Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: BattleTech Beginner Box and BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat  (Read 104328 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Was there an iron wind metals sculpt between the original Ral Partha versions and the current ones?

Because I think the Summoner at least is significantly larger in the new sculpt.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
The Thor, Vulture, Black Hawk, Ryoken, Man O War, and light omnis are all noticably different in size between the originals and the resculpts.

As are the Masakari, Gladiator, and Daishi but they're not in the set.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Still work, to be honest, I cannot tell much of a size difference between the Timberwolves . . .

As far as I know they are all 75 tons.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
As far as I know they are all 75 tons.

And as far as I know, tons aren't an expression of height, width, length, or volume.   :P
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
And as far as I know, tons aren't an expression of height, width, length, or volume.   :P

There's a "YOUR MOMMA" joke in there somewhere I'm sure ;)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
There's a "YOUR MOMMA" joke in there somewhere I'm sure ;)

*Yo Momma

i only get annoyed by scale discrepancies in fringe cases like the targe. i also excluded the JagerMech III from my Davion FCCW company because it was so ill-proportioned next to the rest (and also because it's a jagermech III).

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Anyone else in the US still waiting for their copy of GoAC?

Ordered both my Beginners Box and A Game of Armor Combat from my neighborhood game shop. Got my copy of the Beginners Box but they still haven't gave me a ETA on my copy of GoAC.

There are other game places I can go to buy the box but these guys have always been good to me and I rather give them the money. Just need to know if there is a still a wait in distribution or if my order with them was somehow mismanaged before I take my business elsewhere to get my BT fix. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sargon

• Recruit
Anyone else in the US still waiting for their copy of GoAC?

Ordered both my Beginners Box and A Game of Armor Combat from my neighborhood game shop. Got my copy of the Beginners Box but they still haven't gave me a ETA on my copy of GoAC.
I'm in the exact same situation.  I pre-ordered both from the same shop and received the Beginners Box right when it was released, but the store still has no ETA on A Game of Armored Combat.  I have the same questions you do...  It seems that I have read about other stores getting stock at various times, so it makes me wonder why my order doesn't get fulfilled.

iduno

• Recruit
I think half of the pre-ordered beginner sets and zero of the full game arrived at my FLGS.

I'm not certain what the point of having pre-orders is if you can't fulfill them. Then again, it's Catalyst. They're nothing if not late and disappointing.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
I think half of the pre-ordered beginner sets and zero of the full game arrived at my FLGS.

I'm not certain what the point of having pre-orders is if you can't fulfill them. Then again, it's Catalyst. They're nothing if not late and disappointing.

Sorry, that is not Catalyst but either your store or the distributor.  Catalyst can be pointed at if say the container was impounded b/c of needing to pay port fees or whatever.  But the ship dropped off the container and it went to the warehouses.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Sorry, that is not Catalyst but either your store or the distributor.  Catalyst can be pointed at if say the container was impounded b/c of needing to pay port fees or whatever.  But the ship dropped off the container and it went to the warehouses.

Pre-order at FLGS != manufacturer pre-order.  It just means that the store placed an order for it with their distributor over and above their normal order.  It is up to the distributor to fulfill that.  At that point it is out of CGL's hands (other than manufacturing more if they are selling out).
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Teulisch

• Private
I picked up both boxes recently myself, from a couple of different local game stores. apparently they are popular, and dont stay on the shelves for long. which makes the complete lack of any mechs on store shelves a bit confusing, there isnt anywhere near me that i know of that carries the iron wind metal minis. the place i bought all my old ral partha lead from went out of business back in 2008.

I kind of want to get some more tanks, but the only option seems to be ordering directly from IWM. I wish they would make a box with plastic tanks...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
My local store's main distributor recently dropped IWM from what they carry by what we have been told.  We are trying to work with the store to get them to carry IWM, but I am not sure how that is going to happen.  You might be in the same situation.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Something happened last summer that caused one of the major distributors in the US to stop carrying IWM products completely.  So far I haven't been able to get any information about what's been going on or whether or not it's likely to get fixed any time in the near future.

But that's not relevant to Catalyst.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Something happened last summer that caused one of the major distributors in the US to stop carrying IWM products completely.  So far I haven't been able to get any information about what's been going on or whether or not it's likely to get fixed any time in the near future.

But that's not relevant to Catalyst.

Which distributor?
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Diamond, I think, but I'm not certain.  I'd have to check and get back to you.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
I was looking through Alliance's 2019 catalog and their IWM section was about 20 items.

turned to the CGL page. they seem to have the entire BT catalog listed including some stuff that was never released like the Alpha Strike box and the AS card sets, and items that haven't been available from anywhere for years like the old core rulebook cardstock kits so that can't be accurate.

despite that, I saw this and I HAVE QUESTIONS

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
I was looking through Alliance's 2019 catalog and their IWM section was about 20 items.

turned to the CGL page. they seem to have the entire BT catalog listed including some stuff that was never released like the Alpha Strike box and the AS card sets, and items that haven't been available from anywhere for years like the old core rulebook cardstock kits so that can't be accurate.

Hunh, not a catalyst number. I think there was a typo.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
I was wrong, it was Alliance that my local store uses.  Store owner can't get an explanation for why it's not available.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
I’ll screencap the iwm page in the alliance catalog when I get back to my computer, but what you can get from them is very meager. It’s mostly relegated to the past few years of new releases (all of the catalog numbers are the 200-5XXX types).

Unsure what that means but my flgs also uses alliance and there are exactly zero BT minis there these  days

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
I’ll screencap the iwm page in the alliance catalog when I get back to my computer, but what you can get from them is very meager. It’s mostly relegated to the past few years of new releases (all of the catalog numbers are the 200-5XXX types).

Unsure what that means but my flgs also uses alliance and there are exactly zero BT minis there these  days

I'd be interested in that list as well, as I think that's who my FLGS uses and they also have a hard time getting IWM stuff I try to order.

Thanks,

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
alliance 2019 catalog pg 122. the catalog has some stuff in bold, some in regular type, and some in italics. at no point does it attempt to explain the difference that i could find. fairly certain bold = new and/or coming soon. But I remember this being much, much more robust ten years ago the last time i had to use one of their catalogs.

you know what. now that i'm looking at these, there hasn't been anything added for a couple years. this must be overstock they have left.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2019, 22:08:03 by Sartris »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Yeah, the newest things on that list are the Xanthos and Hawkwolf, and those are both from 1st quarter last year.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
I'd be interested in that list as well, as I think that's who my FLGS uses and they also have a hard time getting IWM stuff I try to order.
Been going on for years. If your FLGS contacts IWM, they can work out something. https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=13293.msg312347#msg312347

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
That's what my FLG did.  However they had to make sure the group people pulled their interests together point out they were committed to buying stuff.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer

I, uh, can confirm that CGL does not have the Warhammer Fantasy license. Nor would they use a Cubicle 7 product number.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
Upon further investigation, neither does cubicle 7

What a weird confluence of errors

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
I, uh, can confirm that CGL does not have the Warhammer Fantasy license.

Forgeworld 6" BattleMechs. Rules for Sisters of Battle BA. Capellan trukks. Steiner Titans.

In the grimdark future of war, there is only my rejoicing ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Do Ice Hellions like to paint their mechs red?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Do Ice Hellions like to paint their mechs red?

Only after they take a cockpit crit.
Colt Ward