Author Topic: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium 3: It's a Trilogy!  (Read 8635 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium 3: It's a Trilogy!
« Reply #90 on: 02 April 2024, 11:53:42 »
Yah, that last one? pretty bad...

Comstar made...a miscalculation.  "A Proxy, you say?"  Ulric Kerensky regarded the Comstar acolyte calmly. 

"To reduce suffer-"

"no." the new ilKhan said, "no, I do not think so.  I think, no.  The offensive will continue, to Holy Terra.  No extra interruptions or delays.  I did not want this war.  We are going to bring this...catastrophe to a proper ending.  Inform your Primus, The Star League Defense Force will be returning to the cradle of mankind.  Prepare for our arrival if you must."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #91 on: 02 April 2024, 12:47:47 »
And that's when the nukes come out.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Starfox5

• Master Sergeant
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #92 on: 02 April 2024, 13:09:17 »
Focht: As you wish.

And then the Clans' Touman died in the Sol System when they discovered that the Clans were not able to fight an actual war instead of ritual combat with limited stakes.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #93 on: 02 April 2024, 13:34:38 »
Yeah, that do be when you spin up the zippe centrifuges to full speed and start preparing the devices to put the actual pits inside.

Speaking of nukes:

996:

The Reunification wars and Outer Reaches Rebellion both see the Taurians be as nukey as the fandom think they are memetically.  Every artillery tube gets 2-4 nuclear shells.  All their capital missiles are nuclear tipped.  One elite Taurian mech regiment has nuclear tipped SRMs that explode with about 1 ton of TNT equivalent.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 02 April 2024, 16:15:17 »
The Fallen Clans
I had a similar idea in the last thread where the Clans went through a series of mutual absorptions leading to “Hybrid Clans “ forming by the 30th century

Edit: Reposting my Tribble from the last thread for posterity.

Tribble #951

The day has arrived, Jaime Wolf thinks to himself. The Clans have arrived in the Inner Sphere to claim Terra and subjugate the Great Houses (and Periphery)... but these aren't the Clans he, Natasha and the older Dragoons remember.

Who are Clans Wolf Scorpion, Jade Jaguar, Hell's Ravens, Nova Coyote, Diamond Burrock, Spirit Bear, Fire Hellion and Galaxy Serpent?
« Last Edit: 02 April 2024, 19:03:33 by Hazard Pay »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #95 on: 02 April 2024, 17:45:54 »
Yeah, that do be when you spin up the zippe centrifuges to full speed and start preparing the devices to put the actual pits inside.

Speaking of nukes:

996:

The Reunification wars and Outer Reaches Rebellion both see the Taurians be as nukey as the fandom think they are memetically.  Every artillery tube gets 2-4 nuclear shells.  All their capital missiles are nuclear tipped.  One elite Taurian mech regiment has nuclear tipped SRMs that explode with about 1 ton of TNT equivalent.

I LOVE this one!  Nukes for ALL my friends!  And you get a nuke, and YOU get a nuke! ;D

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 02 April 2024, 21:37:05 »
Even invite the periphery nations,get it out of your system
Blast the star league traitors and get away with it
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #97 on: 03 April 2024, 04:27:23 »

Speaking of nukes:

996:

Hmmm... how far down can you actually scale a nuke? And, I don´t think even one ton of TNT is particularly safe to be around when it goes off in SRM range.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #98 on: 03 April 2024, 07:55:31 »
There are the Elias warheads in Interstellar Operations.  They are small enough for a person to carry one.  But they are 0.05 kiloton devices.

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 03 April 2024, 11:09:36 »
Nuke-tipped AC/2 ammo. Finally a good use for the blinkers

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #100 on: 03 April 2024, 12:44:53 »
Hmmm... how far down can you actually scale a nuke? And, I don´t think even one ton of TNT is particularly safe to be around when it goes off in SRM range.

Pretty far down-though most of it goes to waste when you're that small.  Using stuff like Metastable Cubic Nitrogen (solid nitrogen, in an N8 structure, really, really wanting to be gaseous nitrogen again) can give you a bit of extra oomph on your conventional explosives to compress the core more, better pit design triggers the design in a more snappy fashion.  But you'll still be blowing apart your critical mass long before you've extracted all the energy, and it's mostly fizzle.  But on the other hand, 1 ton of TNT at 300 meters isn't *that* bad for you as long as you cover your ears.

smdvogrin

• Corporal
« Reply #101 on: 04 April 2024, 08:08:55 »

Smallest IRL device was the W54 warhead used on the Davy Crockett (and a few other places) - 10-20 Tons of TNT equivilent.  Presumably, with BT tech, they could be made even smaller:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W54

Weight might be an issue - an SRM is about 20 lbs total, IIRC?  and the W54 warhead alone was 50 lbs.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #102 on: 04 April 2024, 10:25:37 »
Smallest IRL device was the W54 warhead used on the Davy Crockett (and a few other places) - 10-20 Tons of TNT equivilent.  Presumably, with BT tech, they could be made even smaller:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W54

Weight might be an issue - an SRM is about 20 lbs total, IIRC?  and the W54 warhead alone was 50 lbs.

You could maybe fit a W54 into into a Thunderbold-5 LRM though
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #103 on: 04 April 2024, 12:58:05 »
I think last time I farted around with the IO nuke rules I was able to get nukes that could at least fit an SRM, but possibly also an LRM. If not LRMs, then 'Mech Mortar shells are easily within reach at around 41 kg per shell for an MM/1.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #104 on: 04 April 2024, 18:12:15 »
Mech Mortars FTW! ;D

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 05 April 2024, 10:40:46 »

#997...Forlough's Furlough and other horrors of the Reunification War...

In the canon, Amos Forlough was given a medal for butchering civilians in the Outworlds and Concordat.  But imagine what might have been, if the protests were more than a few college students and ineffectual activists.

As he stood to recieve his medal of valour, the proceedings were interrupted.

fifty tons of nickel iron, moving at relative velocity, right into Unity City, aimed at the site where General Forlough was getting his medal.

Now what?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #106 on: 05 April 2024, 10:56:23 »

In the canon, Amos Forlough was given a medal for butchering civilians in the Outworlds and Concordat.  But imagine what might have been, if the protests were more than a few college students and ineffectual activists.

fifty tons of nickel iron, moving at relative velocity, right into Unity City, aimed at the site where General Forlough was getting his medal.

Now what?

So, an Liz type answer ?
Because that projectile at that speed is equal to say goodbye to Unity City.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #107 on: 05 April 2024, 11:58:21 »
I think I inspired someone from my own idea of Amos Furlough getting bumped off.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #108 on: 05 April 2024, 12:29:05 »

Now what?

Seems like a hell of a way to remove the Taurians / near Periphery from the setting.
Jude Melancon lives!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #109 on: 05 April 2024, 12:51:23 »

Just before the Jihad a relatively unknown noble, Duke Ryukan Hakkiru, has established a stable on Solaris VII.

The center piece is his youngest daughter, Yuko.  She is the only child of his that has shown any promise for piloting a Battlemech.

This new stable barely catches the attention of the local media on Solaris as it has all the hallmark signs of just being another in a long line of vanity stables started that then failed by similar nobles and other backers.

What does catch their attention is Yuko's first match.  Her mech is modified with many technologies clearly of Clan origin, and not just any technologies.  Some of them are even rather cutting edge, not having seen much use in the Inner Sphere as yet.

How has this seemingly unimportant Duke managed such a feat?

What game is he really playing on Solaris?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 05 April 2024, 12:59:56 »

Just before the Jihad a relatively unknown noble, Duke Ryukan Hakkiru, has established a stable on Solaris VII.

The center piece is his youngest daughter, Yuko.  She is the only child of his that has shown any promise for piloting a Battlemech.

This new stable barely catches the attention of the local media on Solaris as it has all the hallmark signs of just being another in a long line of vanity stables started that then failed by similar nobles and other backers.

What does catch their attention is Yuko's first match.  Her mech is modified with many technologies clearly of Clan origin, and not just any technologies.  Some of them are even rather cutting edge, not having seen much use in the Inner Sphere as yet.

How has this seemingly unimportant Duke managed such a feat?

What game is he really playing on Solaris?

kind of starting to prod ideas in my head, Monbvol.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #111 on: 05 April 2024, 13:06:56 »
kind of starting to prod ideas in my head, Monbvol.

:evil:

Hehehe.

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #112 on: 05 April 2024, 16:11:14 »
Seems like a hell of a way to remove the Taurians / near Periphery from the setting.
Surprise! It was actually the work of radical Terran Hegemony anti-war activists in protest of the Reunification Wars! Thus the THCW began.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: 05 April 2024, 17:29:58 »
If you want to assasinate Amos Forlough, there's so many other ways to do it.  Ricin in his coffee, polonium pellet in the leg, angry student protestor getting a shotgun and blowing open his chest, a random Ronin deciding that he needs to be cut down to size...

The 50 ton mass-driver slug is probably the least likely.  Though, I do note that Cannonshop said 'relative' velocity, which could mean that someone didn't shoot it out of a mass driver.  That could be a 50 ton ingot or roll of steel dropped out of an overflying dropship, or even a VTOL.  Much more funny!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #114 on: 06 April 2024, 09:09:32 »
If you want to assasinate Amos Forlough, there's so many other ways to do it.  Ricin in his coffee, polonium pellet in the leg, angry student protestor getting a shotgun and blowing open his chest, a random Ronin deciding that he needs to be cut down to size...

The 50 ton mass-driver slug is probably the least likely.  Though, I do note that Cannonshop said 'relative' velocity, which could mean that someone didn't shoot it out of a mass driver.  That could be a 50 ton ingot or roll of steel dropped out of an overflying dropship, or even a VTOL.  Much more funny!

How about a chunk of Blue Ice that is perfectly aimed?  But then people will claim he was hit by an Icy BM

(got the idea from the non-BT story It gets worse, chapter 6)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 08 April 2024, 11:34:29 »
#999  "Goooood MORNING INNER SPHERE!!

One of the most shocking experiences for the Clans in 3065, was the debut of Alphie Morrinson's syndicated variety show.  Efforts to block, attenuate, or damp the signal soon proved to be both frighteningly difficult, and futile.  Short of removing every device that could recieve a signal in RF, UHF, VHF, Long Wave or HPG, her two hour per day show from an undisclosed location could not be stopped...until one crossed the old, pre-Amaris, border heading away from Terra.

The secret? isn't really too difficult-someone discovered the keys to a system that First Lord Simon had been intending to use as a tool to both influence the territorial states, and both propagandize the Member States (or break through their propaganda).

It's not just the Clans who aren't happy with Alfie's massive broadcast, Comstar and the Word of Blake are both blaming each other as the voice of a teen girl chats out about national secrets, scandals, and plays underground, rarely heard, and obscure teen-oriented dance music for two hours a day, every day, including sundays and holidays, from her "Student Studio here in the University of Hard Knox!, Bringing YOU the Beetz and all the News Not Fit To Print!!"

Nobody even knows what she really looks like, on the visual spectra, she appears as a clearly cartoonish cartoon character.  One that looks suspiciously like a caricature of some classic literary villain, like the Borg, or the infected from "Planet of the Dead".

but she's poking fun at everyone, and her sources?  are impossible.

So, who, or more importantly, WHAT is Alphie Morrinson, and what is it going to take to silence her signal?
« Last Edit: 08 April 2024, 11:36:00 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 08 April 2024, 11:43:13 »
Yes, guys, the one I just posted for #999 is supposed to be creepypasta AND funny.  Light-Hearted, even, and it's based on the Robin Williams version of "Good Morning Vietnam" plus some of the stuff from the modern blogosphere/social media thing, adding a spice of 1960s-1980s Pirate Radio.

all with a sweet-voiced little giggly girl dragging out everybody's dirty laundry between dance tracks.

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #117 on: 08 April 2024, 17:54:19 »
Wonder if it's even possible to do podcast style interviews with important personalities.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #118 on: 08 April 2024, 18:55:40 »
BRILLIANT idea Cannonshop! :D

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #119 on: 10 April 2024, 11:13:02 »
BRILLIANT idea Cannonshop! :D
I'm actually considering writing this one, but maybe Gio could write it BETTER.