Author Topic: 25th Arcturan Guards Company  (Read 687 times)

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
25th Arcturan Guards Company
« on: 11 May 2020, 00:30:00 »
Company of 25th Arcturan Guards inspired by the Starter Book Fist and Falcon https://imgur.com/a/pYVDtNC

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: 25th Arcturan Guards Company
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2020, 01:41:02 »
Like I mentioned before, I love your whites. Walk me through how you did them, please?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jwt708

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2020, 06:37:39 »
They look good and I would be interested in how you did them as well.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 11:38:37 »
 :thumbsup:

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 12:17:07 »
I'd be more than happy to. I took inspiration from this Arcturan Guards Scarabus mini by Jalphoenix: http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/3404/scarabus-scb-9a

First I spray primed the Mechs in Light Grey from Vallejo. Then I used Vallejo Model Color Sky Grey to cover any areas missed by the spray primer.
With the base coat done I did the metal bits in Vallejo Model Color Gunmetal Grey. After that I used Black paint pens to do the cockpits and blackline any grooves or recesses or panel lines.
After that a used water to really thin down Vallejo Model Color Cold White to basically white wash the Mechs mostly just covering the upper surfaces and raised areas so that most of the Grey showed through, but mostly toning down the blacklining so it isn't quite so dark and stark. I don't have a ratio of paint to water, I just added drops of paint to the water in my palette until it got to the consistency one would use for a wash. I went back with the Sky Grey, after the whitewash dried, on larger panels and lower surfaces if I felt the whitewash covered up too much of the Grey.
After that I used the Cold White and my smallest brush to do a highlight of raised surfaces, tops of heads and shoulders and along any panel edges or sharp edges. Then I touched up any areas where the white covered the gunmetal.
The Barghest did not receive a whitewash, because the grooves and lines on it are too small to blackline. So it just got a dry brush of Cold White on its top surfaces.
So the Mechs are actually probably more Sky Grey than White. Especially the lower you go on the Mech and on the undersides of everything.
Also, I am glad I went with Cold White over a brighter white, because it almost blends in with the Grey making for a more subtle effect, so I didn't have to be afraid of doing stark lines of white when I did the highlighting.
It did take me a while, but part of that was experimenting and figuring out how to handle the whitewash.
Edit: After everything was painted I used decals from FPG to do the Lyran Alliance and Arcturan Guard symbols on the upper thighs of the Mechs.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2020, 12:22:36 by Guardian11 »

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2020, 12:27:49 »
They look great, he white scheme really makes them stand out. Love it.