Author Topic: Star Wars General Discussion: Somehow The Thread Returned  (Read 17902 times)

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
Re: Star Wars General Discussion: Somehow The Thread Returned
« Reply #90 on: 08 June 2023, 11:52:00 »
Now for something completely different:

Visited where parts of Episode VII and VIII was filmed - Michaels monestary on Greater Skellig off the west coast of Ireland.
Been wanting to go here for years (unrelated to Star Wars). :)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #91 on: 08 June 2023, 13:21:04 »
Are you going to be spending time in Dublin?  Because we'll be having a BattleTech meetup on Thursday of next week...
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

NightSarge

• Captain
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #92 on: 09 June 2023, 06:38:53 »
Forgotten weapons
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #93 on: 09 June 2023, 12:00:46 »
Now for something completely different:

Visited where parts of Episode VII and VIII was filmed - Michaels monestary on Greater Skellig off the west coast of Ireland.
Been wanting to go here for years (unrelated to Star Wars). :)

Did you eat your Porg fried or roasted?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #94 on: 10 June 2023, 21:36:36 »
Did you eat your Porg fried or roasted?
better question were there other Porg wanting some?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #95 on: 12 July 2023, 07:42:37 »
I'll just leave this here: https://youtu.be/J_1EXWNETiI
I have spoken.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #96 on: 12 July 2023, 12:26:22 »
Well then E-Wings are now canon thanks to Ahsoka show. Trailer also brought some questions that are hopefully answered in show. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #97 on: 12 July 2023, 13:28:08 »
The E-Wings look great. My favorite fighter form the expanded universe.
Don't know if that will be enough to save the show IMHO.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #98 on: 12 July 2023, 13:36:24 »
Don't judge it before it's out even if you're going to it ready to hate it.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #99 on: 12 July 2023, 14:11:17 »
It'll be awesomejuice part 7.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #100 on: 12 July 2023, 22:23:13 »
It'll be awesomejuice part 7.

Me and my coworkers are calling it Rebels season 5.   ;)
I have spoken.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #101 on: 12 July 2023, 22:37:14 »
That would gel better if the two main leads were featured in the show with her.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #102 on: 12 July 2023, 23:31:00 »
more like season 6, when you figure that half of seasons 2 and 3 of the mandalorian were basically following up on Rebels plotlines.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 12 July 2023, 23:39:10 »
I am not sure exactly where they are trying to plug Asoska show into the timeline, but my personal feel based on the apparent age of the chars is that it should be roughly return of jedi to mando ish because the who "rebels" show was ~5-10 years ish that started ~12 years after order 66 happened and the empire was declared

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 12 July 2023, 23:44:52 »
from the trailer, it looks like it's set around the same time as the Mandalorian series. seasons 2 and 3 of it laid a lot of ground work for the whole "thrawn returning as the leader of the imperial remnants" part of the story.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #105 on: 13 July 2023, 00:50:56 »
That would gel better if the two main leads were featured in the show with her.
not trying to spoiler it too much but 2 (or 3) of the characters are core members of the rebels team
core members of rebels:
Canan Jaris (Dead)
Esra Bridger "missing"
Hera Syndulla pilot (in the trailer)
Sabine Ren the Mando girl (in the trailer)
and chopper the droid, in the trailer.
I remember Zeb (Garazeb) was in the cantina in the last episode of Mandalorian (season 3)
Asosoka spy/occasional helper

grand admiral Thrawn major villain

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 16 July 2023, 19:54:27 »
not trying to spoiler it too much but 2 (or 3) of the characters are core members of the rebels team
core members of rebels:
Canan Jaris (Dead)
Esra Bridger "missing"
Hera Syndulla pilot (in the trailer)
Sabine Ren the Mando girl (in the trailer)
and chopper the droid, in the trailer.
I remember Zeb (Garazeb) was in the cantina in the last episode of Mandalorian (season 3)
Asosoka spy/occasional helper

grand admiral Thrawn major villain
i suspect that finding Ezra will be part of the story of the show. i suspect we won't get Zeb except as a cameo, due to the amount of CGI needed to pull him off, but we know from the lego sets announced so far that we're getting some new supporting characters. (a "first officer hawkins" and the moncal "Lt. Beyta". their inclusion in 75357 "The Ghost and Phantom II" suggests they'll play a big enough role to warrant Lego thinking people will want figures of them. the set also includes Jacen Syndulla, suggesting he'll also make an appearance.)
and yeah, kanan is dead, so he's not coming back. (and no, the fact that Rebels had the world between worlds does not mean he can.. that place was destroyed in Rebels, and it was already established in that rebels episode that pulling him from the point of his death would unravel too much events wise because it would mean the death of Hera, ezra, Sabine, Zeb, and so on. in Dr.Who terms, his death is a fixed point. it can't be changed without breaking history.)

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #107 on: 23 August 2023, 10:00:42 »
Really liked the first two episodes. A little slow, but they needed to set the table for those who have never seen Rebels - which I think they did pretty well.

The Purrgils took Thrawn to another galaxy!   :shocked:
I have spoken.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #108 on: 23 August 2023, 11:26:13 »
Enjoyed first two episodes.  Seeing Ray Stevenson as a Dark Jedi made me both happy and sad at the same time.   Man, I loved me some Titus Pullo.  RIP Ray.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #109 on: 23 August 2023, 12:15:40 »
Enjoyed the double episode, but it really does need a small recap of Rebels if you haven't seen it to fit the full context. Who is Ezra and why should one care about him if you haven't seen Rebels? (I have and fully know why). But it's a very context-sensitive show as written.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #110 on: 26 August 2023, 06:25:34 »
I watched the first episode of this Ashoka, and gave up on it. Bland characters, super slow, and horrific dialogue. I didnt watch Rebels, so I had no idea who these people even were or why I should care about them.

Star Wars is truly dead.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #111 on: 26 August 2023, 10:15:03 »
I watched the first episode of this Ashoka, and gave up on it. Bland characters, super slow, and horrific dialogue. I didnt watch Rebels, so I had no idea who these people even were or why I should care about them.

Star Wars is truly dead.

In your opinion.

Having watched Rebels, several times, and enjoyed it each time, I’m loving Ahsoka.

Having read the Thrawn novels (both the Legends ones and the new canon ones), I’m loving it even more.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #112 on: 26 August 2023, 12:13:21 »

Star Wars is truly dead.

It's was by DESIGN to make you look into Rebels. It merely failed to hook YOU, sir. Everyone's mileage will vary...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #113 on: 26 August 2023, 14:10:32 »
I never watched Rebels, but I got enough background information from other live action shows and plenty of YouTube videos on related subjects to find Ahsoka to be interesting enough to watch.  Especially with how it follows up on A New Hope and its trilogy movies. 

I just cannot stand the animation style used for Rebels to watch it. 

BirdDog

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #114 on: 26 August 2023, 19:52:40 »
I never watched Rebels, but I got enough background information from other live action shows and plenty of YouTube videos on related subjects to find Ahsoka to be interesting enough to watch.  Especially with how it follows up on A New Hope and its trilogy movies. 

I just cannot stand the animation style used for Rebels to watch it.

I was the same...I forced myself to watch at least Season 4 because of Thrawn (the original Thrawn trilogy were my first "grown up novels" when I was a kid).  Over the season the style sort of grew on me, at least enough to be watchable and I binged the entire series.  My family though just couldn't do it.

I really enjoyed the first two episodes, and really looking forward to seeing Thrawn...I just hope it isn't a "last ten minutes of the last episode" sort of deal...

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 26 August 2023, 21:01:42 »
I too watched the last couple episodes of Ashoka and found I really liked it. I'm hoping for a Rex cameo...
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #116 on: 26 August 2023, 23:39:35 »
I tired watching the first episode with an open mind, but it was so badly written and had plotholes the size of multiple Deathstars.  :huh:

- A New Republic ship carrying an important prisoner suddenly encounters an Imperial shuttle and the captain foolishly decides to "call their bluff" even though he knew it was suspicious by allowing it to land onboard? WTF? Why didn't he just blast them out of space?

- This same idiot captain decides to greet the strangers (who are obviously Sith since they wear dark cloaks and have visible lightsabers on their belts) with a squad of his men, one of which is a Mon Calamari that has webbed hands and cant even grip the blaster on his belt.

- The captain then walks up right next to the Sith guy like an idiot. He's heard of the Jedi, and knows what they can do, but is soo stoopid he does this. I cant think of a worse writing than this entire first scene.

- And then Ray Stevenson (the only good actor who happens to be wasted in this role) just walks straight down the corridor waving his lightsaber around and manages to deflect every single blast as these bolts come in from different directions, which could only mean that the guards were aiming specifically for his orange lightsaber, and not at him.

- The star map that contains Thrawn's location is deep inside some thousand year old forgotten temple. If this temple is so old, would that mean Thrawn never moved for hundreds of years and stayed in the same planet all this time?

- And then towards the end, the Jedi girl and the Sith girl have a duel, and the Jedi gets stabbed by a lightsaber... and survives! Why do all the women who gets stabbed by lightsabers survive? It seems the only ones who died via lightsaber throughout this entire franchise was Qui Gon, Han Solo and Obi Wan.

- The Sith girl wins the fight, and then inexplicably just walks away without making sure Jedi girl is really dead. WTF?

- Why even bother to fight with a lightsaber if youre up against chicks since they survive each and every time?
« Last Edit: 26 August 2023, 23:45:54 by Triptych »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 27 August 2023, 00:58:56 »
For me, 5 minutes in,  while the provisional captain is watching the security detail and captain getting killed, I'm like "Seal and secure hanger bay access and vent the hanger!" 

I tired watching the first episode with an open mind, but it was so badly written and had plotholes the size of multiple Deathstars.  :huh:

- A New Republic ship carrying an important prisoner suddenly encounters an Imperial shuttle and the captain foolishly decides to "call their bluff" even though he knew it was suspicious by allowing it to land onboard? WTF? Why didn't he just blast them out of space?

- This same idiot captain decides to greet the strangers (who are obviously Sith since they wear dark cloaks and have visible lightsabers on their belts) with a squad of his men, one of which is a Mon Calamari that has webbed hands and cant even grip the blaster on his belt.

- The captain then walks up right next to the Sith guy like an idiot. He's heard of the Jedi, and knows what they can do, but is soo stoopid he does this. I cant think of a worse writing than this entire first scene.

- And then Ray Stevenson (the only good actor who happens to be wasted in this role) just walks straight down the corridor waving his lightsaber around and manages to deflect every single blast as these bolts come in from different directions, which could only mean that the guards were aiming specifically for his orange lightsaber, and not at him.

- The star map that contains Thrawn's location is deep inside some thousand year old forgotten temple. If this temple is so old, would that mean Thrawn never moved for hundreds of years and stayed in the same planet all this time?

- And then towards the end, the Jedi girl and the Sith girl have a duel, and the Jedi gets stabbed by a lightsaber... and survives! Why do all the women who gets stabbed by lightsabers survive? It seems the only ones who died via lightsaber throughout this entire franchise was Qui Gon, Han Solo and Obi Wan.

- The Sith girl wins the fight, and then inexplicably just walks away without making sure Jedi girl is really dead. WTF?

- Why even bother to fight with a lightsaber if youre up against chicks since they survive each and every time?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 27 August 2023, 02:26:12 »
As far as lightsaber stabbing goes.. Cal Kestis survived a stabbing too.

The big thing everyone keeps ignoring when they complain about it is location..
Sabine was through the lower right side of the chest, right through the liver and upper large intestine. With cauterization, survivable long enough to get to medical care. Which she got immediately, with ahsoka having medical stuff on her ship and then flying sabine to the hospital.
Qui gon jinn was stabbed just under the sternum, angled upwards. Right into the heart. It would have flash boiled the blood in the lower chambers and literally exploded it. That he lasted long enough to get out a few last words was practically a miracle.
So not a plothole.

As for the prison ship captain.. yeah the guy was arrogant and could have handled things better, but given there is a new jedi order in the new republic, i suspect he though the potential for them to be actual pre-imperial jedi now coming out of hiding warranted investigation. His biggest flaw was he underestimated the capability of the people who came aboard.. but few people even before the empire knew how dangerous a jedi could be, and the captain clearly thought he was dealing with some imperial officers in cosplay, not actual force users

And the star map gets some context in ep2.. its not to Thrawn specifically, but a map of routes between the local galaxies, and the dathomir lady has had visions that one of those galaxies is where thrawn ended up.
Personally i find the ship she's building for the trip interesting.. its a giant hyperspace ring, like was used for fighters in the clone wars. At first i didn't know why she'd do a ring much less one that scale, but then it occured ro me.. Thrawn didn't dissappear alone. He vanished alongside the entire Seventh Fleet, a force of at least 31 star destroyers, a dozen of Arquitens-class cruisers and gozanti patrol cruisers, amd at least four dreadnought heavy cruisers. (Per wookieepedia). And hyperdrive rings are used to carry smaller vessels through hyperspace. She's building a supership nthat can haul back a substantial portion of Thrawn's former fleet once they've found him.
[./spoiler].
« Last Edit: 27 August 2023, 02:41:24 by glitterboy2098 »

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #119 on: 27 August 2023, 08:42:49 »
For me, 5 minutes in,  while the provisional captain is watching the security detail and captain getting killed, I'm like "Seal and secure hanger bay access and vent the hanger!" 
Honestly, anything you would have thought of would have been better than what was shown. I think Dave Filoni thought he was writing the sequel to Spaceballs. All it needed was a laugh track.