Author Topic: Crimson Skies - Is it still around?  (Read 1349 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Crimson Skies - Is it still around?
« on: 02 July 2020, 11:49:46 »
I was watching old Garbage rockband video name "Special" which basically looks like it's play on Crimson Skies.  I didn't pay alot of it in the day.  I did get play it on the XBox which was fun.

Has there been any talk from anyone working on the property at all?

P.S. Video from Garbadge was almost dead on to the them except it was set in year 3030 (not the 1920-1930s).  Given how Shirley Manson strikes me how Natasha Kerensky would look like if she was in the setting. It just makes it more appealing to me, its crazy the links to FASA/Battletech and Crimson Skies is to the game.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Crimson Skies - Is it still around?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2020, 16:15:18 »
Interesting video  now I want to see the next part? 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2020, 16:44:08 »
To my knowledge- and there's a LOT of people who would know better than I- Crimson Skies isn't in publication in any form, video or tabletop or otherwise, at the moment. I'm not sure who owns the rights at this point- it's a pity, because it's a really fun setting to play with, and the tabletop game (the original one, not the Clix one, which I never tried) was a blast.

I DO know that the CS Xbox game (High Road To Revenge, for the original Xbox) is backward-compatible on the Xbox One, if you need your fix sometime.

"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2020, 16:55:39 »
Since wizkids made a game for it, I'd assume Topps still has the rights.

The clix game had an interesting movement mechanic, but was a bit too fiddly to deal with all those hex tiles.  Would be interesting to see come back with something like X-wing's template moving.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2020, 16:57:45 »
Since wizkids made a game for it, I'd assume Topps still has the rights.

The clix game had an interesting movement mechanic, but was a bit too fiddly to deal with all those hex tiles.  Would be interesting to see come back with something like X-wing's template moving.

...I would play the living hell out of that.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2020, 17:01:34 »
...I would play the living hell out of that.

If I remember correctly, Fantasy flight doesn't own the rights to the mechanic, they license it from some other company.  So it's not entirely impossible for someone with the Crimson Sky rights to do the same.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2020, 17:57:51 »
This has been awhile, but back when Jordan Weisman started Smith & Tinker he stated he had plans for Crimson Skies. Of course that's been a few years and nothing has materialized.

As for who owns the rights to the IP, that would still be Microsoft. Interestingly it seems they renewed the trademark on video games a few years ago (but no other media).

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2020, 18:15:25 »
This has been awhile, but back when Jordan Weisman started Smith & Tinker he stated he had plans for Crimson Skies. Of course that's been a few years and nothing has materialized.

As for who owns the rights to the IP, that would still be Microsoft. Interestingly it seems they renewed the trademark on video games a few years ago (but no other media).

I wouldn't count on Smith & Tinker.  They closed up shop in 2012. 

I think Microsoft only ever had electric rights for any of the old FASA stuff.   

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2020, 19:58:24 »
I wouldn't count on Smith & Tinker.  They closed up shop in 2012. 

I think Microsoft only ever had electric rights for any of the old FASA stuff.   

Oh I know, that was just the last time I remember Mr. Weisman mentioning anything at the property. Who knows if he still has any interest in still doing anything with the universe.

And Crimson Skies is a bit of an oddity in that unlike all of the other FASA IPs, Microsoft actually owns the entire IP not just the electronic rights. Something to do with them buying out FASA Studio, which was a seperate entity from FASA Corp.
From what I understand, Crimson Skies was always meant to be a video game (the board game was just a stop gap), so it was always owned by FASA Studio. So when Microsoft bought FASA Studio they weren't just buying the electronic rights (like they did with most of the IPs from FASA Corp) but the entire IP itself.
Could be mistaken, but that's how I understand it to be.

All that said...I'd loooooove to see a new Crimson Skies game. Video or tabletop.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2020, 20:07:02 »
Damn, if that's the case, I doubt we'll be seeing it on tables any time soon.  xp

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2020, 21:29:40 »
I hope someone does something with the property. It's a shame.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2020, 00:49:16 »
Oh I know, that was just the last time I remember Mr. Weisman mentioning anything at the property. Who knows if he still has any interest in still doing anything with the universe.

And Crimson Skies is a bit of an oddity in that unlike all of the other FASA IPs, Microsoft actually owns the entire IP not just the electronic rights. Something to do with them buying out FASA Studio, which was a seperate entity from FASA Corp.
From what I understand, Crimson Skies was always meant to be a video game (the board game was just a stop gap), so it was always owned by FASA Studio. So when Microsoft bought FASA Studio they weren't just buying the electronic rights (like they did with most of the IPs from FASA Corp) but the entire IP itself.
Could be mistaken, but that's how I understand it to be.

All that said...I'd loooooove to see a new Crimson Skies game. Video or tabletop.
I beleive you are right that it owned by Microsoft...  or at least at 1 point that was the rumor I remember too
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register