Author Topic: Seven  (Read 74151 times)

Valles

• Master Sergeant
Re: Seven
« Reply #90 on: 15 November 2014, 18:37:57 »
SUSQUEHANNA, FREE RASALHAGUE REPUBLIC
MARCH 19, 3050

A sleepless night had confirmed that the idea that stunning young lucre… no, that mechwarrior had planted in her head might just be the answer to the problem she’d discovered as she started trying to juggle the needs of garrisoning the worlds that they’d taken. Vera and the saKhan had been so concerned with making sure that the front-line elements of the Galaxies had enough material that they had completely failed to check the Khan’s assumptions about how the territory they took would be kept.

Given that an active resistance movement had popped up on Thule as soon as Atropos and Ursa Major had jumped out of the system, his overly optimistic numbers were poised to bite them from behind and throw the success of Clan Ghost Bear’s part of Operation Revival into doubt.

Now, Vera dropped into the ‘visiting seat’ next to the bedside of Colonel Maia Kohler and covered her mouth as fatigue forced a titanic yawn out of her.

The Colonel looked like no human being she’d ever seen before; her skin was parchment-thin and sagged and slumped in a fine crinkle of lines and seams, as though it had first half-melted off of her bones and then desiccated away like a mummy’s while the flesh underneath wasted away to bone and blue veins.

Her eyes were hard and even older than her looks, and Vera’s own skin crawled as they seemed to pierce through her to pin her to the seat, never mind the obvious difference in physical capability. Before the crippled mech’s fall had broken both of her hips, the ancient warrior’s Shadow Hawk had been the one to deliver the last telling blow through the breached armor of the last Timber Wolf Vera had lost - in the same ambush the Colonel had masterminded.

Even without the alien weight her sheer antiquity leant to the woman’s presence, Vera had no intention of taking her lightly.

The old woman snorted indelicately. “So who are you that the medics cut my meds off to meet you?”

“Galaxy Commander Vera Tseng.”

Galaxy Commander.” The tone of the repetition was thoughtful. “Galaxy… Star Commander, Star Captain, Star Colonel... ‘Star’s’ for line service and ‘Galaxy’ for intel, huh?”

Vera blinked. “In fact, no,” she said. “You would say, ‘General’. Those offices senior to Galaxy Commander are as much political as military. Initial ranking in the Clan Touman is determined by trial by combat, and I am… an aberration.”

The shrewd, reptilian eyes hadn’t moved, judging her with an experience that had been old when the Golden Century died. “Hah. All right, Galaxy Commander. What can a harmless old grannie do for ya?”

Vera handed her the folder full of formal papers, saw the ancient eyes finally release her from their gaze to flick down and glance over the file - then return and read more slowly. “You want to hire the Regal Death.”

The top paper on the pile had been the formal release of the Regal Death from their contract, as ‘unfulfillable’, by the former governor of Susquehanna. The one under it was a testimony of the line of credit she’d spent part of the evening arranging with the Comstar flunky who was taking over his job. The rest was what the Comstar man had assured her was the correct paperwork to hire a mercenary unit to do what she’d told him she had in mind; as far as she was able to follow the dense and deeply opaque text, he was being accurate.

“I do.”

The Colonel read more, flipping through the legalese with an ease that Vera was frankly a little disturbed by. Then she set the file down and pinned her to her seat again.

“I’ve worked for a lot of right bastards in my time,” she said. “But they’ve been ones I knew a hell of a lot more about than I do you. I knew what their limits were, what they were after, where they came from. So I’ve got two questions for ya before I say ‘yea’ or ‘nay’.”

“Ask,” Vera said, forcing herself not to squirm, “and I will answer.”

“Hah. Okay, first one. This whole campaign you people are piling in on - what’s its goal? Territory, destroying the Successor States, something else?”

Vera took a breath to focus her thoughts on how to answer fully. “When the SLDF left the Inner Sphere in the Exodus, Aleksandr Kerensky defined their purpose as the establishment of a new society, which would be heir to the ideals of the Star League and could serve as a seed from which their virtue could return to the warring Inner Sphere.

“In the centuries since, two interpretations of this mission have grown up among us, their descendents. The Crusaders believe that it is to be accomplished by casting down the ‘barbarians’ that rule in the wake of the League’s collapse and replacing them with their own virtuous rule. The Wardens believe that it is a command to preserve themselves as the League’s shield and sword, outside of the Succession Wars, until the League should reform and command them again.

“The underlying goal of Operation Revival is to determine which faction will determine the course of all the Clans. Clan Wolf are among the most devout Wardens. Clans Jade Falcon and Smoke Jaguar are both bastions of the most stalwart Crusaders. Clan Ghost Bear is split, leaning slightly to the Crusader stance. Whichever of the four Clans assigned to Operation Revival reaches and conquers Terra first will be raised above the other seventeen and granted the right to dictate policy with regards to the Inner Sphere.”

The old woman took that on board with a poker player’s blankness. “Second question… What do you, Vera Tseng, want?”

Vera had, for some time now, tried not to think too much about the future. “...I want the killing to stop,” she said, hardly conscious of the words.

A bony, arthritic hand reached out to pat her on the knee. “Then you’re a good kid,” the Colonel told her gently, “and you’ve got yourself a short regiment - and your merc liaisons.”
« Last Edit: 15 November 2014, 21:22:14 by Valles »

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #91 on: 15 November 2014, 19:45:05 »
Vera Tseng truly is a contradiction within her Clan. She's pretty much going against what the Clans taught her about Mercenaries, and is actually questioning the overall goal of the Clans. Makes me wonder if she'll end up defecting like a certain MechWarrior from the Smoke Jaguars did.

BTW, there are seventeen Clans left, not eighteen.

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: 15 November 2014, 20:24:47 »
Until very recently - like, the last few days - I, the author, honestly did not know which way Vera was going to jump about her loyalties. Her angst and growing disillusionment with the Clan lifestyle and worldview have basically prepped her to question everything, which means that when she sees someone from a background she's been told to expect treachery and shiftless greed of show more loyalty and integrity than she'd expect of most Clan warriors, she throws out the assumptions, rather than the evidence.

With the Burrocks and Smoke Jaguars not yet eliminated at this point in the timeline, I count two clans out of the initial twenty lost - Wolverine and Widowmaker. Who am I missing?

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: 15 November 2014, 21:12:09 »
Mongoose. Absorbed by the Jaguars.

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 15 November 2014, 21:15:27 »
ARGLEBLARGLE!

Antagonist

• Corporal
« Reply #95 on: 16 November 2014, 01:53:25 »
ARGLEBLARGLE!
There, there. *pat pat pat*

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #96 on: 16 November 2014, 18:24:53 »
ARGLEBLARGLE!

*pats Valles on the back*

you've blown the mind of a grognard, you receive a pat on the back and 400xp
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #97 on: 16 November 2014, 18:49:44 »
ARGLEBLARGLE!

Don't worry about it, Phelan KellWolfWardKellTraitor somehow managed to get surprised by the number of active Clans represented on the Council of Khans after being inducted into the frikking warrior caste.

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #98 on: 17 November 2014, 13:31:50 »
Connie thinks that 'comically serious' is cute.

SUSQUEHANNA, FREE RASALHAGUE REPUBLIC
MARCH 25, 3050

Dieron’s Run vibrated underfoot and all around with the thunder of her sublight drive. In another eighteen hours, the distant roar would halt as the Warship made turnover, halfway to the Zenith jump point, but for now it was a constant companion.

The cautious, wary look on Consuela’s face as she joined Vera in the temporary mechbays set up in the battlecruiser’s cavernous holds made her stomach turn over itself in a dance of nervous butterflies. Between the difference in customs and the unaccustomed yearning for the tall beauty’s approval as well as her touch, Vera felt almost frantic that this moment should go right.

“Part of your unit’s bargain with the Clan,” she said, wondering if she sounded as awkward as she felt, “is that you be refitted out of our stocks. Since you will be deployed away from your mech as Delta Galaxy’s liason, I judged that that obligation would extend to seeing you properly mounted.”

She might not understand why Inner Sphere mechwarriors were so attached to particular mechs, but the uncomfortable itch of being unaugmented, of being unable to fight as she was meant to, was more than familiar enough.

Consuela blinked. “You’re loaning me one of your mechs?” she asked. “Wait, you’re carrying entire spare battlemechs around?”

“Not entire ones, no,” Vera answered. “But there were sufficient spares to assemble a Viper.”

“‘Viper’s not one of the names I remember you using,” was the thoughtful reply, accompanied by a glance at the pained expressions of the techs gathered and watching, “Executioner, Timber Wolf, Gargoyle, Warhawk, right?”

Vera nodded. “Correct. Most of the spares the Keshik has with it are for those designs, although of course podded equipment may be used by any Omnimech-”

Consuela nodded. That technological trick had impressed her even more than the lightweight and overpowered nature of the Clan’s gear had.

“-but we carry a leavening of parts for every design fielded, to ensure that we will be able to lend support if a Striker unit should lose its own logistical tail.”

“Makes sense. So what’s a Viper when it’s at home?” The techs winced again, and this time the mercenary asked, “And why does everybody flinch every time I open my mouth?”

How awkward. “There is a superstition among the Clans that contractions represent a disrespect to the sacred language of our founders.”

That got her a very strange look. “Oh… kay… a superstition?”

“I have read Shakespeare,” Vera answered, and wondered why that made her laugh. At least it was a nice laugh, one that made her wonder what it would be like to tickle her and wrestle with those long, long legs as her hand danced across the sun-bronzed skin of her stomach…

She realized she was blushing, and felt it intensify as it became clear that Consuela had noticed. “Ah… A Viper is a forty-ton omnimech, with a top speed of a hundred and thirty kilometers per hour and a two-hundred and forty meter jump radius. It mounts seven tons of ferro-fibrous armor plate and has an eight-and-a-half ton equipment pod capacity.”

“I’ll-” Consuela said, then corrected herself, “I will try and do better. Just for your sake, understand. So, which is your favorite play?” Her eyes were dancing a playfully as in Vera’s fantasy of a moment ago, but somehow, the rest of her expression and tone made it not nearly as welcome. “Romeo and Juliet?”

Fortunately, the attempt at embarrassment missed its mark. Vera knew perfectly well what she wanted, the difficult part was persuading her to accept. “Much Ado About Nothing,” she answered. “Romeo and Juliet ends badly because of histrionic foolishness on the part of the leads, and treats suicide far too casually. It is distasteful.”

Consuela laughed again. “You are so serious,” she remarked, leaving Vera wondering why that was worthy of comment. “So a Viper is a bouncy medium that’s as fast as a Locust and, what, twice as tough? You sure know how to impress a girl.”

“That was the idea,” Vera admitted.

“Awww, and you were doing so well at the ‘subtle’ thing,” Consuela cooed, and giggled as Vera blushed again. “Don’t worry, you’re - you are - still ahead. The state of flirting around here is so dire that you are winning points just for making the effort rather than going, ‘Ugh, want ******?’”

Morn was a perfectly capable warrior and in fact Vera liked him quite well, but coupling was his favorite entertainment, and the imitation of his voice was so devastatingly perfect that she found herself releasing a bark of laughter without intending to. “That is cruel,” she said. “He has a far wider range of approaches than simply asking. But let us get you checked out on the Viper.”

Consuela’s grin was eager, rather than flirtatious. “Yes, please.”

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #99 on: 17 November 2014, 14:40:26 »
I thing number 7 has found a new play tou itvseems to like, very amusing and this is getting good when bears start hiring mercs....

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: 17 November 2014, 15:26:47 »
I think Number 7 has found a new play toy it seems to like, which is hilarious. This is getting good. When Bears start hiring mercs...

When the idea of having a Clan hire local forces to work with them struck me, I kind of stared at nothing for a bit, thinking, 'Why did nobody think of this before?'

Because, really, it solves so many of the Clans' problems so very neatly.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #101 on: 17 November 2014, 15:50:59 »
Hehehe, sounds like the Connie and Vera are getting along QUITE nicely.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: 17 November 2014, 17:52:36 »
When the idea of having a Clan hire local forces to work with them struck me, I kind of stared at nothing for a bit, thinking, 'Why did nobody think of this before?'

Didn't one of the Clans do that during Klondike, essentially?

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #103 on: 17 November 2014, 18:59:24 »

Because they are damn dirty Freebirths who have not undergone a trial of position to be formally recognized as warriors? And following on, only Warriors are supposed to be, well, you know, warriors and granting that status to hire people to fight for the Clan...

Well, it does sorta undercut the whole special snowflake status of the warriors in a Clan    :)

Then again, I doubt its *illegal* per se as they are not being granted the other perks of Warriors like the ability to gain ranks in the Warrior cast, compete for Bloodnames yada  yada. They are allies of the Clan working for them, not members of the Clan themselves. Much like how the Wolves let ComStar keep the peace on worlds they took with local ComGuard detachments?

And unless the Clan Council submits an absurdly one sided vote against this, no-one is probably going to be crazy enough to tell her to stop it when she demands a Trial of Refusal and headcaps the asses of anyone stupid enough to bitch at her  O0

Hang on, let me correct that.

There may be Trueborns out there crazy enough to fight against her in a Trial of Refusal, but all that will do is earn them humiliating deaths, so no big loss :)
« Last Edit: 17 November 2014, 19:01:55 by Chris OFarrell »
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 17 November 2014, 20:09:50 »
Didn't one of the Clans do that during Klondike, essentially?

I wouldn't know; I don't have that book.

Because they are damn dirty Freebirths who have not undergone a trial of position to be formally recognized as warriors? And following on, only Warriors are supposed to be, well, you know, warriors and granting that status to hire people to fight for the Clan...

Well, it does sorta undercut the whole special snowflake status of the warriors in a Clan    :)

Oh, the In-Character, 'Watsonian' reasoning is easy enough. I'm more startled at its absence from the Out-of-Character 'Doylist' dialog among fans.

It's not like Clan Ghost Bear will have any trouble paying the bills involved, after all - they've got at least two million tons of germanium tied up in the incomplete Leviathans, maybe three, if the would-have-been-Rasalhague was part of the initial batch rather than being started at Alshain.

Then again, I doubt its *illegal* per se as they are not being granted the other perks of Warriors like the ability to gain ranks in the Warrior cast, compete for Bloodnames yada  yada. They are allies of the Clan working for them, not members of the Clan themselves. Much like how the Wolves let ComStar keep the peace on worlds they took with local ComGuard detachments?

Especially given that the big hole they should be filling would be garrison and line-of-communication work, freeing the Exodus Road supply lines for replacements and augmentations destined for the frontline Galaxies, yes.

Well, aside from Connie, whose status is kind of ambiguous.

And unless the Clan Council submits an absurdly one sided vote against this, no-one is probably going to be crazy enough to tell her to stop it when she demands a Trial of Refusal and headcaps the asses of anyone stupid enough to bitch at her  O0

Hang on, let me correct that.

There may be Trueborns out there crazy enough to fight against her in a Trial of Refusal, but all that will do is earn them humiliating deaths, so no big loss :)

And, by this point, she'll have the precedent with Comstar to point at and say, 'Hey, it's not like I were doing exactly the same thing with a unified organization that could totally ****** us over by having its own combined agenda.'

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #105 on: 17 November 2014, 20:10:58 »

I wonder if they could be considered part of the Merchant Caste...

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #106 on: 17 November 2014, 22:06:46 »
This might actually become a contributing factor in the Ghost Bears moving entirely to the Inner Sphere in this timeline. Being the first Clan to actually hire mercenaries certainly sets them apart, at least if Vera can defend her decision before the other Galaxy Commanders and the Khans.

Needless to say, any mercenaries looking for work with the Ghost Bears in the future had better have a nearly spotless record over the course of their merc career, or the Bears might just turn them down.

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #107 on: 17 November 2014, 22:33:47 »
"Come and work for Clan Ghost Bear! We may think of you as subhuman scum, but we still treat you better than the Kuritans or Rasalhague. Plus, Honor demands that we fairly uphold all of our contractual duties."

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: 17 November 2014, 23:04:14 »
"Come and work for Clan Ghost Bear! We may think of you as subhuman scum, but we still treat you better than the Kuritans or Rasalhague. Plus, Honor demands that we fairly uphold all of our contractual duties."

And any mercs on contract with them stand a better-than-average chance to score Clantech! Without having to shoot said Clantech up first!

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #109 on: 18 November 2014, 03:39:00 »
It is indeed a good idea opening up some new possibilities. I like this.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #110 on: 18 November 2014, 22:48:08 »

Well, aside from Connie, whose status is kind of ambiguous.

Connie in a Locust, a frigen Locust managed to dance around a Gods damned Binary of Heavy and Assault Omnimechs doing their very very best to kill her, run right through their formation singing and then run out the other side, without being touched.

I think her status would be something along the lines of  'Holy hell, she might be a Freebirth ... but ... holy hell! And she's hot! Damnit, the Galaxy Commander claimed her as her personal toy. F#*King brass, get all the good stuff'.

Or something along those lines.

Although how long these Mercs or others will go along with the Clans when they finally start to get that in the long term, this is an invasion that hopes to remove them from the equation all together as the Clans remake the entire Inner Sphere in their own image...well, that remains to be seen I guess.

Or if Vera because she's such a smartass gets sent by the Khan to Outreach to tell the Dragoons "Okay fine, you don't want to come home and work for free. I can actually dig that. So how much to hire you instead?"   :)
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #111 on: 18 November 2014, 22:52:54 »
Or if Vera because she's such a smartass gets sent by the Khan to Outreach to tell the Dragoons "Okay fine, you don't want to come home and work for free. I can actually dig that. So how much to hire you instead?"   :)

Now there's an idea I like  O0

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 19 November 2014, 00:37:49 »
Connie in a Locust, a frigen Locust managed to dance around a Gods damned Binary of Heavy and Assault Omnimechs doing their very very best to kill her, run right through their formation singing and then run out the other side, without being touched.

I think her status would be something along the lines of  'Holy hell, she might be a Freebirth ... but ... holy hell! And she's hot! Damnit, the Galaxy Commander claimed her as her personal toy. F#*King brass, get all the good stuff'.

Or something along those lines.

The core starting point of Connie's character, the thing I built her around, is the idea that she's as good a pilot as Vera is a gunner.

And a Locust is an excellent machine for what she was attempting to do. It's as fast as anything in a mercenary unit is going to be, and half-again faster than the Clan machines even before you bring in sprint-rules shenanigans, and small enough to believably turn on a dime for evasive maneuvers.

'Cause with fifteen Omnis blazing away, not even a 200-ton superheavy with maxed Hardened armor is going to have enough protection to survive on toughness, so her only prayer is to get their attention and then get away.

Although how long these Mercs or others will go along with the Clans when they finally start to get that in the long term, this is an invasion that hopes to remove them from the equation all together as the Clans remake the entire Inner Sphere in their own image...well, that remains to be seen I guess.

...Well I'll be damned.

That's kinda brilliant.

Thank you, sir, I shall accept your suggestion with glee.

Sadly, finding an example of a Clan Grand Council in the novels is taking me a while, but the delay lets me incorporate this idea, so it's not all bad.

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #113 on: 19 November 2014, 04:04:35 »
I'd meant to do the entire scene as one post...

...but it's late, here, and the punch-line here was way too good to pass up.

TURTLE BAY, DRACONIS COMBINE
APRIL 21, 3050

Connie’d gotten used to how screwy her job was - along with the idea that her boss didn’t see a single thing wrong with having it be her job at the same time that she was busily talking her into sleeping with her. The idea that she was being paid as much to be some kind of strategic advisor as she was to handle other mercs’ was… heady.

Especially since she’d reached the conclusion that Little Miss Sexy Sniper really did need a keeper.

The Flag Compartment of Dieron’s Run was equipped with a mind-boggling array of holographic projectors. With the lights down, as they were now, the real walls vanished and were replaced by the faintly-translucent projections of a barbaric council chamber straight out of humanity’s most savage pasts, forty seats on three levels, hung with animal hides and splendid banners.

In isolation, on a hanger, the ‘formal leathers’ had seemed more than a little ridiculous, not to mention much too brief for anything approaching a formal meeting - like the love child of a sling bikini and a set of biker gear, topped off with a five-year old’s Play Barbarian headdress.

In person, filled by a body that would have had a bright future in the kind of ‘women’s athletics’ magazines that had stopped pretending they were bought by anyone but horny fourteen-year-old boys, and by a mind that occasionally reminded Connie uncomfortably of a battlemech’s targeting computer or some kind of predatory insect, there was nothing playful about it.

Naturally she was damned if she’d let it show. “This image is going to feature in my fantasies from now on, you know,” she had observed, giving Vera a deliberately-obvious elevator eye.

“The only thing holding you back is your own choices,” was the answer, but the Ghost Bear seemed more distracted by the upcoming meeting.

“I promised my Papa, rest his soul, that I would never go to bed with someone before the third date. We have yet to have even one.”

Now, though, Connie stood in the holo-lit dark, wondering at the swell of pride that she felt at the way the Death’s dress uniform - fitted black greatcoat, trim and rank in silver and lining of vivid royal purple, tall leather riding boots with Davion-style spurs, close-fitted dress slacks (purple) and blouse (black) beneath, single crowned silver skull earring with its mismatched ruby and sapphire eyes - contrasted with the context. She felt civilized, disciplined, professional in the face of piratical barbarism. A corner of her mind realized, with some amusement, that she was standing in a razor-perfect parade rest.

It made an interesting contrast with standing in a planetary or national Court of the Inner Sphere, where she’d always felt a little bit rakish.

She watched the opening ceremonies, the Khans of the Clans in their costumes and their ferocious masks, with a dispassion that surprised her, made her feel a bit like an anthropologist observing a tribal culture - even if through a realtime HPG link across fifteen hundred light-years - then narrowed her eyes and tuned in even further as the council meeting got into the real business of the day.

The man that rose to speak, obviously physically present at the main site of the meeting, was one of the towering Elemental infantrymen, wearing a mask like a horse’s skull wreathed in flame. One arm was shrunken and twisted, seamed with artificial skin and scar tissue for all that it seemed to move smoothly. “Clan Hell’s Horses is concerned by reports that Clan Ghost Bear has begun to arm not only civilians, but the degraded barbarians of the Inner Sphere. Does Clan Ghost Bear care to answer this charge?”

The smaller of the two figures draped in enormous white pelts, showing the double-translucence of those who were attending the far-distant conference by hololink themselves, rose. “Clan Ghost Bear denies it, but knows which actions have woken the belief. Present by Hyperpulse link is Galaxy Commander Vera Tseng, at whose command these acts were undertaken.”

A ripple, not quite of whispers but of the desire to whisper, passed through the gathering of leaders and holograms. For a moment, Connie was stuck trying to figure it out - and then, thinking of Colonel Great-Aunt’s reactions to a client questioning the actions of one of her people, she had it.

Vera’s own boss had just basically hung her out to dry.

If that bothered her, though, she didn’t let it show, just stepped forward into the middle of the hologram and spoke. “To my knowledge, neither The Blitzkrieg nor any other unit of Clan Ghost Bear has provided arms to any not already bearing them.”

That won her a scornful laugh. “You try to flee from the issue by claiming that your pet freebirth are warriors?

Careful coaching before hand, and a subtle hand-sign, cued Connie to step forward. “I do not claim to be a warrior, in any sense beyond bearing the rank title of ‘Mechwarrior’. I am, and am proud to be, a soldier, bearing arms under discipline rather than for glory or vanity.”

The horse-headed Khan’s voice was a vicious sneer. “A soldier is a servant of a nation, not of filthy lucre! You profane the honor the word with your blasphemous claims!”

She let the old mocking smile show. “I grant that the Regal Death is a far smaller state than most, and forced to trade the service of those assets it does hold for certain necessities - but if the Khan is so foolish as to doubt my loyalty to it, he is courteously invited to come and test my skills and resolve for himself.” Beat. “If he thinks he’s hard enough.”

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #114 on: 19 November 2014, 04:41:30 »

She let the old mocking smile show. “I grant that the Regal Death is a far smaller state than most, and forced to trade the service of those assets it does hold for certain necessities - but if the Khan is so foolish as to doubt my loyalty to it, he is courteously invited to come and test my skills and resolve for himself.” Beat. “If he thinks he’s hard enough.”

Oh no you di'n't ...

So, Turtle Bay. No sign of Hohiro?

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Akira213

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #115 on: 19 November 2014, 09:11:16 »
the most honourable way to serve your clan is to do it under arms. Every clan member looks up to (or is at least supposed to) to those few that are good enough to do that. You also can't raise any higher in your social society than that.
And now Vera gifts this to a regiment of people that are new in the clan without even securing that they are worth this honour.
And these regimental people dont even accept bondsmanship and say "yes, thanks alot, we will give our best to be worth this honour", no, this scum that is socially just in the reach of the dark caste wants PAYMENT to do it ?!
Thats a slap in the face of every clan warrior. Probably even more to the freeborn who had to work their asses off to become warriors.
And we all know how warriors react to a slap in the face ;) I see an uproar in the GB Touman. And after the twentieth dead warrior by Veras hands in the following Grievance Trials her Khan has no other choice than to react. IMO in two different ways: Order the Touman to stop any Grievance Trials against Vera, which would mean he confirms Veras doings. Which would react in an uproar against him ? ("Omg, our own Khan cant see that this is against all we learned and stand for...", etc.). Or second choice, he puts Vera out of comission and put her somewhere where she cant hurt the clan anymore.
And fact is she does hurt her clan. All clans. At least as much as Ulric the Traitor does.

And the Falcon or Jaguar reaction if they get to know this...omg.
"What should I want in heaven when all my best friends burn in hell..."

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: 19 November 2014, 11:16:59 »
the most honourable way to serve your clan is to do it under arms. Every clan member looks up to (or is at least supposed to) to those few that are good enough to do that. You also can't raise any higher in your social society than that.
And now Vera gifts this to a regiment of people that are new in the clan without even securing that they are worth this honour.
And these regimental people dont even accept bondsmanship and say "yes, thanks alot, we will give our best to be worth this honour", no, this scum that is socially just in the reach of the dark caste wants PAYMENT to do it ?!
Thats a slap in the face of every clan warrior. Probably even more to the freeborn who had to work their asses off to become warriors.
And we all know how warriors react to a slap in the face ;) I see an uproar in the GB Touman. And after the twentieth dead warrior by Veras hands in the following Grievance Trials her Khan has no other choice than to react. IMO in two different ways: Order the Touman to stop any Grievance Trials against Vera, which would mean he confirms Veras doings. Which would react in an uproar against him ? ("Omg, our own Khan cant see that this is against all we learned and stand for...", etc.). Or second choice, he puts Vera out of comission and put her somewhere where she cant hurt the clan anymore.
And fact is she does hurt her clan. All clans. At least as much as Ulric the Traitor does.

And the Falcon or Jaguar reaction if they get to know this...omg.

You say this as if the Clans weren't already doomed in their present form the moment they started interacting with the Inner Sphere. Blindly maintaining tradition just means their destruction would be literal and absolute.

As to the Falcons with Crichell The Not-Warrior being a Khan, and the Jaguars turning their back on the one redeeming quality of the Clan way of life to murder millions of civilians, pardon me while I scoff.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2014, 12:45:44 by consequences »

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #117 on: 19 November 2014, 12:44:30 »
As to the Falcons with Crichell The Not-Warrior being a Khan, and the Jaguars turning their back on the one redeeming quality of the Clan way of life to murder millions of civilians, pardon me while I scoff.

Eh, I can see the Ghost Bears backing Vera on her decision just to piss off the Falcons and Jaguars, even more so when those two suffer their first defeats by Inner Sphere forces.

Akira213

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #118 on: 19 November 2014, 15:29:30 »
don't get me wrong the whole reason to write an AU is to make it different to the canon storyline ;) And I admit I like the OP's writing style :)

And of course you're right, the way of the invading clans was doomed the second they set foot in the IS. But it took the clans quite a while to realize that. I just think paying some mercenaries would have a major impact on the 3050 clans - even the GB.

"What should I want in heaven when all my best friends burn in hell..."

Valles

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #119 on: 19 November 2014, 20:59:45 »
Note to self: No more political decision making scenes.

The entire chamber exploded, ringing with the sound of angry shouts as almost half the other Khans came onto their feet in sheer outrage.

The rest were laughing. The Hell’s Horse was apparently not well-liked.

When order was - finally - restored to the meeting, one of the two crow-masked Khans addressed Vera. “Your substantive argument, then, is that your contacts with these lucrewarriors do not represent an interference with the rights and duties of the warrior caste, nor of the Martial Code handed down from Nicholas Kerensky’s wisdom, because you have not granted them presence in our councils beyond the class of called witnesses under which this most courageous soldier has appeared, nor bloodright, nor even of the holy privilege of bearing arms in service of the Clan, because those arms they bear are carried not for the glory and benefit of Clan Ghost Bear, or other potential contractors, but for the sake of their own trothkin among their unit, which has dealt with the Clan entire as another Clan would.

“Well enough and good, so far as it goes, provided that they have not presumed to deal on that ground as equals-”

Connie shook her head. “Scale alone would prohibit that,” she denied.

“-thank you, Warrior - however, and,” humor bubbled in the voice, “without wishing to question the honor of those currently present, to what degree can we rely upon honorable behavior from these new allies of yours, Vera Tseng? Within our own number, we may gauge each other’s honor, know the weight of the word of our brother Clansmen, but we know little of how much honor has survived in the Inner Sphere in the centuries we have stood apart, and but little of their history that we may judge it rightly. In taking these lucrewarriors as your allies, you link your honor to theirs - and through you, that of the Clans entire.”

Honor?” one of the Smoke Jaguar Khans came to his feet, roaring like the big cat his mask depicted. “You dare profane the word by applying it to these backstabbing filth, these-”

An electronic control muted his projection. The Oathkeeper, who had triggered that control, spoke into the resulting pellucid silence. “The Honored Khan is out of order.”

The Raven looked at Vera. “That you trust the honor of this one’s kin I do not doubt, nor but that you have reason. I would be remiss if I did not judge those reason for myself.”

“Speaking of my own experience, I have seen mercenary forces use artillery and ambush - as the Wolves did in raiding Arcadia before the Blitzkrieg departed for the Inner Sphere. I have seen them use massed fire - as the Ice Hellions did, defending upon Hector.”

Vera smiled, coldly. “I have not seen them initiate combat in an inhabited city, as the Jade Falcons did on Persistence, nor fired on evacuating civilians to force their defending warriors to accept a suicidal clash as was done on Here. I have not seen them level entire towns in the tantrum of a spoiled child when their enemy failed to accept destruction, as the Smoke Jaguars have done on Virentofa.”

“I refuse to accept that this is even a matter for discussion, and I refuse to accept these blasphemous insults,” hissed one of the Jade Falcon Khans, and Vera turned her smile on him.

“Your challenge is accepted,” she said sweetly, and Connie had a hard time containing her amusement at the way his body language reflected sudden consternation and alarm. “I will fight Augmented; fortunately, we are both assigned to the front line and will be able to face each other directly.”

That started a rising commotion that the Oathkeeper cut off with a bellow. “Enough! I will sanction no more interruptions in this sacred space!”

Vera bowed her head in submission, then went on. “Additionally, Comstar, an organization which we already trust for the majority of our intelligence-gathering and civil administration tasks within Operation Revival’s area of operations, serves as the primary neutral arbitrator of mercenary contracts and disputes for the entire Inner Sphere. As part of that, they keep detailed records of each mercenary group’s capabilities and reliability; allowing us to ensure that only those groups which have already demonstrated impeccable trustworthiness are involved in the honor of the Clans.

“Finally, I do not propose to deploy contracted forces in a manner where there would be risk of their showing up the frontline forces of more laggard clans than the Ghost Bear-”

A wolf-headed figure gave her an ironic salute; the Jaguar and Falcon Khans glared.

“-but in place of Provisional Garrison Clusters.”

“Which you did not bring,” one wag said.

“Which my honored Khan did not feel would be required, correct,” Vera acknowledged. “Having discovered more honor among Mercenary warriors than my training and historical education had led me to expect, and, Consuela having offered the idea as my only alternative to accepting her bondsref and losing access to the most skilled mech pilot anyone in my command Keshik had ever seen, I judged the course I took as the least wasteful solution to several combined problems.”

Another of the khans leaned forward and spoke to Connie directly. “How skilled a pilot are you, then, Mechwarrior?”

Connie turned and gave him a bow. “I would say I am about as good a pilot as the Galaxy Commander is a gunner - and, I grant, about as good a gunner as she is a pilot.”

No one actually laughed at the joke, but the temperature of the room seemed to thaw a bit, enough for actual negotiation and discussion to start happening. Behind her professional mask, Connie thought that the perverse lust for her babies was actually more than a bit disturbing, but if it kept the council from ordering Vera to betray her deal with the unit, she’d take it.

In the end, the council voted - by a margin of only one vote - not to censure Clan Ghost Bear for hiring outsiders to reinforce its defensive garrisons, although, as Connie had quietly expected, getting that took an agreement that no further hiring would take place.

As the holograms faded and the lights of the actual compartment aboard Dieron’s Run came back up, Connie slumped out of her parade rest and let her breath whoosh out of her lungs in a titanic sigh. “Man, I hate politics,” she said.

Vera took her headdress off and ran a hand through sweaty, recently-re-dyed hair. “You will hear no disagreement from me,” she said. “We owe saKhan Crow a debt, as well. That vote would have gone against us without his management.”

“Think he’d like a fruit basket?”

Vera laughed, and smiled up at Connie in a way that introduced an unfamiliar flutter to her chest. “SaKhan DelVillar arranged his support, so that would perhaps not be appropriate, although he is reputed to be fond of brandy. How many units accepted before the freeze?”

Connie didn’t even need to check her notes. “Going into the meeting, we had equivalent to about twenty-four armor and vertol regiments, about the same in jump and mechanized infantry, and a bit over eight battlemech regiments. Plus whoever’s got a message waiting in my queue. You do not want to know what the extra early-cancellation payoffs run to, though.”

“‘To make war,’” Vera said, quoting from a book Connie had given her, “‘Three things are needed. Money, money, and yet more money.’ Treasure can be replaced; time cannot. Thank you, Consuela.”

Connie almost, almost made a joke about that being what she was paid for - but she knew that Vera would have taken it as a personal rejection. “You’re welcome,” she said instead.

Register