Author Topic: TECHNICAL - ajax.googleapis.com on EVERY click  (Read 2391 times)

Wombat

• Captain
TECHNICAL - ajax.googleapis.com on EVERY click
« on: 20 October 2015, 18:52:33 »
When I load CBT. When I click on any of the boards or child boards. When I click on any link for any post. When I go to reply to any post, it takes me literally 3 minutes for my browser to load. Any browser, any machine, I can see the link trying to load with:

ajax.googleapis.com on EVERY click.  >:(

I realize this does not affect 99% of the posters on CBT, but those of us who live in China (where Google is blocked), this means that CBT is effectively slowed down to carrier pigeon speeds. CBT didn't use to do this until recently, and again while I realize this doesn't affect most everyone in the civilized world, it does make "getting my Battletech fix" somewhat difficult. And believe me, when you live in a foreign country, getting your Battletech fix is very important.
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
Re: TECHNICAL - ajax.googleapis.com on EVERY click
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2015, 10:08:04 »
Hmm... I will ask the site admins but... are you sure your computer is clean and/or your navigator is ok? 
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2015, 11:37:25 »
Can you alter your host file to have googleapis point back to your computer? It would make it time out much quicker.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2015, 13:42:06 »
The problem you're running into is that we serve jquery and a font through Google. However, it's a hosted library, so I'm not sure if China blocks those or not? IIRC, they may not? I'm sure someone will complain about servicing through Google's CDN, but it's efficient and fairly quick.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2015, 14:12:07 by Knightmare »
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2015, 15:06:34 »
I'm sure someone will complain about servicing through Google's CDN, but it's efficient and fairly quick.
Such a thing would be off topic and quickly result in a warning.
Maker of big things.

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2015, 15:18:53 »
Can you alter your host file to have googleapis point back to your computer? It would make it time out much quicker.

I'd considered this before on some of my Windoze boxes, but on my main rig (a Mac) no-can-do. Good idea though!

Hmm... I will ask the site admins but... are you sure your computer is clean and/or your navigator is ok?

Its definitely not my machine and/or my navigator. I've got five computers in the house (two Mac, three Windoze) and all of them will attempt to load ajax.googleapis.com on CBT. It varies from site-to-site, but some websites will attempt to load it and some won't. You probably don't notice it on your end. I don't either when I'm in America or even when I'm in Hong Kong (the Special Economic Zone of China). But in Mainland China, Google and Facebook are blocked. This means any Google service is also blocked. This means any website that uses any Google service or app, even for a second in 99% of the world, will hang/stall/and lag like crazy here in Mainland China. And honestly, thats about as much fun as an all-amish bachelor party.

The problem you're running into is that we serve jquery and a font through Google. However, it's a hosted library, so I'm not sure if China blocks those or not? IIRC, they may not? I'm sure someone will complain about servicing through Google's CDN, but it's efficient and fairly quick.

If it sounds, smells, or tastes like Google...its blocked. Cut off at the knees. Google does not exist in any form in China. They've banned it. No Google maps, search, even Google Play Store is non-existent here in China. You can still access it in Hong Kong, thankfully, but unless you've got a VPN; there is no escaping the Great Chinese Firewall. So any website serving jquery and fonts through Google, otherwise a fraction of a second check for most browsers in most of the known world, causes any browser on any machine using any operating system in China to twiddle its fingers until its failed; and then the rest of the site will load.

The only solutions I've seen thus far are either waiting about three minutes for ajax.googleapis.com to time-out, and/or using a VPN to launch CBT's website.

FYI - I'm not complaining about any policies of Google, CDNs, or internet blocks China puts into place; I'm merely reporting a technical aspect that hampers my ability to post on these, my favorite forums, as a result of CBT causing ajax.googleapis.com to launch.

« Last Edit: 21 October 2015, 15:21:54 by Wombat »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2015, 16:05:57 »
I'd considered [editing the hosts file] before on some of my Windoze boxes, but on my main rig (a Mac) no-can-do.

Why not?

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2015, 16:20:34 »
Why not?

...and I just learned something new.  :P  Is it too late to wave my hands and, in a bad Babylon 5 Zathras voice, claim "you never heard that"?

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2015, 17:16:03 »
FYI - I'm not complaining about any policies of Google, CDNs, or internet blocks China puts into place; I'm merely reporting a technical aspect that hampers my ability to post on these, my favorite forums, as a result of CBT causing ajax.googleapis.com to launch.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought to write a suitable service replacement for Chinese IPs. I'll look into it.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2015, 19:41:14 »
To be honest, I hadn't even thought to write a suitable service replacement for Chinese IPs. I'll look into it.

Cool!  :)

Register