Author Topic: NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition  (Read 72820 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition
« on: 08 February 2017, 07:22:38 »
Yeah, I'm still pissy about the Chargers ditching San Diego and the Jack Murphy stadium, but L.A. just got the Rams and now them too?  Grumble.

So the Patriots come off another Superbowl win, will Brady stay in and keep playing?  Seems so.

Changes begin, Kyle Shanahan is now coaching San Francisco while the Falcons grab Steve Sarkisian as a replacement.  The Cleveland Brown Notes have let quarterback Josh McCown go, Packers released running back James Starks, and Superbowl winner Martellus Bennett is up for new contracts.  Any bets on the shuffles to come before the preseason, and any thoughts on the season itself?

Also, the first 65 million of the billion dollar settlement begins this month, with the League dumping another 120M into the fund later this year.  Gotta wonder how much this will change the game - for the safer, which is frankly something important.  I expect some further rules changes for hits and tighter enforcement, but...I should admit I'm a motorsports fan, and unfortunately you can't safe everything out of danger.  When you get cars going that fast, pushing those limits, sometimes...racing happens.  The same with football, and men playing as hard as they can at each other.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2017, 07:29:06 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
Re: NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2017, 09:03:43 »
I hope Brady retires, I really do.  It'd be classy to go out on top. . . and I want Buffalo to at least have a chance of making the playoffs.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2017, 09:12:02 »
I hope Brady retires, I really do.  It'd be classy to go out on top. . . and I want Buffalo to at least have a chance of making the playoffs.
It's what I would do. Five SB wins. Still under 40 and relatively healthy and has nothing to prove to the football world or its fans. However when his extremely hot wife asked him to retire and he says "Sorry, baby, but I'm having too much fun," you know he's not going anywhere soon.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2017, 10:01:52 »
Denver also hired a new HC some time ago, former Dolphins DC Vance Joseph.  I know a lot of the fans were hoping they'd tap Shanahan, in part because his offense is similar to Kubiak's, making for a smoother transition, in part because he's have been more likely to retain Wade Phillips (now in LA with the Rams), and in part, I suspect, out of sentimentality for the good old days when Kyle's dad was our HC.  I've seen enough good from his tenure to trust that Elway knows what he's doing, but I don't know enough about Joseph to be super optimistic.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2017, 10:26:04 »
Elway also re-hired McCoy as OC and Musgrave as QB (former Oakland OC), so there's a new brain trust to help better the offense (it can't get any worse, can it?)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2017, 11:10:42 »
I wonder if the Chargers will see if they can tap the Mouse and become the Anaheim Chargers....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2017, 11:38:14 »
Also, the first 65 million of the billion dollar settlement begins this month, with the League dumping another 120M into the fund later this year.  Gotta wonder how much this will change the game - for the safer, which is frankly something important.  I expect some further rules changes for hits and tighter enforcement, but...I should admit I'm a motorsports fan, and unfortunately you can't safe everything out of danger.  When you get cars going that fast, pushing those limits, sometimes...racing happens.  The same with football, and men playing as hard as they can at each other.
The main problem with football versus, say, Motocross is that it isn't one accident that's the threat, but a constant battering which eventually robs a man of what makes him human - his mind - and that the NFL tried to cover it up and are now valiantly trying to downplay it. If you'd ever seen a 37-year-old man - once a football hero to millions! - drooling vacantly as his wife spoonfeeds him, you might not think of the new rules so casually...

And what makes it really annoying for me is now that parents are becoming more activist, not allowing their children to participate in football programs and dropping the NFL's future in the toilet, the NFL is trying an end run around them and appealing directly to the kids. Feels kinda... well... like Camel Joe selling footballs instead of cigarettes.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2017, 13:58:06 »
The main problem with football versus, say, Motocross is that it isn't one accident that's the threat, but a constant battering which eventually robs a man of what makes him human - his mind - and that the NFL tried to cover it up and are now valiantly trying to downplay it. If you'd ever seen a 37-year-old man - once a football hero to millions! - drooling vacantly as his wife spoonfeeds him, you might not think of the new rules so casually...

I can't speak to motorcross itself, but other forms of motorsports have chronic injury issues. Drag racers have some of the highest incident rates of detached retinas (that's across all occupations, not just drivers). Racing of all sorts carry the risk of concussions, which can (and have) sidelined drivers for months. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is probably the highest profile driver I can think of with on-track concussions, he sat in 2012 (2 races) as well as 2016 (half a season).

Pick your poison, really. Anything that subjects the human body to high amounts of energy runs the risk of head trauma.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2017, 14:17:47 »
This is why chess is the safest sport.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2017, 14:40:20 »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2017, 17:20:39 »
I wonder if the Chargers will see if they can tap the Mouse and become the Anaheim Chargers....

I'm sure they're working on it.  That's kind of what Spanos has wanted all along, why he never negotiated in good faith with the city of San Diego, and why he got Bob Iger onboard with his Carson project.

Spanos doesn't want to be Kronke's tenant.  He wants control over his own stadium as a revenue source.  More than anything else, he needs the money to cover the inheritance tax when Alex Spanos dies. Stadium seats a few times a year don't outweigh revenue from a larger TV market in LA, plus he gets to keep the San Diego TV market. That earns him more so, even if the family does need to sell the team later on, they'll get more for it.

My question is: where are the Raiders going to end up?  Does San Quentin have a stadium?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2017, 17:26:53 »
I'm sure they're working on it.  That's kind of what Spanos has wanted all along, why he never negotiated in good faith with the city of San Diego, and why he got Bob Iger onboard with his Carson project.

Spanos doesn't want to be Kronke's tenant.  He wants control over his own stadium as a revenue source.  More than anything else, he needs the money to cover the inheritance tax when Alex Spanos dies. Stadium seats a few times a year don't outweigh revenue from a larger TV market in LA, plus he gets to keep the San Diego TV market. That earns him more so, even if the family does need to sell the team later on, they'll get more for it.

My question is: where are the Raiders going to end up?  Does San Quentin have a stadium?
They're going to hollow out the Luxor pyramid.
Sunrise is Coming.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2017, 18:00:05 »
Well some early thoughts:

It'll frankly take more than Brady retiring to drop the Patriots from their position of dominance.

Rams will probably continue to suck.

Browns will continue trying to put square pegs in round holes and eat paste while trying to figure out how to make it work.

And the award for the most dysfunctional team of 2016-17 goes to the Washington ******.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2017, 22:14:57 »
Well some early thoughts:

It'll frankly take more than Brady retiring to drop the Patriots from their position of dominance.

Rams will probably continue to suck.

Browns will continue trying to put square pegs in round holes and eat paste while trying to figure out how to make it work.

And the award for the most dysfunctional team of 2016-17 goes to the Washington ******.
Belichick retiring is what it would take.  Brady is a good QB, but if he and Peyton had been drafted by opposite teams, Manning would have 6-8 rings by now and Brady would have 0.  The coach, not any one of the players, is where NE's success comes from.
Sunrise is Coming.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2017, 22:22:28 »
*nod*

They do draft well, trade well, and develop players well.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2017, 08:42:10 »
Stadium seats a few times a year don't outweigh revenue from a larger TV market in LA, plus he gets to keep the San Diego TV market.

He doesn't get to keep any revenue from any particular TV market, the NFL splits that equally among all the teams. TV markets are a baseball thing.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2017, 14:49:39 »
It appears the ****** are upset with their relative stability as of late and now have shut their GM out of any decision making processes. As a Cowboy fan I approve.

Meanwhile, it appears Tony Romo is off to somewhere else. I feel bad that he's leaving without a ring and hope he does well but I'll jump on the Dak bandwagon.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2017, 17:57:36 »
Oh, the Bears. Sometimes I wonder if their owners are trying a Major League strategy to tank attendance to the point that they can leave Chicago. We really don't need another Jay Cutler, but it looks like we're going to get one. For crying out loud, Mike Glennon was benched for Josh McCown, who had made a very credible run when Cutler was out two years ago - and the Bears promptly ditched, because God forbid anyone outshine the golden boy.

Every decision the Bears have made since I moved to Chicago has been baffling.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2017, 21:34:04 »
So you're saying it's all your fault?    :D
I have spoken.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #19 on: 08 March 2017, 22:44:31 »
Maybe. I've got no idea what's going in the Bears boardroom.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #20 on: 08 March 2017, 22:56:23 »
I'm pretty sure it involves ouiji boards and mind altering substances.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 09 March 2017, 15:25:44 »

Apparently, neither does anyone in said boardroom.
I have spoken.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2017, 16:00:55 »
Sunrise is Coming.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 09 March 2017, 16:01:49 »
Yeah, Mike Glennon for $15 million a year? Look to what the Texans had to give up to get rid of Brock!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 09 March 2017, 16:30:19 »
Hehehe

Quote from: ESPN
Have you ever looked up somebody on Facebook whom you vaguely remembered from a party three years ago and thought they looked great? Have you then paid that person three years and $45 million to come to Chicago and hang out with you? Congrats! You're the Chicago Bears.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 09 March 2017, 17:01:10 »

Whatever Virginia wants. She has control of her children's shares, which puts her strongly in the majority.

The Bears will get better, unfortunately it'll most likely be a repeat of how the Blackhawks got better.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #26 on: 09 March 2017, 17:50:19 »
Whatever Virginia wants. She has control of her children's shares, which puts her strongly in the majority.

The Bears will get better, unfortunately it'll most likely be a repeat of how the Blackhawks got better.

When they stop being a farm team to the Red Wings? ;D

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 09 March 2017, 18:00:02 »
This is fantastic in the most hilarious way.  The Browns literally just bought a draft pick, and Houston threw Osweilier under the bus so hard his career was dead before it went under the wheels.  Especially if they just cut him now, which is entirely in the realm of reason.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 09 March 2017, 22:54:52 »
Any guesses on where Romo's going?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 09 March 2017, 23:32:11 »
Any guesses on where Romo's going?

If I had a bunch of cap space and desperately needed a quarterback, I wouldn't take him.
I have spoken.

Register