Author Topic: Seven  (Read 74144 times)

Antagonist

• Corporal
Re: Seven
« Reply #240 on: 07 December 2014, 05:10:19 »
By Black Box? Hardly. They were likely sent via HPG...  Code-Word Orders, something along the lines of. "Institute General Order 3035-267, under Sealed Orders in your briefing packets." Said sealed order being an Op-Plan for each posting to seize the HPG assigned to them.

I'd bet my life on it happening like this.

Comstar is done for, we'll now be witness to its death throes.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #241 on: 07 December 2014, 05:32:34 »
Of course, the current model Black Box in 3050 is the K-4, with a range of 600 LY and crossing 100 LY a day. A far cry from the old K-0s with 100 LY and 10 LY a day.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #242 on: 07 December 2014, 05:53:45 »
By Black Box? Hardly. They were likely sent via HPG...  Code-Word Orders, something along the lines of. "Institute General Order 3035-267, under Sealed Orders in your briefing packets." Said sealed order being an Op-Plan for each posting to seize the HPG assigned to them.

Not impossible, but ComStar, who are probably going to be very edgy, paranoid and on alert given their recent ... actions ... are probably going to be mighty suspicious about pre-planned code word orders that can only realistically be 'execute sealed order XYZ' being sent to every single FedCom world with a HPG...

Not enough probably to stop the messages being sent without hard evidence, but certinally enough for the ComGuard detachments to go on full alert, lock down the HPGs and put their own emergency contingency plan 'blow the HPGs up' onto hot standby.

Where as if you just sent out a dozen messages to major theater worlds (each a radial node of the BB network) it just looks like standard strategic traffic and hopefully you'll catch ComStar off guard.
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #243 on: 07 December 2014, 07:06:22 »
Ok, good point. Of course, you could hide the code-word inside something more mundane. Like an "all-points, change in who is hostile/change in procedure" order. Its just hidden inside the message is a code-word, distress code or some such.

But yes, transmit to each PDZ Command World? Thats doable. And then retransmit from there.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #244 on: 07 December 2014, 11:22:43 »
Either way, Hanse has got to be positively giddy over the chance to shove a nice big fat one right up c*'s proverbials.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #245 on: 07 December 2014, 12:43:48 »
Ahh Poor Comstar, I knew u well...

It was nice knowing u
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #246 on: 07 December 2014, 14:26:34 »
ComStar just up and pissed the Clans off.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #247 on: 07 December 2014, 15:20:50 »
The last couple of snips have fascinated me, Valles.  Well done.  More please!
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #248 on: 07 December 2014, 16:00:28 »
Nice update!  Hoping to see more updates when you can!  Keep it up!  Just wondering if you will have Khan Kerensky and Galaxy Commander Vera Tseng trial the Dragoon's for more info on Comstar and the innersphere?

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #249 on: 07 December 2014, 16:02:01 »
Either way, Hanse has got to be positively giddy over the chance to shove a nice big fat one right up c*'s proverbials.

Its all just a nice day for Hanse.

First he gets to, after carefully clearing his throat and straightening his jacket, stand up, look ComStar in the face and say politely "And a ****** You".
And then he idly drops the bombshell that the AFFC is busy building warships, I'm sure Romano was really happy to hear that bit of news...
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #250 on: 07 December 2014, 17:42:38 »
Nice update!  Hoping to see more updates when you can!  Keep it up!  Just wondering if you will have Khan Kerensky and Galaxy Commander Vera Tseng trial the Dragoon's for more info on Comstar and the innersphere?

Who says Ulric and Vera are going to need a Trial to get that info out of the Dragoons? Freely sharing whatever the information Wolf's Dragoons has on Comstar hurts the toaster worshippers, and Jamie Wolf's people would really like the sound of that.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #251 on: 07 December 2014, 18:04:16 »
Who says Ulric and Vera are going to need a Trial to get that info out of the Dragoons? Freely sharing whatever the information Wolf's Dragoons has on Comstar hurts the toaster worshippers, and Jamie Wolf's people would really like the sound of that.
Tradition, of course. They have to observe the formalities. 8)

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #252 on: 07 December 2014, 18:13:36 »
Vera Tseng challenges Natasha Kerensky to a wet T-shirt contest?  :D ;D

God knows there are a few canon examples of a Trial being something other then a fight like a coin toss, or a football game.

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #253 on: 07 December 2014, 20:07:16 »
Vera Tseng challenges Natasha Kerensky to a wet T-shirt contest?  :D ;D

Aww, dude, really bad mental picture. There is only so much plastic surgery that can help a +65(?) year old.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #254 on: 07 December 2014, 20:22:24 »
Oh almost forgot the other question I had...  Since Vera is there on Outreach, would she go and try hire anymore mercenary units to garrison the Clan GB zone, while the main forces hunts down Comstar?

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #255 on: 07 December 2014, 20:30:30 »
Aww, dude, really bad mental picture. There is only so much plastic surgery that can help a +65(?) year old.

No one, especially the published authors of battletech novels, ever bothers to remember it, but life spans with fully available and applied Clan medical tech should easily hit the two century mark if it wasn't for that pesky having to fight to the possible death every year.

fitzgerald

• Private
« Reply #256 on: 07 December 2014, 20:33:20 »
No one, especially the published authors of battletech novels, ever bothers to remember it, but life spans with fully available and applied Clan medical tech should easily hit the two century mark if it wasn't for that pesky having to fight to the possible death every year.

Considering Terrans consider prime child rearing years 80 or so.........

Battletech quite easily handles extended life spans

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #257 on: 07 December 2014, 21:28:40 »
Oh almost forgot the other question I had...  Since Vera is there on Outreach, would she go and try hire anymore mercenary units to garrison the Clan GB zone, while the main forces hunts down Comstar?

Well, CGB already has a considerable number of mercenary units 'on contract' for garrison purposes, but the grand council has imposed a freeze on any additional hiring.

Plus the Dragoons would almost certainly turn her down, and at this point in time, they're the only unit really operating off of Outreach.

Considering Terrans consider prime child rearing years 80 or so.........

Battletech quite easily handles extended life spans

The commander of Connie's unit, her great-great aunt, is, if I recall my original intent correctly, somewhere around 180, and in about the condition we'd expect of a hale and active eighty. Our descriptions of Natasha in the novels consistently paint her as looking an attractive 40ish - so that particular contest would actually be a plausible one, if she hadn't also been present for the Wolves' assault on Terra.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #258 on: 07 December 2014, 22:30:58 »
Wow. You killed Natasha off-screen?

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #259 on: 07 December 2014, 22:54:30 »
Yeah ... that takes balls dude :)

I was sorta hoping that she was busy in the OZ trying to use her fame and a big blunt object to hold the place together.
Hell now that I think about it, with Clan Wolfs main line forces & Naval flotilla now floating debris somewhere between Jupiter and Mars and ComStar no longer in play to hold their planets, Ulric must really have been in a rather 'fun' position vis a vis the AFFC charging in.

I'd kill to see how this 'peace agreement' between Hanse/Melissa and Ulric works, come to think of it. Because it sounds like the Wolves and Falcons are in a horribly exposed position, what with their frontline Galaxies dead along with most or all of their local Naval power. And I can totally see Ulric happily throwing the Falcons under the bus by coming to a peace agreement with the FedCom and letting them focus a counter offensive to sweep up the Falcons garrison units instead of his.

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #260 on: 07 December 2014, 23:32:25 »
Can you honestly imagine her tolerating being left behind for that operation? But that put her aboard a dropship in the middle of a warship fight - not a very survivable position, and I'm not a big believer in 'plot armor'.

Also, I believe she'd picked up Phelan as a protege by this point, and I really don't want to deal with the can of worms his survival would entail in this version of things.

The Wolf/FedCom Treaty...

- Returns legal title of Wolf-captured worlds to the FedCom (There were only two)
- Dictates that the FedCom provide transport for any former Wolf garrisons to Wolf-held worlds in the FRR
- Grants the Wolves space passage rights through FedCom space to and from Terra
- Requires a one-year cease-fire before either side may resume hostilities (This proviso was the Wolves' idea; the FedCom just shrugged and suggested long enough to finish draining ~80% of the Draconis and Crucis Marches' battlemech and aerospace strength to the Clan front if it were honored. AG Sudeten is only the beginning.)
- Gives the FedCom access to the Wolves' knowledge of HPG tech

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #261 on: 08 December 2014, 03:12:20 »
Question: When was the treaty signed? Relative to events in this (and date wise)?

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #262 on: 08 December 2014, 03:35:59 »
Somewhere in mid-May 3050; as soon as the Wolves realized that the Bears were doing an end-run to Terra, and had negotiated with the Combine to do it.

This was also when the Falcons threw together their attack group, but they had to fight through defended systems rather than make an 'easy run' of it the way the Wolves and Bears had.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #263 on: 08 December 2014, 15:09:48 »
So, how many of the Wolf and Ghost Bear Crusaders were on the ships that got a dose of instant sunshine?

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #264 on: 08 December 2014, 16:11:58 »
A good question, and one that I hadn't considered.

Hmmm.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #265 on: 08 December 2014, 16:17:06 »
In terms of the Wolves, I could actually see Ulric pulling a Refusal War.

Shuffling people around until, at least in the Officer Corps, the Clusters he was planning to lead into a Terran meat grinder were Crusader Heavy. Letting them win the ilKhanship for him, but then being dramatically knocked down in the Grand Council after the ComGuards kill off most of them, letting the Wardens dictate exactly what the ilClan will be doing to the Inner Sphere...

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #266 on: 09 December 2014, 01:27:33 »
So, how many of the Wolf and Ghost Bear Crusaders were on the ships that got a dose of instant sunshine?

If both the Khan and saKhan were lost, that means both of their commands, a Galaxy each were effectively lost as well. I doubt it would make much difference for the Ghost Bears, where the two were always evenly matched and were often pragmatic enough to switch from one to the other as circumstances dictated.

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #267 on: 01 July 2015, 23:36:56 »
Believe me, I'm as surprised to have this story talking to me again as you are. This scene is brought to you by another project, in a completely different fandom, that I'd intended to work on instead, and by the question of just where the Knights of the Inner Sphere came from, anyway...

OUTREACH, FEDERATED COMMONWEALTH
AUGUST 15, 3050

“You wished to speak to me, Captain-General?” Vera asked. She could afford to delay her departure long enough to talk to one of the most powerful men in the Inner Sphere.

Given the wars he’d been part of creating and perpetuating, she wouldn’t usually have been inclined to waste sympathy on the man, but the haggard, haunted look in his eyes and lined, grim-set face reminded her far too much of…

She shied away from the thought, and as she did, those inner demons made him come straight to grips with the mission that had brought him to speak with her.

“For most of my life, I have believed in the mission of Comstar,” he said. “To heal the wounds left by the Succession Wars, to preserve the glory and knowledge of the Star League - and to ensure that no would-be tyrant, no mere conqueror, gained power over the Inner Sphere before the time to truly rebuild had arrived. Even after I became Captain-General, I felt that in many ways to be my true mission in life.”

Vera blinked.

“You were not aware that I had been a member of the Order, earlier in my life?” he asked, seeing her expression.

She shook her head. “I was not,” she admitted.

“And yet, it is true. I was not the most likely member of the succession to the post of Captain General, and so was free to spend my younger years in study... “ His gaze went abstracted for a long moment. “Many things changed, afterwards.”

He shook his head, like a horse dislodging a fly. “But enough to say, one thing that has not changed is that the goal is, has always been, the ultimate benefit of civilization and its inhabitants. When the factionalism and conflicts of the Successor States finally burned out, Comstar would - as is its purpose - be in place to rebuild.”

An upraised hand stopped Vera from speaking. “You are about to question how Polcenigo serves that goal. I… find that I can only answer that it does not. Your own society, whatever else I might decry about it, proves that the fundamental assumption on which Comstar’s course to this date has rested, that technology and civilization cannot survive in conditions of ongoing conflict, is false.

“Which means that, far from shortening the course of the inevitable, and limiting the deaths caused by it, Comstar has instead become the very agent of that which it was formed to fight. And that is why I have asked to meet with you; so that I can tell you about Operation Holy Shroud…”

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #268 on: 02 July 2015, 02:46:53 »
*cheers*

Its alive! Alive!

Now. I wonder what FakeTom's game is here...
Is this him actually starting to have a genuine *personal* breakdown in his belief in ComStar, what it stands for and his role, yet trying to hold onto power in the FWL? Is this him acting on instructions from RealTom? I rather doubt he's actually had time to get any in relation to everything thats happened on Outreach. And Holy Shroud isn't exactly common knowledge outside of the very high levels of ComStar...

Not to mention his logic is rather ... flawed.

But thats what you'd expect of a Medium-Brown worshiper I suppose...

Looking forward to more!

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #269 on: 02 July 2015, 19:59:02 »
*cheers*

Its alive! Alive!

Now. I wonder what FakeTom's game is here...
Is this him actually starting to have a genuine *personal* breakdown in his belief in ComStar, what it stands for and his role, yet trying to hold onto power in the FWL?

That's the intent. Keep in mind that in canon, the Word of Blake took years to reach the point it did in the Jihad. This wouldn't've just been a logistical journey, but a psychological one, as well - and in this AU, the escalation of force used 'In Blake's Name' has been much sharper. FakeTom in 3050 is not going to be the same man as in 3067.

Is this him acting on instructions from RealTom? I rather doubt he's actually had time to get any in relation to everything thats happened on Outreach. And Holy Shroud isn't exactly common knowledge outside of the very high levels of ComStar...

Not to mention his logic is rather ... flawed.

But thats what you'd expect of a Medium-Brown worshiper I suppose...

Looking forward to more!

Any supposedly benevolent logic for supporting ComStar is going to be flawed, yeah.