Author Topic: Opinions/feedback about some recent IWM sculpts  (Read 18217 times)

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
Re: Opinions/feedback about some recent IWM sculpts
« Reply #60 on: 15 November 2019, 10:46:53 »
I was planning on bashing an -8P with one of the lance pack plastics, and this new 8X is noticeably chunkier that that old model.  Not that it looks any bigger, just thicker in parts.  It might look a little weird to just slap a head on top of it.  Plus then you'd need to sculpt over or cut down the torso cockpit.

On the flip side, I'm now wondering how I want to bulk up the plastic model I have, seeing the proportions of the new metal fig.
TBH, the torso cockpit looks pretty much how like normal Quickdraw torso looks like anyway. I think if you just painted over it like the rest of the torso, it'd look just like paneling.

Though, maybe the original Quickdraw's goofy football head would look awkward on this more angular design.

Hmm...

Edit: wait a minute, isn't THIS an 8P? I mean the only difference it has the missiles in the torso that the 8X is missing, but the 8P has and i don't see the lift hoist of the 8X.
« Last Edit: 15 November 2019, 10:58:38 by Juodas Varnas »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #61 on: 15 November 2019, 10:56:27 »
You can probably find other heads that would work on that angular torso- right now I cannot think of any recent ones that are not connected to the torso.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #62 on: 25 November 2019, 13:57:44 »
Found a head that might work, the Centurion Omni has a separate head piece fyi.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #63 on: 25 November 2019, 14:38:44 »
Okay, some more new sculpts.

* Anzu. Nice overall; legs, hips, torso, shoulders, and options for 2 models in the lower arms. Plus missile pack with choice of missile port plates. Came together well - great fitting points. Only gripe - why cast separate legs, but have them more or less static? They're too heavy to easily mod into motion. I've taken advantage of a filled hex base to swing the legs a bit apart, and have firm contact via pushing them into the base filler. Either go one piece legs & hips, or bend the darned legs!

* Sarath. Ummmm. Lots of bits - two torso halves, then three pieces for the head. Fitting ain't great, so some fill needed. The legs - static pose! You're already going over a hex base, so why not give it a sense of motion! Based, it doesn't look too wonderful; hoping by the time I metallic the spikes it looks more imposing.

* Dasher II 3 - nice and simple. Legs and hips on base, torso, arms, head PPC - nice and simple. A bit big IMHO, but looks good and will inevitably be called Clamps.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #64 on: 25 November 2019, 15:42:22 »
Yeah, the Anzu is a nice sculpt but it felt like the torso was a bit too small in relation to the legs.  Then I looked closer at the art . . . and yeah, its a leggy brawler.  My agent fixed the little magnets on the gun arm for me so it can swap between RAC & Ultra.  Used it in one DA battle so far, but I would love to field it with my Regulan Hussars company again.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #65 on: 25 November 2019, 15:55:46 »
Well, it's with Fusiliers of Oriente for me, along with other loot reissue following the sack of re-regularisation of Regulus. ;)

How have you found the different versions in use? Mine - the RAC version - is assigned as bodyguard to a fast assault lance - Marauder II MAD-6M (ERPPCs), Emperpor EMP-6M2 (twin LGR), and Warhammer IIC 8 (HLL over Plasma Cannon). Two long range, two close range.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #66 on: 25 November 2019, 16:02:00 »
* Sarath. Ummmm. Lots of bits - two torso halves, then three pieces for the head. Fitting ain't great, so some fill needed. The legs - static pose! You're already going over a hex base, so why not give it a sense of motion! Based, it doesn't look too wonderful; hoping by the time I metallic the spikes it looks more imposing.

I just assume quads are going to be like this by default. flashbacks to the thunder fox.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #67 on: 25 November 2019, 16:17:26 »
I liked the Sarath once I figured out how to put it together.

But yeah, quads are incredibly difficult to do in non-static poses.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #68 on: 25 November 2019, 17:00:43 »
Well, it's with Fusiliers of Oriente for me, along with other loot reissue following the sack of re-regularisation of Regulus. ;)

How have you found the different versions in use? Mine - the RAC version - is assigned as bodyguard to a fast assault lance - Marauder II MAD-6M (ERPPCs), Emperpor EMP-6M2 (twin LGR), and Warhammer IIC 8 (HLL over Plasma Cannon). Two long range, two close range.

I only got to use the G60 on the table top, I do not remember what happened when I used the other variant in MM.  It was a great mech for the scenario we were playing which involved getting to location to scan information and get it back to your side of the map.  Each player took 5k inclusive of pilot skills . . . I do not remember what else I took with the Anzu that I think was 3/4 or 3/5- maybe 4/4, I know I took some mag clamp BA to drop off.  The Anzu rushed the objective at the mid-field, using the Level 3 building to interupt LOS to a fricking LRM Kraken that was plodding in that direction and leaped over the Level 1 walls around the compound.  The Anzu was chosen b/c it had the armor to absorb closing in with the objective- it also had TAG and one of the players who I knew was going to be there was a huge fan of Semi-G so I expected him to have LRMs (he was on other side, Hello Kraken & Viking!) which would give my team options.  So I stayed up against the objective, blocking the opposing side's scan attempts while setting up my own.  My side got several though most folks had to go through the south facing opening in the walls.  I took a LOT of damage to the torso by the time I pulled out with the scan information and went running for my side . . . I picked up a Ice Ferret H trying to knock out the Anzu to prevent it getting the information back.  The Ice Ferret got behind me and managed NOT to take out my XL while burning off some of the last bits of armor on the mech.  Ranged fire and the Anzu's own weapons put the Ice Ferret down by removing a leg IIRC, and it let my Anzu get to the uplink to send the information back to HQ.

Lots of comments about how it was still moving with all the open locations and remnants of armor, but it kept the opposing side from scoring as much.  Pretty sure the UAC/10 did not lock up . . . made me really like the design and I have wanted to play it more, we just have not done the era.
Colt Ward