Author Topic: IWM mechs / minis... The Review!  (Read 3649 times)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
IWM mechs / minis... The Review!
« on: 16 February 2011, 03:17:04 »
Ok, being new to the world of CBT minis I gotta tell you that I am VERY happy with my order!

Today I worked on, and assembled, a Centurion and a Warhammer IIC. From start to primer both are done.

First of all! The mechs are different sizes! AWESOMENESS!!!!!! Seeing the Warhammer dwarf the Centurion is kinda bad ass and I can't wait to see it on the playing field once I have them all painted and decals are done.

Next, the mechs themselves are great! I had very few mold lines to work with and whatever the actual composition of the pewter / tin was such that it made removing those lines that I did have a snap (with the proper tools). In fact I only found one small defect on the Warhammer IIC and nothing on the Centurion (which has amazing detail for something so small).

The only downside is some of the mechs come in a bazillion pieces (I haven't gotten to those yet) and there are no installation instructions but if you go to CSO you can piece together what goes where (as I did with the Warhammer IIC hip/rib pieces).

So, if you are looking to up your game and really "bring it" consider these models / minis cause I gotta tell ya the weight, feel and detail/look is second to none!

Cheers,
Michael AKA OverKill
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
Re: IWM mechs / minis... The Review!
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2011, 09:28:07 »
so I take it this is your first order with IWM?  and you picked two of my favorite minis to boot!

congratulations on the additions to your family
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2011, 10:50:57 »
Excellent pick for your first two. Mine were the Black Lanner (just before is was archived) and the Blood Asp, 2nd Sculpt. If you can avoid the 2nd sculpt, do so. Although it looks sweet, it is a pain to build, and I had to fight with it the whole time. I've experienced the same thing with the reseen Warhammer, and I hear many of the other reseen IS 'Mechs are the same.

The best luck I've had assembling a mini was with the plastic Thor that will come with the new intro box set. The best pewter mini I've had so far, as far as assembly and mold lines go, was my Black Lanner. Granted, I don't own as many minis as most of the guys here.

I hope to see you post your minis when you're done with them.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2011, 11:36:47 »
if your gonna buy a warhammer go for the 8K model, the legs are much easier to deal with.

you can suppliment with these parts and a little drilling

http://www.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2127

http://www.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2125
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2011, 15:25:01 »
I'm happy with IWM also, my third order will be arriving today, and i ordered my stuff saturday [rockon]

i will be getting an Avatar, BattleMaster, and a Shadow Hawk IIC, along with a squad of Phalanx Armor

whiteshadowzo

• Master Sergeant
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2011, 13:07:28 »
Just received my first IWM order today. Along with 8 bases:

Atlas 20-942 Re-sculpt
 Longbow 20-220
 Warhammer WHM-4L/WHM-9S
 Orion Re-sculpt
 Bushwacker
 Uziel
 Centurion
 Raven

I'm glad I managed to pick out a variety of mechs that come in different amounts of pieces (2-11). Aside from the bits of flash and a few nubs that need filing the casts look great to me. I'll have to do my best to ensure I'm filing mold lines and not panel lines though  #P

it's a bit comforting knowing that to fire we're a same color- flammable. ~Orin J.

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2011, 06:49:52 »
I've been nothing but satisfied with my IWM orders-one dozen 'Mechs over the last month.  Each order was filled & shipped very quickly (even the order with the archived Jinggau arrived less than a week after I'd ordered it), and the model quality was excellent.

Most of the models went together very easily.  The Catapult & Locust I had a few issues with, but they came together eventually.

Extremely happy customer here.

Register