Author Topic: MechWarrior: Destiny  (Read 128243 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: MechWarrior: Destiny
« Reply #1020 on: 17 June 2020, 15:33:53 »
yes

though this was not a promised exclusive and was already well on the way before the KS - participation got us access to the beta and feedback process.

now, if the wave 1 mechs start showing up in retail before the backers get them, that's a super bad look.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2020, 15:37:23 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1021 on: 17 June 2020, 15:41:02 »
I would have loved a second beta phase to look through how things got revised and offer additional feedback before it got released but I guess it is a bit late for that now.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1022 on: 17 June 2020, 15:45:11 »
I would have loved a second beta phase to look through how things got revised and offer additional feedback before it got released but I guess it is a bit late for that now.

The Combat Manual only had 1 beta run for feedback and fin tuning so this was on par. Unless you just wanted a second bit at the apple, no real reason to hold up the actual production short of the whole thing being a train wreck. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1023 on: 17 June 2020, 15:46:25 »
i didn't get a chance to look closely at the beta but it appears on the surface that no radical changes were made (a few sections shifted around). the page count discrepancy between the two is mostly due to the addition of the index in the retail release. unsure how much testing was needed for what mostly seems to qualify as "adjustments"

can anyone with knowledge comment on the changes? maybe there's more going on under the hood

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1024 on: 17 June 2020, 17:31:43 »
The layout alone was so terrible that yeah to me it needed a second beta phase with all the other little tidbits that others found on top of that.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #1025 on: 17 June 2020, 17:40:04 »
I hadn't been following the development of this game system, so I'm not sure if this has been covered elsewhere already; but going forward, are there plans to cover alternate eras and factions in "companion" volumes, or would this material be put into future sourcebooks the way that A Time of War material has been since that game system was introduced?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1026 on: 17 June 2020, 17:44:18 »
The layout alone was so terrible that yeah to me it needed a second beta phase with all the other little tidbits that others found on top of that.

that's fair. i haven't done a side by side comparison to see how layout was affected.

I hadn't been following the development of this game system, so I'm not sure if this has been covered elsewhere already; but going forward, are there plans to cover alternate eras and factions in "companion" volumes, or would this material be put into future sourcebooks the way that A Time of War material has been since that game system was introduced?

sales probably has a lot to do with that. it could range from "we'll never speak of this again" to "stand-alone books." i would imagine any destiny-focused era expansions would be PDF only

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1027 on: 17 June 2020, 18:24:24 »
*nod*

As much as my tastes do not mesh with Cue based systems I actually do hope MW:D succeeds.  Because that would be a clear indication there is a market for the RPG aspect of Battletech and well AToW does need some revising before it can properly serve that need in ways MW:D isn't designed to.

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1028 on: 17 June 2020, 23:05:10 »

In an early pre-beta interview I think Brent from CGL was saying it might want a Clan companion book, but perhaps the Clan appendix it now has covers off that idea. Other than that they have talked about both Destiny and ATOW being supported with material in future sourcebooks, so that is presumably the normal way it will get extra material, rather than standalone Destiny products.

For example I imagine future Touring the Stars, Turning Point etc type products might get some Destiny stuff going forward.

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1029 on: 18 June 2020, 11:19:28 »
I like the slight changes they made and the layout is much improved.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1030 on: 18 June 2020, 11:20:43 »
a quick readthrough gives me a lot of FATE vibes

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1031 on: 18 June 2020, 12:09:50 »
now, if the wave 1 mechs start showing up in retail before the backers get them, that's a super bad look.

I have no problem with the retailers who backed the kickstarter getting their stuff on sale before I get my stuff. In fact, I think they should be able to.

I would have an issue if it gets through the distribution chain before I get my mitts on the new shinys.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1032 on: 18 June 2020, 12:45:57 »
the retail tier isn't one i had considered. yeah, that's cool.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1033 on: 18 June 2020, 15:58:26 »
So on the FB kickstarter page someone has posted a link to down load the sheets for Mechwarrior Destiny
https://www.everythingbattletech.com/forum?p=post%2Frecord-sheets-10576082%3Fpid%3D1311860029%26random%3D30864%26fbclid%3DIwAR2N7cd0padRuHS3oIXqWz9gxneJWXd5IZZPHqm5Q_oIVOxRAnF-9NyFHIQ
Are these the official sheets from Catalyst?

I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1034 on: 18 June 2020, 16:04:24 »
they lack any copyright info that's on almost everything

the sheets are now up on the downloads page and appear to be the same

https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/CAT35185RS_MechWarrior-Destiny-Character-Sheet-Blanks.pdf

« Last Edit: 18 June 2020, 16:08:59 by Sartris »

SteelShrike

• Private
« Reply #1035 on: 18 June 2020, 20:04:50 »
a quick readthrough gives me a lot of FATE vibes

This is actually exactly what excited me about it in the first place. After watching a group play FATE on YouTube, I became a huge fan of that style of roleplaying. It rewards people for approaching obstacles not in the most mechanically optimal way, but in the way that's most in character.

I understand the complaints about the round-robin style of GMing that Destiny presents by default. But it's totally possible to play it like a FATE game with a standard GM that limits the power players have over encounters and NPCs, and that's what I've been looking forward to. There's even an optional rule for a more standard GM experience in the book.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2020, 20:07:44 by SteelShrike »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1036 on: 18 June 2020, 20:13:12 »
Yeah it’s cool with me since I own basically all of the fate books  ;D

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1037 on: 18 June 2020, 23:26:51 »
Are these the official sheets from Catalyst?
They’re on the downloads page. They shouldn’t be redistributed but instead the link to the page should be distributed. The question you asked just underlines that.
(I know that’s not your page and you didn’t post them. I’m just saying.)
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register