Author Topic: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)  (Read 45162 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)
« Reply #60 on: 03 November 2016, 15:24:51 »
For UK/Ireland folks, series 1 has just been added to Netflix.  And it's got their logo on the thumbnail, so there's a good chance they'll be adding series 2 as it airs in the US, like they do for Better Call Saul, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and a bunch of other shows they have the rights to here.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #61 on: 03 November 2016, 16:57:25 »
Saw that when I logged on tonight finally get a proper look at it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #62 on: 03 November 2016, 17:03:14 »
They also added Cowboy Bebop today :D

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #63 on: 16 December 2016, 17:48:39 »
Two Adam Savage/Expanse jams hit YouTube today.

First, a making of for the show in general:

https://youtu.be/p8vR2FB1PGM

and on his YouTube channel, an interview with Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFEnQzvRe9Y

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #64 on: 16 December 2016, 22:29:56 »
Excellent show. I binged watched it a few weeks back. I loved the ode to science with their realistic portrayals of the effects of gravity and space physics.  O0

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 18 December 2016, 22:26:46 »
SyFy getting back to Sci Fi?!?!?  whats next?  History Channel channel actually doing something history related?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #66 on: 18 December 2016, 22:40:58 »
Excellent show. I binged watched it a few weeks back. I loved the ode to science with their realistic portrayals of the effects of gravity and space physics.  O0
more realistic seeming at least. stealth in space is a rather improbable thing, especially on ships using constant thrust to get around. and the accelerations quoted when they open up are rather absurd. no amount of drugs would keep you from being turned to paste in a 500g burn for example. and the railguns the badguys used in that fight against the donnager were highly unrealistic in how cleanly they punched through the ship.. it made for a dramatic scene as they did damage control to avoid the air escaping, but frankly that room would have been filled with metal confetti, assuming it punched that deep in the first place.

i suspect the original novel series had the same flaws as well, and the show does fairly well otherwise, so still a good show for illustrating you can have verisimilitude and drama together. though the weird illness thing has me scratching my head, hopeful we'll learn more about it in season 2

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #67 on: 28 December 2016, 14:36:52 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwTb8IGKmUg

Huh. Bobbie already. Things are getting jumbled up a bit... hopefully it all continues to work.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #68 on: 28 December 2016, 14:51:34 »
My prediction is that they're going to mix in the start of Prax and Bobbie's storylines in with the back chunk of Leviathan Wakes over the course of the first 4 or so episodes, and then power through to the end of Caliban's War, closing on the last line of the book.  It helps that series 2 is going to be 12 episodes instead of 10.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #69 on: 04 February 2017, 00:51:21 »
Just watched the first two episodes of the second season ("Safe" and "Doors &  Corners")...

Wow. Just wow. Things are really ramping up.
Haven't read the books, but I'm really loving this show. The mystery plus the high politics. It's been awhile since I've gotten this much into a show.

(Really torn on who's story I'm into more: Miller's or Avasarala (who seems to be getting more screen time second season...)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Meridian

• Recruit
  • Steady tides be with you!
    • Aqualith Media
« Reply #70 on: 04 February 2017, 01:57:00 »
Just finished S1 a few days ago. Really enjoyed it.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 04 February 2017, 03:39:56 »
So, I've read a lot of hate for the actress playing Avasarala. Now, I haven't read the books, so I don't know how she compares...But personally I think she has one of the best performances of the whole series.  What do ya'll think?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #72 on: 04 February 2017, 04:02:36 »
I've only ever seen her praised!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 04 February 2017, 08:39:33 »
I think they'd have been hard pressed to find a better actress to play Avasarala. My only gripe is that she doesn't swear enough.

So far, I'm still liking the earlier inclusion of characters (for those who haven't read the books, Avasarala and Bobbie didn't appear until book 2). Their appearances make sense, and provide a little more backstory to those characters as well as depth to the series.

This is how you adapt a novel series to TV. Season 1 and 2 are going to be Book One, Leviathan Wakes. And with six (to date) books in the series, that leaves a LOT for the TV series.

Remember, doors and corners. That phrase carries great importance going forward.

Oh, and I miss Miller's hat. :(
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #74 on: 04 February 2017, 09:01:29 »
I think they'd have been hard pressed to find a better actress to play Avasarala. My only gripe is that she doesn't swear enough.

They've added hard swearing this year, but the sound track mutes when it happens.  Presumably they'll be uncensored on the home video releases (and given that Netflix outside the US aren't adding it till April, maybe there too).  They also blurred Dominique Tipper's breast during the sex scene.

This is how you adapt a novel series to TV. Season 1 and 2 are going to be Book One, Leviathan Wakes. And with six (to date) books in the series, that leaves a LOT for the TV series.

I wonder if they're going to stretch the rest of Leviathan Wakes out over 12 episodes - there's not a huge amount of material left in there to adapt, and they mentioned Ganymede in Adam Savage's set visit on Tested.  I suspect they're going to either start Caliban's War this year and possibly finish it by episode 12.  The last line of the book would be a great cliffhanger if they did that, especially given what goes down at the end of Leviathan Wakes.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #75 on: 07 February 2017, 11:50:19 »
more realistic seeming at least. stealth in space is a rather improbable thing, especially on ships using constant thrust to get around. and the accelerations quoted when they open up are rather absurd. no amount of drugs would keep you from being turned to paste in a 500g burn for example. and the railguns the badguys used in that fight against the donnager were highly unrealistic in how cleanly they punched through the ship.. it made for a dramatic scene as they did damage control to avoid the air escaping, but frankly that room would have been filled with metal confetti, assuming it punched that deep in the first place.

i suspect the original novel series had the same flaws as well, and the show does fairly well otherwise, so still a good show for illustrating you can have verisimilitude and drama together. though the weird illness thing has me scratching my head, hopeful we'll learn more about it in season 2
While I admit that the stealth ships were unrealistic I think the book explains it better- they did detect something, but there was so much space junk floating around they figured it was just part of the scenery until it was too late.

I thought the railgun scene was excellent- it illustrated that when a breach occurs, the air doesnt spontaneously fly out and depressurize everything all at once, it has to make its way out depending on the size of the hole. Perhaps the other rooms absorbed the shrapnel.

While it may have some minor flaws technical wise, I think its a step in the right direction as opposed to the usual space operas like Star Trek where every planet is 1G and breathable, and the aliens look like humans with added props on their heads and everyone speaks  English (yes, I know- the technobabble universal translator- but how do they lip synch to English though?) and all ships have gravity fields and shields that can somehow stop everything.  ;)
« Last Edit: 07 February 2017, 11:53:56 by Triptych »

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 17 February 2017, 23:51:20 »
Just watched the latest episode. (Godspeed). Gotta say, this season is getting better all the time.

And somehow...I didn't think things would be that easy...Bye bye Navoo...

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 24 February 2017, 23:40:47 »
So...episode 5 "Home"....whaaat...?  :o :o :o [watch]

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 24 February 2017, 23:44:37 »
That was the end of book one 'Leviathan Wakes.'

Just wait and see what happens on Venus  >:D

On to Ganymede, Prax, more Bobbi, and "We need to talk."

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 24 February 2017, 23:55:42 »
That was the end of book one 'Leviathan Wakes.'

Just wait and see what happens on Venus  >:D

On to Ganymede, Prax, more Bobbi, and "We need to talk."

Well, pretty much every episode this season I've been expecting Miller to buy the farm...he's lasted longer than I thought he would.  ;D

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 24 February 2017, 23:57:54 »
Well, pretty much every episode this season I've been expecting Miller to buy the farm...he's lasted longer than I thought he would.  ;D

Yes. Hehehehehe.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 25 February 2017, 00:18:23 »
So there is 4 novels in the series, with 2 more on the way? (Guess it's time to start reading)

Anything think there should be an Expanse RPG in the works?  :)

(Slightly off topic but has anyone here read the Virga series by Karl Schroeder? Been rereading them lately. It's a very interesting world.)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 25 February 2017, 00:23:44 »
So there is 4 novels in the series, with 2 more on the way? (Guess it's time to start reading)

Six completed, with an unknown number still coming. Leviathan Wakes. Caliban's War. Abaddon's Gate. Cibola Burn. Nemesis Games. Babylon's Ashes.

Anything think there should be an Expanse RPG in the works?  :)

Yaaaaaasssssssssss!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #83 on: 25 February 2017, 01:28:27 »
You guys know the Expanse started as an MMO pitch, and when it fell through Ty Franck turned it into a setting for D20 which he ran with friends, including Daniel Abraham, and the pair decided to turn it into a novel series?

What I'm saying is, there's already a sourcebook out there.

Also, this week's ep surpassed the source material for me.  The last scene or two got me in the feels in a way the book never did.

And next week we're going to get that Bobbie scene...

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #84 on: 11 March 2017, 14:11:32 »
Ok... I have never read the novels, and didn't see any of the show until the season 2 opener. It got my attention even though I only saw about 20 minutes of it. My wife and I watched season 1 on Netflix as quickly as possible and had to buy/rent S2E1 from Amazon to catch it, since it was off of SyFy.com by the time we made it that far. We just finished the remaining S2 episodes last night and are now caught up. Severe pain in the ass but totally worth it. It's a great series and I love the space/zero-g combat scenes. I might just have to get into the novels.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #85 on: 11 March 2017, 16:38:04 »
I might just have to get into the novels.

They're well worth it.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #86 on: 12 March 2017, 09:38:49 »
I'm glad I read the novels before the series, but the books and TV show are very complementary. Some of the hardest sci-fi I've seen on TV in a while.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 12 March 2017, 11:34:17 »
For everyone that has read the books...how closely do the characters match up between the two?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 12 March 2017, 13:21:40 »
Fairly closely. Sometimes how they got there is a little different, but the essentials of the characters are spot on.

I will say I expected Amos to look different. Same with Bobby. And obviously the Belters should be VERY different in appearance, but that would have been prohibitively expensive for the effects team.

Avasarala should swear more. She and Bobby both appear earlier than they do in the books, but it worked out well.

And in the books Miller kept his hat 'til the ... end.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #89 on: 12 March 2017, 15:47:29 »
Yeah, the show has the advantage of using the later books' background material for some of the less-fleshed out characters to inform their portrayal earlier on, while not revealing much of that information.  Wes Chatham rereads the Churn, which delves into Amos' personal history to get into character, but the only part of that which has made it to the screen is his conversation in the bar with Alex on Tycho in series 1.

Also, we get nice easter eggs like the Innaros faction getting mentioned this week.

Register