Author Topic: 2012-04-13 Fourth Form [Jason Schmetzer]  (Read 3404 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2012-04-13 Fourth Form [Jason Schmetzer]
« on: 13 April 2012, 08:37:46 »
We have done our duty hereā€”the Dragon knows we have.

When the Smoke Jaguar Clan comes to claim the world Almunge from the Draconis Combine, no one stands against them but the cadets of the Almunge Infantry Academy... but can infantry--cadets,even--stand against Clansmen?

StreakingMist

• Private
Re: 2012-04-13 Fourth Form [Jason Schmetzer]
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2012, 16:29:40 »
I very much enjoyed this story. There obviously aren't a whole lot of stories that feature the Smoke Jaguars, and I like it when they aren't always portrayed as clear-cut evil.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2012, 18:30:25 »
I thought it did a particularly good job making what's now old hat to us (a-pods, etc) seem new and wondrous and frightening.

I also really felt the anguish of the Kuritan commander.  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2012, 10:15:28 »
A great story. I liked the description of infantry combat vs. mechs and especially stuff like AMS or A-Pods.  :)
A very good read. Thanks a lot!  O0
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2012, 13:48:08 »
I thought it did a particularly good job making what's now old hat to us (a-pods, etc) seem new and wondrous and frightening.
This.

I really liked this story. Together with Ice Storm, my appreciation of Jason S's writing went up a notch.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2012, 10:43:29 »
I thought this was a terrific story. Not only were the battle scenes well-written (it really captured the terror of infantry fighting 'Mechs and made the Koshi seem extra-deadly); but the characterization of both the protagonist and the Smoke Jaguar commander were excellent.

I wish more authors in the past made an effort like Mr. Schmetzer did to portray the Jaguars as intelligent,  complex characters instead of the constant stereotype of "stupid, sadistic thugs in Battlemechs" that characterized them through the 1990s. I always thought that the Combine-Jaguar conflict could have been explored in really interesting ways in fiction by contrasting two sides in a war both who follow very different rigid, harsh codes of honor. "Fourth Form" succeeds admirably in this.

I hope Mr. Schmetzer will write more fiction about the Jaguars in the future. Thank you for taking a faction that has been used as "straw men" villains for too long and giving them some depth and sympathy.

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2012, 16:20:52 »
I am a huge fan of Ice Storm Part I. Once I realized where I could read more from this author, I purchased a fiction subscription.

Hope to read more from this author. I actually hope they let him write a full length novel about the clans...

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2012, 07:45:21 »
As a completely unapologetic fan of the Clans, let me say that I thought this was a great story.

Other than what other people have said about this one, I would say that one of the best aspects is Schmetzer's writing is that he really brings some of the horrifying and cool aspects of these weapon systems to life. He sort of did the same thing with the HAG 20 in Ice Storm Part I. 

It's also nice to see a portrayal of the Clans that doesn't make them out to be Klingon derivatives.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2012, 08:46:04 »
Hope to read more from this author. I actually hope they let him write a full length novel about the clans...
You do realize that Jason Schmetzer is the BattleCorps editor, do you?    :)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2012, 14:33:55 »
 I just recently bought a subscription so no, but I do now.