Author Topic: What and Why  (Read 2366 times)

wookiebear

• Recruit
  • No matter where you go, there you are
What and Why
« on: 16 February 2011, 17:31:54 »
I got thinking after reading some of these threads about the units I prefer to play and why, and was wondering what you all like

I will start out (only fair as I am doing the asking  :P)

I tend to prefer a more combined approach in regards to units. It seems to match my attitude and the tactics I enjoy most.

I play in the Periphery (and Taurian Concordat specifically, but that is a personal bias) where most of the info from the early days held 'Mechs to be rare and wondrous things.

I always figured the house 'Mech units would be supported by armored militia and infantry so played it that way. My favorite units were the Hyades Light Infantry or the Red Chasseurs.

I also liked playing the TC merc units like Bannockburn's Bandits or Gordon's Armored Cavalry 'cause they seemed to be more TC than some of the House units.

Lately I have been thinking of playing Hells Horses because of the combined arms mentality of their units

So there you have it, what I like to play and why, how about you?

wookie

No matter where you go, there you are

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Re: What and Why
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2011, 17:41:27 »
Generally I play with mechs and armor and some infantry.  Few things are cooler than an assault mech blundering into the kill zone of a company of SRM infantry in a city.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
Re: What and Why
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2011, 09:45:25 »
Well traditionally I've played with Heavy Mechs supported by a handful of lights and assaults. It gave me a moderately mobile force, with a good deal of firepower, while still giving me the niche units to perform other combat roles.

Lately hwoever, I've been developing a growing interest in combined arms. I blame video games  ;D

As such, I've been playing largely with Heavy mechs as the "anvil," while using quick, hard-hitting vehicles to round up and flank enemy units, and VTOLs to harass them from the rear. Combined with BA/PBI forces to help deny planned attack routes, it's proven fairly successful.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0