that NATO flavored special munitions), Ultra AC/10s (if you like soviet style jam happy rapid fire fun), LB-10X (I heard you like canister shot), or RAC/5s (because the Ultra just wasn't jamming nearly enough for your tastes).    Any bigger and it might as well not even be acknowledged as viable in an MBT role, anything smaller and it is just not hitting hard enough.  The fact that most MBTs fall into what is considered a medium weight class in B-Tech does kind of weigh heavily on what can be put on the chassis (40 to 60 tons seems to be the across the board weight with a few high end scales touching into the heavy bracket at nearly 70).

The lack of a good, hard hitting ATGM really makes for keeping the game fun... but boy do we love our Itano Circus/Macross Missile Massacre (MMM) launchers (SRMs, LRMs, MRMs, MMLs, ect).   Sadly, a rolling Itano Circus tank doesn't capture the feel of an MBT (even if it is really effective!).  Only the T-Bolt launchers really come close to a single hard hitting missile if trying to get an ingame analogue to an ATGM...   but they are somewhat lack luster compared to the MMM launchers themselves.  Win some, lose some.

The MGs and LMGs work wonders as in game analogues tbh.  They fill the intended role splendidly.   I would stick with the LAC/2 and use the older optional rules for rapid firing standard ACs make good stand ins for the autocannons that IVFs carry... only because the LAC/2 and LAC/5 are light enough to actually keep an IFV to about a historical weight bracket (the joy of trying to stick to between 15 tons to 30 tons and still be semi-useful).

The various basic armors in the game work great for getting an analogue between the various armor grades out there.   Feel that the 2nd Generation Chobham of the Challenger II is great?   Hvy Ferro.   General 3rd Generation Armor?   Ferro.   Reactive Armor?   Should be obvious.  Older 2nd Generation MBT Armor?  Standard.   Am I saying that this is what we have today compared to 1000 years from now?   No.    But it is a great analogue without having to go beat one's head into a desk with trying to use half baked primitive rules in a game where someone is throwing 4 cERPPCs around a turn from a single vehicle.

Engines?   Due to the general venomous hatred that sometimes seems to pour forth from people over the idea that vehicles might actually get a fusion engine alotted to them...   ICEs work great as your standard diesel engine with Fuel Cells being great stand ins for turbine or light weight diesels.

Need to replicate the ability of most 3rd Gen MBTs being able to fire on the move?   Targeting computer tied to the main gun.   Simple as that.   Yeah, it is 4 tons of valuable weight to get a GR or some of the AC/10 class guns hooked up but it does a wonderful analogue.

I don't need to mention CASE do I?

Sorry if this is not what you wanted or desired or have already been said...

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 13 January 2012, 23:47:27 »
Exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize that the iHGR and HGR couldn't be turret mounted. That's frustrating. Leaves the GR really. Nothing else has the punch to be anything approaching a main gun at long range. The LGR doesn't deal enough damage and the energy weapons are all either too low damage or shorter range (ERPPC and HPPC respectively).

I was basically looking for a headcapping weapon as the main gun, anything less and it doesn't really look like a main gun to my eyes. Hm. Gauss Rifle, RAC2, and a few LMGs. Then it's the electronics. Guardian, C3S, TC, and Tag maybe.

I'm gonna have to run that and try to see if it all fits. I may have to drop to the LAC2.

For the ATGM, you could go with the ArrowIV, but that's an enormous weight (basically puts the vehicle over 45 tons at a minimum).

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 14 January 2012, 00:26:20 »
If you're going to make a 30 ton tank with a main gun approaching or exceeding the AC/10s weight, I automatically assumed the C3 computers were a given. Having built a tank to those specifications, I realized that the armor is not exactly enough to inspire confidence. The C3s, if utilized properly, should allow these tanks to stand back as far as possible and gun down their opponents. Looking at the numbers, the damage potential of these tanks is pretty damn impressive. According to Heavy Metal Vee, the tanks I made have a battle value of about 200. That's roughly 5 : 1 against a Vulture, when factoring in the BV.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #35 on: 14 January 2012, 03:28:49 »

For the ATGM, you could go with the ArrowIV, but that's an enormous weight (basically puts the vehicle over 45 tons at a minimum).

Arrow IV is more of an analogue to the heavy artillery missiles of the M270 MLRS or the BM-27 Uragan MRS than it would be to a TOW series ATGM or the AT-14 Spriggan.   The weight of the launcher is actually more prone to producing the earlier said vehicles than it is to give lighter vehicles a heavy punch.  The advent of semi-guided LRMs and T-Bolt launchers have gone far really to improve the capabilities of these when dealing with this problem.   Streaks have also been a good stand in on and off over the years, even if they are more than a bit short ranged.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 14 January 2012, 05:54:28 »
I admit that the Thunderbolt may fit the bill (although weight will still be an issue if we're looking at something bigger than a 5). A Thunderbolt10, RAC (or LAC depending on weight considerations)2, and a machine gun or two? Then the armored motive system and a similar electronics package.

Now that I think about it, maybe putting the TAG on a FIST specific vehicle a la the Stryker make-up identified up-thread.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #37 on: 14 January 2012, 09:56:36 »
I admit that the Thunderbolt may fit the bill (although weight will still be an issue if we're looking at something bigger than a 5). A Thunderbolt10, RAC (or LAC depending on weight considerations)2, and a machine gun or two? Then the armored motive system and a similar electronics package.

Now that I think about it, maybe putting the TAG on a FIST specific vehicle a la the Stryker make-up identified up-thread.

With 20 to 30 tons to work with and only the need to bring on average 8 infantry men up (1 ton), you can probably squeeze what you want into the chassis with little problem.  Might need a bit of massaging of the numbers, an acceptance that it won't be a wonder weapon, and a few design compromises that will no doubt be painful and viewed as less optimal but I am sure you can manage it.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 14 January 2012, 14:42:37 »
I'm still having difficulty as to figuring out what your really wanting.

If I get what your saying your planing a situation where a low tech world meets high tech forces but manages to survive and is now scrambling to get higher tech gear to face round two?

So high firepower and "accuracy" but little armor and likely mobility (as your not going to have much of either on the weights your wanting, with the equipment you want, and that 3/5 is about what most real life AFVs get anyway). And forgoing the fact that real life MBTs have pop guns compared to an AC-2, and are using more of a role equivalent B-tech weapon?

So AC-10s, Gauss Rifles, Large Lasers & PPCs...

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #39 on: 14 January 2012, 15:17:35 »

If I get what your saying your planing a situation where a low tech world meets high tech forces but manages to survive and is now scrambling to get higher tech gear to face round two?

So high firepower and "accuracy" but little armor and likely mobility (as your not going to have much of either on the weights your wanting, with the equipment you want, and that 3/5 is about what most real life AFVs get anyway). And forgoing the fact that real life MBTs have pop guns compared to an AC-2, and are using more of a role equivalent B-tech weapon?

3/5 and 4/6 isn't actually too bad honestly if planned from the start to be used in conjunction with conventional infantry, both foot, motorized, and mechanized.  5/8 starts to get the point where it is outrunning the very troops they are supposed to be working with.   In that regard, with that intended speed, that does free up quite a good deal to work with in terms of hefting heavy equipment (or at least enough to squeeze something nice on).

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 14 January 2012, 19:06:46 »
If you're wanting a little variety between your MBT style tanks, you might want to consider some of the following optional equipment:

Superchargers (great for tanks you want to break before you ever see the enemy!)
Vehicular Grenade Launchers (one shot smoke is handy for general use, and frag or incendiary rounds can make even the toughest foot soldier cringe)
One Shot missiles (not only do you get missiles to simulate TOW systems, but you can load special ammo to boot!)
Remote Sensor Dispensers (for tanks with a double duty in recon)
Active Probes (Recon duty again, plus it allows you to monitor those Remote Sensors)
A- and B-Pods can simulate some Claymore style antipersonnel defenses (don't know if anyone still uses those as a standard feature, but I've heard of crews adding them for urban combat)
Mine Dispensers (not exactly MBT gear, but something useful any way)
Minesweepers (Since these things take 30 points of damage from mines for you, they could be quite helpful)
The Limited Amphibious chassis modification (being able to cross small rivers and lakes could be a very useful suprise)

All of this is from Tac Ops, and is rather light weight and compact to be added as extra features rather than changing the role of the vehicle. It all seems to fit the concept of the MBT, or simulates existing equipment at the Battletech scale with a little judicious renaming. Feel free to ignore anything that seems to stupid, but it might give you some things to work with.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Auman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 14 January 2012, 21:38:41 »

The factions involved, at the start, will be a gaggle of deep periphery powers of fairly considerable demographic strength with an industrial base roughly comparable to that of 21st century Earth in terms of scale. The types of weapons available at the very beginning will be ACs, standard lasers, LRMs, SRMs, conventional infantry with rifles, machine guns and rocket launchers, conventional fighters, VTOLs and a pack of old battlemechs... As the campaign progresses, my faction will accumulate more modern mechs and weapons technologies that will be hoarded and used sparingly.

So, to make up for that, the armed forces will be spamming not so great conventional units and using advanced technologies in pivotal battles that require them. I guess the best way to explain what I'm going for in terms of a "feel" would be the newest Transformers movies. Conventional infantry, tanks and fighters taking on hyper advanced robots in desperate battles through out their homeworld. Eventually, when need calls for it, our intrepid heroes will take their lone jump ship on a clandestine planet hopping campaign to raid planets that pose a threat to their existence.

My gaming group will be playing as these low tech gentlemen, within the context of a greater campaign set during the Jihad, starting around 3067. My group will be coordinating with people from across the North American continent and since we're joining in a bit late, the choice was made to take a low tech and more or less strategically insignificant path to start with, so as to not disturb what the rest of the guys are doing too much. So, as to not wreck the other guys stories and plots by jumping in as big tough badass sumbitches, we're intentionally hobbling ourselves and working our way up the tech ladder to a point where we become significant players in a freeform story campaign.

So, this is why we're looking to make some total crap units. But not so crappy as to not enjoy ourselves and be wiped out too quickly. Quantity has a quality all its own and all that stuff.

Register