Author Topic: Knorpelkeks` terrain for AS  (Read 7665 times)

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
Knorpelkeks` terrain for AS
« on: 02 August 2022, 11:28:45 »
Hello there,

I have not touched BT or AS for quite a while but some matches of AS are coming my way.  :D
I noticed that I don`t have any good terrain left. A quick brainstorming showed me that the most prominent feature in my mind are mountains. So I decided to follow a tutorial on Youtube by the channel Okay Hobby Time and built some stepped hills. These kind of hills may not look very natural but I prefer the way they fit into gameplay. I wanted to have a appearance of sandstone or some other kind of sedimentary rock. Because of this I did not choose the typical grey color of those standard tabletop hills.
One important requirement of my procedure was that I do not want to buy any new stuff but to use only materials I already have in my hobby room. Therefore my sheets of xps were 3 cm thick. Concerning movement I will treat them in game like 1 inch. Even if I am not playing BT but AS I like the fact that 2 levels will completely hide the heavyest mechs.
Let`s show some pictures:

We start with simple kidneys in various sizes.

With the help of a knife and a steel ruler we turn it into something like this:

Next step - take some pva and glue chinchilla sand on top. The sand gives a nice grip so the pieces laying on top of another piece do not slide even if you accidentally jab them.

Now we paint the rocks with a tone of sand and the top with a brown tone.

After this we apply a dark brown wash. Sadly my cam on my cellphone does not catch the fine details really well. Besides this I forgot to take a picture.  ::)

The next step is a firm drybrush over the whole terrain piece with the primary tone of sand and a slight drybrush with pure white and only vertical strokes of the brush.

I have to say that I am really happy with the result.

Here are some pics with some minis for scale.

Right now there is only some flock missing. But this is the point I have to think twice. There is a lot of gras for model railway by Noch in my inventory but I do not like to use it on terrain for 6mm scale. I feel like it does not fit this scale very well. I would need something like the fine turfs of Woodland Scenics. But this would be against my plan of not spending any additional money (and they are hard to get at my place). I will sleep about it and show you the result. There is more to come during the next month because i feel the need for wood and waters.

Best wishes

Knorpelkeks

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
Re: Knorpelkeks` terrain for AS
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2022, 13:09:17 »
These are awesome.

So if I understood this correctly, you used the box cutter knife to manually cut the stone texture on the sides? You didn't use the that Proxxon hot-wire cutter?

Were you using the steel ruler only for measurements, or did you use it in some other way?

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2022, 13:46:35 »
The Proxxon is used to cut the kidneys out of the xps sheets.

Then you take the knife and cut some horizontal and vertical lines in the smooth surface of the sides.

The next step is the one where the stone pattern is created. You take your steel ruler and pull it with its edge firm across the incised surface. Parts are breaking away randomly and the xps gets this cracked look. It needs a little bit of practice and it soon gets tedious. If you accidentally removed to many of the incised parts you can always come back, cut again with the knife and use the ruler again.
If my words are not clear enough I recommend to watch the tutorial on Youtube.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2022, 14:38:46 »
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. I am intending to mimic the hills and mountains on the regular BT maps by creating the 3D equivalents out of the extruded poly. foam, so seeing this thread was a godsend.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2022, 20:17:05 »
Gorgeous work!  :thumbsup:

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2022, 09:13:03 »
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. I am intending to mimic the hills and mountains on the regular BT maps by creating the 3D equivalents out of the extruded poly. foam, so seeing this thread was a godsend.

That`s very nice to read that there is a benefit for you.  :thumbsup: I thought about the same some years ago but i liked to have a little bit more room and crafted some bigger hexes. If you own the Proxxon Thermocut you can print out blank hexes out of thick paper and use it as a guide for the wire. I did it this way and it worked like a charm. Back then i did not structure the sides because i cut out hundreds of hexes an it would have taken me ages to do so.

Gorgeous work!  :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot.  :)

Right now my hills have to wait a little while. I ordered some blended turf... Meanwhile i did some prototypes for my waters. The base is cut out of hdf-boards with a coping saw. the edges are beveled with a box cutter.

I took some xps sheets with 3mm thickness and cut out a outline with the hot wire.

This lake will be a shallow one with only level -1.

This one is deeper.

Thats it for now:

I think that is enough waters for my gaming table. Maybe I will craft a modular river later.

In game the lakes will not count as elevated. I only built them this way to have a possibility to pour some 2k epoxy resin. The minis will always stand on top of the terrain. You can tell the depth by the color of the bottom. I am curious where this is going to...  :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2022, 09:16:34 »
That makes two of us!  :D

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2022, 03:55:05 »
Only little steps this week...

I smoothed the edges with a modeling paste.

Glued the sand with pva.

Painted it with a mixture of brown and pva...

and noticed that there a many small holes especially on the inner edges.

So I painted these areas twice and hoped that everything is sealed. Otherwise the epoxy resin will eat its way through the foam.

I painted the different sub levels with different colors, glued some rocks on and washed them and...

put them on some damp paper towels with some weights on it. This step wasn`t really necessary. I only had little warping since I used hdf for basing. But because of the resin I wanted the bases to be absolutely flat. Just let them stand for one day like this and they will be leveled. This works for bases made out of mdf or cardboard, too.
I did a drybrush and then came the magic moment...

The resin! This picture is right after pouring. I am still waiting for the result... ??? I used some acrylic inks to tint the resin. Right now I am not really pleased 100 % with the apperance  :-\, but let´s see how this will look with flock on the table... A lighter or a blow torch are very handy. Just go over the surface with it from time to time and the bubbles in the resin will burst. There will be bubbles even if you had the impression that there are none while pouring.

Time to think about the woods and to do some prototypes for the trees! There will be 3 (or so) of them on every wood base to represent the wood. They will be removable for storing purpose.

« Last Edit: 13 August 2022, 06:58:30 by Knorpelkeks02 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2022, 10:19:25 »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2022, 14:18:47 »
Oh boy! This thread is a treasure trove of modelling terrain info.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2022, 09:00:43 »
if you don't want to do green flock, you could just go for an Arid/desert terrain feel.

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2022, 15:41:49 »
I was too busy with work during the last weeks. My schedule is delayed...  ???

At least I managed to finish nearly all 12 wire trees. 3 of them still need some twisting of their branches. I took me longer than I expected to make one tree (between 30 to 40 minutes each).

Right now I am waiting for some neodym magnets to arrive. Nest step will be to make the roots and the bark.

I glued the turf on my hills and had an issue:

I used this kind of turf for the first time and and I have no idea why there were those strange glue lanes after drying. My procedure was to paint the glue on the surface of the hilltop, sprinkle on the turf, turn the hills around and knock of the excess. I decided to redo the sprinkling but this time "woodland scenics style". I sprinkled on a thin layer of turf and soaked it from above with a liquid glue. I really have no idea how this stuff is called in the USA. Here in Germany it is called "Tiefgrund". It is much cheaper than the scenic glue by woodland scenics and I suspect that this "Tiefgrund" is an ingredient of the scenic glue. Maybe some others here know how to translate to English. I did not want to make a big mess so I used a pipette (and not an spray can). This only works if you use something to break the surface tension of the liquid. Otherwise the turf will float away. Therefor I misted some isopropyl alcohol with a very fine spray flacon before dropping the "Tiefgrund". This is what it looks like right now:

The liquid glue is milky when it is wet and transparent when it is dryed. I think that everything will be fixed firmly. At least this is my experience with static gras in combination with "Tiefgrund".

Slowly marching on...
« Last Edit: 09 September 2022, 23:51:35 by Knorpelkeks02 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2022, 16:24:36 »
Progress is progress!  I look forward to the finished product!  :thumbsup:

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2022, 02:25:04 »
I really appreciate a clean working table. Mine becomes a mess really quickly. I have to steal that idea of yardstick on the table edge.

Those hills are not only super nice, but also very light. With enough of them, it makes a huge difference.
(+)

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2022, 01:50:19 »
Progress is progress!  I look forward to the finished product!  :thumbsup:

Me too!  ;D

I really appreciate a clean working table. Mine becomes a mess really quickly. I have to steal that idea of yardstick on the table edge.

Those hills are not only super nice, but also very light. With enough of them, it makes a huge difference.

Thank you very much. I have to admit that I am not responsible for the yardstick. It is a piece of furniture I get hold of by a friend. He is an architect and he replaced old furniture in his office. Nevertheless I use it with great enjoyment!   :)

A quick update:

It worked! The turf is firmly glued to the ground. Over the weekend i put on another layer of this adhesive. Just for being sure... Due to my process of gluing and sprinkling turf the result looks a little bit irregular. This makes some nice variations that appear natural to me. The issue from above turned out to be a favor.  :thumbsup: Now only the woods remain! Let´s chop some trees!  :thumbsup:

For my own motivation: a quick arrangement

« Last Edit: 12 September 2022, 09:18:33 by Knorpelkeks02 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2022, 03:16:03 »
Looks great!  :thumbsup:

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2022, 14:58:45 »
Had some great games and a lot of fun this weekend.  :)

This evening i started to make the upper parts of the magnetized tree bases. The roots oft the wire trees were bent with a diameter of 6mm. The hollow space was filled with a 2 part epoxy putty and a magnet was pressed to the bottom with a tiny dot of super glue.

After this the trees were pressed to a sheet of baking paper. Now all 12 trees are done and I am waiting for the putty to become firm...

Next stop: The counterparts on the woodland bases.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2022, 17:22:13 »
Sweet job!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2022, 18:29:11 »
Those are BRILLIANT trees!  :thumbsup:

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: 22 September 2022, 19:43:13 »
great work on all of it.  :thumbsup:

the trees are a nice twist  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 03 October 2022, 04:32:51 »
The evolution of my woods goes on. I made little progress.

At first i used some epoxy putty to sculpt some enclosures for the magnets on the ground and glued those magnets down.

Then followed the specific steps:

Primer und drybrush.

A first layer of flock (looks ugly!  :o).

Several other layers of different kind of flocks (If I remember correctly 3).

A final soaking of glue finishes today`s issue of my terrain diary.  :))

I used a lot of my stock of model train flock by some German manufacturers. The different kinds have the disadvantage that they bleed out a lot of color when they are soaked with this liquid glue. Woodland scenic`s turf doesn`t bleed out that much. You have to keep that in mind if you are building some pieces of terrain where you don`t want to stain surrounding areas. In my case I hope that this color bleeding creates some smooth transitions between the different flocks. It won`t be that bad...

The trees will be next. I just decided to do the bark by using pva and saw meal. The foliation will be executed with WS clump foliage.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2022, 14:11:41 by Knorpelkeks02 »

Rougarou Rhapsody

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Agent #1053
« Reply #21 on: 03 October 2022, 12:21:15 »
Very nice.  I put wood screws into the bottom of my trees instead of magnets and just used magnets on the template itself.  That way I didn't have to keep track of which pole of the magnet was face up. It was a little unruly to get the screws inserted properly but I didn't scratch build my trees with a wire armature. Food for thought on your project moving forward.  Wood screws are super cheap.  Might save you some money in the long run, since you won't have to double up on magnets.
“No half measures. Some things can’t be cut in half. You can’t half-love someone. You can’t half-betray, or half-lie.” ― Mark Lawrence, Emperor of Thorns

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #22 on: 03 October 2022, 14:41:15 »
Very nice.  I put wood screws into the bottom of my trees instead of magnets and just used magnets on the template itself.  That way I didn't have to keep track of which pole of the magnet was face up. It was a little unruly to get the screws inserted properly but I didn't scratch build my trees with a wire armature. Food for thought on your project moving forward.  Wood screws are super cheap.  Might save you some money in the long run, since you won't have to double up on magnets.

Thanks for your input!  :thumbsup:
Yes you are right. If there were more trees to do I would switch to a piece of metal combined with a magnet. Because there were only 12 trees to handle I opted for using 2 of them. 24 magnets took 4,80€ out of my wallet. That makes 20 cents each. Too much for building big forests but quite ok for my application. I have to say that I really like the extra portion of magnetic adhesive strength by using 2 magnets. No wobbling or shaking at all...

Now the trees are drying. I am not really satisfied with their look. The glue was hard to control while sprinkling the saw meal. Some branches have some strange bulges now. I will leave them to dry and have a look again tomorrow. Usually I use a clay that has to be baked in an oven for texturing the bark. But that won`t work in this scale with those thin and tiny branches. We will see where this will go...
« Last Edit: 03 October 2022, 14:46:56 by Knorpelkeks02 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 03 October 2022, 18:13:42 »
Real trees often have strange bulges, so I wouldn't worry too much.  :thumbsup:

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 08 October 2022, 04:24:01 »
I have to say that I underestimated time and effort of building the wood pieces. Nonetheless they come closer to their state of being finished.  ;D
Some of the intermediate steps really don`t look nice and took some confidence of my building routine.

Just after the "barkification" ;D:

With its primer on:

After the wash (mix of black, brown, green):

With some clump foliage on:

And with better lighting:

4 done, 8 left to do.

I like the result. The foliage is glued on with superglue. I have to think about how to make it a little bit more sturdy. Maybe I will soak it with PVA. The wood base will get some more details like bushes or low shrubs.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2022, 15:04:01 by Knorpelkeks02 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 11 October 2022, 18:23:00 »
Those look REALLY good!  :o

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 16 October 2022, 13:30:08 »
Update for my woods: I consider them as done!  :)

I soaked the foliage with pva and glued some bushes on the base and around the roots of the trees. Everything seems to be quite sturdy.   8)

Today I can only deliver some pictures with artificial lighting.

From above - not much difference to my last post (2 bases are still waiting to dry):

In detail:

With a scout sneaking through the thicket and trying to spot for allied artillery:

This marks the temporary end of my journey in terrain making. I had a lot of fun with this little project.

Thanks to all your kind replies! Especially Daryk for always staying tuned! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I will make some other hills later this year. I need some with a dessert theme, too. But before I will start again I will make a wish to Santa for bringing me a nice neoprene gaming mat with the size of our gaming table...  ::)
« Last Edit: 16 October 2022, 13:41:36 by Knorpelkeks02 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 16 October 2022, 14:12:16 »
Congrats on a finished product, especially one that looks SO good!  :thumbsup:

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 16 October 2022, 14:48:32 »
I was waiting on the pics of the finished product, and they haven't disappointed. Awesome work on the forest templates. This thread is inspirational and provides excellent tutorials.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 17 October 2022, 10:45:02 »
Wow.  You killed it.  Amazing woods templates!