Author Topic: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise  (Read 207027 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise
« Reply #870 on: 21 June 2019, 09:33:24 »
Checking the dreadnought auctions, I don't see an option for overnight shipping... curses.

"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #871 on: 21 June 2019, 10:43:23 »
That's because it's an oversize package

Look for the "Philadelphia Experiment" option

They may not have it in your area though. I hear it's quite limited availability...

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #872 on: 21 June 2019, 10:58:10 »
I wonder if you could get a job with Amazon's delivery service if you had a dreadnought? You could do express deliveries to addresses within a 20ish mile radius of the warehouse.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #873 on: 21 June 2019, 17:06:05 »
I think the accerlation of the package thru the gun would turn your product into junk even more than the delivery person who don't care about your package.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #874 on: 22 June 2019, 07:38:09 »
HMS Dragon on the prowl.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #875 on: 22 June 2019, 13:26:51 »
Lovely ship. And you can see the dragons painted in each side of the bow. Fitting.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #876 on: 26 June 2019, 13:10:56 »
MASSIVE CGI of a Nelson-class battleship. Big link here: http://i.imgur.com/OUEjFen.jpg

How (in)accurate is it?

I just love the armoured conning tower design for pure badass looks.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #877 on: 26 June 2019, 15:56:47 »
  At a first glance, it is a good representation of the ship in 1942-1943. It has a Pom Pom in the "B" Turret and it lacks the host of Bofors/Oerlikons in the deck.

However, I am not sure if the last turret has the correct AAA layout. It should have 3 oerlikons in 3 tubs and I only see 2 (I am not 100% sure if it is only 2 or 3 tubs). That's The only thing I don't see accurate.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #878 on: 26 June 2019, 16:40:14 »
Totally accurate or not, it's a beautiful piece of work
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #879 on: 29 June 2019, 08:38:56 »
The PCS-USS Indianapolis (LCS-17) is on the prowl, conducting it's trials.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #880 on: 29 June 2019, 08:44:25 »
Another thing,  future John F. Kennedy had it's 588 ton bridge/superstructure added to it at end of May.

Here speed-up vid of them adding it to the hull in the the article on Naval Technology.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #881 on: 01 July 2019, 09:44:38 »
I saw a article make its way into a Field Artillery group about how the Navy is thinking about reactivating old Battleships . . . headline did not talk about NGS, but that would be the only reason (unless we are getting some crocodile like aliens invading) and the mission reminded me of the Fighter Mafia's hate for the CAS mission & A-10.  I did not look at the article b/c to me it was pretty much click bate- they were retired for a reason; when the Iowa lost a gun they did not repair it so no parts for the future; crew requirements w/dead end tech; bomb/missile magnet; expense to operate vs multiple hulls and more.

I think there is a need for a gun/rocket using hull for NGS for both the Army & Marines, but its just not something the Navy wants.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #882 on: 01 July 2019, 10:01:36 »
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #884 on: 01 July 2019, 11:48:48 »
I saw a article make its way into a Field Artillery group about how the Navy is thinking about reactivating old Battleships . . . headline did not talk about NGS, but that would be the only reason (unless we are getting some crocodile like aliens invading) and the mission reminded me of the Fighter Mafia's hate for the CAS mission & A-10.  I did not look at the article b/c to me it was pretty much click bate- they were retired for a reason; when the Iowa lost a gun they did not repair it so no parts for the future; crew requirements w/dead end tech; bomb/missile magnet; expense to operate vs multiple hulls and more.

I think there is a need for a gun/rocket using hull for NGS for both the Army & Marines, but its just not something the Navy wants.

That's click-bait.

The Battleships are gone-gone-gone and never coming back and no reason (now) to bring them back-as-is.

Something *like* that? Yeah. But American Defence Research is incapable of producing that.

We *could* with modern tech produce something with the attributes of a modern BattleShip; that being #1 durability; we could make a big scary ship that is born to take hits from Russian AntiShip weapons. No one will though. Taking hits isn't sexy, which drives A LOT of modern weapons procurement. #2 we could provide modern, effective shore bombardment...but we won't. The US Navy doesn't want that job for their ships. Not sexy; ties them to the Army and Marines, "That's what the Carriers are for".

If anyone, anywhere ever turtles in well-built fortifications on a well-placed island we cannot ignore or bypass, it's going to be a very bad time for the Navies and Airforces of the world, as-is.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #885 on: 01 July 2019, 12:31:07 »
A few treads back I brought up the idea of making a "shore support ship" which would arguably be sort of a pocket battleship. 5-10,000 tons, 2x2 6" or 8" guns, lots of CIWS and short-range AA, enough armor plating to soak AGTMs and tank gun fire.

To keep the cost and weight down it would sacrifice a lot of electronics, sensors, and speed. It would essentially be a modern version of the old RN shore bombardment monitors.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #886 on: 01 July 2019, 13:03:49 »
Yeah, I want to say we had this topic 4 or 5 years ago and I would reinterate what I said then . . . they would not use 6" or 8" guns, they are not produced any longer for the USN that I am aware of- or in the Army, who used to have 8in howitzers.  So you go with the 155mm IMO and use the characteristics and design of the Crusader system where a single tube could fire 8 rounds for a ToT mission depending of course on range.  Supplement this with MLRS turrets and you can get a powerful bombardment ability using current systems and ammo . . .

. . . but we all know how procurement happens!
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #887 on: 01 July 2019, 16:12:26 »
What used to be the "Armed Forces Journal" (it's changed names a number of time in its history) once published an article by a Navy Engineering Duty Officer who explained in great detail why the battleships weren't coming back.  To say the least, he was very convincing.

No fortification can withstand what bomb designers can come up with.  Seriously, there used to be a design that used artillery tubes for casing (I saw the video in a museum). They lost the first one because it went so deep into the dirt, they couldn't find it.  Purpose built?  It can only get better.  And seriously, if all else fails, there are always tac-nukes.  No amount of reinforced concrete can take that.  If it detonated a couple of hundred feet underground, I bet world opinion wouldn't even blink.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #888 on: 01 July 2019, 16:36:34 »
They used decommissioned 8in artillery barrels.  As much as I am in favor of tac usage, its not politically viable.  Restoring the battleships are also not tactically or strategically viable

The problem with bombs is pretty simple . . . they are very expensive to deliver for guided munitions, and those penetrators CAN be defeated.  Its also a waste on a crew-served weapon pillbox.  Naval Gunfire Support is still a reality no matter what the techies in the Navy want, and for delivering HE on target (or FAE for rockets?) gun & rocket artillery is cheaper than air-delivered bombs.  A light-cruiser type ship is cheaper to operate than a carrier, and certainly risks fewer people.
Colt Ward

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #889 on: 01 July 2019, 16:48:09 »
They used decommissioned 8in artillery barrels.  As much as I am in favor of tac usage, its not politically viable.  Restoring the battleships are also not tactically or strategically viable

The problem with bombs is pretty simple . . . they are very expensive to deliver for guided munitions, and those penetrators CAN be defeated.  Its also a waste on a crew-served weapon pillbox.  Naval Gunfire Support is still a reality no matter what the techies in the Navy want, and for delivering HE on target (or FAE for rockets?) gun & rocket artillery is cheaper than air-delivered bombs.  A light-cruiser type ship is cheaper to operate than a carrier, and certainly risks fewer people.

It feels to me as though a better solution to the problem of naval gunfire support in the modern era would be to use a fairly light weight hull (I'm thinking mine countermeasures vessel sort of thing) that could have slot in modules with a 155mm artillery tube or two for when NGS is needed but the hull can be used for patrol type work the rest of the time (I know this might not work for the USN with their split of roles for policing type work with the USCG)

I would call this a monitor but it might fulfil the need in a way that a battleship would be overkill for - think MGS versus MBT
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #890 on: 01 July 2019, 17:23:16 »
Not to skirt Rule 4, but I think the definition of "politically viable" has changed since BattleTech came on the scene...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #891 on: 01 July 2019, 17:35:11 »
Back to the Pictures...

USS Virginia CGN-38

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #892 on: 01 July 2019, 17:48:38 »
Speaking of Cruisers...I randomly ran into this one without a mentioning of which one it is.

Anybody know?

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #893 on: 01 July 2019, 18:10:48 »
Speaking of Cruisers...I randomly ran into this one without a mentioning of which one it is.

Anybody know?

Could be one of three ships of the Konigsburg class cruisers.  Konigsburg, Karlsruhe, or Koln.

Edit: World of Warships Forum has it tagged as the Karlsruhe.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2019, 18:12:22 by Ghost0402 »
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #894 on: 01 July 2019, 18:11:28 »
There are arguments for and against tac nukes. Both have merit. Which stance is adopted by TPTB, depends ultimately on Congress, whatever the JCS may suggest. So you see where this goes. 'N that's all I have to say 'bout dat...

Re: NGFS - unless the hypersonic sabot project takes off big and makes big guns viable again, the only remaining viable bombardment options are not guns. They are:

1) the Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Georgia (I love that mnemonic) and their Tomahawks

or

2) the carriers and their GBU-dropping aircraft

Back to the Pictures...

USS Virginia CGN-38

Someone give me the low-down on why the Virginias had so much open deck space and apparently so few weapons.

I know it was the naval F-35 furore of the times. I just want to know more details. (Which I'm lazy to Google and summarise myself.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #895 on: 01 July 2019, 18:23:30 »
Nuclear propulsion is HEAVY... that would be my bet...

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #896 on: 01 July 2019, 19:20:28 »

Re: NGFS - unless the hypersonic sabot project takes off big and makes big guns viable again...

What makes big guns non-viable is that we no-longer have ANY of the infrastructure to make a gun like that anymore. Part of the draw of rail guns is that they DO NOT need a barrel like that. So its those or something like a Long Barrel/Low Pressure gun.

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #897 on: 01 July 2019, 20:35:01 »
Which is why I said 155mm, which is what the Army went to when they retired the 8in/203mm . . . which just now . . . duh, math, means its pretty much a 6in gun but metric & NATO and all that . . .

They used those large calibers b/c that is what it took to drive them the distance, penetrate armor and deliver a payload.  You do not need those 'big' guns any more for that work because of advances in fillers but guns & rockets are still needed.  Look at the sortie cost, loiter time over target, limited number of penetrators carried in inventory, aircraft maintenance requirements, cost per ton of HE, and other metrics . . . today's carriers cannot mount air ops to replicate WWII let alone Vietnam era (hey Newport News & BBs) NGFS.  Without going into rocket assist rounds, your looking at a modern 155mm Artillery & 270mm MLRS system being able to put rounds on target 15 or so miles which will be beyond reach of shore based torpedo attacks.  The MLRS could do prep fire at 40 miles with the right rockets (or longer with other rounds) and if need be could contribute to a cruise missile attack with a ATACMS (missile) attack at 100+ miles.

Simple ship design would be 2 double or triple turrets forward, 2 broadside MLRS (stowed unless firing), and another turret aft with a helo pad.  Give either a AA or ASW secondary role and the USN still gets its another use for it in escorting Amphib groups.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #898 on: 01 July 2019, 20:35:24 »
Oh, ship picture!

Colt Ward

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #899 on: 01 July 2019, 20:38:37 »
Oh, ship picture!

Ah, USS Laffey. I’ve been aboard her several times down at Patriots Point.

I need to get back out there the next time I’m visiting a customer for a few days.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Register